Ropes and Snakes, Sugar is in Everything and an Explanation

Stayed up way too late last night. Dumb.

Then couldn’t fall asleep at all once I laid down. Dumb.

Thought to myself that the boys had been sleeping in really well lately so I probably could get a little extra shut eye in the morning. Dumb.

Before I could figure out how to keep my eyes open these guys were all up in my face.

With their register.

I don’t know how they got that thing out of the store. Sneaky kids.

I worked out a lot today. Taught my usual crazy Monday schedule, plus subbed a strength class and did a little 10 minute workout just to play with some fun equipment at this new gym I’m working at.

I couldn’t help myself. I wanted to try to be cool and fit in since the place is pretty fancy shmancy.

This new gym has so much fun stuff to play with. It totally makes me think of all the equipment they have on The Biggest Loser. (Which reminds me, I really don’t think my man Bob and I are besties anymore. What is up with that?)

I was drawn to this little set up.

You see those cool ropes? Not sure exactly what they’re called, but found something like them here. They call it a rope drum.

The faster you pull it, the harder it gets with more resistance.

Um yeah, it’s more like a torture device if you ask me. Ha.

Obviously I had to play a bit with it and set up a mini circuit for myself.

I did a minute of each of these moves:

kettlebell swings,

rope pulls

and decline push ups.

I went through 3 times with a 20 second rest in between each move.

A little over 10 minutes and I was worked.

Random tip: Seriously, if you’re short on time, pick a few dynamic moves that get your heart rate up and get your whole body involved. Do a move for a minute and then move to the next one. It gets the job done fast.

For some reason my coaches were not impressed with my performance though.

Hmmm…..

Totally random, but I was sweating like a mother today. Is  that the whole food change/detox thing? It was weird. I feel good, but I was dripping during spin today. A little embarrassing. Oops.

So, I hate snakes.

HATE them.

If you follow me on instagram you saw that this went down this afternoon in our backyard.

Lovely. STUFT Daddy found a snake somewhere down by the birds and decided to entertain the boys for a bit with it.

That is just not okay.

Yuck.

You know what else is just not okay? I’m finding out there’s freaking sugar in everything. I didn’t realize that it’s in almost all sauces and such. I guess I didn’t quite do all my research about my STUFT detox. I have a lot more to learn and I better do it fast.

Luckily I id a quick Google search and found Cholula made the cut.

Hmm… Horse Tooth Hot Sauce? I might have to check that out.

Too bad twitter informed me that my favorite unsweetened almond milk did not.

image

Lame.

Time to hit up the grocery store for some approved items.

I did a little experimenting today on my own.

Sweet roasted kabocha squash without the sweetener packets is starting to grown on me. I used everything else, the coconut oil spray, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice and my favorite cocoa powder. Roasted it up just like the original recipe and it was good.

That big mess of a thing there is a no grain protein maple cake with 1/3 of a very ripe mushed up banana in place of any artificial sweetener in the recipe.

Not too bad.

A little portion of a VERY ripe banana (frozen or fresh) can go a long way to help sweeten stuff up a bit.

(That is just not a good picture. It looks like a little banana turd.)

Oh, and just to clear things up. My MAIN goal with this whole 27-Day STUFT Detox is to get over my serious issue with artificial sweeteners that has led to overconsumption of other sugary, processed foods, etc. which I am convinced has been slowly down and hurting the healing process of my injury. Um, I was consuming at least 7 packets of sweetener a day in addition to sugar free Torani syrup, sugar free maple syrup, protein bars and powders with artificial sugar and goodness knows what else. Not okay at all. It was out of control.

And…. all the science behind healing and inflammation that I’ve read about so far in It Starts With Food  convinced me that I just have to try it to find out for myself. No more excuses.

I have no plans on limiting my calories or carbs. In fact, I think eating a kabocha squash a day in addition to other starchy fruits and veggies pretty much takes care of that little issue.

