I Might Not Be Ready For Reintroduction and a Night Unplugged

I didn’t work out yesterday at all. I planned on it, but it just didn’t happen. It was the 4th. I gave myself a little break.

I did create a little sweetener free roasted kabocha pizza type thing by trying to cut the kabocha differently.

Slicing it all thin like that was not easy.

Quite dangerous, in fact, if you ask me.

But, the result was pretty fun.

I just roasted it like I normally do.

So cute and festive though, yes? Obviously I topped it with Peanut Free NuttZo and almond butter.

And piled all my remaining slices high.

The idea might be revisited again. Not soon though. I combined this massive kabocha with way too much nut butter, a half of a Quest Bar (I’ve been wanting one for over a month now and they sent me a new flavor to try I’ve had stashed away) and my first Chobani cup since my STUFT Detox. I was in serious pain the majority of the evening afterwards. It was not good friends. Not good at all.

I learned something though. I’m definitely not ready to reintroduce dairy or my beloved Quest Bars into the diet yet. Actually, to be honest, I don’t know if I’m ready to reintroduce much of anything yet. I feel like I need some more time to really kick my sugar cravings and such and make sure I’m not going to fall back into the artificial sweetener trap.

I think I need to keep going for a few more weeks. Extend the STUFT Detox a bit after a couple of days of not really sticking with it and then follow the guidelines about the proper way to reintroduce and test different foods.

Sorry, didn’t mean to get off topic like that, just my thoughts this morning after having stomach issues the majority of the afternoon/night yesterday. Ugh.

Anyhoo….

I hope you all had a wonderful 4th. Sounds like you did by your comments in yesterday’s post. Which reminds me, don’t forget to enter the Halo Headband Giveaway here!

We had a fabulous family unplugged night the other night and since I’m dealing with working from a computer that doesn’t have any of my usual bloggy blog stuff, I feel like sharing the pictures.

Here you go:

IMG_4487.JPG (2) - CopyIMG_4498.JPG (2) - CopyIMG_4493.JPG (2) - CopyIMG_4497.JPG (2) - CopyIMG_4500.JPG (2) - CopyIMG_4501.JPG (2) - CopyIMG_4502.JPG (2) - CopyIMG_4505 - CopyIMG_4509.JPG (2) - CopyIMG_4510.JPG (2) - CopyIMG_4511.JPG (2) - CopyIMG_4513.JPG (2) - CopyIMG_4516 - CopyIMG_4514.JPG (2) - CopyIMG_4518.JPG (2) - CopyIMG_4517 - CopyIMG_4519.JPG (2)IMG_4520.JPG (2)IMG_4524IMG_4523.JPG (2)IMG_4531IMG_4538

That was our bedtime. It was fabulous. Some of us were sick, so it wasn’t the ideal night out, but we made the best of it.

And before the early bedtime, the boys got their very first pedicab ride ever. Want to ride with us?

One heck of a good ride. A little pricey, but worth it.

Okay, hopefully most of you have an extra long weekend and are enjoying another day off!

I’m going to try to go on a little run again today. Nothing too crazy, just a couple slow miles to test out my hip a bit.

Then I get to go look for a new computer. Fun times.

Have a good one!

Today is the official release date of THE AMAZING MIZUNO WAVE SAYONARA SHOE! I did not realize they had it in another color. Adding that to my list right now. He he.

Anyone have any experience with the Whole 30 and reintroduction of foods, etc.? Feel free to give me some advice.

What would your ideal “unplugged” night be like?

Any laptop recommendations?

Comments

Jennifer Mykytiuk says:

When I cut sugar out and then add it back in I am always amazed how horrible I feel the first time I eat I again! Like miserable! It makes me not want anymore again… For a while… It really makes you think about how sugar affects your body, ya know? Unfortunately I get used to it way to easily and then the detox is that much harder all over again!

I did a dairy detox for about a month and since then I have done my best to stay away from dairy. During the detox I felt amazing– I allow myself to cheat now every now and then but then I hate myself the next morning– or my stomach hates me! I had key lime pie the other night and I was in pain yesterday. Just need to stay away from it.. I did do ok though with Quest bars. I haven’t had Chobani since the detox. Happy 4th!

I think it’s super impressive that you know your body enough (and have enough self-discipline!) to know that you need to continue the detox for a while. I’ve never done as thorough a detox as you did, but I really admire it!

Natalie says:

I did the Whole30 earlier this year and that is when I realized that my body can’t handle dairy or lactose. I cut it all out and feel 10000% better. If I eat even a little bit of dairy, I feel awful.

I love all of the photos and the food looks absolutely delish!! Looks like y’all had a fabulous 4th. Good luck on the computer shopping!

Looks like you had a great 4th!! And I want your sushi! haha. I wish I had advice for you on reintroduction of foods. I know that I need to cut some stuff out of my diet but haven’t had the heart (or will?) to do it yet. good luck my friend!

Fun, fun, fun. Love it all, especially the 9:49 bedtime. And the sushi. And the video. You’re just so darn cute, you and the fam! ;)

lindsay says:

it’s hard on your body to add foods back in quickly. Even though you want to. I totally can relate. Slowly add them in and see how you feel. You got this!

