Not Quite Ready, a Little Subway Disappointment and the Five Second Rule

Friday Workout:

Elliptical 60 minutes- random setting (I can’t remember what level)

Stair mill- 20 minutes

Saturday Workout:

Taught boot camp

Took a spin class (first time taking one instead of teaching one in about a year)

elliptical 30 minutes

Those 60 minutes on the elliptical Friday evening were particularly long, as we had spent the day at LEGOLAND. I also headed to the gym directly after my follow up with my doctor to go over the MRI. I was not in the best of spirits, but someone had conveniently left an US Weekly laying around so I finally got to read up on some celebrity gossip.That was a treat.

I didn’t even take any pictures  of my workouts except for this one last night when I got my sweaty butt back in the car.

Lovely.

I have some doctor news and some results, but I’m just not ready to put it all out there. I have to wrap my head around it a bit first. And the few times I’ve tried to talk about it a bit I just end up in tears, so I need a little more time before I write about it. Quite possibly a glass or two of wine also.

Let me say though, that things could be a lot worse. There are so many other people out there that can’t walk or are really down for the count. I don’t want to be selfish and focus my issues, that in the  whole big scheme of things aren’t THAT big of a deal.

My injury will take awhile to heal. It’s not an easy fix. It also may be a bit more complicated than originally thought. But, it’s not a stress fracture and it’s nothing that needs surgery. It might be a long road back to feeling fine and dandy again, but I can walk and still cross train.

Needless to say I’m not going to the San Luis Obispo Marathon this weekend. I’m doing taxes instead. Which, actually, I really need to be doing right this moment, so I better make this quick.

So, yesterday we had an amazing family day at LEGOLAND.

(Instagram pic)

We actually have park hopper passes so we have 9 days to go back again. What a deal, huh?

Oh and heck yeah that’s a venti Starbucks americano in my hand. That was a must.

Oh and check out how crazy my cinnamon sugar breakfast STUFTwich got yesterday.

photo

I kind of want to frame that picture. He he.

I’ll recap our day later along with all the fun LEGOLAND hotel festivities, but I have to tell you we made a stop at Subway to refuel afterwards. It sounded so darn good and I’ve loved their chopped salads in the past.

Doesn’t the picture look good?

Well, I ordered exactly what was on that picture. The chopped chicken salad.

They did not chop. They did not mix. It was a teeny tiny salad.

See.

I was a bit disappointed. What the heck?

I had to do some doctoring up on my own.

That seemed to do the trick.

Last night I tried to cheer up a bit with some creamy dreamy ice cream, low calorie peanut butter frosting and some frozen frosting.

There was a KIND peanut butter bar hiding under there too (you know, I have a thing for “layers”).

We even watched an episode of Modern Family. I mean, that show can make anyone in a better mood right?

Oh Phil.

It kind of worked.

This morning I was hoping my strong sugar free hazelnut mocha would work wonders on my puffy eyes this morning.

It did not, but this guy sure cheered me up with his photography skills.

Ha ha. That was me trying to write this post earlier this morning before boot camp. I’ve never been able to do that, but it never stops me from trying.

Um, and yeah, just a little bit later on the way to my car to go to boot camp this happened.

Then this happened.

Yeah, that’s right. I totally put that sucker back together and ate it.

Too much?

Okay, off to tackle taxes. Eeeeekkkk…….

Are you a fan of Subway salads?

What are thoughts on the 5 second rule?

Have you done your taxes yet?

Comments

LOL! Sorry I really did laugh when I saw your sandwich on the ground…but then laughed even more when I saw it in your mouth…I would have totally done the same!! 😉

I am curious to hear about the results….glad its not the worst and sad its not a super quick fix for you.

But……….b/c I am the queen of BUTs………………….Isn’t it weird how life works????? For months off and on now you had been talking about needing more mom time. Feeling guilty for running and being gone with the marathons. Then, you were torn between the running/races and family but you tried to make the best time for both and a little more time for the “men”. Maybe in your heart of hearts (although crazy to think) you really needed a break from running but didn’t want to be the one to slow down so God gave you a way to stop, slow down, and have time with your boys.

