Coconut Mush and The 27 STUFT Detox Days Are Over- What Now?

Workout:

Taught 5 pretty intense classes throughout the day. All different ones. HIIT, spin, step, strength.

If I had to pick a favorite for the day it was probably spin because I wasn’t freakishly tired yet.

There were people there I swear. If I had to pick a favorite song it was Clarity- Zedd which is on this spin list that tells you exactly what I do on the bike for that set. It hasn’t gotten old yet and I’ve used it a good 10 times or so.

My later classes, well I just feel sorry for them. Who knows what I said or did or what combos or circuits I put together. It was a blur. All I know is we did a butt load of plank jacks. Ha ha.

I totally met fun reader Julie though at the Y. Love meeting people face to face. Thanks Julie for saying hi and for not walking out of my class. He he.

Some random eats from the day. Not all of them because there’s just too many, but here’s a few of the good (or not so good) ones.

Egg whites, turkey sausage and cabbage.

The clean up wasn’t very fun.

I won’t name any names or anything, but this nonstick pan may have had an experience in the dishwasher a little while ago. It just hasn’t been the same since.

Just a general warning too- cabbage is not the best meal to start your day when you have a full day of teaching classes. Oops.

There were a couple courses to lunch, but the first one was a simple chicken salad with pomegranate balsamic vinegar and Scotty B’s sweet habanero sauce as dressing.

The boys had SunButter sandwiches on this bread, string cheese, avocado and blueberries.

I also had a chilled baked sweet potato with cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice topped with coconut oil and Peanut Free NuttZo along with a STUFT Detox Mocha.

Talk about a perfect combination.

Dinner was the whole Meatza and Zucchini pizza combo yet again.

Mmmm hmmm….

And well, I just ate this.

Some coconut mush with fresh blueberries. It was surprisingly delicious. I did measure exactly as I just threw it together in about a minute, but it went a little something like this.

Coconut Mush

2 tablespoons coconut flour (14 grams)

5 grams shredded coconut

splash of vanilla

cinnamon and nutmeg to taste

1-2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce (I like Trader Joe’s)

enough unsweetened vanilla almond milk to get desired consistency

It was like a fun cold cereal. I will definitely be having that again very soon.

Anyhoo…

So my 27-day STUFT Detox is officially over. But, I’m not ready to go back to my old ways. I don’t think I’ll ever be ready actually.

Here’s the thing. I succeeded in my main detox goal of why I did it. I was consuming way too much artificial sugar. Pretty much in everything. Not just that either. I would have days when I would eat an entire bag of granola or 1/2 bag of cereal and then crave processed foods like crazy for at least a couple of days afterwards. That would be in addition to my 10 or so packs of artificial sweetener throughout the day. It did not make me feel good. It made me feel gross actually. Darn artificial sugar and processed food. I blame my overconsumption of them for making me feel tired, irritable, puffy, lethargic, not getting quality sleep, etc. The list goes on and on.

I didn’t eat like that all the time, it started out rarely consuming packaged goodies, but man I swear it’s a slippery slope. I started by just having a little bit here and there and pretty soon I was eating massive amounts of chocolate, cereal, protein powder and PB2. It wasn’t pretty. It got uglier when the whole injury thing happened because I felt lost and didn’t know how to deal with everything.

The first two weeks of this darn challenge were hard. Seriously, I’m not kidding, I felt physically ill. No fake sugar, no real sugar, nothing. My body was in SHOCK big time.

Over the past few weeks my tastes have finally changed though and I’m not craving junk. Finally. I’m actually not craving high sugar foods for the first time in years.

I have those days when I’m stressed out and tired and can’t get enough carbs, but I’ve been eating healthy forms of them (bananas, squash, berries, apples, etc.) and making sure to eat quality protein and fats with them instead of protein powders with all this other added stuff.

Oh, random, but I have to tell you I had some pretty crazy dreams that people were pouring Splenda all over my food and not telling me to try to sabotage me. Weird.

Anyway, I’m not planning on sticking to strict Whole 30 guidelines from It Starts With Food forever. It’s a tad too much for me. But, it was a really good kick start to get me on the right path. It was time to start fueling my body the right way. And really, I finally feel pretty darn good.

