Why Yes, I Am Still Injured- Hip Dysplasia is Fun

Not.

I’m not good at confrontation, dealing with issues or accepting life’s curve balls.

I am, however, good at blocking things out, laughing things off and trying to pretend everything is okay.

Isn’t that nice?

Monday’s Workout:

Taught a spin class and did a little weight circuit at home. (One minute on a strength move with 4 burpees in between each move for 16 different moves). It kicked my bootie in about 20 minutes.

Okay.

First of all, it’s totally okay to be jealous of my new little brace my PT made me last week.

IMG_2745_thumb[1]

At that same appointment he also told me that he didn’t think he could help me and that I needed to go back to my orthopedic surgeon and/or see a hip specialist.

My exercises didn’t seem to be doing the job of stabilizing my hip the way that he had hoped they would.

It was a great day.

He said he thinks that I have hip hypermobility syndrome that ties with hip dysplasia. He suggested that I may need a cortisone shot to help take down the inflammation.

So, let’s see, to sum things up a bit here we go:

I think my main pain these days is coming from hip dysplasia rather than the torn hamstrings as was the original concern with my injury.

I haven’t really run for over 2 months. I haven’t even jogged or jolked for 2 weeks.

I actually felt pretty good for the first time yesterday (meaning I didn’t wake up in pain or have as much pain throughout the day with just walking, cross training, teaching classes, etc.).

Things just may be looking up around here. I’m very tempted to try a little jog, but I’m forcing myself to take at least another week off. I’m trying to be smart and look at the big picture.

Sure, I’m supposed to race the Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Sunday and then race the San Francisco Marathon 2 weeks after that. Whelp, I’m not doing either. I’m starting to learn how to cancel reservations and just let race entries sit unclaimed like the best of them. Let me know if you ever need any help with that.

In all seriousness though, this is rough. It shouldn’t be. I should just be thankful for the time to rest, get things together and prioritize life, but it’s just tough. It’s tough emotionally and physically. I feel guilty that I feel that way because there are so many others with problems and injuries that are so much worse. I wish I could just snap out of it, but heck, sometimes you just can’t.

Anyhoo….

My doctors have not said anything about modifying my activity more than I already have so I’m going to keep teaching my classes and cross training.

I’m not even going to attempt to run or jog for at least another week though even if I keep feeling better.

Over the past few months I tried acupuncture a couple times. I liked it, but am not sure it helped that much with everything.

I also saw my chiropractor a good 6 times. Same thing. I think it helped a bit, but no significant difference.

I saw my physical therapist twice. Just told you about my second visit.

So…

this Friday I’m having prolotherapy done for the first time.

I’m nervous, as I always am with anything new, but the doctor I had my consultation with was really great and at this point I’d like to make sure I explore all options to hopefully take care of this before it’s too late and I need a totally hip replacement (which may not be too far away if I’m not careful).

There’s really not that much information out there on hip dysplasia. Seriously, if you Google it you get all these things on dogs having it, not humans. Here’s the best overview I could find.

Hip Dysplasia Overview

I found a few articles on prolotherapy and hip dysplasia here and here also. Neither article is from the doctor I’ll be seeing for treatments, but they give me hope.

I also researched nonsurgical treatment for hip dysplasia and this answer from Discovery Health was a pretty good one.

Although I’m a little concerned with the talk about adopting an anti-inflammation diet and how certain foods in the nightshade family (like cayenne) might boost inflammation. Oopsies.

Okay, well, that’s enough injury talk for me right now. Short and sweet for a change. I’m definitely going to do more research on prolotherapy, anti-inflammatory diets this week. I’m also still reading that It Starts With Food book that touches on joint inflammation a bit in one section.

I’ve read a couple things online that say patients with hip dysplasia aren’t really supposed to be distance runners.

Maybe Judah can “go poo poo” on that thought instead of on the house like he wanted to do. Ha.

Gosh darn it, I want to have one heck of a comeback story.

You know what else I want?

I want to have this new version of my breakfast STUFTwich every day this week.

So darn awesome.

Blueberry Breakfast STUFTwich

my favorite bread

1/2 cup egg whites (microwaved in a bowl sprayed with nonstick spray)

a little coconut oil and buckwheat honey

cinnamon

fresh blueberries (as many as you can try to fit or smoosh in the sandwich)

*You can even add a little chia berry jam in there too, but it doesn’t need it.

