Keep on Clucking

Good morning and happy Sunday!

Not sure what you were up to, but we got all wild and crazy last night.

IMG_5010.JPG (2)

Yep. That was my be time. I got too many nights not getting enough sleep and it catches up with me. At 8:30 I could barely keep my eyes open. So, to bed I went. (Those pictures in the back ground need some serious updating.)

I’m using today to kind of take thing easy, evaluate some personal goals, get things down in writing as far as goals and easing back into training, plan meals for the week, etc.

Sundays are the perfect days for that aren’t they?

Back when I started the whole STUFT Detox last month I filled out this cool self-evaluation I found on the Whole 30 website.

Here is what it looks like, but you can click here for the PDF version.

image

[source]

Some of my goals were met, most of them not quite and I still really want to work on them, so I’m rewriting some down today.

That’s the thing about life changing goals, they don’t all happen at once. It’s a slow and steady process isn’t it? I feel like I’m learning a little more every week and taking steps to getting to where I want to be and finding balance, etc. but man it does not come without a few stumbles and set backs.

Speaking of, I read this this morning from this book.

IMG_5015.JPG (2)

And this.

IMG_5014.JPG (2)

I “stumble” a lot. Like A LOT.

I hope I’m not the only one.

The official STUFT Detox is over, and I fell better than I have in a long time. I’m ready to look into things as more of a permanent, life changing way of fueling my body. Adding some more grains in, but not adding in dairy, artificial sweeteners and sugar. I really have an issue with those things, especially sugar. It really messes with my system and my head.

So for now, my Americanos will stay plain. Thank goodness I have a good friend Jess who supplies me with delicious coffee.

IMG_5020.JPG (2)

I’m also still really working on the whole sleep thing. I got this email the other day with a few tips so thought I’d share just in case you need a few more tips too. You just can’t get enough tips on sleep, right?

In summer, it’s normal to stay up later and get less sleep, as the days are longer. But in fall, winter, and spring, you should be aiming for a minimum of 8 hours of sleep a night – 9 or 9.5 is ideal! To help you accomplish this, employ these bedtime tips from Lights Out: Sleep, Sugar, and Survival.

• Go to bed earlier (especially as we’ll soon be telling you to wake near dawn).
  • Sleep as many hours as you can without getting fired or divorced.
  • Keep lights in the house low after sunset. (Think candlelight, not Yankee Stadium.)
  • Turn off all electronic devices (TV, computer, smartphones and e-readers with lit screens) at least an hour before bedtime. If your TV is in the bedroom, get it out.
  • Sleep in a perfectly dark room (think cave). Use room-darkening blinds, and unplug, remove, or tape over all electronics with a light. Yes, even your alarm clock.
  • Keep your bedroom cool – so cool, you start off a little chilly.
  • Get up as close to dawn as possible. (We told you this was coming.)

(From the Whole 30 Daily email.)

Anyhoo……

I’m also looking into my Runner’s World Challenge plan.

I’m not going to be able to get right into it, but I’m so excited to ease into some running workouts and set some goals. The plans they have also come with access to the top coaches so it’s nice to get a little extra help along the way. Their coaches and I are trying to figure out what kind of modifications to make, etc. I want to make sure I have a clear picture before I start things. Baby steps. It’s going to be a slow process.

The boys were watching Sesame Street the other day and this “Keep on Clucking” video came on. What a great message, yes? Thought it was appropriate.

Keep on clucking until your dreams come true. :)

Yep, we’re going to keep on trying until our dreams come true over here. You too? It takes more than just a couple tries and we’re learning.

Speaking of chickens though, here are our chickens. They are NOT supposed to be on the deck and supposedly something was made to try to fence them off so they wouldn’t make their way up there.

IMG_5009.JPG (2)

Hmm….. we’ll have to try again on that one too. Ha. They’re getting big though, yes?

Random, but my kabocha plants are coming along.

IMG_5013.JPG (2)

It’s taking a long time for them to grow and I kind of like that right now. We’re all in a changing and growing process too, and instead of being anxious, I need to let the process take awhile. Growing with the plants. He he.

So, that’s that.

Enjoy your day. Make it a good one.

I almost forgot. I have some very important advice from a certain Flat Kitty.

Make sure to slow down and stop and smell the roses today.

IMG_4923.JPG (2)_thumbIMG_4924.JPG (2)_thumb

Have a good one!

There’s still time to enter the Albion Fit giveaway!

Are you evaluating anything or setting any goals today?

Comments

Erica says:

Sleep is something I constantly struggle with. I think its tough when you’re a busy mama to get the zzz’s in . I need to cut back on sugar. Have a good Sunday

lindsay says:

sounds like July and august will be good months. Learning, living, resting,enjoying! <3

Christina says:

Girlfriend your honesty is amazing, and this post today speaks to my heart! I am evaluating a lot today to start my week off with a fresh start tomorrow. I am working on letting the Lord dictate my running, not the other way around….so hard! I as well have issues with sugar, and I just need to stay away…one bite does me in…not good! Anyway, have an awesome week (I love your posts!!!!) Tina

Tina- I hear you. One bite does me in too. I hope your week is off to a great start. The Lord is dictating my running too. I’m just crossing my fingers He and I have the same plan. But…….. you never know. Keep me updated!

Great post! I decided to just enjoy myself when I run, and compare myself to me and me alone. Not my speedy friends, not my blog role models, just me. I do so much better that way. The first two miles of my race today were terrible, because, ok, it was super humid and the hills were killing me, and my 2 friends were long gone, and I thought hmm maybe I should just stop now, DNF. Instead I just slowed down a bit, drank some water, and changed those negative thoughts. The rest of the race was great. Sure, I didn’t win, I was not even close, but I ran the fastest I have ever run that course and that is all that matters.

I am glad that you are figuring out your eating & what works for you!!! Now to get the balance – right! ;) That is the big one for me & getting much better at it…. more to come on that soon. :)

Sleep – ah the elusive sleep – older age does not help either & some of those suggestions easier said than done! ;) Trying though!

Hope you have a wonderful day!!!

I committed on one of your posts about a week ago to try to prioritize sleep more … I’ve been improving, for sure! I’m still WAY far away from the recommended guidelines, but I’m super happy with the mini-steps I’m taking!

I love the 2nd sleeping tip :)
    I have a hard time with sugar, too. I eat very little dairy and stick to whole grains once in a while, but the sugar thing is the hardest for me. I keep squares of organic dark chocolate (90% – I haven’t found that 100% bar yet!) to satisfy my sweet tooth when I get cravings after dinner each night. I turn to fruit, too!

kolya says:

No real goals that I can put into words right now but I thought I’d tell you that “you’re great and your posts make me smile AND think every time”

Great sleeping list. I just heard a show about this that says the same thing as well as spraying lavender on your pillow, hot bath before bed so your body cools and helps you sleep, creating a “ritual” each night so your body knows it’s time and waking up same time every day without an alarm.

Ugh…the sugar thing has gotten me too. I was really good for a long time and now not so much especially the artificial stuff.

Glad to see Flat Kitty is back and very wise (:

Koyla- this comment made ME smile. :) Nice sleeping tips to add. Oh the sugar thing……. I have a feeling if I ever go back to artificial sugar it’s going to be tough where to draw the line.

Amanda says:

That Elmo video was the best!! Love your blog so much! :)

1. [...] the end of the detox I felt THE BEST I’ve felt in a very long [...]