What I’m Doing- The STUFT Detox (If You Care)

Before I reveal my plan, just thought you should know these were a big hit for dinner around here last night.

Definitely not part of the new plan, but Trader Joe’s Sweet Potato Tots were a win for the tots. He he.

We picked them up at the new store right after I wrote my last post.

Super excited about having a new store so close, but not sure about the “no pants, no service” policy and I already have a little issue with the size of the shopping carts. Ha ha.

So, the only processed sugar or artificial sweetener I’ve had in the past 3 days has been a couple drops of stevia extract (10 to be exact), a little sugar in that darn sriracha sauce (and who knows what other hot sauce that has it hidden in there) and a 1/2 glass of wine.

Um, before the past three days I was consuming way too many packets of sweetener a day. I don’t know the exact amount, but I’m guessing at least around 7 or so and that’s not even including the sugar free syrup I was adding into my perfect summer mocha, frozen frosting, etc.

That is just not okay. I didn’t even realize it.

Let me just say, I’m big on moderation and the whole 80/20 rule like I wrote about here almost a year ago.

I think everything is okay in moderation.

However, I have gotten a little out of control with my artificial sugar usage which has led to serious craving for real processed sugar that I have indulged in more than I’d really like to admit.

Pretty much I have not been fueling my body the right way. A lot of things I eat don’t make it on the blog  and I’ve been craving all the wrong foods. I’m sure stress and being injured doesn’t help, but I’ve been craving sweet foods like crazy.

Bleh.

I decided that if I really want to get over this injury thing, I’m going to do everything I can to get there.

If I’m paying for prolotherapy and resting and wanting my body to heal the best that it can, I better as heck to my part to fuel it properly and stop putting artificial ingredients in it.

I’ve been talking about cleaning up my diet for months now. Poor STUFT Daddy gets to hear about it all the time.

Well, time to stop talking and DO IT.

I’ve taken a few baby steps the past three days. I’m not going to lie, it’s been tough and my body doesn’t quite know what’s going on yet.

I also think I’m going to have to get mighty creative the next couple of weeks, but here’s a couple things I did just in the past few days. (I’ll post new recipes and whatnot as I make them, but just wanted to share a few already.)

Saturday I made sweet roasted kabocha squash and jicama minus the sweetener. It wasn’t too shabby (although it wasn’t the same either). The coconut oil, coconut flour almond milk cream combo (with a couple drops of stevia extract) and NuttZo mixed with almond milk helped though.

IMG_3152_thumb[2]

Yesterday I revisited that same kabocha squash and made my no grain maple chia cake (in half the squash). Instead of the sweetener packets I used 1/3 of a very ripe banana. It definitely wasn’t as sweet, but it was still pretty good. Then I used the other 2/3 of the banana to make some “frosting” by  mixing it with melted coconut butter.

IMG_3176_thumb[3]

Definitely not the same as low calorie peanut butter frosting, but much cleaner and no artificial ingredients.

Baby steps.

So hey, here’s the plan for the next, oh, say 27 days.

Why 27?

Well, because that’s my sister-in-law’s wedding (remember the tuxes). It’s also somewhere between the amount of days in the 21-Day Sugar Detox and the It Starts With Food Whole 30 plan.

It seems like the perfect number to commit to. It’s also the age STUFT Daddy and I were when we got married. He he.

And, fingers crossed, in 27 days maybe I’ll be running again. Wouldn’t that be glorious?

After all my reading the past few days I’ve come up with a little plan.

I’m going to do my best to follow a combination of the 21-Day Sugar Detox and It Starts With Food Whole 30 plan. (I caught myself there- you need to commit and tell yourself you WILL do something rather than you’re going to “try” to do something.)

The plan:

In a nutshell (from the Whole 30)-

Eat meat, seafood, eggs, a lot of vegetables (I’m assuming they specifically mean broccoli slaw, zucchini and kabocha squash- kidding), some fruit and healthy fats.

Things that are “NO” foods- dairy, legumes, sugar (real or artificial), alcohol, white potatoes and grains.

