Lunches Lately and How Dessert Just Went Down

Workout:

AM

15 minutes on the stair mill- level 15

Taught a 45 minutes BOSU interval class

PM

1 hour spin class

High quality picture, yes? It was fun to take someone else’s spin class rather than teach it. Trying to get a different perspective and find some more songs to steal. Best songs of the night were some Kelly Clarkson ones. Love her.

So, I’ve been into ginormous salads lately for lunch. Thank goodness because my little squash problem was getting a little out of hand.

I feel so much better after I have a huge salad for lunch rather than an entire sweet roasted kabocha squash. Not to mention my stomach is just a bit less bloated. Not saying that I won’t be consuming an entire kabocha squash soon. There is actually a good chance I will be having one within the next 24 hours. (You better believe I’m going to the store to try to find some tomorrow since we’ve been out for over 24 hours now. It’ll probably happen on the way home from the gym. Ha.)

But, huge salads and warm weather just go well together, don’t they?

Non dairy kale chips and roasted jicama have made a comeback lately and go really well with humming balsamic dressing.

Mmm hmmm….

Oh, and just thought I should share that roasted jicama with a little extra parmesan cheese sprinkled on it was a hit tonight for dinner with the boys. It was my proud mama moment of the day.

Today I got woken up a bit early by these two in my face.

So with the little extra time on my hands I made Tutu’s green beans, but modified the recipe and didn’t add any olive oil (we were out).

Good thing we had an unopened jar of Trader Joe’s garlic too because the one I found in the fridge was a little old.

Oopsies. Please tell me I’m not the only one this happens to.

Anyhoo….

the beans were a delicious addition to today’s salad:

different lettuce mixes from Trader Joe’s (butter lettuce, baby spring greens), roma tomato, grilled chicken breast, humming balsamic dressing, fresh basil and Tutu’s green beans.

Desserts the past two night have definitely not been anti-inflammatory or Whole30 (from my current read It Starts With Food) approved. (Yes, I’m still researching and trying to figure out if I want to take the plunge.) But, the desserts have been delicious none the less.

Last night it was the 120 calorie dark chocolate muffin (made in the oven instead of the microwave) with 1/2 broken up peanut butter Quest Bar baked in.

Tonight it was a Flatout cinnamon crisp bowl with both frozen frosting combinations at the bottom.

(Note to self- does not photograph well.)

Then I filled that baby up with cake batter protein ice cream which works marvelously in the NutriBullet (but again, does not photograph well).

IMG_8797IMG_8798IMG_8801

It ended a little something like this.

While everyone else was sleeping. Yes, everyone. I can hear both Kitty and STUFT Daddy snoring right now. Shhh….. don’t tell.

Good night.

What’s your favorite salad?

I’m going to need some ideas so I don’t get bored with mine.

Comments

meredith says:

I dump all kinds of roasted vegetables in my salad depending upon what I have on hand – butternut squash has made a comeback lol along with roasted cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, brussel sprouts, roasted plum tomatoes (brings out the sweetness), asparagus, green beans…I could keep the list going lol…I typically add black beans or chick peas, topped with avocado. Lately I have added quinoa to my mix. Occasionally some chopped apple. As for dressing, I have been using Trader Joe’s BBQ sauce. Just a tiny bit goes a long way…Or, sometimes I do a scoop of hummus…endless possibilities with these salad bowls!

I’ve been eating protein “fro sties” a lot lately. I have the magic bullet, but now I’m wishing I had the nutribullet! I had never even heard of it until after I got mine for Christmas! As for salads, mine change up all the time. My favorite is roasted eggplant, roasted red peppers, over easy egg, some egg whites, romaine lettuce, honey mustard (I make my own with a little honey, spicy brown mustard and a splash of ACV) and nutritional yeast. The yolk with the dressing and the nooch…YUM!

Amber says:

I LOVE a traditional caprese salad but I’ve started adding all sorts of things to them and they end up even better. If I’m watching my calories more than usual, then I will use fat free feta cheese in the place of the buffalo mozzarella and it tastes great! I add avocado, edamame, grilled chicken, shrimp, cucumbers, banana peppers and other random vegetables I have at the time. I never thought a caprese would be a good base for a salad but it really is. The basil goes well with almost anything! I use mostly balsamic vinegar with a light spray of olive oil. Again…great blog…you keep me laughing! And please know my thoughts are with you while you manage your injury. It’s very inspiring to read about your situation so please don’t think it’s Debbie Downer talk…I find it motivational. :)

When we were in the process of moving I threw a bunch of things out from our cabinet that Ben had before I moved in (two years ago)… needless to say, you’re not alone.

