Rowing, Open Gym and the Pastabilities

Workout:

Snuck in a few minutes on the home elliptical early in the morning yesterday.

Taught my usual classes at the Y last night. I made sure not to leave any muscle group untouched in my strength training class.

I always start the class with big moves for the lower body. Last night it was squat, reverse lunge, squat, revers lunge (on opposite side). We went through that about a billion times with different tempos and pulses, etc.

I also tried this shoulder move I found in Self Magazine out on my class last night and it was a goodie.

I don’t know what possessed me to get on the rowing machine last night at the gym, but I did. Maybe because my friend Janae rocked the rowing machine while she was injured.

Couldn’t remember the last time I was on one. I’m pretty sure it was college. I stayed on there just long enough to break a little sweat, realize it didn’t feel that great on my lower back and figure out that you could indeed adjust the foot things so your feet stay in place..

That was 20 minutes.

I’m not really thinking that I’ll be going on it again anytime soon, but you never know. This Men’s Health article says it’s one of the best total-body workout cardio machines. I think I need to do a bit more research on it first.

The YMCA gymnastic center in town has this cool thing once a week called “open gym” for preschool age kids. We’ve been wanting to try it out for awhile, but finally had the opportunity yesterday.

IMG_2718IMG_2716IMG_2717IMG_2714IMG_2720

Pretty darn cool. Best $10 entertainment we’ve had for awhile. We will definitely be going back.

Here’s a couple random pictures just because. My sweet roasted kabocha squash I ate cold and plain for a change yesterday. It was still marvelous all by it’s lonesome.

My afternoon drink was a mix of Good Earth Sweet and Spicy tea, apple cider vinegar and a CocoaVia summer citrus packet.

I always have to have a little something fun to drink in the afternoon with a little caffeine to get me through the rest of the day. Anyone else?

Okay, so I felt pressure to experiment with the Quest Nutrition Pastabilities noodles from my last post. Last night I went with the spinach ones.

They remind me a lot of the tofu shirataki noodles, except they’re not made of tofu.

I prepared them just like the package said.

Drain.

Rinse.

Drain again. Dry. (A lot. I tried to get as much of the water off as possible.)

Microwave.

They definitely do have a weird smell when you open them. The package calls it an “ocean scent”. I’m not sure that’s how I would describe it, but it does go away after rinsing the noodles.

I tasted one noodle plain. Not recommended.

Then I piled the rest of the noodles on some seriously roasted broccoli slaw, brussel sprouts and chicken.

I topped it all with my favorite toppings

and created one heck of an Italian feast bowl.

I also had to add a little fresh basil from my plant.

Not too shabby.

They were definitely fun to play with and if you’re someone who loves pasta, but doesn’t want all the carbs I’d say to give them shot. Quest Nutrition knows what they’re doing. Make sure you follow the directions on the package though and don’t expect them to taste just like pasta. They are chewier and the texture is a bit different, but they are pretty good. They don’t have much of a taste so I’d imagine you could do a lot with them.

Oh my goodness, I almost forgot. My wonderful friends at SunButter have a little post of mine up on their page.

Check it out here and give SunButter a little loving. Ironic that I share marathon getting ready tips and I have a race I’m supposed to do in two weeks that I will not be getting ready for. Ha.

Okay, long day today. A gym meeting and some doctor visits. Good times.

Rowing machine- yay or nay?

Have you tried the Pastabilities or low carb noodles like that? What do you think?

Personally, if I really want pasta I want the real deal (same goes for pizza), but I like the idea of having low carb noodles on hand for times when you’re craving them and don’t really want all the carbs.

Comments

Karen says:

I have tried the tofu shirataki noodles. What ARE these noodles made out of, if not tofu?

Jenelle says:

My pastabilities just arrived the other day. Thank you for the review on them!…I won’t try a noodle plain :) Have a great day.

Amber says:

I’ve tried the tofu shirataki noodles and I always rinse, microwave, rinse, microwave, dry but then I always cook mine a little before mixing in with things. Either I put them in a pan with a little olive oil spray and garlic and then mix with spaghetti, etc OR I cook them down with some soy sauce and a splash of balsamic and then make stir fry. This completely changed my opinion of them…went from okay to pretty darn good! Maybe the same would work for these? LOVE LOVE LOVE your blog by the way…gets me through my workday! :)

Amber- you are way too nice. Thanks for the tip to make those noodles on the stove too. :) I bet that helps. I went through a lot of paper towels. LOL.

Lexa says:

I love the rowing machine in short intervals. It is a darn good work out! I have to have my feet just right or I feel “off”. I have tried the tofu noodles and Hungrygirl has some good recipes for them.

