A Fresh Start

Workout:

AM- 20 minutes on the elliptical and taught a 45 minute spin class

PM- Taught Y50X and step class, 30 minutes on the elliptical

I discovered that the Mizuno Evo Cursoris shoes are great on the elliptical.

I took the day off from running since there still isn’t any improvement, but I had to sport Mizunos this morning to make myself feel better.

And then, well, I did what I had to do to end the night too to attempt to keep in the “training” mindset.

Don’t mind my huge pile of magazines on the ground. I had to sort through my reading material. That elliptical was really weird by the way. You could do all these weird things with the stride rather than it just being a standard set one. It was very awkward, which is probably why it was the only one open. I was too embarrassed to move to a different one though since it took me forever to get situated. At least I worked up a little pain free sweat.

I finally cried a little bit in the car tonight about my darn hip/groin. I don’t know what to do. I went to the chiropractor today (with the boys, that was fun) so we’ll see if there’s any improvement tomorrow. I have an appointment tomorrow with the orthopedic surgeon who is also a sports medicine specialist. Fingers crossed he can at least pinpoint what’s wrong. It’s so hard just not knowing right now. I will do whatever he tells me to do. I got my X-rays back too with some news, but I won’t bore you with it now as they don’t think it’s related to what’s going on with my current problem. It’s just a whole different one I’ve got going on.

Lovely.

Anyhoo….

This morning I told myself it was a new beginning. Actually, I can’t take credit. It was this devotional I read way past my bedtime.

(From She Reads Truth.)

We’ve been given a new life and the future starts now. I’ve been telling myself it’s time “start” all day today. For me, it’s time to refocus, time to clean things up around here (the diet, the house, the blog, etc.) and work on my priorities again.

Anyone else feel like that?

Today was a fresh start.

(My favorite flower by the way.)

Since the Easter Bunny is a good friend of Coach’s Oats and dropped off some additional goodies the other morning,

I felt it was my duty to start fresh by being a good Mommy and trying to make some bunny and egg pancakes.

Key word was “trying”.

Oopsies.

Luckily, you can’t really go wrong with this pancake mix. It’s just too delicious and the boys still ate them up. Not sure how those cool cut outs are supposed to work though. Hmm….

I was back to my usual cinnamon sugar breakfast STUFTwich.

Decided to live dangerously and cut it in half today though.

Sometimes I really want my breakfast STUFTwich whole and sometimes I want it cut in half. Is that weird? By the way, when I do cut sandwiches it half, they always have to be cut diagonally. Anyone else?

Lunch was whipped together very quickly. I’m going to try to get back into salads for lunch again since the weather is warming up. I made some yum hum dressing with this hummus from Trader Joe’s.

IMG_7846 IMG_7845

Then topped it with leftover chicken from our Easter party at Tutu’s.

We enjoyed lunch outside with some beautiful music.

I’m not going to lie, some days I really want to throw that thing far far away.

And sometimes I really just don’t know what to do with this guy.

Joaquin front yard

Yeah, this happened when I was trying to unload the car. You’d think we’d all learn from our little episode last week, but no.

What did I do wrong? Someone help me.

I roasted the heck out of some veggies tonight too.

And had one heck of a good tasting dessert while heating and icing my groin/hip/crotch.

Nonfat Chobani mixed with GNC chocolate egg protein powder, a little of my  favorite cocoa powder and a couple drops of vanilla stevia mixed with low calorie peanut butter frosting. I stuck it in the freezer for a bit so it was more of a frozen yogurt treat. It reminded me of that amazing chocolate peanut butter flavor at Baskin Robbins. Hands down my favorite ice cream of all time (actually, it a close one between that and Ben and Jerry’s Chubby Hubby).

Okay, gotta get to bed. I’m up past my curfew. Beavis.

Hope you had a wonderful start to April.

Is it a fresh start for anyone else? If so, what are you focusing on?

Do you have to cut your sandwiches? Down the middle or diagonally?

What’s your favorite ice cream flavor ever?

