An Impulse Buy, Late Night Dinner and Another Kick in the Butt

Workout:

Taught a Y50X class and a strength training class

Elliptical for 40 minutes (But it didn’t have the moveable arm things, so maybe it’s not considered an elliptical. Hmm…. I wonder….)

Went to Trader Joe’s tired and hungry about 10 minutes before they closed. I’m sure they love that. It wasn’t good. It’s a bit of a blur what I actually put in my cart. Quite a few bags of broccoli slaw, thin baby carrots (for sweet roasted carrots), the biggest bananas I could find (since they’re $.19 per banana- I have to get the most for my money), a bunch of easy frozen dinners to whip together, etc.

And I bought this.

What the? Psyllium husk? I remember hearing something on a Jillian Michaels podcast about taking this to make you feel full. I also just saw a bread recipe or something that used this in it. Too bad I have no idea where I saw the recipe or anything. I hate it when that happens.

So, yeah, any information you have for me or recipes so I can use this stuff would be greatly appreciated.

Can I use it in place of coconut flour in recipes?

I was back to my old ways last night just for a bit. Roasted broccoli slaw with mushrooms topped with marinara and salad at 10:30pm.

Followed by this little Chobani bite cup

and staying up a little too late. Oopsies.

I should tell you that I did some serious damage at the LEGOLAND Hotel dessert buffet during our stay.

I really need to remember that I can’t eat like a horse when I’m working out about half as much as usual. No wonder my pants have gotten a bit snug. It sure doesn’t help that I’m stressed out about the whole injury thing also. It’s a slippery slope friends.

Beavis.

Oh well.

Here’s a good article though from Runner’s World that conveniently made it’s way into my email inbox.

How to Avoid Weight Gain While Injured

There’s some pretty good tips in there.

Oh, and this Runner’s World “Daily Kick in the Butt” couldn’t have come at a better time last night.

image

Love it.

You know, if this injury has me knocked down at the moment, I’m okay with it. I need to work on a few personal things anyway. But man, if I’m truly out for a bit running-wise, does it ever make me that much more determined to have one heck of a comeback story.

And……

we’re off for more gallivanting around at LEGOLAND today (until my doctor appointment to find out MRI results).

Just my men and I.

We’re so lucky.

Happy Friday!

What do you have planned this weekend?

Comments

Ida says:

I’ve used psyllum husks in baking. I also heard people eating it or something. I don’t think I would though, I think you get constipated if you eat too much.

Marilyn says:

Oooo… is this the bread recipe you were thinking of? http://mynewroots.org/site/2013/02/the-life-changing-loaf-of-bread/ I’ve been wanting to try it but wasn’t sure where to get psyllium husk. Now, I’ll keep an eye out for it at TJ.

Pam says:

have a great time at legoland today!! 🙂 I made roasted carrots & green beans for dinner last night. They got just a lil bit crispy & I thought of you. 🙂

Just keep those thoughts positive, girl! Healing your body now is what’s most important.
    Hope you and your boys have a ton of fun today!!

OMG that Daily Kick in the Butt??? So perfect. I need to print that out and post it all around me. I’ve been trying to do that – instead of freaking out and thinking the worst, I’ve been trying to stay positive and surround myself with the positive. Here’s the getting healthy!

Rachel says:

I love psyllium husk! You can use it in pretty much anything, sometimes I will add it to protein shakes/smoothie which helps make them a little bit thicker and creamier. Here is a pancake recipe that I use psyllium husk in! http://www.blogilates.com/recipe-index/healthy-breakfasts/pre-contest-protein-pancakes

So sorry about your injury, that quote sums it up nicely though, we often need something like an injury to force us to take time for ourselves. Sad but true! I often go so hard & for so many days in a row that I want to just sleep for days, I need to get better about resting & taking it easy. Enjoy Legoland, I’m sure that will take your mind of the other things 🙂

Chelsea says:

Just keep bathing in awesomeness, girl. You’ll get through it 🙂 fingers crossed for the MRI results!

morgan says:

I take psyllium husk daily in capsule form for the fiber & to help in digestion, but I have recently seen it a lot in GF recipes subbed for flax or as a filler in smoothies. It is good stuff! It’s like the runners world thought of you when they posted that quote! Big weekend plans: spring house cleaning, a haircut (possible color??!!) and some long training rides 🙂 LOVE Legoland- the sweet photo goodness made my morning!!

Holly says:

I second the My New Roots recipe (http://mynewroots.org/site/2013/02/the-life-changing-loaf-of-bread/)! Give it a try 🙂

I really wanna buy some psyllium husk; i can never find any anywhere though and its usually quite expensive to buy online.
    You can use it in protein pancakes and stuff to make the mix a bit thicker..pretty much just use it in anything you want to thicken up a bit 🙂

I hope you have a good time at legoland today and that your appointment goes well! I made roasted carrots last night, after making a huge batch and eating them all the day before. Thank you for all your roast carrot and squash inspiration 🙂

Beth says:

This is the bread recipe: http://mynewroots.org/site/2013/02/the-life-changing-loaf-of-bread/
    It IS life changing. It’s the best. Note: I add some chopped up figs and a little applesauce to give it a little sweetness. The best!!

I haven’t tried baking with psyllium yet, but I LOVE these grain-free crackers, and they have psyllium in them! http://skinnycrisps.com/ Seriously good, especially with hummus or babaganoosh! 🙂

Marie says:

The New Roots bread recipe is AWESOME. Made it this week and it is gone…making more this wknd!! Give it a try (and let us know!)

GGgggrrrrr injuries! They are for the birds! I hope you feel better soon friend. Enjoy Legoland with your men! I’m hanging with mine at home for Spring Break.

Katy says:

Psyllium husk = metamucil. I just checked out the metamucil website and they have tons of recipes, from soup to burgers to fudge brownies….AND they include calorie content/nutritional breakdown. The stats are pretty good, and I’m sure you could make substitutes and make these recipes even more healthy. I can’t wait to try this!

I’m really loving the theme/design of your web site. Do you ever run into any browser compatibility issues? A small number of my blog audience have complained about my site not working correctly in Explorer but looks great in Safari. Do you have any suggestions to help fix this issue?

1. […] since I had that impulse buy and bought psyllium husk at Trader Joe’s some of you told me I had to make The Life Changing Loaf […]