Try it.

Have a great day!

Let’s discuss:

Thoughts/experiences with prolotherapy.

Thoughts/experiences with hip dysplasia.

Thoughts/experiences with anti-inflammatory diets.

Favorite breakfast sandwich.

Comments

Tess says:

Wow! I’m so sorry about your injury. You are doing a good job on laughing, joking and skirting the severity of the problem……..which helps, I’m sure, with the acceptance of the issues. But you said there are worse thing….sure! however, when some thing like this is happening to you at this very moment in time and completely disrupts your life style it is THE most important thing for you at this moment. Go through the emotions of the injury, it is neccessary. I have no doubt you will be the Best come back story ;)

Thanks for the update….I guess this hits home personally with me since I too have and have had hip issues for the past year. I was never officially diagnosed with hip dysplasia but it sure sounds the same. (The doctor told me my hips didn’t align correctly and a lot of cartilage had been worn away…if I continued to run more than 3 miles? a couple of times a week …causing flare up and aches I would probably have to have hip replacement with in 5 years) Amazingly the couple of times I started to feel AWESOME and tried to run about 5-6 miles I paid for it with pain the next few days!!!! When kept to a walk/jog around 3 miles I could manage it.

I opted for the cortisone shot and THANKFUL for that. Within 24 hours I could walk “normal” again, get in and out of my car with out assistance and up from a chair with out holding on to the edge of the table.

I never knew there was a special anti-inflammatory diet….and that certain foods aid inflammation….I see many of your favorites appear to be on there!!! UGH!!! I know I need to eat better and lose the winter weight …..guess I better get on that.

Sorry you have to put up with this bump in your road…..it does Simply Suck….have to be honest…now we just need TIME to HEAL for sure!

Christina says:

I’m just so sorry you are dealing with this :( I know it is hard to be sidelined with running. It stinks there hasn’t been a “simple healing fix” either. I do think many of us go through setbacks or things that take us out for the count. For most of us it is a matter of time before something internal catches up with us that prevents the “big runs”. For me personally, my main battle is my upper neck/back, an old pain that always crops up from an old injury years ago, something I have to actively manage with a sports chiro on a monthly basis, or I cannot run well. I think most of us have something that is our cross to bear, so to speak, with this sport. I really have a lot of belief that you will eventually get back to running, most issues are overcome after time and healing. Sometimes the healing does take months, I’ve read this often with so many runners. Even Desi, had to miss the Olympic race and she’s on a many months long course now of healing. Hang in there and many prayers for getting to the end of this tunnel soon with healing, solutions, and back out there!

lindsay says:

james has had prolotherpay 2x. But you must REST for a good 2 weeks after, you can’t take any anti-inflammatory meds either. Be careful! It works you just gotta do it right.

Marilyn says:

I understand about just wanting to share a comeback story. I’ve been a little reluctant to share any of my recovery experience because I find it a little depressing. So, I’m definitely thinking of and hoping for the best for you.

Oh geeze. I’m sorry to hear that. Hopefully the docs are one step closer to getting you all fixed up. Hang in there! (and no jogging!!!) ;)

Oh Kristin. I’m so so sorry. Injuries are so freaking frustrating. You shouldn’t feel guilty because it IS tough mentally and emotionally when our bodies don’t cooperate and there aren’t clear answers or solutions. Fitness is such a huge part of your life and it’s totally and completely normal to feel they way you’re feeling. And it’s hard to pull back and not do something like run which means so much to you. I’ve felt much the same over for the past year or more. Even with having surgery which is supposed to have fixed my knee, things aren’t perfect – I still have pain and there’s still an open question as to whether I need another MRI which I don’t necessarily want because I don’t necessarily want it to show what I have a feeling it will show – that my ACL still sucks and I need another surgery. But I’m going to just not think about that for a while :-) All this to say is that I have faith that you will find a solution and that you will be back at it soon. And if you ever need/want to vent, complain, anything I’m more than happy to lend an ear.

