My New Gym Friend and a No Grain Maple Cake

My workout was little bits and pieces yesterday. It was all about doing what I could with the time I had.

25 minutes on the stair mill, 10 on the elliptical in the morning during the boys’ swim lessons.

Taught my HIIT class and a strength class at the Y and then hopped on the elliptical there for 20 minutes.

No pictures. After my last post about dressing the part and all, my outfit of the day yesterday wasn’t pretty. I’m a little behind on laundry. Let’s be honest though, there were way too many pictures of me in the last post. Ugh. (There’s still time for the Reebok tee giveaway though!)

How about I show you some pictures of my swimming super stars instead?

This was before their very first swimming lesson on Tuesday.

This was before their second lesson yesterday.

What a difference huh? They’re trying something new too.

So I have a new friend at the gym.

The other day I pulled a genius move and only brought my spin shoes to the gym. I usually like to do a little elliptical after I teach spin on Wednesdays, but that did happen this week. In the car when I told the boys that I’d forgotten my shoes Joaquin said “You can just run on the treadmill in your flip flops”.

Hmm…..

No and no. Good thinking though I guess.

My plans to get a little elliptical workout while watching Live With Kelly and Michael went down the tubes and I found this little gem instead.

IMG_3048_thumb2

I’ve seen people on these eSpinner bikes before, but never really thought of getting on one myself. The other day it was my only option besides going in the spin room and teaching myself a little solo class. Ha ha.

So, it was kind of fun. You can hook up your iPhone or iPod and do your own workout or pick one of the videos.

I went for the interval one.

I put in all my information

(the only thing correct in this picture is my gender by the way) and hung out with my new friend for 30 minutes.

Thanks to instagram I learned his name is Josh Taylor. Funny that I just recently read “First Time Rider Spinning Tips” from Fit Bottomed Mama and juts now realized that the interview with with him for advice. Dang I’m a quick one. Ha.

Anyhoo, Josh gave me a good little interval workout. He was a bit calm for me and the music wasn’t too motivating, but he knew his stuff.

This bike would be a really good option for anyone new to spin. The screen told me exactly what to do and even what kind of hand placement I should have for the different bike positions and intervals.

I decided I wouldn’t mind having one of these bikes at home.

Depending on how long this little injury decides to keep me sidelined from running and racing, I may just have to see if my new friend Josh can get me a deal. He he. Or I suppose I could just keep visiting him at the gym.

I did feel a little weird on the bike in the middle of the cardio room, like other people were looking at me while they were doing their thing on the treadmill or elliptical, but it was fun to try something new. It was fun to make myself a little uncomfortable.

Oh, and random, but Halo Headbands are a must in my book for spin classes.

Moving on.

I made this little no grain maple biscuit/muffin/cake type thing last Friday.

I’ve pretty much made it every day since. Yesterday a version of it was baked in a sweet roasted kabocha squash.

I topped it with some low calorie peanut butter frosting with a little maple extract mixed in and added some buckwheat honey and coconut oil to the remaining kabocha wedges.

Mmm… hmmm…

It’s similar to the protein maple cake I posted last week, but has more of a biscuit texture and has chia in it since chia makes everything better.

It’s just fantastic.

It’s best topped with coconut oil and buckwheat honey and some PB2.

But it’s also great as the bottom “layer” for some cake batter protein ice cream, fresh berries and a little PB2 powder.

Oh my.

Okay, I’ve got to do a little research with my It Starts With Food book. I have my first prolotherapy appointment early today. I’m a little nervous and I’m making a promise to myself to eat as clean as possible for at least 2 weeks once I start treatment. I have to make sure I’m mentally prepared for that. And yes, I think that means I’m cutting out artificial sugar for at least two weeks. Can I do it?

Hey, if you want to jump on board with me just to be supportive, let me know. Ha ha.

Also, I know I owe you a lot of comments and emails. I keep meaning to get to that, but it’s been a busy week. Hopefully this weekend since I’ll be resting while my bloggy friends race the race I spent $160 on an unused bib for, I’ll have some time.

Lucky me.

Happy Friday!

Have you seen those spinner bikes?

Seriously, anyone want to do a little It Starts With Food, Practical Paleo or a 21-Day Sugar Detox (a new one starts on Monday) with me? Ugh. I really feel like I need to stop talking about it and just do it now while I’m still injured and need to recover anyway. I might need a little help.

Comments

Tessa says:

If you do start up a food challenge like whole 30, practical paleo or sugar detox I am on board. I need to refocus and be more strict. Summer weather and more time at home with my little girl is making me a little more lax and I need to refocus!

YES! I need to get my butt back on track!!! I may have to finally buy that book and follow your struggle while I struggle too…ha!

meredith says:

I swear by my motto that “an apple with peanut butter a day keeps the doctor away”…I know it is frustrating and scary to switch up the foods you so routinely eat. I would not want someone to tell me to stop eating what I eat since I am a total creature of habit like you are – but- you can do this! I would think you can still eat fruit, yes? Apples with peanut butter are the way to go to replace artificial sugar. Load up on fruits and vegetables. Sweet potatoes, berries, keep your squash! I really think it will help you heal and you will notice how wonderful you feel.

Lizzie says:

I did a whole 30 in January and it was great! Just commit to it and focus on what you CAN eat that will nourish your body instead of what you CAN’T eat.

