Who Made These Rules? Fair and Food

Good morning!

We took an impromptu trip to the San Diego County Fair last night.

Someone (I still haven’t figured out who) told the boys that we would go to the fair this year. They’ve been asking to go every single day and see the animals and ride the merry-go-round.

If you tell the boys you’re going to do something, you better do it. It’s the rules.

So, we went.

Andrew’s plan was a quick trip to look at the animals, a couple rides and get cotton candy.

We got side tracked right away and spent $1 each to see Hercules.

IMG_3508IMG_3509IMG_3511

Now that is a big horse butt. You’re welcome.

We also got side tracked to “say cheese”

then were right on track with our plan.

The “merry-go-round” first

IMG_3524IMG_3526IMG_3528

followed by a couple more overpriced, very “safe” rides that didn’t scare me at all.

IMG_3530IMG_3532IMG_3536IMG_3535

One of Andrew’s fair rules is that you have to get cotton candy. I don’t know about you, but I’ve never heard that rule before. Maybe I’m just not that cool.

In case you’re wondering, no, I did not have any cotton candy and yes, I did really want to win one of these.

I guess another another one of Andrew’s rules is to get some cool light sticks on the way out.

Although the fair had a ton of food choices that I’m sure would’ve fit in my STUFT Detox plan,

our only edible purchase was the cotton candy.

We went out for pizza afterwards at Leucadia Pizzeria and I had a grilled shrimp salad.

Totally brought my own Tapatio hot sauce into the restaurant. I’m sure they loved me.

Yeah, so I really should’ve read all the fine print in It Starts With Food before going head first into the Whole 30 plan.

You’re not supposed to recreate dessert type things (like sweet potato ice cream).

Oops.

And all that nonstick spray I use all the time to roast veggies and such?

Not allowed.

Oops.

Thank goodness I have this nonstick aluminum foil. It works like a charm.

Expensive, but worth it.

Now I just need an easy way to spray or get real coconut oil and/or olive oil on whatever I happen to be roasting.

Any ideas? A brush? A mister that I fill myself? Hmm…..

Speaking of roasting, I just ate this combo again as my first course for breakfast.

That bacon is growing on me.

And currently I have this roasting in the oven that I’m about to go after in a bit.

Spaghetti squash and an apple with cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves and dark cocoa powder.

I’m planning on topping it with almond butter and coconut oil and eating it like nobody’s business.

Ha ha.

Okay, I better get a move on.

Busy day and my second prolotherapy appointment. I’m going to ask about starting up running again next week. I’m so anxious to see what the doctor says. Fingers crossed for good news.

Have a good one!

Do you have a county fair where you live? If so, what’s your favorite part?

Any ideas hot to easily get oil on vegetables before roasting? Brush, spray bottle, etc.?

Comments

Ren says:

Roast on parchment paper or silicon, nothing sticks! You won’t even need oil if you don’t want.

Erica says:

SO fun!!! The boys are adorable. I love the say cheese picture. I think TJs is selling spray-able coconut oil now. I think its a little pricey though. Reynold’s nonstick rocks. I always have some on hand. Fingers crossed for your appointment!!

Amy B says:

I have coconut oil spray that I purchased from TJs? Is that allowed.

purelytwins says:

we use coconut oil to coat our veggies, we have a little bowl that we keep full of it and melt it so it’s liquid and then drizzle with a spoon over the veggies 🙂

Oh my heck, seriously them boys… so cute. I’m a fan of Andrew’s rules.
    We did the fair a few years ago. The Mr had to man up and go on the zipper (?) ride with the boy. It was not pleasant. We left shortly after. Have not been back since.

I just watched a whole show on Chicken Charlie and the stuff the fried stuff they come up with. Yeah, pass.

Mister for sure. Or brush. I tend to lick the coconut oil off the utensils, so I would say brush. 🙂

Praying for good news!!!

Trader joes has coconut oil spray. Or i often toss veggies in ziplock with coconut oil, or just rub em down with my hands like putting sunscreen on my kids;) Whatever works. And we are fair junkies. Love country fairs. They always happen in the fall up in the New England and the best part is the warm apple crisp made by the local church ladies. Yum!!