Comments

Louise says:

I feel your pain with your injury. I’ve been there, plantar fasciitis had me for a whole month once, then my IT band for 3 months it was so bad – no running at all. I relished in spin classes and the eliptical. But spinning gave me a little more of that adrenalin rush. I am wishing you a speedy recovery. Don’t beat yourself up. You do ALOT of training and alot of being mom and wife and I guess maybe you pushed yourself a little too far. Take it easy on yourself. Your meals looks delicious! I love raw vegan banana-kale ice cream actually, some weird concoction I came up with once at home, which tasted delish.

Jessie says:

I know how hard it can be to deal with an injury or health concern, but in some sort of way it’s a good thing. It’s good that your body does recognize when something is wrong, and that it has and will continue to carry you through obstacles you may face. Just stay patient, and know that God would never throw you a challenge that he didn’t think you could work through! Sending many prayers your way <3

Amy says:

I’ve been where you are with injuries…not knowing is the worst! At least after your appointment today, you will know what is wrong and can start a plan to get to healing…even if that means taking some time off running.

Susan says:

Hang in there! Injuries stink, and most of us don’t make good patients! :). Have you had an MRI yet? Seems to be where a lot of answers come from (hate those things, BTW, but they are such a good diagnostic tool!). Don’t make the same I have made numerous times: I start to feel better, then I “test” it by running again !! Wait it out-let it rest,even if it feels better! Once you have an official diagnosis and a “plan”, you will feel somewhat better as you will feel like you are moving forward and not spinning your wheels.

Is that also part of your backyard? Lovely!

I love ALL ice cream …asking the wrong gal here…but, I have always had an issue with heartburn (TMI? ha!) and over the weekend when I actually ate less due to the flu I feel like I am on day 3 of the worse heartburn ever!!!! So my fresh start has involved my eating (again) BIGTIME. Time to really be done wth the triggers and do better with that little thing called “portion control”.

As in Jeremiah 29:11 ……”For I know the plan I have for you declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you Hope and a future”…..

Danielle says:

ah still no answers? sounds eerily similar to my injury a couple years ago, turns out i had problems with my psoas. can show up as pain in the groin/hip/lower back/side butt? lol hope you get answers soon!

Brittany says:

Sorry about the injury- been there, done that and its devastating. What got me through was completely changing my fitness goals and decided that if I couldn’t run it would be a great opportunity to really work on weight lifting :). As for cutting a sandwich; I always cut down the middle. I do not like the pointy edges from the diagonal cut. lol

lindsay says:

fresh starts are always needed. maybe God has a different plan for you this season. trust Him. Keep us posted on the doc!!

Miz says:

HUGS……..

I’m with you on the fresh start. I’m starting simple and am just trying to build a stronger religious foundation. I feel like when I’m going through the stormy times in life, it’s probably best to start back at the beginning, so that’s my focus for now and hopefully other things will start falling into place. I just bought a sign for my kitchen: “Every Day Is a Second Chance.” I saw it and had to have it. I think it’s my motto right now when I feel like I’m failing on a daily basis. Hang in there! From one injured runner to another, injuries SUCK but they make us stronger… at least that’s what I tell myself. 😉

I hope you get some answers soon.
    And, you did nothing wrong with the little cuties – they are just boys!! They will outgrow the need to pull down their pants outside!!!
    My fresh start – more time outside in the evenings with my family!! (I guess that’s not a fresh start – just enjoying spring – oh, well!)

Tess says:

Praying that God will give you the strength to handle your injury and heal quickly!!!! Diagonal cut always 😉

SO sorry you aren’t feeling well but I’m glad you’re looking at this as a fresh start!! Sending positive vibes your way!

Marilyn says:

I’m coming back from an injury and have really been trying to focus on a “fresh start.” I want to be healthy/fit, but not just my body. I want my relationships (with God/family/friends/co-workers) to be healthy/fit, first and foremost. Easier said than done. 🙂 But it has sometimes been really refreshing too. So, cheers to your fresh start!