Jennifer says:

Reading It Starts With Food now and need to cut sugar out which has crept back n over the school year. I have to get a handle on my eating!

Kori says:

Salt & sugar are devils in disguise!!! I gave both up several yrs ago, but when I was pregnant the second time…..that baby wanted SUGAR!!!!! I’m STILL fighting that addiction & she is now 3! I’ll do it with ya!!! I’m the type that has to go “cold turkey” & can’t even have one little taste cuz then I just want more!!!! ( however, I’m not a huge fan of sugary drinks) whew

Samantha says:

In theory as a vegan I should be able to swing the sugar detox…but the question is will I be able to live with myself? :) Have a good weekend. Grrr on another bib! Hang in there and send some sun my way!

DAnielle says:

Do you ever take a day off from exercise? Like, completely off? Just wondering.

I am so down to do the Whole 30 program with you!!!!! :)

morgan says:

a few months ago we went to the city for an over night & stayed at this really nice new hotel (thanks priceline!) and it had one of those bikes! super small like closet gym room but it was awesome :) it made me work harder just because it was so fun!

we have 2 of those same Espinning bikes at my gym. I love that most people havent discovered how amazing they are yet, because I usually never have to wait for one!

Courtney says:

i’m with you! i’ve been researching paleo all week. and am planning on, bit by bit, switching my family over. likely not 100%, i can’t buy into it 100%, but mostly. and DEF getting rid of the sugar! we’re going strawberry picking tomorrow – and i found a way to make jam with no sugar!

Elle says:

I did a Whole 30 in January and am on day 3 of another. I wonder how you will manage giving up these little baked treats and sugar and artificial sweeteners to do a paleo challenge? Whenever I see one of your great little recipes, I think, ‘oh yeah, that looks great but I can’t eat that! ‘ I wish you well with it, though. Will be interested to read about your experiences.

Hi:) I didn’t feel like finding my last comment, so here is the Thrive book that I was talking about, on amazon- http://www.amazon.com/Thrive-Nutrition-Optimal-Performance-Sports/dp/0738212547/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370032991&sr=8-1&keywords=thrive
    It will change the way you view food. It did for me, anyway! Not to say I eat perfectly, but I have a better understanding of it all. Very interesting stuff!:)

ps – just do it:) It will be hard for the first few days, but you will feel SO good, you won’t even crave sugar. I still use stevia in my tea, but that’s about it. It will make a HUGE difference in your life:)

Sarah L says:

I gave up artificial sugar about 2 months ago after I learned I was having a reaction to it that was aggravating my insomnia. It was hard to quit, but I was really motivated! I have noticed a significant improvement in my sleeping and have gradually moved more towards eating paleo… which has opened my eyes to how much processed food I’d been relying on (if you’d asked me 6 months ago I would’ve told you I ate a really “clean” diet). I’m feeling great these days! Focusing on all the amazing things you CAN eat vs the things you are cutting out really helps!

Annie Heiss says:

We used to have those spin bikes at my old gym and I miss them so much! Some days I want to spin, but there’s no class going on, and I don’t feel motivated enough to do it myself. Wish I still had them! That gym had coached treadmills too, which were AWESOME. You could set a recovery pace, a steady pace, and a sprint pace, and it would coach you through intervals.

Janet says:

I’ve not seen any of those fancy shmancy bikes at our gym! Super cool!
    I’m actually considering going sugar-free with you- which would be a tough one- I gave up soda and cake, pastries, but I do love my Hot Tamales. I know that sugar is NOT good for us, but I consider it one of the little things I can enjoy- will think about it this weekend! Love & blessings!!

Oh this maple cake sounds great! I love your fun recipes! I have read a few blog posts by some who have done paleo, 21 day cleanses, and other diets. I honestly don’t think I could do it. I would miss greek yogurt and peanut buter way too much.

Hey guys! We have a big group starting The 21-Day Sugar Detox on June 3rd (Monday!) and we support everyone along the way on the Facebook page — TONS of folks there. You can start with everyone or start on your own – together as your own group or each whenever you’re ready! There are also FREE daily detox emails you can sign up for and enter your own start date so you’ll get them according to the day you’re on! Plenty of info about it all at http://www.21daysugardetox.com and on FB > http://www.facebook.com/21daysugardetox

I love seeing so many excited and motivated people ready to get going!
    Diane

PS- The 21-Day Sugar Detox doesn’t exclude yogurt on Levels 1 and 2 though peanuts are out :-/

I must make this cake ASAP! Like literally, tonight. I’m starting the 21 day sugar detox on Monday!!

HOLY SWEATING! Guess it worked you!!!! I forgot to say in your doctor appt post – YIKES on the shots but hope they work.. and of course you know I am not doing the no sugar thing.. :) I try my best but I just know I would not get thru that plus I really don’t want to.. this old lady says.. :)

I’m a little jealous of the awesome equipment at your gym. We have nothing that high tech. We can plug our head phones in and watch the 3 TV’s hanging from the ceiling….although it’s always on news or sports.:-(

Kim Perry says:

I’m thinking about taking you up on the sugar-detox challenge! I’ll have to look into it/start planning!!

1. [...] I like to experiment with different snacks I find on Pinterest. One of my favorite finds is this No-Grain Maple Chia Cake from STUFTmama. She’s awesome No-Grain Maple Chia Cake a la [...]