I’m not totally sure I’m on board with the whole no grains thing as I think whole grains are good for you and I know my body likes them (especially when I’m marathon training). But, hey, you only live once and I’m not going to find any answers unless I do this the right way and go by the book, so what the heck. A few weeks without them won’t kill me.

The 21-Day Sugar Detox has very similar guidelines, but actually has different levels depending on how strict you want to be or how crazy your sugar cravings are that you want to kick to the curb. Fruits are a bit more limited (only apples and bananas), but on some levels dairy and legumes/grains are allowed.

I guess it’s all about finding what works for you.

There is a big group starting the 21-Day Sugar Detox today. You can find out more on their Facebook page here:

21-Day Sugar Detox Facebook Page

I signed up for the daily email and have my PDF handbook printed out and ready to go.

If you follow the Whole 30 plan according to the It Starts With Food book, you’ll be doing the sugar detox as well if you limit the fruit intake. Yep, two birds, one stone.

I’m not going to lie, I’m a little nervous. I’m already coming up with a few excuses in my head, but goodness help me, I want to get over my little artificial sugar overconsumption problem and be nice to my body for a change. I need to let it heal inside and out.

Things I’m going to miss for the next 4 weeks or so:

Quest bars, PB2, peanut butter (other nut butters are okay and my new favorite is the peanut free NuttZo), Torani sugar free syrup, my new favorite sweetener, Flatout cinnamon crisps, my favorite bread……

I better stop there actually because I think it’s making things worse. Ha ha.

So, here we go.

27 days.

I also found two really helpful resources from the Whole 9 Life website to help kick things off:

- a great meal planning template

- a grocery shopping list

There’s a whole list of other resources here as well. (I know, sorry, a lot of information, but I want to share everything I’ve been finding.)

Whole 9 Life Resources

If you’re just thinking about taking baby steps and dabbling with Paleo a little rather than going all out with the Whole 30 plan, Balanced Bites is a great place to start as well as Diane’s book, Practical Paleo with a ton of recipes and information. (She’s the author of the 21-Day Sugar Detox also. She’s also one of my new good friends, she just doesn’t know it yet.)

I actually don’t even know if you’re joining me or if you might juts want to eliminate sugar for a bit and not change anything else, but thought I’d throw it all on the table for you.

So, enough food chat for now?

Dang, it’s time to get seriously creative for a couple weeks. It’s going to take a lot more prep work and planning, but it’ll be worth it. It’s just 4 weeks, right?

I’m so curious to see how we’ll feel at the end.

You too?

Have a great day!

What’s your “plan” if you have one? (21- Day Sugar Detox, Whole 30, sugar elimination, just giving up processed foods, etc.)

And if you’re not into any of this food talk, tell me your thoughts on the new season of The Bachelorette. Worth it to watch or no? I’m tempted.

Comments

Tess says:

Knowledge is power and you gave us some great power with this post. Thanks for hitting major points on nutrition details of both plans. I’m definintly intersted and may jump on board the sugar detox!!

Kori says:

Ran for you yesterday! I wasn’t feeling well, but it was a be-you-tiful (cute right?) day so thought I’d go for a quick one while my girls napped. Half way through my head started pounding BAD & was trying to talk myself into stopping & outta the blue “Stuft Mama can’t run right now” popped into my head, so I didn’t stop, kept going for you! I’m not much of a runner & it was only 4 miles (all hills on gravel road though) lol, but still! So can you do one thing for me? Pushups, I dislike them & have this shoulder/back injury that makes them even harder! Ha Ha Thanks Stuft Mama….I’m with ya on this whole sugar thing too….. turning 40 this weekend!!!!! (so may have a pinch)

Ha. Yes, definitely cute. Thanks for running for me. That actually really just made my day friend. I will do extra push-ups for you. Yay for 40 this weekend! Woot! And yay for no sugar!

itz easy to get carried away with artificial sweeteners… i definitely find myself sweetening everything from time to time and itz important to take a step back… just like you’re doing!! good for you, lady!!