Oh sweetie – I am so sorry you’re dealing with this injury right now. Crying is a good release – gotta let it out and vent a little. Then pick ourselves up and move on. I’ve gone through the injury roller coaster too many times. It’s frustrating and it makes you feel like your body is failing you. Have you gone to a PT yet? I sure hope you can figure out what’s going on so you can at least address the problem then move forward stronger and smarter.

meredith says:

It is always good to look on the bright side, roast up some good veggies and attempt a cute pancake for the kids. I am all about the glass half full and a fresh start mentality is key in life. Sometimes, we need to constantly accept and turn to fresh starts over and over to remain sane. After my divorce, I swear I have learned to forever remind myself the bright side of situations and fresh starts. A side of ice cream never hurt either. Love dessert! Lately I am digging Cold Stone Creamery but it is more about the chocolate dipped waffle bowl than the ice cream…. I hope you are feeling better and you get some helpful medical answers asap.

Samantha says:

I am impressed you didn’t cry sooner! I know, in the whole scheme of life you have to keep perspective, but still, this is stress. I am actually impressed you can do some activity still. That is a good thing. I have had injuries that have made even walking a challenge. I love fresh starts and new beginnings. I started a new quarter Monday…hum…that really isn’t invigorating though is it?

Thinking of you!

Jess says:

So sorry about the injury! I’m coming back from a stress fracture, and ended up having to take almost 4 months off from running. I feel your pain. The machine you were using is an AMT and it is actually my favorite to use while injured. The range of motion is much better than an elliptical and I can get my heart rate almost as high as running. Also I would recommend pool running if you have the option! It’s a good thing I’m a triathlete and could swim and bike while I wasn’t able to run. I love cake batter ice cream, in fact I made a cake batter protein shake today that was fantastic! Good luck and hope you get answers soon.

I need to learn about pool running. Glad you’re coming back from your injury. Sending more healing thoughts your way!

• Jess says:

Pool running is super boring but is amazing!! It was my only option for a while. I’ve had more than my fair share of running injuries (this last one was a fractured fibula in November). Not fun but now I don’t take ONE step for granted!! I’m so thankful for pain free running!! And don’t forget your good friend the foam roller!! (aka torture therapy)

Chelsea says:

I’m also surprised you haven’t cried yet – that kind of injury can be so darn frustrating! But I always try and think that, maybe, the reason that those things are so frustrating is because God is doing something we just don’t understand yet, and not understanding can be one of the hardest things of all. So I say keep up the good (if boring) elliptical work and thanks for sharing the frustrations of your injury. Fingers crossed to hear that the doc has some answers to your questions!

Amanda says:

Pretty sure it’s a scientific fact that sandwiches taste better when cut diagonally

Kim Perry says:

I have to give you credit for all the icing you’ve been doing! I hate icing sore spots but you gotta do it!
    And I love those pancake cut-outs!

Holly says:

I feel for you. I love the devotional, “Jesus Calling” by Sarah Young. I thought of you when I saw this entry…hope it can encourage you.

” Thank me for the conditions that are requiring you to be still. Do not spoil these quiet hours by wishing them away, waiting impatiently to be active again. Some of the greatest works in My kingdom have been done from sick beds and prison cells. Instead of resenting the limitations of a weakened body, search for My way in the midst of these very circumstances. Limitations can be very liberating when your strongest desire is to live close to Me.

Quietness and trust enhance your awareness of My Presence with you. Do not despise these simple ways of serving Me. Although you feel cut off from the activity of the world, your quiet trust makes a powerful statement in spiritual realms. My strength and power show themselves most effective in weakness.”

Sarah M says:

The elliptical that’s yellow and gray actually seems more like running to me than the other one. I spent lots of time on that one in January when I was injured. I also cried. That’s ok too. Loved that devotional you shared! Try not to get too discouraged, you are one awesome runner and you will be back out there before you know it!

Tiffany says:

I had a similar hip/groin problem a few years ago. It was very frustrating particularly because it happened before my first marathon. I went to PT which really helped and had them massage, use stimulation, and ice massage it (awkward, yes, but it helped). I also went to my chiropractor and he used cold laser therapy which I find to be amazing. I highly recommend it. I hope you feel better soon. I am sending positive thoughts your way.