My mom had horrible hip dyspepsia and arthritis for years. She had surgeries to clean out cartilage, etc. But she ended up getting a double hip replacement at 50. She was always active, but never a runner or anything hard core. It was tough for her, really tough. It hurt to walk, lay down, move toward the end. I know you’re no where near a hip replacement right now, but do know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. My mom is doing great! No pain, she even started trying yoga because her doctor said it will help. I know its hard to cut back on doing the thing you love – running – but being able to still teach your exercises classes and just walk is a gift. Remember that. You’re doing great – keep it up!

I’m SO sorry to read about the injury! I understand your pain 100%. I also had/still have hip dysplasia. So does my dog lol. I got 2 hip surgeries when I was in college b/c of it. I had labral tears in each hip joint and they had to be repaired. I posted about it a while back ( http://www.runningbun.com/2012/07/03/i-am-a-success-story/ ).

To sum it up, I didn’t run afterward for years. I was told because of the hip dysplasia, the injury could happen again at any time. After a few years I felt strong enough (mentally as well as psychically) to give it a go and I think it has been pretty successful!

Let me know if you have any questions about the injury, surgery or recovery! It was a long road but it ended positively! I hope you feel some relief ASAP!

Ashley! Thanks for sharing. Totally going to check out your blog now. Yes, I may have lots of questions. :) They tell me the same thing and that my hip can easily dislocate. Lovely. Hang in there! Let’s stick together- you, your dog and me. PS- My dog tore his ACL. :)

Amy says:

I am all about the great recovery story too. It’s a terrible diagnosis for a runner, but athletes like you are always the patients with the best outcome stories because you are able to endure discomfort, do physical therapy properly, and generally treat your body right. Don’t give up hope! You have an intensity for everything you do, so I think you can develop this intensity you have for running in other areas that might help you fill the gap that running has left in your life. Stay positive!

A try at Paleo/Whole30 might make a serious difference! I have experienced faster muscle recovery and have zero inflammation since doing that :) Prayers and strong thoughts with you!!!! xo -Shannon

Have you? I know, the research behind it seems so right on. How you just done it once? Or have you done it a few times?

• I am in my third round of Whole 30 (basically a super-strict version of Paleo, because it eliminates wine/honey/stevia/etc) but have been Paleo/Primal (love my GNC whey!) since August 2012. I am faster, leaner, less sore and have more energy than ever before – and you can still eat your weight in kabocha and almond butter! ;) I recommend reading “It Starts w Food.”

• Karen W. says:

Going Paleo CURED 22 years of chronic pain after doing it for only 2 WEEKS. You should do it perfectly for 30 days. If you notice improvements, you need to stay on it, although after a few months, you kinda figure out your tolerances and thresholds. For example, I am totally non reactive to peanut butter and nightshades. I learned not only am I gluten intolerant, I am GRAIN intolerant.

So 8 months later (after having tried EVERYTHING) I am totally pain free (except for where my horse just stepped on me, lol!) and in no way consider my self to be on a “diet”.

• STUFT Mama says:

It did???????? Oh Karen, I really think it will help me, but I’m scared to take the plunge. What injuries did you have?

• Karen W. says:

No lie…I am still in shock over my results. Everyday I look at my husband and say “Can you believe I just did ______?!?” or “Can you believe I just bumped into ________ and it didn’t hurt?!?”

I did not have an injury, although I do have scoliosis. For most of my life my family and doctors were blaming a large percentage of my pain on my scoliosis, but in my heart I just knew that wasn’t it. I felt like something was poisoning me. I am 36, and I had been in chronic full body pain for as long as I can remember. Over the past decade it was slowly becoming debilitating i.e. not being able to be in any one position of a period of time without feeling like fire was running through my nervous system, my joints locking up, loosing connection with my legs, etc. Plantar fascitis, hair loss, extreme menstrual cramping, extreme fatigue. Sometimes my bones felt like they were going to break from the inside out.

