I Ran For Boston

Actually, I didn’t run. After breakfast I got ready to run with all my favorite running gear in Boston Marathon colors.

I tried, but I couldn’t. My darn leg, my leg that has kept me from running and kept me safe at home, didn’t let me run today either.

(instagram picture)

And while I’m so frustrated with this injury and I think I have a really long journey ahead getting back to running, today I was thankful that I couldn’t run. Thankful for the pain and for the time I’ve been given to focus on priorities and take care of myself and my family.

I did my dedication miles on the stair mill while watching the news.

I did the elliptical for a bit after that also.

Joaquin asked me this morning if people got hurt at a race. Not sure where he heard it or anything. It caught me off guard, but I told him yes and that we were going to go for a walk for them today.

So weird thinking how to explain something like this to a child. I hope he doesn’t ask again. I’m not prepared.

I want to do more to help though. If you know of anything or ways that we can, please feel free to share in the comments.

I found this website that lists some ways we can help and thought I would pass it along.

Boston Marathon Explosions: How You Can Help

Did you run or walk for Boston today?

Comments

christy says:

I ran my normal 3.1 and added 2 miles for the two that died then I got home and saw on the news it was three :(
    I too wore yellow and blue

so sad

Patti Smith says:

I ran/walked 4.09 miles late this afternoon for Boston. I’m a 3 month old runner with only one 5K under my belt so I don’t have running gear in too many colors yet…but give me time :) Blue and yellow will be my next pick!

I ran this morning. I needed to do that and mourn. As frustrating as your injury is, I am so glad that you were not in Boston. xox

I did my normal run this morning but thought about all those in Boston– Boston is on my bucket list– more now then ever– It still makes me so sad–

It’s hard with kids, especially when kids die. I remember when my kindergardener asked about the shooting in CT. Ugh that was hard. I am thankful for my faith and tell me son the PG version of the truth and that we can pray about it and ask God to keep us safe always.

Kristin U says:

So glad you are safe! If you want to learn to walk fast, I’d be happy to give you a lesson. You’re not in my age group, so I don’t have to worry about you getting too speedy:). It’s a great workout (extra 25 cals a mile) and works the opposite muscles of running.

Those conversations with kids are always hard – my boys talked about it at school before I even made it back home to see them and talk to them. I just don’t want them to live in fear!!

I hiked for Boston today. Thankfully, my kids haven’t asked a whole lot about it… but if/when they do, I think I’ll just be honest and tell them that some cowardly, bad people tried to hurt good, loving, courageous ones, and even though they did manage to hurt some, they did not, and will never win. And that the heroes just shined even brighter.

Becky says:

I ran five miles today and during my run I prayed for the people who were affected by Boston. I have loved to see the running community come together during this time.

Kori says:

While my 4yr old was saying her prayers she added “Dear God & Jesus please make all the ouchies better on the people who got hurt”! Sometimes, it’s the littlest ones that say it best! I just told her that some people got hurt, didn’t go any further….hopefully that will be enough for her!

Trina Stojak says:

A friend and I were talking about what to say to kids. I talked to my husband about it too. My husband is in the military, so we can use that as an example. We thought it is best to focus on the good people. All those people that are helping.

meredith says:

I did an elliptical workout in my race shirt in honor of Boston – not up to running after the half marathon I ran on Sunday with my injured shouler/arm. But I am getting there. I also baked blue and yellow m&m cookies for my son’s little league team. I felt so helpless that I turned to baking…it is so hard to talk and explain to our kids. My son is now old enough to watch the news and does so on a regular basis. I feel like this year I have had a lot of explaining to do especially after the Sandy Hook tragedy and now this. I was so afraid to tell him about Boston because not only is it more terrorism, but it is running related and I didn’t want to scare him about me running races. So hard to explain and talk calmly when I can’t really explain it, or be all that calm. But you do it for the kids. If they see us ok, they are ok.

ani says:

I ran today. and when I felt like stopping i thought of Boston. It makes sad but then i’m lifted with seeing all the moving stories of selfless acts. i’m glad you and the family are okay.

MamaNic says:

It is hard to explain things like that to children. It has been said over and over, but to reiterate, remind your kids that even when bad things happen, look for the helpers (you know, find the silver lining in every cloud). When my kids asked about the Sandy Hook incident, i reminded them of the good things that people do in situations like that. It’s really the only way I know of to keep their positivity up. I don’t want their love of humanity shattered JUST yet!

Linda says:

On Boston.com there is a blog by a pediatrician and she addresses and gives other links to talking to your kids about this. It is MD MAMA.

Aime Snazel says:

I ran today-just 4km, but honestly, it felt different than other runs I’ve done. While I was running-over a bridge-I looked down and there was another runner on the path below the bridge. We waved at each other, and I just had the most overwhelming feeling that we were both out there for the same reason. We were both out there to run for everyone in Boston, and also send a message that fear will not rule us-we will choose instead to fight fear with love, for each other, for our sport, for what we believe in. I have a race this weekend, and I’m going to run it for Boston. My kids don’t know what happened, and I don’t think they are ready to know, they’re only 3 & 4. But I’m not sure what I’d tell them either. It is so difficult to explain senseless violence to children who have only known peace and harmony in their lives. As their Mom, I choose to shelter them from what I can until they are hold enough to handle all this. As an adult, who wasn’t even there, I have struggled to deal with the emotional turmoil this event has brought on. I think you will know what to say to your boys, if they ask, when the time comes. For now, prayer and holding close those we love is the best response I’ve got.

Natalie says:

Yesterday I ran and pushed my kids for 3 miles.

Chels R. says:

I am teaching my spin classes today wearing my ‘peace love run’ headband. Keep being diligent with that recovery…it’s going to pay off I promise you!

marti says:

i ran an 8 miler before my 12 hour night shift last night all for boston..then wore my purple fargo marathon long sleeve under my scrubs… still can’t believe all that has happened. really makes you stop and think and be grateful for all you have.

Mackenzie says:

I was super bummed to hear that you weren’t going to be able to run Boston but for God’s reasons he kept you home safe with your family. I love hearing all of your running stories and live the long distances that I may never reach through you and other bloggers! Hearing about what happened was such a tragedy and still brings tears to my eyes even when thinking about it. I ran 2.62 miles yesterday in memory of all those affected. I will continually think about them all throughout all runs and be thankful that I have the ability to run any miles.

Stacey says:

I am finally catching up on blogs! It is very hard to explain the Boston bombing to children.. My 8 and 5 yr olds where there and right across the street from the bombings (our hotel was The Lenox on Boylston) . I keep reminding them of the wonderful things we did and how amazing the good people of Boston are.

Love your Mizuno sneaks!!