Janell says:

While I certainly agree with the whole avoid artificial sweeteners and processed foods argument, I think you should be careful on this detox. With your activity level your going to need to make sure you get enough carbs. That’s really hard to do when you eliminate fruit and grains. I’ve been that route and I’m glad to say I’ve “recovered” from that whole paleo mindset. Good luck and be careful!

I know, I’m already getting a little worried. If I need more I’m adding in grains first thing. I totally believe whole grains are good and healthy and that I need them. :) Just trying to follow the book for a bit if I can. We’ll see. Thanks Janell. My main thing is staying away from processed food and artificial sweeteners.

bethp262 says:

I was actually hoping you’d be doing something like this when I saw you were reading It Starts With Food. I also just read it and am planning on doing it. I was planning on waiting a couple of weeks as I have some events the next two weekends that I won’t be in control of the food. But maybe I will start anyway now and see what happens even if it means having to start over!

Becky Przy says:

Your plan looks great Kristen! So impressed by you…I am sure you will be up and running soon (well after the shock of no sugar wears off;))
    My plan is to cut down to 1 serving of sugar/day (1 packet of stevia or 1 quest bar, 1 cookie, 1 seriving of ice cream etc). But with pregnancy cravings it might be easier/harder depending on the day;-)

I got sucked in to the Bachlorette again this season–seems like slim pickings, but I am sure the wierdos and the good guys will keep it interesting.

Becky- that is a darn good plan. If I wasn’t dealing with this darn injury that would be my plan too. Only going extreme because of the circumstances. How far along are you again? Feed those cravings mama- they’re telling you something. :)

GOOD LUCK! I’m sure it will be worth it in the long run – just keep telling yourself that :)

First jealous of the TJs. Second I love your dedication. I know it sounds cliche, but I really think you’re going to come out of this so much smarter and stronger than before.

Somehow I missed that meal planning template before on their website. I’ll have to show that to my parents as sometimes they just don’t want to think too much with meals :D

I think that it’s so great that you are giving this a try 100%! I really think that taking away grains can make a world of difference for some people, so it will be good to know once you try introducing again them if they’re a problem or not. Good luck!

Lexa says:

Wow I can’t wait to see the new recipes. I have been battling my cravings with diet soda for a while. It is really the last artificial sweeter that I use. I would like to eliminate more real sugar too. You can do this and like you said its only for a short time and I bet you are going to like it once you get over the initial shock.

Lindsey says:

I am going to join you on the no sugar plan. I use to be so good but since having my son 3 mths ago I think I turn to sugar (artificial and real) as a crutch when I’m tired. I am not setting a certain amount of days as eventually I want this to become a lifestyle. I will continue to read your blog religiously, and it will hopefully help me get through the tough days (I love raisins and fruit:(
    Thank you for your inspiration!

Mollie says:

Keep us updated on the detox! The reality of how bad my artificial sweetener problem is was revealed to me last summer when I tried to give up diet pop…let’s just say it was ugly and leave it at that.

Yvette says:

I agree with Janelle. Definitely be careful with the strict Paleo information. I ate a Paleo lifestyle for over a year and dabbled with the whole primal living. Although I think that there is some good advice to what they have to say, I admit that as a runner–the low carb intake, high fat did NOT work for me. I think it’s great to read lots of literature and educate myself as much as possible, but, at the end of the day, I do what’s best for my body. I exclude gluten because I do have an intolerance to it, but I do not exclude corn, rice or legumes anymore. I agree with you in regards to limiting GMO products, like articifical sweeteners. Man-made products and chemicals are foreign objects and should be avoided, but it definitely is hard sometimes and can become addicting! I have some other sites for you to check out: Paleoista and Mark’s Daily Apple. Good luck. And, I’m glad I stumbled on your site!

Danielle says:

Paleo doesn’t mean low carb though! You can still get in 200 g or more of carbs per day with sweet potatoes, rutabaga, root vegetables, coconut flour/almond flour, and fruit. I can run miles just fine on paleo!