I had no diagnosis. A weird form of MS? Extreme fibromyalgia? A weird form of Lupus? Lyme disease? Mercury poisoning? I even earned my Masters degree in Chinese Medicine trying to cure myself. I literally had tried everything. Was diesel exhaust trying to kill me? Was there mold in my house? I felt SO VULNERABLE to the world around me…

Two years ago I learned about the “paleo” way of eating (living really. I have a bunch of CrossFit friends), but I had been vegetarian for 22 years, so the thought of eating meat was a huge moral and ethical issue. Also, I didn’t have any real digestive issues (or so I thought. Did you know it’s actually not normal to need to fart every day, lol?). Finally, I had had enough. One day in September 2012, I was riding my horse. (By living in pain and never taking any pain relieving drugs, I have developed a very strong mental relationship for physical pain tolerance). He refused a fence and I flew off him BECAUSE MY LEGS STOPPED WORKING. I literally felt my brain loose connection to my legs. Not only was I terrified, but I was SUPER pissed that my “illness” was about to rob me of my greatest joy. So I decided to do the one thing I realized I hadn’t done- I essentially reverse engineered my diet.

In October I eliminated grains, legumes, sugar, and dairy (except ghee) from my diet. I brought in meat (pastured, organic ONLY) and saturated fat. My carbs came from veggies and sweet potatoes. In two weeks, it was like a switch flipped in my body. Like the pain switch flipped from ON to OFF.

Not gonna lie, there were a few frustrating moments, mostly just with learning a new way to meal plan. But there are sooooo many websites on the interwebs to hold your hand; Marks Daily Apple, Civilized Caveman, Whole 9, Against All Grain…the BEST cookbook is Practical Paleo.

And yes, I have done controlled experimentation. In my 3rd month I experimented. 1/2 cup of cooked rice makes me feel like I have a hangover. Corn (organic, non-GMO) immediately gives me joint congestion. (I love taro chips and plantain chips). Wheat brings on sciatica. Peanut butter is fine, yay! Maple syrup is fine, yay! High quality chocolate is fine, yay!

I have an allergy. It’s that simple. It’s like having a shellfish allergy or a nut allergy.

Also, I lost 16 lbs without even trying. I can do Zuzana workouts. My husband can squeeze me without it hurting :-) Most of all, I can ride my horse like nobody’s business!

And to save you time, money and tears, here is the best pancake recipe: http://www.nourishingdays.com/2011/11/grain-free-and-dairy-free-fluffy-coconut-flour-pancakes-revisited/

Email me if you would like to talk more :-)

• STUFT Mama says:

Thank you Karen!!! You’ve just given me so much stinking hope. I need to do some more research. You may be getting emails from me.

• STUFT Mama says:

Just rereading this again Karen. I can’t believe how much better I feel after changing my diet for just a month or so. Would LOVE to chat more about everything. You’re still doing Paleo? I want to ad peanut butter in and see what happens. I miss it. LOL. Here’s my email- kristin@stuftfitness.com

Samantha says:

Good morning and thanks for your update. I totally know the feeling when all the gratitude in the world just can’t take away the loss you are currently feeling. I think it is OK to feel it.

Thoughts/experiences with prolotherapy – this was new to me. So I did read the links you had an looked it up a bit too. Not a lot on the 360deg. joints, so I think if you do it I look forward to hearing your results and first hand account.

Thoughts/experiences with hip dysplasia – a friend of mine has it. She was a dancer as well. She has already had I think one hip replacement and is looking at redoing that one as well as the other hip. Dancing is a different demon on the body and she is in a different generation. You might be dealing with this younger than she did. Dogs have a very different hip joint system and actually do “fine” with the ball removed in many cases.

Thoughts/experiences with anti-inflammatory diets – this is a hard one on me. I am not a fan of elimination any thing. I am aware of the more inflammatory foods out there and I keep it in mind when I am off (same with the anti-inflammatory foods) but I can’t feel if this is more of a mental diet in which people feel better because they think they will. Full disclosure: I don’t have serious food allergies or a serious injury, but in my limited experience I think the elimination diets are a heck of a lot of work, for questionable results. In my personal life I don’t know a person that has been able to stick to them either, even if they felt better on them. Food is complicated as we all well know.

Favorite breakfast sandwich – peanut butter and jelly…after huge bowl of oatmeal.

Hang in there. And acupuncture is also tricky. I think that if it is going to work for you you do have to do it really consistently, like a minimum weekly. I have had injuries in which the difference has been significant and I have had injuries in which I swear it didn’t do squat.