I’m not entirely sure what my exact plan of action is from here. I’m definitely not going to be adding artificial sugar back in anytime soon. I do really miss my perfect summer mocha, but not sure if it’s worth it just yet. (I may have to have the occasional Quest Bar though as their bars in the natural line use stevia and lo han guo as sweetener and a little of that here and there I don’t really think will be too much of a big deal.) I did finally have some gum the other day and it was glorious. (Yeah, you can’t even have sugar free gum during the Whole 30. Poor people who got close to me over the past few weeks. Ha.)

I AM going to start incorporating real forms of sugar into my diet. Not a lot. I still want to limit my amount as I’m not someone who is good with moderation, especially when it comes to the sweet stuff. But a ripe banana, some dates, pure maple syrup, molasses, etc. can go a long way. I’m planning on experimenting with those quite a bit.

I’m also planning on having some of my favorite wine. Man I’ve missed it.

This month is all about figuring out how to make some of these positive changes from this experience be LIFE TIME changes. Healthy habits that will stick. Changes that I can share with the whole family so we can all start to eat more of a less processed, whole food type diet.

So, I’m going to keep eating the way I have been on the STUFT Detox for a bit longer and slowly start incorporating some things back in.

I think once I get back to my running mileage I’ll have to add some grains back in the mix. It’s been easy to not have them lately as I haven’t been running my usual 50 miles a week, but hopefully in the next month or so I’ll be able to build my mileage back up. We shall see.

Hmmm….

Enough chat about that?

Yes. But don’t get me wrong, if there’s something I really want to have, I’m not going to deprive myself of it. Life is too short. Indulging here and there and giving yourself a break once in awhile and not feeling guilty about it is important.

It’s all about balance.

Here’s a cool little PDF chart actually from the Whole 9 website to help you through deciding when to indulge or not. It might be helpful, so here you go. You can download it here.

image

[source]

Let me just say, if you’re thinking you want to give up sugar (real or artificial), my advice is just DO IT. Throw away the packaged goods and be kind to your body. I talked about it for way too long before finally doing something about it. I spent way too much time not feeling good because of poor choices I made. I’m not saying I don’t still have a long way to go, but man, if I can go 27 days without sugar ANYONE can.

ANYONE.

Seriously. I am the dessert queen. Don’t wait. It’s a new month, so it’s the perfect time to start. Plus I’m sticking with it for a bit longer so we can all be in it together. How fun, right?

I’m really hoping the changes that I’ve made will help with healing and recovery too. I’m feeling better, but now I also really need to work on the whole resting and getting sleep part of it.

Less stress. More sleep. More time.

Baby steps.

So…… with that, I’m off to bed. Dang that was a lot of rambling. Hope I answered most of the questions you had though. I’m not an expert. Far from it, but I feel like I’ve learned a lot the past 29 days and plan to keep learning and taking positive steps to treating my body the best that I can.

This month I’m focusing on prioritizing, rest, healing and putting family and the Man above first.

Deep breath.

(View from when I left the gym tonight. Gorgeous right?)

Okay.

I really did way too much rambling.

Your turn. Say something at least. Anything.

Otherwise I’ll just feel like I’m at home when no one will show me any kind of a sign they’re listening. That happens more often than I’d like to admit around here. Ha.

*One more day to enter the Mizuno Wave Sayonara Giveaway.

Comments

Tess says:

First off…..CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! Finishing the STUFTDETOX with a BANG!!! I’ve taken baby steps in reducing my sugar intake because of your quest. It really helped for you to comment on how you were dealing with it throughout the detox period. Thanks for the inspiration and motivation. I honestly do feel better. Have a fun 4th!

Lexa says:

Great Job on making it through. I need to stop drinking diet soda. I am hoping to get pregnant later this year so I need to start soon. I need a good substitute though and I haven’t found the “perfect” one yet. After my birthday (next Tuesday) I will start to make the change.

That was a hard one for me. I used to have a Coke Zero every single day. I finally don’t miss it. Good luck with pregnancy trying. Keep me updated Lexa!!!

Jennifer says:

You should try replacing diet soda with kombucha (it’s a fermented tea) ….I started buying an occasional kombucha at the store and realized that I can brew it myself for dirt cheap and it’s delicious! If you don’t know the health benefits of incorporating fermented foods into your diet, you should check it out.