Traci says:

I have read both It Starts With Food and Practical Paleo and I have also done a 21 day sugar detox (about 6 months ago). I am a runner like you and I found that I had hardly enough energy to keep up with my workout schedule so I had to modify the plan and eat more sweet potatoes, squash and fruit. Once I made those changes my energy was fine though and I trained for my first marathon almost completely grain/gluten free! Never felt better! Also, another great resource on the Whole9 website is their forum and they have a category specifically for athletes. http://forum.whole9life.com/

Good luck Kristin!

Christina says:

I like a lot of this plan. For me, I have trouble with becoming “starving hungry” if I don’t get in some “bulk” so it’s hard to lose the grains. I know extra protein can help with staving off hunger so maybe that is part of the equation. And Maybe sweet potatoes can sub in for removing some grains?

Francoise says:

Hi! My first comment on your blog. I read you every day. I am a runner as well and whenever I went low carb and high fats, my energy levels depleted and I did not have a lot of strength during my runs. I am back to high carb (lots of whole grains, veggies) and feeling solid. Moderation in everything is the key. Even when having artificial sweeteners. Please keep us posted anyway. You will learn a lot about yourself during this experiment. Btw, I do believe in a higher source, like you do, and I think that changing your thoughts about this injury (I am actually coming back from an injury too) will also go a long way towards healing. You will heal, I have not one single doubt. And I am reading every day as I know one of these days, you will tell us the good news! Patience is also another key. Patience is fine. You will heal!

xoxoxoxo
    Francoise

jennifer Mykytiuk says:

So I am following the Bobs skinny rules agàin. And reading It starts with food. Bobs rules are basically veggies, fruit, lean protein with emphasis on plant proteins, no sugar, only whole grain wheat. I am allowing myself pb2 always and starbucks for theI week then going on a coffee detox. The hardest part is cutting out snacking on pretzels, crackers, animal crackers! I didn’t realize how bad i had gotten about eating processed junk! I eat sprouted grain only. I have found sprouted tortillas and bread at trader joes amd a brand essential eating online that carries sprouted pasta amd pretzels. I may add that in later. Here is what i notice from my horrible eating 1. Even though i am in my normal weight zone i have developed these horrible pockets of fat -and like a muffin top!- that i didnt have before. 2. I can not get down out of the higher end of my weight zone. And it keeps climbing. After 2 days- i ami am down a pound

Elle says:

I am on day 6 of yet another Whole 30 – love eating this way – don’t miss grains (and I was a huge Flatout wrap fan) and ditching the artificial sweeteners is a GOOD thing. … wishing you well with your quest for health, too.

Niccicola says:

Hey, Mama! So glad to hear that you are doing a detox diet for this month because I am, too! Now I can keep motivated reading about your progress!

I came across a blog post that talked about a recent TED Talks and it said “Time is going to pass whether you like it or not. Why not try something new within that time? It will be over soon enough!”

So, I decided to buckle down and get serious about my food intake this month! We can do it, Mama!!

Janet says:

Oh Kristin! Way to go- saying prayers for you and will join you on the NO-sugar for 30 days, although I will allow for moderate art.sweeteners in my coffee and protein muffins. I LOVE candy and I believe that has kept me from dropping the last part of my weight!! OK- so at least you’re not in this struggle alone!!
    We’re all rooting for you!

Oh goodness Janet- don’t want this to be about me. Oops. But just wanted to share it with everyone. Oh man do I have a problem with sugar. Eeeekkk…. hope this will help. Hugs!

Nicole V. says:

Lots of admiration and support frome me to you!! GO KRISTIN!

Over 2 years ago I gave up artificial sweetener packets and have never looked back. I was having almost 6 Equal packets daily. UGH! One day I went cold turkey and haven’t gone back and it feels great. I love coffee and now actually enjoy the taste of it, rather than the sweetness. Good Luck with the challenge and excited to see how you feel after. :)

I get the same feeling! Whenever I end up making my 80/20 more like 70/30 and so on…I end up craving terrible foods. It’s hard to get back to cleaning up your diet, but I know you will rock it and feel so much better!