I feel soo much better with out much sugar/processed foods. I really try to limit these days but the occasional treat does happen and I am ok with that. (Just as long as the treat doesn’t become a binge and so far so good)

Your food pics look so yummy! What a night!

bethp262 says:

I am still doing my Whole30. I started June 16. I can relate to how you feel–not sure I will be ready to try reintroduction because I feel so good right now!

Okay so your first few pictures are making me hungry for the kabocha squash I have stashed in my lunch box for my afternoon snack. It’s the last of my kabocha, although I’m hoping the boyfriend finds some while he is up in cincinnati working for the day. I’m sorry the squash and chobani upset your stomach :/ I have you to thank for my kabocha and quest love and would be so sad if I couldn’t eat them any more.

michelle kim says:

Ooooh, the seafood looks SO good!
    And it’s nice that you got to have a rest day from working out :)

Patti Smith says:

The first two weeks after I gave up sugar, I thought I was going to claw my eyes out. Literally. I was astounded at how much my body really thought it needed sugar. Once the cravings started curbing, I didn’t really want that sugar anymore. I do still get tempted, and I get overwhelmed easily when I think too much about all the hidden sugar we consume. I give myself some credit for giving up most of the obvious sugar and even some of the hidden and don’t worry so much about the little things. My belly tells me quickly if something I’m eating isn’t good for me anymore. Once you realize how those foods make you feel, I think it’s much easier to say no thanks.

holly says:

Laptop suggestions? I replaced my stolen Dell with a cheap HP laptop. Windows 8 is different and. On all pcs it seems. Good luck with the search. All the animals at work are on a forced sugar reduction. It’s crazy to see how sugar affects both people and animals.

An animal sugar reduction. I need more details. :) I got a laptop with Windows 8. Nervous about it. Still in the box. LOL.

• holly says:

I still don’t get windows 8. I keep using the desktop icon to make it look normal.
        The zoo animals normally eat these bright red biscuits. The company is not making them for a few months. One of the main ingrediants is sugar. So now all the critters are on a low sugar diet! Many are refusing the biscuits or eating less of them. Some of my critters are on an even stricter diet due to prediabetes. They went cold turkey- no starches, less fruit, and no red biscuits. They were cranky at first, more aggressive, and acting up. Now they are still hungry but it’s calmed down a bit.

Jill Morris says:

I have to suggest a Mac. I know they are more pricey and they take a bit of getting used to, but I swear they never die! We had a MacBook and recently upgraded to an iMac. You can usually find a really good deal on refurbished MacBooks online or at a Mac store. No viruses!

OMG I always love your family pics!!! Would you be mad at me if I said sometimes more than the food! ;)

On adding back in food stuff – I would say be careful & slow is the best way to see how the bod feels – maybe 1 type of food at a time to see what the different ones feel like after you eat them.

I always think of this like a person that does low carb & then just goes back to eating tons of carbs again & gains back all their weight or freaks out their bod – take it slowly & see if your bod handles certain types of sugar/food over others.. :)

Kabocha pizza is genius…I can just imagine all the topping possibilities. Reintroducing foods (especially sugar) after cutting it out is definitely tough, I can see why it would be smart to do it more slowly than planned. I’m glad you enjoyed the holiday with your family, your boys are adorable as usual!

Ali says:

Boo! Sorry to hear about the reintroduction fail. I have recently started introducing bread and I have found that I feel pretty darn good for the most part. I happened to really feel like having some fresh bread on the same day I had PMS symptoms so I wasn’t entirely sure the source of my feeling a lil’ bit off. Nonetheless, I think the trick with reintroduction is to eat one source at a time so that it’s easier to pinpoint the exact cause of any issues that may arise. For now, I have no desire to eat dairy or sugar, and the fresh bread I have had has been great, but once the loaf is gone I don’t feel like I am going to be deprived in any way if I can no longer have any. In other words, I won’t be going out of my way to make some or anything like that. Overall I think the greatest thing that the Whole30 did for me was to free me from my obsessive eating. In addition to feeling so much more balanced and not experiencing extreme hunger episodes from time to time, I have also found it so much easier to eat only when I am hungry and refrain when I am not. It really trains your body to be mindful of hunger cues and just overall see/treat food differently. ;)

Ali- Yes, I plan on reintroducing just one food at a time, but I’m not ready just yet. :) Still going good for you?

• Ali says:

Hmmm… tough question. I’ve been really struggling ever since I started to feel like this way of eating was making me gain weight. I mean, it’s not that I feel that way, I literally have gained weight over the course of the month and a bit I’ve been doing it. I am not sure if it’s that I used to always use cooking spray and things like that and now everything is full fat so my body isn’t used to it. It got me really depressed and so I’ve been struggling to work through it and stay the course. I really am at a crossroads though. I know I’ll figure it out, but perhaps in the long run, I will have to adapt it a bit and see what works for me. Thanks for asking. Oh, I saw on today’s post (July 25th) that you had some coconut butter. Artisiano is the best brand, hands down, no comparison. And doesn’t it make it feel like you can have your dessert guilt free. Love it.

meredith says:

I have been unplugging lately too lol. Sometimes I just need to get back to the old fashioned days of not being glued to their phone and facebook. It feels really good actually lol. I don’t have experience with the Whole 30 but as a recent vegetarian (not even 2 years) I know that my diet, as clean as it was before I went vegetarian, is so clean now that when I eat a little more chocolate/cake/dessert/heavier meals, my body goes into shock right away. Heart races, uncomfortable for hours.