I loved diet coke……it just realized all the crap in it and I haven’t touched a D.C. with a ten-foot poll since. Best wishes!

Joy says:

Good for you for making it through your sugar detox! That is no small feat and I’m so glad you’re feeling so good.

I have been eating healthier and healthier for the past year and half or so and I mostly unconsciously cut out 95% of the cheese I was eating from my diet. Cheese used to be my favorite food and it became so bad that I thought any food didn’t taste good unless it had cheese on it. So I slowly started cutting it out and then without me really realizing it, I saw that I was making 95% of my meals without cheese and they tasted great because they were whole foods! And the bonus from eating healthy, whole foods is that I want sugary things less now because when I eat sugary stuff, my body feels terrible. So in order to feel good (especially good enough to run well) I don’t eat a lot of sugary items. I do have one or two pieces of dark chocolate a day, but that’s just for good health. :)

Congrats on your detox. It was really inspirational to follow. We have stopped buying diet soda and flavored water drops in an effort to consume less fake stuff, which is huge in my household. I can’t wait to read about you getting back into running!

I’m really glad that you found the detox to be so beneficial….Lately I’ve really been considering giving up sugar (“desserts” are my biggest struggle when it comes to eating as well as I’d like) and maybe even breads – eat whole grains like quinoa, brown rice, millet, farro, wheatberries, etc., but skip out on the bread, tortillas, etc. for a while….
    To be honest – I’m scared to commit to it!! Is that ridiculous?? Did you feel like that before doing this detox? Any advice on how to get over that and just go for it?

Sherry says:

Congrats on completing the detox! It’s real hard to stay away from all the fake and refined sugars out there. You really have to read labels!! Not just look at the numbers on the NI chart, but the INGREDIENTS — that’s where it’s all at. The protein powders, flavored yogurts, some of the Qwest bars (some have refined sugars), etc — all bad sugars/sweeteners. I keep a ton of over ripe bananas in my freezer and use them as my sweetener in a ton of things. Dates are great, too.

Thanks for the update…..I tried and I am definitely better about less sugar but dang when I have been out to dinner lately a “Summer Shandy” just called my name and I caved.

Still doing OK though no totally sugar binge or freak out as I call it. ;-)

Kim Perry says:

I’m glad you completed the detox! It must have been challenging! Especially the whole SWYPO thing!

Megan D says:

Great job!! This is so inspirational. Seriously. Sometimes I fell like we are tricked into thinking we are eating ‘health’ food because something is marketed as healthy. And all these people saying they eat ‘clean’ but really protein powders, bars and a butt load of stevia isn’t health food. And I am totally GUILTY of thinking like that. I eat artificial sweetener to cut calories and what not. But I CRAAAAVE the sweet stuff like no other. I totally see the correlation and now after reading/watching you do your detox it only proves that I really need to do something like this for myself. But I am afraid too. Afraid I will fail and then eat the whole bag of granola in a binge fest. Or that my hubby will not be down with dinners without carbs or dairy, etc. Oh boy. Your definitely inspire me, now can you send me some of your motivation?? ;)

Morgan says:

Yay for finishing a goal! And yay for moderation. I think that’s the key to almost everything in life- moderation & small changes. Both are hard but they get you to your goals & more importantly help you find what works for you!! Have a beautiful day :)

kalli says:

this is such a great post and i love your “ramblings”! i am so proud of you for getting off of all that fake sugar. i do believe it is so much worse than the real stuff. i like that you are adding in things and using bananas, dates etc….to fill in the sweet gaps. i have definitely been eating a lot more “crap” lately but as you said we must enjoy life sometimes. thank you for all of your honesty girl! it is refreshing.

Samantha says:

Good morning and thanks for your write-up. I don’t have the artificial sugar vice, but that is not to say I am sugar-free by any stretch! I love that you did what you wanted that was healthy for you. I totally laughed at that decision making chart….if only food cravings were that rational. :)

Let’s see. Laughed at your post as always. Fun way to start the morning. We are in a a bit of a heat wave in the Seattle area which we are always ill-equipped for, but I do love warmth and sunshine. School work, not so much.

Have a great day!