Leslie says:

I already try to limit sugar/sweeteners (I read labels like a maniac and don’t buy sauces, etc with sugar in them) but I’ve found myself eating a lot of processed foods lately. I think it’s easy to get in that rut of grabbing things that are pre-made, but my body runs so much better with whole foods, so I’m definitely going to join you in trying to limit those again. Good luck to you!

Also, this season of the Bachelorette doesn’t look very promising, but that won’t stop me from watching it. ;)

I wish you all the luck with this stuft detox! I am excited to hear how it goes for you. I think that whole grains are good for you but I know I could defiantly cut down on my sugar and over processed carb intake.

ani says:

Hi Kristen. Wow—two challenges at once? You are a superwoman–for sure. Here are my thoughts (Mine and I come from a place of “care”). You are very active so you are cutting a lot out at once. And you care for two young boys! But more power to you as to forge on. One thing I can say is yes, you do use lots of fake sugar. Why not just eat the real thing (and thus follow the whole30 plan?). Eat real peanut butter. Eat real true dark chocolate. Eat almond milk ice cream that’s made with real organic sugar, etc. As your body learns to trust you and you trust it, you will be satisfied with the whole rich, healthy food in smaller amounts rather than loading up on this, that, and other stuff filled with fake sugar just to make a ginormous dessert bowl. I believe in volumizing food especially with veggies paired with great sources of protein. but try eating the real deal with desserts and you may see a big difference.

Ani- Not really two at once, they just kind of go together. My main thing is trying to cut out the artificial sugars and stuff, but also am very interested about how the science behind the Whole 30 will affect my injury/healing. I’m all about eating the REAL STUFF once this is over, but want to give my body a chance to get far away from the artificila stuff first. Thanks so much for your comment.

Danielle says:

Hey!

I started doing Paleo about 2 months ago now. It’s a difficult transition at first, but HANG IN THERE because IT REALLY REALLY DOES pay off! I couldn’t run for a while because I have an inflamed tendon in my shin/calf area, i have custom made orthotics and all because I have flat feet, and ever since I’ve been eating Paleo, it doesn’t hurt anymore!– Its seriously a miracle!!!! It’s amazing how EVERYTHING in your body is affected by the food you eat. It’s not like I was eating bad before, I ate very similar to you, but now I don’t eat grains, gluten, or peanuts –or the artificial sweeteners (besides stevia). Grains and gluten really do cause inflammation. Sorry for all the caps! I’m just excited about how I cured myself through nutrition! :) best of luck!!!

Awesome!! Good luck with your detox. I went paleo with Diane’s Practical Paleo book about 4 months ago and I’ve never felt better. Cutting out the processed food and sugar and getting my carbs from starchy vegetables has had such a positive impact on my workouts and how I feel in general. Hope the same for you happens with whatever you find that works for you.

I love that you’re doing what is right for you! I feel myself leaning too hard on stevia. I know it, I know it’s expensive. I know I need to back off, but now, hearing you, I know I really need to do it. I don’t do sugar, but I do love my hot sauce! I love kabocha and I love apples. That is all I eat that’s sweet. Are we starting now? I don’t know if I’m ready!!!

Hi lady!!!! I’m not sure if I’m ready either, but I had to stop making excuses. You eat so well though. I was getting a little out of control. Kabocha and apples are well stocked over here!

Baby steps to finding what works right for you – eventually you may make up your own program which is what I do based on my years at this & reading others & just doing what feels right for me – I eagerly await reading more! :)

Ali says:

Too weird… I just started reading It Starts with Food and was thinking of you and your injury and whether it would be helpful. Turns out you were on it! Gah! The universe works in mysterious ways sometimes. I don’t have a problem limiting sugar so much as I do bread in general (though I know that a lot of bread contains some sugar etc.). I would like to get over my carb fixation so I will be very happy to see how this goes for me.

Good luck to you as well! I look forward to hearing about your journey. :)

Seriously Ali? That is too funny! Are you doing the Whole 30 too?