Enjoy this time….this too shall pass…you will be running again soon…it is not the end just another road bump in life. 😉

Louise says:

You’re hilarious!
    I recently also had an MRI scan, aren’t those machines the worst?!? The woman said ‘I’ll put these earphones on you so you can listen to some nice music while you have your 45 minute scan” – but all I get is the faint whining of Michael Bolton teamed with a loud jackhammer sound in my ear for that long! Horrible and traumatic to say the least. Again, I feel your pain. We keep going when most others would stop = injury. I am sending healing thoughts your way. I love your salad up-do, I’d totally do the same. Keep that beautiful smile on your face and thank you for your posts! 🙂

So sorry to hear about your test. Sending healing vibes your way xo

5 second rule? Can we push it to….hmmm..8? I think that’s fair.

Subway salads…I don’t understand why they don’t toss it? They are not building a sandwich…it’s a salad. Who doesn’t toss a salad? Well, I guess in this case Subway doesn’t.

Modern Family…LOVE!

Amy says:

I freaking love that you picked that sandwich up. It just makes you all the more likeable. I don’t know what your health news is but I do know that you are incredibly strong and have a positive attitude and with those two things you can get past anything. Maybe this setback will open a different door to a place you wouldn’t have gone without this rest break. Your men will get you through it & you’ll come out an even better version of yourself!

I’m so sorry that you’re injured… sending you love and healing thoughts, may you heal warp speed.

I’m sorry you are going through such a tough time. I know it can’t be easy.

I’ve never had a salad from Subway. I always get their veggie sub.

melissa k says:

I had to laugh at the fact that you totally picked up that sandwich and ate it!!! As far a Subway salads, i was never a fan of them. Too small and not filling.

Yaara Leve says:

Kristin
    I’m so sorry about your injury!! I also was injured pretty bad. Around November I got a stress fracture on my ankle and several torn ligaments from doing too much HIIT workouts and just pushing my body too hard. Just remember the body does heal. Give it time. Swimming I have found to be a great workout while injured. Maybe you could give that a try. Just remember you’re not alone. It seems like many people I know are getting injured. It just shows we really have to listen to our bodies and be good to them. We are only given one–lol. Sending you to positive vibes 🙂

Feel better!! Your optimism is infectious, and I hope you know you’ve got a lot of people pulling for you!! HUGS!!!

Bethp262 says:

So sorry about your injury! Hope you have a speedy recovery. 🙂

Nice picture in the car! You look good in blue 🙂

Um. What’s up with your salad. Usually when I get one there is too much lettuce/spinach to toppings. That salad is just plain sad.

I am a huge supporter of the five second rule. Even ten is okay by me if the floor looks clean. However, if I drop my food on something noticeably hazard-worthy, I won’t eat it.

Jennifer mykytiuk says:

Injuries are so hard to deal with! Hang in there! I love that you picked up that sandwich and ate it! Haha! Dropping it is totally something I would do! I am not a fan of subway salads because they never end up as good as the picture! Can’t wait to hear about the LegoLand hotel! And I am curious about your injury. I may need to get realistic about my up coming runs after physical therapy yesterday.

So sorry to hear the results were not what you were hoping for. That sandwich pic and then the next one are hilarious….if I was in enough of a hurry, I so would have done the same thing!

hillary young says:

Getting hurt is the worst ever. There’s no way to sugar coat it.

I am also an abuser of the “10 second rule” and have been caught eating things that hit the ground. Sometimes life is too short to make your sandwich all over again!

I’m coming off a stress fracture so I know the sadness of injuries. Of course I’m not a speedster like you with Boston on my mind, but I still understand the pain. I missed a few scheduled races but I’m back and you will be too 🙂

lindsay says:

5 second rule totally goes in our house! and eek, sorry about the injury. Maybe God really wants you to fully trust and rest in HIM! I know, it’s hard. But you can! His STRENGTH!

Kristin says:

🙁

(And when you have children, that’s when the 5 second rule is first implemented. There is no time to make another sandwich.)

HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE hug to you girl! We’re here to support ya!

Holly says:

Sorry to hear your MRI news isn’t as good as you’d hoped. Of course, as you said, some people have it so much worse. However…what I always say, is that this is YOUR reality. So, give yourself time to be sad and ticked. Your attitude is great and you have a lot of moral support right here on the blog!

I’m so sorry to hear about your injury.

Your sandwich incident was hilarious. I don’t have kiddos yet, so I probably would have thrown it away and started from scratch…but I’m sure once I have kids, I’ll be embracing the five second rule!

Apryle says:

Sorry you are having to deal with an injury right now. There is a little saying I found one day on the paper tab of a tea bag. “Faith is daring the soul to go beyond what the eyes can see.” I taped it to my refrigerator years ago and it is still there. Things have a way of working themselves out, they just do. Your positive attitude is going to allow you to see new opportunities because of this. Praying for you.
    One a side note, I totally think the “5 second” rule depends on your location. For example: I would totally have eaten that sandwich if it was dropped in my driveway. The parking lot of Walmart, ummmm, not so much.

Elizabeth says:

So sorry bout your injuries!!! The five second rule…..hmm more like 30 seconds in this house of many!!! E

Oh, friend… I’m so sorry that the news was not what you wanted to hear… I’ve been there, and it is the WORST! You’re right that you are lucky you can still cross train and stay active in other ways. But you are also totally allowed to cry and be mad and upset. The acceptance part will come eventually, but you don’t have to be there yet. And I hope the healing process is MUCH faster than expected!

No matter what’s going on with anyone else, you still have the right to feel sad about what’s happening to you. Injuries just stink! But you will, no doubt, come back even stronger. Sending healing wishes your way 🙂

meredith says:

Hoping you heal as fast as possible. Having said that, I am like you and try not to be selfish, try to look on the bright side always BUT sometimes it is OK to be a bit selfish. I recently decided that for myself so please join me and act selfish for a minute, you may feel a little bit better lol. I am not a fan of Subway, my son loves it. My problem with salads from Subway or anywhere really that isn’t The Cheesecake Factory, is that they aren’t big enough for my running appetite. I took the little boy and his friend for dinner last night before hockey game and as good as my salad was, I was thinking this is not big enough or nearly as good as I can make it at home! Oh the problems with being my own personal great chef…

Susan says:

Hang in there! Injuries are the worst-I think we have all been there/done that. I remember feeling borderline depressed when I was injured. It is tough, but try to keep the positive outlook-it will get you through. I have to agree with one of the previous responses in that maybe this is God giving you the opportunity to slow down and focus on the men in the house, etc. it is hard for us to do that ourselves.
    As ar as the 5 second rule-YES!! Could be even more in my house! Rock on!

Samantha says:

Yes, I eat things I have dropped all the time! I don’t even want to know how expensive that pathetic salad was. You wanted a meal, not a side. 🙂

You have every right to be emotional and upset. Yes, it is great you can walk, it is great it won’t require surgery and it is great it can be worse. And yes, you will get better and come back strong, but I can only imagine your disappointment right now as well. Take care!

Glad you were still able to eat your sandwich!! Sorry about the injury and disappointment!! Totally sucks but glad you will be OK!!!

Hannah Park says:

Much thoughts and prayers to you for a speedy recovery. You’re a total inspiration to me, not only for your amazing physical abilities, supermom-ness, ability to make healthy foods decadent, but for your ability to look through an extremely difficult time in your life/injury with grace (and humor-love the sandwich!). Thank you for sharing!

Sorry about the injury but your mindset on it is good & life is about learning… HUGS!

You’ll be back! No worries. Just keep looking to the future and stay positive. I know, I’m not the one dealing w/it.. but it’s totally in you! You are Awesome! I gotta try that stuftwich! I love that you put pepper flakes on everything too. I’m not a hot and spicy kind of girl myself. 5 second rule- ABSOLUTELY! on the road?? eh not so sure.. LOL xoxo

Keep on trucking mama! 😉

Amy C. says:

I hope you have a speedy recovery. Hopefully it’s nothing TOO serious!