Michelle Washington says:

Your injury sounds all too familiar to me about 2 years ago. It was a pain that I had never felt before. I had xrays did physical therapy and nothing seems to work. They even talked about doing a hip scope!! The elliptical never seem to bother it so I did that while trying to figure out what steps to take next. Physical therapy didn’t help and at some point the pain just started to decrease and I was able to start running again after about 3 months. Hang in there this too shall pass!!

Stephanie says:

Try to hang in there. I know it’s hard. I’m currently recovering from a hip stress fracture (1/1:3). I still can’t run. Try to appreciate what you can do. I know easier said than done.

holly says:

Maybe if only fill the cutouts halfway they will cook better. Or freehand a bunny and egg without the cutouts. Hope you find some answers to your pain and get better soon. Been there and did not like the outcome. The doc said it was because I was old! Seriously?

Oh girl, I know how frustrating it is when you’re body’s not cooperating the way you think it should. It’s that “out of control” feeling that gets me feeling down too – but your attitude is great! Remember that God uses these things to make us better, even if we don’t always like the process!! Sending prayers your way!

I’m laid up with a broken ankle right now….wishing I could have a fresh start!!

That’s a great attitude to have right now . . . a new beginning! Hang in there. Dealing with injury sucks, but the body is an amazing thing, and it will heal!! 🙂

Aime Snazel says:

I’m praying for you friend, and believing for the manifestation of your healing in Jesus’ name! God is good, all the time! I feel for you, I too was sidelined with an IT band injury once that took me from my running for 2 months. Another time it was a pulled hamstring. I think as women athletes, we often push ourselves through pain because we feel we can, that we are strong enough to handle it. I have learned, and am learning though that when you start to feel pain, stop, stretch, use the foam roller, ice, ice, ice, and lots of rest. You know your own fitness level well enough to know that taking a few days or even weeks, when necessary, will not take away your fitness. Sometimes your body needs rest more than it needs the exercise. As a fellow fitness instructor, I also know that when its also your job, it’s even more difficult. Don’t forget how important you are in all of it though-if you take care of yourself well, those around you will be well taken care of. We’re here for you! Sending thoughts and prayers, and encouragement your way! 🙂

Caitlin says:

Mixing GNC egg protein with nonfat greek yogurt is my new favorite treat! I have the vanilla ice cream flavor. I also freeze it for a little bit, then mix in some strawberries. Tastes like cheesecake filling! Keep the good ideas coming 🙂

Bridget says:

I could’ve watched the boys during your appointment …even Joaquin…..I’ll weld him into his underwear!!!! I am around so call me.

Nicole @ Fruit N Fitness says:

So sorry to hear your still hurting 🙁 I like thinking of spring as a new start, I am going to try to start fresh with my eating habits that I let get out of control over the winter. I would like to lose the weight I gained while training for my half marathon. That ‘icecrem’ yum!

Lindsay says:

So sorry about your on-going, frustrating injury. I’m in the same boat as you – and have been for a year and a half. I know how it feels to be so down and defeated, but I think your attitude is great. You WILL find answers and you WILL get better. Keep resting up, visiting those docs and staying positive.

Sorry to hear about your injury! Sending you healing vibes 😉

I am trying to focus on a new start as I finally got my own place. I am excited to start focusing on me again.

Ugh! I ache for you and this undiagnosed injury. Hoping you find the answer and speedy treatment fast. I love the verse and your approach to April. Calla lilies are my fav too–wedding flower 😉 Thinking of you.

Pam says:

thinking of you mama!! really crossing my fingers for you & hoping everything is ok. 🙂 loving your positivity.

when the kids ask for shaped pancakes. I usually make them into larger circles & cut them after I cook them. 🙂 HUGS

Leslie says:

Sometimes crying just helps you release the pent up frustration. Praying for you 😀

I totally know what you mean about being ready for a fresh start. Time to get things in order and make some much needed changes (or small tweaks) to some things.

I’m a sandwich lover I make sandwiches out of just about anything. So eating it whole or in half depends on what I am eating. normally I like it cut in half though!

1. […] tried to get the boys excited about their leftover pancakes by doctoring them up a […]

2. […] subbed in some Coach’s Oats multigrain pancake mix, coconut oil and chocolate chips for the […]