It was brought to my attention though that I need to try dates as natural sweeteners. I have never had a date before. Crazy. They’re not allowed on the 21-Day Sugar Detox, but they are allowed on the Whole 30 and depending on how things go, I may need to be modifying a bit because of my activity level. I’m sure I’ll be getting my hands on some dates shortly.

For now, I’m happy sticking to this for dessert.

What is that you ask?

It’s a 1/2 ripe banana mixed with dark chocolate cocoa powder and coconut oil then frozen between wax paper. (Here are some old three ingredient fudge and other chocolate fudge pie recipes that will be revisited and recreated to become detox compliant.

And, yes, everything is better topped with Peanut Free NuttZo.

I’m off to bed.

Night y’all.

Have you tried ropes like that at the gym?

Feel free to list any good 21-Day Sugar Detox and/or Whole 30 sauce or condiment suggestions here (preferably spicy ones). I need some to add to my list.

Comments

Catherine says:

Whole Foods has unsweetened plain almond milk that does not have aritificial sweeteners or carrageenan. It’s their 365 brand. Good luck!!

Sara Grambusch says:

I want to come pull the ropes!! We found a snake recently too…a rattlesnake.

For Almond Milk, Catherine is right . . . Whole Food’s brand is good. Also, Silk’s unsweetened almond milk should work, too.

For hot sauce, I use Cholula, Tabasco, and Valentina (Extra Hot). :)

Holly says:

I was so excited to tell you about Whole Food’s brand of unsweetened almond milk that would work, but it looks like two people have already beat me to it!

Snakes = gross, but that rope deal looks pretty sweet :)

Good for you cutting out sugar and artificial sweeteners! It is SO hard, but so worth it. I’ve been doing cycles where I cut it out for a week every month or so, and my cravings in between are much less. But I like having it as an option and not saying I’ll never have it, so that’s worked well for me. You’re so right- it will definitely help your injury as well, and less overall inflammation. Good luck!

Jennifer G says:

Are you cutting out Stevia & Monk Fruit sweeteners, too?

Samantha says:

Morning! Dates really are impressive. Blend them with Cashews (I know you are off PB right now) or a nut butter and they are basically the base of a larabar. I will through cocoa powder, dried unsweetened coconut in and whatever else seems to work just fine.

I was thinking of you last night. When I make your Zucchini muffins I totally cut the sugar, no biggie. My guess is you will get there. I don’t know if it is true or not but aren’t artificial sweeteners “sweeter”? Maybe once you are more off of them you will find you can do desserts, treats, but with less sugar. Hum. Did that make sense?

Oh…and black coffee. Let me know how that goes. I LOVE black coffee and can’t stand it with all the other stuff added. But I don’t know if people can can shut that taste off or not. :) I have such a black coffee love affair that I had to switch to tea. Not that I think coffee is bad for you, but in the quantities I was drinking, possibly not. Sigh. I was so productive too…

I definitely think I’ll get there Samantha. It’s already getting easier. No sugar at all in the zucchini muffins? That’s impressive.

• Samantha says:

Well no…even that would be too sugar free for me. OK, I am looking at the recipe right now and I can’t remember my modifications, but I know I cut the agave entirely and I might cut/reduce the brown sugar entire as well. I do pumpkin rather than applesauce usually. I will have to pay attention next time I make them. I definitely taste the batter too.

Janet says:

Girl, you are doing AWESOME!! Keep it up!! I’ve heard this will be the toughest part- staying in for the first week or so- but hang in there!
    THANKS again for the Quest Bars- I love, love toasting them before eating them, too!!!
    Cheering and praying for you, friend!!! <3

Organic Harvest Foods- Chipotle Habanero Pepper Sauce is really good! Whole Foods sells it and there’s no sugar… just the peppers, apple cider vinegar and salt. Dates in the food processor with nuts and coco powder and coconut is really good! Kind of like Lara Bars :)

That little ladder/rope thing looks like so much “fun”!!! I wonder If I could make a ladder like that?
    So, this will probably gross you out completely but I like snakes – I tried to convince my boys that we should have one for a pet. And, I’ve killed a rattlesnake before.