I also use the Trader Joe’s Coconut Oil Spray. I bought those misto spray bottles you fill up w/ olive oil at Costco, but ended up returning them. They leaked and did’t spray very good.

Jane Pace says:

Hi Kristen,
    Most people do not know that the SD fair lets you bring any food into the fair. You cannot bring drinks that have been opened because they don’t want alcohol going in. But being a Mom with 4 kids, we have learned how to do the fair on the cheap. I haven’t checked this year, but there used to be a “frugal fair goer” spot on their website with recommendations on how to save. Unlike so many venues, they allow outside food and drinks to be eaten inside the park. We only let our girls go for rides on a wristband day, as teenagers, it would cost a fortune otherwise. I always get the roasted artichoke as my meal when we go and it is delicious. I always want a funnel cake, but just walk quickly past that booth! In the past they have always had a computer deal where you go to and take a super quick survey and you can print out a pass for a future visit. Our girls would just do the survey for everyone in our family and then you only pay $1.00 to get in the next time.

There are so many ways to save and since we have a big family we do our research. Did you know you can bring tons of food into the Padres games too! You just cannot have an apple or orange etc, that is not cut up and could be thrown at the field. But you can bring in sandwiches, even a small cooler that will fit under you seat and also small beverages that have not been opened….so juice boxes for the kids and even small bottled water!

I have learned that not all places are the same, the Ice capades won’t let you bring anything in and make you throw it away at the door…bummer. It’s just good for parents to know to check the website and find out what you are allowed to bring.

Oh Jane- so much fun information in this comment. 🙂 I was looking at that roasted artichoke. 🙂 And… we’ve totally brought food into a Padre game before and Andrew keeps saying he wants to go to one. Funny.

Jane Pace says:

PS you really should watch the pig races……so much fun for the kids!

Looks like so much fun! I haven’t been to the county fair in so long! Ours are in fall. I need to make a point to go this year. As for the spray, did it say why not to use it? Just curious. Good luck at your appointment!

sasy says:

Crate & Barrel have a little handy tool called an oil mister. Check it out!

We haven’t been to the fair in a long time – and it’s been years since I’ve had cotton candy – I wonder if I still like it?

Trader Joe’s has their own brand of coconut oil cooking spray (I think it may contain soy though, but I’m not sure). Also, there is this Misto gourmet oil spray container where you put in your own oil… Which I totally want! http://www.amazon.com/Misto-Brushed-Aluminum-Olive-Sprayer/dp/B00004SPZV/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371165945&sr=8-1&keywords=oil+spray What I really want to try out with baking though is this stuff: http://www.amazon.com/Kelapo-Virgin-Coconut-Cooking-5-Ounce/dp/B007OTDHDM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1371166189&sr=8-2&keywords=coconut+oil+spray

Tracy says:

They look like 2 happy boys 🙂

I had to chuckle…Now that is a big horse butt…haha!!

I use an olive oil mister. Works great!

Renee says:

I’m a zip lock fan when it comes to prepping veggies for roasting. I put the oil in the bag first. Then I press all of the air out and zip it locked. You can smooth the oil out like a pancake so it covers the entire inside of the bag. Then add the veggies, zip (allowing air to stay inside) and shake! This is the best way that I have found to equally cover all the veggies. I follow the same steps when using coconut oil. The only difference is I heat the veggies and oil in the microwave (before using the zip lock) just to make them warm. If I add warm coconut oil to cold veggies it takes on the solid form. No bueno 🙁 Live and learn!

Thanks so much for the description Renee. I would’ve never thought to do the oil first. I’m so going to try this. If I do can I quote this on the blog?

Pam says:

Fried Klondike!? wow wow. who thinks of this stuff?

What?! Non-stick aluminum foil! OMG where has this been all my life? That’s the most genius thing ever! Must. Get. Some. ASAP. (Is it weird I’m this crazy excited about non-stick aluminum foil?) 😉

1. […] this post without seeing some sort of squash picture though. That spaghetti squash and apple I was roasting up this morning turned into […]

2. […] On the way home we hit up Leucadia Pizzeria. I had the grilled shrimp salad (same thing I had the last time) […]