I think I’m like you – haven’t tried a rowing machine since college! I don’t know why – such a great total body workout but….
    The open gym looks like a blast for the boys and you!!

I’ve never tried rowing. We had one at the gym I used to belong to but I was always worried about getting on there and looking like a mess! I need to keep an eye out for that pasta. Looks tasty.

I rowed in college so I have a particular love/hate relationship for the rowing machine :) I HIGHLY recommend it because its definitely a full body workout, and low impact. But, I do think watching some technique videos would be helpful because low back injuries are VERY common. I’m very curious about those Quest noodles! I love the fact that they are green, but I have never really loved any of those zero-cal noodles before.

Mari says:

I rowed in college. Great workout. Better for intervals. Try doing 500 m sprints as fast as you can 5 times with 2 min rest in between. Thats a good one. I hate the rowing machine usually now only because we used it for conditioning. Nothing beats the boat which is a great workout and fun. Good form is the most important and I see ppl at the gym doing it wrong all the time. Even w/trainers since most ppl are not trained in rowing form to keep it safe. I did Xfit for awhile and would do short rows w them and it was fun only because they are short interval. It’s like swimming to me. I know it’s a good workout but I like to enjoy my workouts too and don’t enjoy either!

I love rowing even though I haven’t done it in a while. What are the noodles made of? I’m like you in the sense that if I’m going to eat pasta, I want the real thing!! I don’t eat it often so it works out :)

Erica says:

Those low carb noodles always scare me. An ocean scent? uhhhhh. ANy who- what a fun day you had! I need to get an elliptical or treadmill at home. Would be great for me while Kay naps! I’m signing Kay up for gymnastics starting in June. I can’t wait to have her in a gym! Have a great weekend

Thanks for the tips for the week before a race in the Sunbutter post! Perfect timing since I’m running a marathon in about a week!

ani says:

Honestly, why would anyone want to eat anything that had to be covered with all kinds of toppings, spices, sauces just so they feel like they are eating pasta? ick. not worth it to me. Know what i mean? It’s easier to make zuchinni noodles or something like that. I don’t get it….

meredith says:

I used to take my son to the open play time at Gymboree. It was included in our membership and sooooo worth every penny of the gym, music and art classes we took over those years! I was sometimes in Gymboree twice a day. Better to burn off his energy there than at home lol…I am not a huge pasta eater, in fact I don’t even know the last noodle I ate. I prefer potatoes and pizza and brown rice as my carb. I make spaghetti squash though on occasion…Hate the rowing machine, haven’t done it in years and will keep it that way!

the rowing machine is one cardio machine i hardly ever use; i actually quite like it once i get going on it though!
    that open gym looks like so much fun!! i used to love bouncing around on a trampoline/diving into the sponge pit when i was a kid!
    i don’t mind low carb noodles but i find that the sauce doesn’t stick too well to them; it doesn’t coat them in the same way that it does regular pasta plus the texture isn’t as nice but it does the job if i want something low carb :)

I am not a pasta fan so no worries about me trying those BUT I do like some of those Quest bars! :)

I always love the family pics! I know I said that before but they are contagious along with your smile!!!

I hate the rower – OK, I said it! I don’t do it! :)

Jessica Jones says:

Rowing machine YAY!! I love it!:)

All of those noodles have a nasty fishy smell. I can’t do them. Doesn’t matter how many times I rinse, I can smell it, and it makes me gag.
    I wish I could handle it, but I can’t. lol

Ha ha. yeah, I hear you on the smell. These ones weren’t as “smelly” as other ones I’ve used before though. :)

• I love Quest bars, so I’m sure I’ll try a pack eventually when making an order. I have low expectations for the smell, though. My senses of taste and smell are ridiculously sensitive, and seafood is something I hate – so any slight fishiness would kill it for me.
        Hopefully, I’m wrong!

Emily says:

So I should be getting one of each of the pastabilities’ flavors in the mail soon, and I’m nervous about how the noodles plain taste.
    I’m thoroughly planning on making a sauce for them, but if my curiosity get the better of me, what should I expect?
    I haven’t tried any Quest products yet, but I have some bars in the same order as the noodles. You make them sound SO delicious, that I had to try a bunch of them!!
    Anyways, if you could prepare me for how the noodles will taste, I’d really appreciate it. Thanks!

They don’t really have too much of a taste. They smell a little weird (like sea weed) when you open them, but once you rinse them and mix them with other stuff it goes away. A little chewy, but not much of a taste. :)

George says:

What a cute kid! That gym looks really fun for kids his age! The local Y around here has a great program for kids too.