Relay Prep- What to Do and Proper Nutrition

Hello friends. I think it’s Monday morning, right? I’m a little disoriented after being up for over 41 hours, a late flight home and then an early morning toddler wake up call. It was the best wake up call ever though after not seeing the kiddos for a couple days.

Before I forget, the winner of the Reebok Hot Short giveaway is

#67 Natalie.

Email me your mailing information and size and I’ll get you those cool Reebok PWR Hot Shorts.

I was in Northern California this past weekend with Runner’s World and belVita for the Golden Gate Relay.

Somehow I got lucky enough to score a spot on their relay team. Nothing like doing your first relay ever with a group of important people you’ve never met before. I tried not to fly my freak flag too high, but when you’re in a van for 40 hours with your team, there just really isn’t a choice. Yeah, I felt sorry for them too. Ha.

Poor van 2 runners.

The entire weekend was amazing. My whole injury situation got in the way a bit, but I managed to make it through with a bit of crotch icing.

Lovely, yes?

I’ll recap the whole relay and tell you about the amazing new friends I met, but since today I’m playing catch up at home and need to make sure I get some serious “mama time”, I’ll just share what to do pre relay and some nutrition advice from the experts.

Obviously, eating is always a big part of traveling.

Our first group stop was at a cute little deli in Yountville.

Here’s the crew.

Steve, Jill, Scott, Mindee, Lauren, Jill, Mindy, Meghan, Me, Seth and Stephen

(instagram pic)

It was here that I learned Jeff’s (the RW Gear Guy) little secret fuel for speed.

Yeah, that is in fact a donut in his hand. I may have to try that one of these days since this guy is FAST. He is also the same expert who gave the advice to “run naked” in Big Sur.

The rest of us went with some sandwiches. I started my high maintenance ordering of course.

After we got to Calistoga,

checked into the hotel,

did a little grocery shopping at the cutest little market ever,

complete with fresh cheeses

and the best breakfast biscuits around of course,

my new belVita friend Scott, and I decided to go for a little shake out run to check out the scenery.

That’s what you do when you’re somewhere new, right?

It was beautiful.

IMG_2255IMG_2256IMG_2260

I did a total of about 5 slow miles and was very tempted to check out some of the wineries,

but tried to stick to business.

Later, the group had an amazing pre race dinner at Brennan’s.

Here are just a couple of the things we made sure to properly fuel with.

IMG_2274IMG_2278IMG_2285IMG_2287IMG_2289IMG_2290

Wanted to make sure we were all in tip top shape to start the race. He he.

Oh, so much more to share about the whole race, but I just can’t think straight at the moment. Eeeek.

Full relay race recap will be up soon, but for now I have some sweet roasted kabocha squash in the oven that is calling my name.

Not to mention some cute little men that need a little attention.

What did you do this weekend?

Have you ever been to wine country?

Comments

Looks like a fun relay weekend, can’t wait to read more about it! When I did my first relay a few weeks ago, I felt bad for my team too, I’m sure they learned way more about me than they needed to!!! :)

meredith says:

Looks like it was a fun weekend! Glad you are back to roasting your squash, perhaps I will go get myself some butternut. Haven’t had in a while now lol…I ran the Long Island Half yesterday and can’t wait to sign up for another…too bad there aren’t many races other than 5k distance here in NY until the Fall. So annoying!

How was the race?

• meredith says:

It was great, thank you! I PRed this race which made it even better…I was hoping to run already this morning but my hamstrings wanted no part in it. So frustrating when the mind feels like running and the body doesn’t agree – I know right now you can totally relate to this. Hoping you are feeling better.

Can’t wait to read your full recap! Pretty fun, right?! What time did you guys finish? Did you get totally thrashed by the wind in SC? My team didn’t fiish until 5:30 and the wind was INSANE!
    That’s great you got to eat at Branna’s… seriously one of the best places to eat ever!

Tess says:

Looking forward to the relay recap!!! It sounds like fun…..and I’m sure your boys have lots of fun planned for you as well ;)

I’ve been wanting to do a relay in wine country! I’m actually going back to Napa for my birthday this summer – it’s onew of my favorite US vacation spots! Have you ever eaten a Redd’s? It’s soooo good!

Sounds like fun! I’d love to a relay race someday. I’m sure your boys are so happy you’re home again!

What a beautiful location for your first relay race!! I would love to do this sometime. When I have my running mojo back of course! :) And I LOVE wine country!

Can’t wait for the recap!! Sounds like the pre-race part was great!!
    Love Wine Country – need to get back since it has been years!

I was so excited for you! It seemed like you were on quite the adventure. Kind of crazy how you get to know people when you’re put in close quarters like that. I mean you can’t hide crotch icing. ;)

I’m glad you’re enjoying the day my friend! Seriously, those boys seem like the perfect focus for today! Big hugs and congratulations on the run! xoxo

Erica says:

What an amazinggggggggg experience! That artichoke from dinner looks incredible. Your kids are SO cute!

Janelle says:

That picture of your boys is adorable. Relays are so much fun! I just did Ragnar SoCal….as an ultra. I thought I was going to die. Lol. But, now I’m ready to do another one. There’s just nothing like hanging out with a bunch of people after being awake for 30+ hours. You get to know each other pretty well. Haha. Glad you had fun! I can’t wait to hear more about it!

Donna Smith says:

Looks like an awesome weekend. I’m sure your little guys were so happy to have you home:). Would love to do a relay some day. Can’t wait for recap.

aimee says:

ok gimme tips on the foam….i dont get that much!

1. [...] already shared how we fueled up for the big race, so we’ll go right into official relay race business, yes? The Golden Gate Relay [...]