Why Yes, You Can Roast Jicama

Did a little evening workout tonight in the yard. It was less than 6 minutes, but a fun one.

We were making a little video for you. Yes, the boys and I.

I still can’t run (I’ll have an injury update soon), but I can do some home workouts for you.

Isn’t that nice?

Plus I had some new Reebok clothes (from the Reebok ONE apparel line) to try on,

some new shades to test out

and some rambunctious toddlers that really wanted to “do a workout”.

So we did. New gear and all.

I bet you can’t wait. Ha.

Oh, and thanks for your feedback about the spin thing. I’ll make sure to share my next spin class and songs. Yay! Maybe that will help me plan a bit better too. Win win.

After I wrote my last post, I ventured down and found my plants.

They’d been moved to inside the aviary.

Yes, we have aviaries at our house. Jessica and Kori- similar to a zoo. Ha.

Anyhoo, my plants looked safe and sound.

Right next to our gouldian finches.

Couldn’t get a good picture. They didn’t like my camera (or maybe they just didn’t like me).

Some random eats as of late:

After finishing off some serious boxes of cereal like nobody’s business last week, I’ve been trying to be a little more sensible with my eating.

Yesterday I had a spinach salad with chicken and some Yum Hum dressing.

Today I had the easiest lettuce turkey wrap ever.

Just three ingredients.

Roasted turkey breast, Trader Joe’s Hot and Sweet Mustard and Romaine lettuce leaves.

The perfect snack while I waited for my sweet kabocha squash to roast.

Oh and I said I was going to fill that baby up, and fill it I did.

It’s just not fair to show you that picture, but man oh man I can’t wait to share that magnificent creation.

I’ve got another kabocha squash post in the works. Those never get old, do they?

Tonight I pretty much roasted up every vegetable I could find in the house. I made roasted carrots and roasted sweet potatoes for the boys.

They weren’t fans of the burnt ones. Go figure.

For myself I made roasted beets, roasted kale salad, roasted carrots

and because my acupuncture lady told me to start eating jicama, I roasted that too.

May I just say it was darn tasty. I’m seriously convinced you can roast just about anything and with the right seasoning it will be delicious.

Who knew, right?

Isn’t it cute?

Besides being cute, I really liked the taste. It was a bit sweet, but had a good little crunch to it. I think it will go nicely with a variety of different things.

Which is good because I’ll be eating it every day until my hamstrings and hip heal. I’m thinking of trying to do it up sweet roasted carrots or sweet roasted kabocha squash style.

Hmmm…..

My dinner actually went down like this complete with salad and California Hot Sauce, Cholula, Scotty B’s arch nemesis, chicken and nutritional yeast.

You’ve missed those dinner pictures, yes?

Kidding, kidding.

My dessert tonight was pretty epic (as usual), but I’m too lazy to explain it all so I’ll show you last night’s instead.

A Flatout Cinnamon crisp bowl filled with some frozen frosting on the bottom, some cake batter ice cream and a microwaved chocolate chip cookie dough Quest Bar.

I don’t mess around.

I ate it while working in the office and holding a heating pad on my crotch (in case you care).

Tonight while the boys were eating their dessert (these chocolate veggie muffins from Costco that they love), Judah asked me if I was going to have dessert.

Silly. Silly.

I replied “Of course. I love dessert.”

Joaquin said, “You love a lot of things mama. You love carrots and squash and sweet potatoes too.”

And that I do.

Then I said, “I also love you.”

He liked that one a lot.

Note: Obviously my thoughts and prayers are still with all those affected by the Boston tragedy Monday, but I thought I’d try to switch gears for a bit.

Which reminds me, the comments were awesome about how to talk to your kids about it all a couple of posts back.

I actually got this email in my inbox the other day with some great tips about how to address news issues with your children and thought I should pass it along.

Night friends.

Do you eat jicama?

Have you ever tried roasting it?

Comments

Those Reebok pants look really cute and nice shades too!

Kori says:

One of your birds is named Kori? First time I’ve ever seen it spelled the way I do! BTW My real name is Korene, just in case you want to name anything….maybe a squash or something! LOL

Ha. NO, I was directing that comment to you. :) Maybe our next bird should have your name though.

• Kori says:

HaHaHaHa!
        I’m REALLY feeling stupid! When I read your reply I thought you were joking, then I re-read the post…..!!! I totally thought two of your birds were named Jessica & Kori! OMG how funny!

Bethp262 says:

I love jicama but I’ve only ever eaten it raw. Will have to try roasting it!

Catherine says:

Thanks for roasting jicama tip! I usually eat it raw with salsa. Happy healing!!

meredith says:

I totally need to start roasting jicama – I could use new vegetables in my rotation. Confession – I end up eating half of what I am roasting while it is roasting. lol. I can’t help myself from sampling.

Ammie says:

I saw some orange kabochas at the farmers market a few weeks back & have been dreaming/wondering about them ever since. Have you tried the orange ones? I’ve only eaten the green ones. Your roasted veggie pics are making me hungry!!

morgan says:

I created this great summer BBQ salad last year with cubed jicama, red & green apples & a couple cubed oranges, for topping- I blend a cup of raspberrries & a couple orange slices for “dressing”. its a huge bowl of chopped fruity goodness. don’t know why jicama tastes so good with fruit but I love it!
    above post- I too saw orange Kabocha for the first time last week! I bought a couple & they seem to taste the same pretty much, maybe these are just a little less sweet & more pumpkin-??!! still an awesome find & I am stoked to have them in the fridge :)

Oh my goodness, that sounds delightful Morgan. And… I have to keep an eye out for some orange kabocha. :)

• morgan says:

it was a “oh poop a BBQ? today? an hour? what am I taking & I’m not going to the store whats in the fridge salad”, but it turned out great! those usually are the best but then everyone wants the recipe. fridge clean out just doesn’t sound great ;-)

I tried a recipe for a ‘jicama slaw’ one time, it was fabulous….I should find that recipe and make it again now that I think about it!

I love jicama, but always eat it raw. I can’t wait to try roasting it now!! Because what ISN’T good roasted? Thanks for the tip! :)

Leo says:

These sunglasses are great and look perfect on you!

I’ve never tried Jicama – had no clue what to do with it!!
    Love the new Reebok clothes!!

Jicama is awesome! I like your new glasses, too.

I have been enjoying jicama for a few years now, but always fresh and tossed with a little lime juice.

I just tried roasting it with cinnamon sprinkled on top and it is awesome! So glad you posted about this as now I have a new way to enjoy this tuber! Thanks for the good tip!

Also, I saw you have tortoises in your yard; what kind are they? Have you had them since babies? I’ve had several box turtles, but one I had to give to a friend when I moved states, and the other escaped our outdoor pen. Those guys are surprisingly great climbers! Anyway, I want a bigger turtle to let roam our backyard and love the two you have!

1. [...] We love roasting veggies, but never thought to roast this one before! —Stuft Mama [...]

2. [...] did the whole roasted jicama thing again last [...]