I am not much of a fan of Subway’s salads either. I would rather make my own salad and have fresh chicken on there than one of their salads. But in a bind, one would suffice.

I laughed so hard when I saw that you ate your sandwich after it fell on the ground. I am all about the 5 second rule……not too worried about some germs! Haha! Dirt don’t hurt! 😉

Oh!!! And I have a mini bottle of my friend’s hot sauce for you!!!! I would love to send it to you (or even possibly bring it down sometime) for you to try!!!! He is starting up a website and wants to start selling them!!! Let me know if you’re interested in yet another hot sauce to add to your collection!!! 😀

Enjoy your day and sending you lots of love and hugs for your recovery! <3

Christina says:

Don’t worry, you’ll get back out there! Hoping for a speedy recovery.
    I have only had a subway salad once and it wasn’t to bad.
    Looks like you made it rock though!!!

I’m so sorry, Kristen. I wish there was a way to hug you right now. I don’t know what the prognosis is or what it will mean for you and racing in the near term…but I’m hoping it’s not as bad as it seems.
    Don’t be too down on yourself for being down. Yes, the big picture is like you said – there are people who can’t walk or do other things…but getting some unhappy news from the dr is never a good thing and you are entitled to moap and feel sorry for yourself. I’m always here if you need/want to chat/vent/cry/etc. xo

Stefanie says:

For what’s it worth, I really don’t like the subway chopped salad. Then again, I’m a vegetarian and don’t really think there’s much options for me to put in the salad (I don’t like the onions and pepper). I tried to ask them to put in eggplant because technically that’s a veggie but it didn’t work, haha. I always follow the 5 sec or 10 sec. rule haha. If the floor is decently clean, but it it’s outside on the ground…then I’d toss it. I was so mad when I spilled a whole smoothie and I had to make it again! By the way I absolutely LOVE your Pb2 frosting. I made it the other night and put it on a deep chocolate vita top and was in heaven! I then made it again the following morning and put it on an english muffin with banana. I’ll definitely try this on ice cream and freeze it, I never would have thought to do that!

Debbie E. says:

Totally endorse the 5 second rule (and I’m a germ hater as a surgical nurse and former hospital nutritionist!) I was told that as a child, I ate sand out of the sandbox too, so I’m not too worried. Praying for you!

Oh I abide by the 5 second rule – I abide by the 5 second rule so much that it’s actually the 10 second rule over here 😉

Janet says:

Praying for you, STUFT Mama! Praying for healing and that you would be gentle with yourself! ((hugs))

Lauren says:

After having four surgeries in the past two years for my right knee and going from running half marathons to barely being able to walk around my kitchen, I will say to take it easy and listen to your Doctor 100%. I’ve been through a lot with my knees and it’s a devastating time for me, especially since I’m only 23, but if you do not need surgery and it’s not a stress fracture… Healing almost relies on you and if you do everything you can, you’ll be back to it in no time. It’s only this time you have away from running. You have to look at the broad spectrum. You’re luckier than you think.

Coco says:

Boo! Sending you hugs and healing vibes- get better soon.. keep your head up! P.S. I would have totally eaten it too 🙂

Linda says:

I’m so sorry to hear that your injury has you sidelined from your racing. At least you are able to still teach and cross train!! What do you think of the step mill?? With my stair climb coming up in less than 2 weeks now I have been working out on the step mill as well. At first I was nervous as I don’t like things that are moving and high off the ground! I’m getting used to it and what a great calorie burn! Stay positive girl!!! You got lots of races out there!

Jealous about Legoland!

Sorry about the bad news, I hope that it all works out. I think its good you are giving yourself time to wrap your head around everything going on, after all you are the one going through it ( as much as everyone loves reading the blog, you have to make sure you’re doing things on your own terms!)

I would have definitely ate that sandwich too! Haha Im all for the 5 second rule!

s says:

that’s hilarious about the sandwich … i probably would have done that too.

1. […] also stopped at Subway on the way even though my last experience there was not a good […]