Bridget says:

I AM PROUD OF YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just ate a glorious slice of whole wheat toast, first in 30 days, it was a delight!

Nicole says:

So inspiring……here’s where I struggle (and maybe you can help me?): I eat a lot of meals with my boyfriend. We both tried to give up chocolate for Lent. He lasted 9 days. I stayed “on the wagon” through Lent. I have wanted to give up sweets for a month as a way to break my sugar habit, but then I feel as though it will be tough for us to enjoy meals together. How did you and Stuft Daddy do it? Did he eat his own meals frequently? Or eat treats on his own?

Anyway – really hope this is a great month for you as you get back in to running!

Catherine says:

Congratulations! You are a true inspiration.

Angie says:

I am definitely going to look into the whole detox thing. I eat pretty healthy probably about 80% of the time but I want to make sure I set a good example for my child and not eat junk! There needs to be a balance so we can still enjoy life but I do notice more cravings once I start eating junk.

Melissa says:

Awesome job on the detox! How did your body respond? We’re you less bloated? Did you lose weight? How were your bowel movements? (Sorry…gross I know, but curious:) looking forward to hearing about it!

Tara says:

Ummm…I have nothing profound, really. Just saying something so you don’t feel alone. :)

Great job on the sweetener cutback. I want to. I need to. I’m just. not. ready yet.

I love this post – a lesson in learning about yourself! I have to say that I am one NOT to give up everything for a 30 day thing, even with all the detox sugar challenges out there. I do my best, I know I can do better but at 55, I am going to just work thru things & do what is best for me on my own schedule.. :)

I think it is great you did it though. I see lots of posts AND Instagram pics of people getting carried away with cereal & granola & protein powder (I use it but within limits)… but the thing is, it will catch up with you – this old lady says! ;)

I love when people try things & then modify to meet what is best for them.. perfect! I am on the page after years of learning that life is too short to eliminate whole food groups or not enjoy here & there but being able to keep it so it works for you!

GREAT POST!

I am certain no one would ever describe anything I have to say as “profound,” but you’re not alone and wanted you to know!

I was wondering though: I wonder if you’ll even still LIKE the taste of artificial sweeteners after this detox. I used to drink so much diet pop, use “sugar free” syrups, etc.. and then when I was pregnant with my daughter I gave them up. Then 9 months later, I tried some and BLECH, I thought (and still think) they taste disgusting. Now a days, I just choose my indulgences, and if I really, really want a pepsi, I’ll have one (which is umm, never) Or I’ll just use regular maple syrup, or have a REAL caramel latte at Starbucks, etc etc. I can’t wait to see what your taste buds say. Wow, this turned into one big ramble. Sorry ’bout that!

lindsay says:

i don’t think giving up sugar is hard for me. Wine is a whole other topic though. LOL! REST up woman. You are hard core!

Angie says:

Love your blog you are so inspiring. Great job on the detox. Just wondering if you have ever visited 100daysofrealfood.com? I think you would like and appreciate it. Some great recipes too!

Becs in Britain says:

Hey there! I too am struggling with injury, and have gone from working out 6 days a week (and loving it!) to not being able to even walk very far for the last 6 weeks. Not gonna lie, it’s been a tough old time, but I really feel like you’ve been there with me in a funny kind of way! So it doesn’t feel like it’s just me being punished – thanks for being so open about your injury! I’m hoping to get back to the gym some time in the next few weeks, taking it steady, and listening to my body, and I hope you get back to your running just as soon as you had hoped. x

marie says:

I also had a “come to Jesus” moment with the processed crap. Once I got used to not having it, I didn’t miss it, but the adjustment was,um, challenging. Sooo…I guess my rambling is yep, I had a similar experience to you.

And I do listen! I enjoy your blog but don’t comment unless I have something constructive to add to the conversation…”oooh, someone else roasts everything under the sun” doesn’t seem to contribute much, so I don’t pipe up, but I am out here in blogland enjoying your posts. :-)

And where is Stuft Kitty lately?!?!? Is he being a diva and refusing to make appearances? ;-)

1. [...] the end of it I felt the best I’ve ever felt in my life. I wrote a post here that talks a little bit about how things were right after I finished it. I also don’t think [...]