So glad you can still work out aside from running! Not the same release as running, but gives you something to work with. Thinking of you, Sam

meredith says:

I strongly believe in the anti-inflammatory diet. Load up on pineapple,sweet potatoes, cherries. While I never had a serious injury (knock on wood), when I switched my diet to vegetarian and increased fruits and vegetables, the aches and pains in my joints and problem areas disappeared. My muscle recovery time drastically decreased AND most importantly – I used to suffer from nerve pain from a bout with shingles. I never ever experienced the nerve pain again. It was and still is truly amazing. It is all linked to the anti-inflammatory properties in the food we eat.

As I read this, I said lots of curse words (in my head) for what you are going through!!!
    It sucks – no other word to describe it!!!
    I can completely empathize with you – I’ve had more than 1 DR tell me to quit running (never!) and been threatened with a complete hip replacement (2x).
    No words of wisdom, sorry!!! All I can say is I hope that with a little more rest you completely prove the DRs wrong and continue on your journey as a phenomenal distance runner!!!

Gillian says:

Hi! I’m sorry you aren’t feeling better. Unfortunately hip dysplasia is a structural issue. You were born with a shallow hip socket and if you had Perthes the shape of your femora head is abnormal. If you don’t have arthritis in your hip you may be a candidate for an osteotomy which reorients the hip socket and can alleviate pain and help protect your joint. The surgeon I work with Dr. Joel Matta is an expert in the hip and pelvis and one of the few people who does this procedure. He has treated many patients with dysplasia and Perthes. Our website http://www.hipandpelvis.com If you want a consult we are in the office Mondays just call (310) 582-7473. I’m heading to San Diego for RnR! I ran my first marathon in 2011 then one in 2012 and LA 2013. Since LA I’ve been keeping up a good weekly mileage base and I’m going to see how I do with another marathon! I’ll be thinking of you. Let me know if I can help :)

Angie says:

I’m sorry you aren’t a ton better after all of your preventive measures!

I have had great luck with an anti-inflammatory diet. My chiropractor told me about deflame.com, but I mainly read up on it and starting cutting out night shade, inflammatory meats, dairy milk, etc. I have eaten anti inflammatory for just over a year now and I feel the best I have felt in years. I’ll be 40 in a few months and I hurt my back when I was 16 y/o playing basketball. I have had 2 stress fractures in my lumbar spine, and have structural/disc, muscle issues because of my injury and I have degenerative disc disease and have shrunk 2 inches already…..I played thru college and I guess pushing thru the pain didn’t get me anywhere, ha! I still workout but I definitely modify when needed. I do body pump, spin, yoga and mix up the cardio. I have also recently added 3000 mg of the fish oils per day…..thanks to reading your boyfriend Bob’s new book :) He talks about the inflammatory properties it has as well.

In all seriousness, it’s not worth life long pain and suffering. Feel better and Take care of yourself girl! :)

Angie

Thanks Angie! I have degenerative disc disease too. I forgot about that. Ugh. I’m glad you had good luck with the anti-inflammatory diet. I’m doing my research because I better change some things up like NOW. :)

Gosh, I’m so sorry you’re still dealing with this….I want you to have one heck of a comeback story too!! I really hope this new therapy helps, and though a major diet adjustment sounds less than fun, it would be worth looking into. The boundaries of that may be worth being able to run again!
    Praying for you!

I am so sorry:( You should not feel guilty for having a tough time with all of this – it’s TOUGH, and it’s your reality, no body else’s, and it’s a big life change. I don’t necessarily follow a particular anti-inflammatory diet, except that from all that I have read (It Starts with Food, THRIVE – my favorite!!, and Wheat Belly), I know what foods to stay away from and I notice a HUGE difference when I let them creep back in. I feel amazing when I keep the big ones out – gluten, dairy, meat, also eggs. Basically vegan, without the soy products – I won’t do those either. I’m not big into spices. Lots of veggies and fruit and I really don’t care for the “gluten free” processed products – I try to keep it to a bare minimum. It really makes a big difference. Wishing you all the best, and I am looking forward to a GREAT comeback story. You got this:)

Dang, girl… I am so sorry this is so much more than just a rest & recover deal. No words of wisdom, just some empathy and looking forward to hugging you this weekend. :(
    xoxo

Your brace will be all the rage in a few weeks, just wait… Look out Milan.