• Ali says:

Yes, I am planning to start it on the weekend. I want to get a lot of meal planning in so that my week is a total no brainer in terms of what to eat. If I try to start now, I know it will be tough. Plus, they’ve ordered sushi for our special work lunch tomorrow so I felt like it would be tough to sit there and watch everyone eat it. I am totally looking forward to it though and will let you know how it goes. I’m hoping that it’s going to make my running and overall fitness that much better. Of course, I will also be checking in with you to see how you’re doing. I’m expecting great things for both of us! :)

Emily says:

The new season of The Bachelorette has got me watching for the first time ever, and the girl is the one who was the third runner up for the last season of The Bachelor, I think.
    It’s pretty adorable and she breaks all the rules by handing some roses out before the ceremony and even sending one guy home before the ceremony because, well, he was SUPER SKEEZY!!

In food related news, I’m doing the Summer Shred that Bobbi put together over a NHerShoes, and I gotta admit, it’s pretty awesome. I’ve killed refined sugar consumption almost entirely since January, but I do love me some Diet Pepsi… (I know, I’m horrible and deserve to be shunned a thousand times for this), so I’m giving up soda entirely (with the exception of sodium free sparkling water).

I gave up fast food a long time ago, and now it’s time to tackle soda. I’m totally down for it though, since Good Earth Sweet and Spicy tea is amazing and has no added sugar. If nobody’s told you about it, you seriously need to try it now.

Good luck with your detox! You totally deserve all of the good feelings that will come from this!

Ha. Thanks for the Bachelorette info! Awesome about the Summer Shred. :) You go girl. And…. I have a thing for Coke Zero. Got to kick that too!

Dawn says:

Kristin, this is so funny. I hadn’t read your blog in a week or two, and I decided randomly to start the Whole30 yesterday as well! I was thinking that I probably shouldn’t visit your blog for the next few weeks until I kicked my sugar cravings since I knew your desserts would look mega-tempting, but now I know that it’s safe since you’re doing the same thing :)

Corrina says:

Love that you are doing this! I am very curious to see where you land after the 27 days and when you start running again. I gave up my final artificial sweetener in Diet Coke at the end of last year. Now I eat something w/ it , it tastes weird to me and I don’t like it. I had to go gluten free almost a year ago and that won’t change. I’ve done parts of the detox before and try to eat a lower carb/paleo diet because I feel better that way. But I haven’t totally figured out how to reconcile it with running and specifically training. I do eat a little bit of grains but sometimes too much doesn’t agree with my tummy. Also, love cream in my coffee! I do to fully give up dairy. Hope day 2 went well!

1. [...] don’t know how they got that thing out of the store. Sneaky [...]

2. [...] I’ve had to get creative and forego my normal blueberry breakfast STUFTwich on this whole little STUFT detox thing that’s going on, I made up a quick little smoothie for the [...]

3. [...] concentrate on calling my combos out in step. Yikes. Thought about explaining myself with the STUFT Detox and the whole “I’m detoxing from sugar and artificial sugar thing so my brain and body are a [...]

4. [...] the fair had a ton of food choices that I’m sure would’ve fit in my STUFT Detox [...]

5. [...] together side dishes that can please a crowd. These have absolutely nothing to do with any sort of STUFT detox or no sugar challenge or anything. They are definitely not dairy free, but they are ridiculously [...]

6. [...] a little STUFT Detox style mocha smoothie with it too even though the Whole 30 folks say not to drink your calories. Oh [...]

7. [...] is with me? Ha ha. If you missed my last one, it’s got some deep thoughts on the whole life after STUFT Detox and such since some of you have been asking. It’s [...]

8. [...] was sent these awhile back to sample, but with the whole STUFT Detox and everything I haven’t had a Quest Bar for a very long time. Let me tell you it’s been pretty [...]

9. [...] used the 21 Day Sugar Detox program a lot when I did the STUFT detox awhile back. The author, Diane, really knows her stuff. This book has specific, easy to follow [...]

10. [...] the whole STUFT Detox and while I’m doing a modified version of the Grain Brain Challenge, I’ve been trying to stay [...]