Maureen says:

Love your purple tank! Saw you on the Altra Running facebook page today :)

Kristen says:

I’m with you on the whole no snake thing along with having a husband and twin boys that really like them.
    Before I was married, I told my DH we could have any pets except snakes. Yuck.

Can you comment some time on why you have chosen this diet instead of a less processed diet — for example a diet more like what Michael Pollan espouses, “eat food, mostly plants, not too much”?

Dawn says:

Silk Almond Milk (plain, unsweetened) has no carageenans in it. Also, I really like Tessemae’s BBQ sauce, which I found at Whole Foods. It’s Whole30 compliant!

Sherry says:

I don’t think Pure Silk unsweetened almond milk has any carrageenan in it and I know definitely that it doesn’t have artificial sweeteners or sugar in it. My family and I do not eat any sugar (refined/processed). I do use dates and frozen bananas to sweeten things up. I also use Organic Grade B maple syrup — not sure if that’s allowed on your food plan (Whole30 or other). We’ve been trying to stay aware from the artificial sweeteners, too. We’ve been doing pretty good with that. We find a ton of hot sauces w/o sugar in it — El Yucatan is one I can think of off the top of my head. We have a ghost pepper sauce to we get a Earth Fare that doesn’t have sweetener. There are a lot out there. We also use coconut palm sugar and xylitol for a sweetener in case you’re interested and are allowed in you meal plan.

Stephanie says:

I was just making date bars today and thought about you! That are veeeery good sweeteners! They’re very easy to use; they’re pretty much the main ingredient on any Lara bar that you find

Dates are my favorite natural sweetener! Stuff them with your nuttzonut be careful it might be just as addicting as kabotcha!

What a cool gym!!!!! I want to try that rope thing!!!

I am a label reader big time so I am aware of all the sugar & other stuff in foods & condiments & all that – I wander as I look at Instagram if others read labels.. ;) I am not angel for sure. I am not on a detox & I try my best BUT I know I should have less but for now.. well, I do my best! ;) It is a good reminder to us all though! :) I use stevia a lot.

Can you convince Nuttzo to do another giveaway! I can’t afford that stuff & I love it! ;)

Doing a Whole30 really opens your eyes to how much junk is in food! What a relief about the hot sauce! What would you have done if it wasn’t allowed? Lol. Seriously? :)

As for the almond milk, homemade almond milk is so simple! Just blend some whole almonds with water i food processor/strong blender. At sea salt, vanilla, dates, etc. for flavoring if you want (it’s also great without). And then strain into some cheesecloth. Or paper towel layers if that’s all you have ;)

I just typed in Paleo condiments and this popped up: http://paleodietlifestyle.com/homemade-paleo-condiments/#s6 Homemade bbq sauce would be awesome paleofied with some grilled chicken or pork!

holly says:

Good luck. Lara bars are yummy. Just dates and 1-2 other ingredients in them. Probably can make your own once the detox is over.

Corrina says:

I love dates! I buy them at Costco :) I just tried a dried fig for the first time and they are really good–think Fig Newton filling but super intense. I want to find a recipe to make a bar, maybe with almond flour–after the 21 days :) the recipe in 21DSD for the chocolate almond butter cups is pretty good. Not super sweet, but gives you a hit of chocolate. The balanced bites recipe for tart applesauce is really easy and delicious too.

1. [...] I think it’s the kabocha. Seriously. Once I started consuming more of it again (like the past few weeks) my stomach has been [...]

2. [...] car switching, teaching part of my spin class and then a new class called “cycle and turf” at the new fancy gym, I finally got to do a little “running” in honor of National Run [...]

3. [...] I hate snakes. Remember when we found those two snakes at our house? Not [...]