Samantha says:

Who wouldn’t want to wake up with those two in your face? :) Cuteness. :) Salads, well, anything I have on hand. I do find that olives or pickles really give it something special.

Carrie says:

Make it a mexican salad. Adding beans and salsa instead of dressing. Or I love making a salad with fresh fruit and bleu cheese.

kristen says:

Favorite salad right now: mixed greens with lentils, beets and goat cheese…

Oh I LOVE adding string beans to my salad…It’s been a while since I’ve done that. I am a huge fan of BIG Mexican salads. Cannot go wrong with any of those flavors! YUMMY! Can you please make me one of your desserts? LOL…

Nicole says:

Broccoli salad with dried cranberries, (turkey) bacon, and cashews. Or, chinese chicken salad….can you figure out a way to add more sriachcha?

Beets are also super tasty!

I love making different salad combos.

Some of my favs:
    Salmon with fresh salsa over spinach and arugala
    grilled chicken with black beans and corn over any lettuce or spinach
    Apples, dried cranberries and apricots and fresh mozz over spinach

What can I say, I’m lazy. Kale salad a la Costco is about as good as it gets these days. On a good day, spinach, almonds, strawberries, seeds (whatever’s handy – hemp, chia, flax), and chicken. Must try your balsamic hummus dressing, I’ve been dumping greek yogurt & sriracha and calling that dressing.

Hmm, Nutri Bullet v. Magic Bullet v. Ninja? What say you?

Lately I’ve been adding a lot of mixed vegetables/whatever I have laying around to my kale salads. I also LOVE adding avocado or goat cheese or sometimes even some pine nuts or strawberries with a good balsamic dressing.

I also was wondering… what do you have to say about the Nutri Bullet vs. the Magic Bullet?

Natalia- I’m in love with the Nutri Bullet. I think it’s better than the Magic Bullet. maybe I should do a comparison post. You think? :)

Tracey says:

I need to be able to post these wonderful recipe creations!!! :)

Tracey says:

LOL..I meant PIN :)

Your desserts always look so awesome!! And I agree, they are best enjoyed alone while everyone else is fast asleep.

JJ says:

I totally know how you feel from missing all of these races and these wonderful plans you made for yourself. I have had a lifelong problem with my ankles and last December, right before Christmas I sprained/cracked it pretty bad just stepping off of a curb! Seriously…a curb! Anyway, it was 2 months after my first marathon and I had all these plans to race and run this year that were stopped because how can I run when I can’t even walk without pain? But after months of physical therapy I’m slowly getting back to it. I’m doing the C25K program. (Which as a marathoner, is really embarrassing to only run for minutes instead of miles.) There won’t be any big races for me this year, but that doesn’t mean with some rest, some strengthening and some little runs I wont be back next year! The same is true for you! t sucks, but we’ll get better and be back better than ever!

Hi! I take quite a few spin classes while away at school and one of my favorite songs an instructor used was Train’s “50 Ways to Say Goodbye.” It sounds really morbid, but the chorus mentions ways the girl could die (5 or 6 times each chorus) and each time he sang one, we added a gear. It’s a great hill song, I usually ended up maxing at gear 21 or 22.

The other day I cleaned out our pantry – there were a few cans from the single digit years of 2000 – a bit embarrassing!!! I don’t even know how that happens!!

Well, that dessert looks incredible!
    I love having salads for lunch (or dinner) during the warm weather. Smoothies are another go-to meal for me when it’s hot out too.

Kimberly J says:

Did you freeze both frostings into the cinna bowl? It looks amazing.

Rene' says:

Loving any kind of salad right now. It is starting to get hot and humid here in the northeast and I definitely feel better after a salad. And yes, I can beat you on something old in the fridge/pantry. I found spices the other day in my pull out that said Bread and Circus on them….Whole Foods has not been Bread and Circus for a really, really long time. Happy Wednesday!

I have been on a serious green bean kick lately! Those look delicious!

I am lazy so I am not a salad maker but if somebody makes it for me.. :) Closest I get is TJs broccoli slaw & throw some already cooked TJs beets & a couple other things I have in the house on top o fit.. :)

These recipes are killing me – I want them all!