Sorry about your hip though lady, I hope they figure it out and get you right as rain soon. But I’m totally digging your hilariously sarcastic thoughts on it. :)

Ugh, how frustrating, Kristin! I definitely know what you mean about there being worse things out there than what we’re dealing with, which is an important perspective… but the reality is that you are where you are, and sometimes, life is just HARD. I do not handle injuries well at all. I’ve been dealing with an achy shin and forced myself to stop running this past week to prevent it from turning into something… but when running is normally your therapy, it’s tough to cut it out! Keep us posted… I appreciate that you’re keeping it real, even if you do like to smile and joke about it. Both are important! :)

Lindsay says:

I know exactly how you are feeling. I went for a super fun MRI this morning. Not knowing when/if things will get better is not exactly a party. Injured runners are a different species, aren’t we?

So sorry!!! The old lady in me wants to say DO NOT even think about running. You know I get it cause I am a crazed workout person BUT if you risk increased or worse injury that will take you out even longer or god forbid permanently.. well, is that worth it. Get to a highly recommended doc, ask then the honest truth, ask them about exercise vs. well, they did not say I could not do it.. ask them.. I know, I am the downer but I am more concerned you could injure yourself long term. I see way too much of that in social media – HUGS!!!!

elizabeth says:

you know i can totally relate. i haven’t really been on a run, pain free since january 6th. I haven’t been on a “real” run since january 12th. it sucks. it all really, really sucks. i’m just glad you can at least cross train. i miss it all terrible-but know the surgery was the right decision for me. it has been a blessing and a curse-i have cried and cried, but i have also spent time focusing on me, work, and my relationships. no clue on your treatment though. i love my doc and wish you could fly here to see him (he’s a hip guru). i’m not disciplined enough to restrict my diet. i am better at an everything in moderation-so never looked into that diet either. :) fav breakfast sandwich is a bfast burrito or bacon, egg, cheese!

I am so incredibly sorry that you have to deal with this at all my friend. I’m sure to say it’s frustrating would be an understatement. Hopefully you can find the solution soon so you can lace up the running shoes again! I’m sending you HUGE virtual hugs!

1. [...] read this blog yesterday.  I was intrigued by her egg sandwich topped with fresh blueberries.  I tried it with [...]

2. [...] on how long this little injury decides to keep me sidelined from running and racing, I may just have to see if my new friend Josh [...]

3. [...] I’ve had to get creative and forego my normal blueberry breakfast STUFTwich on this whole little STUFT detox thing that’s going on, I made up a quick little smoothie for the [...]

4. [...] haven’t written an injury update for awhile. My last injury update was kind of a downer and after I wrote that one I stopped keeping track of how long it’s been [...]

5. [...] just not as fast as I was before my injury and I really need to remember that. I have stinking hip dysplasia for goodness sake. I’m darn lucky I can run at [...]

6. [...] in June, when I was dealing with the brunt of the whole hip dysplasia thing, I decided my diet needed a major change if I wanted to recover and take care of myself the [...]

7. [...] Heck, I was even sidelined for a good 5 months with my injury and hip dysplasia. [...]

8. [...] it because of the strong focus it has on brain disorders and inflammation. Ever since the whole hip dysplasia thing, I’m a firm believer that the type of food we put in our body is key to controlling and [...]

9. [...] wasn’t sure how fast I could really go since I haven’t pushed myself in a race since the whole hip dysplasia thing. I figured though that I was going to go for it and see what [...]

10. [...] I’m glad that this experimenting that I’ve been doing since the whole hip dysplasia thing has taught me a few things about how my body wants to be fueled. It’s a learning process to [...]

11. [...] similar to the blueberry breakfast STUFTwich, but with banana instead (egg whites, coconut oil, cinnamon and sliced [...]

12. [...] Paleo type diet, outlined in her book Practical Paleo, helped me tremendously with recovering from hip dysplasia. Maybe not, but I really think diet (the whole STUFT Detox thing) played a huge part of coming back [...]

13. [...] marathon where I felt pretty confident going in since my injury and getting back into running after hip dysplasia treatment. The Marine Corps Marathon with the Runner’s World Challenge was a tough one for me, so [...]

14. [...] wanted it so bad last year. Then my injury happened. Then hip dysplasia chapped my hide and kept me out of quite a few [...]

15. [...] random eats from the weekend include my pre run egg white breakfast STUFTwich with goat cheese cream cheese and [...]