Check Out Those STUFT Jicama Buns

Workout:

Taught Y50X class and a group strength class.

Got my PT exercises on both at home

and later at the gym.

IMG_5237.JPG (2)IMG_5239.JPG (2)

I wonder if my PT would be impressed with my creative set ups. Ha.

I was supposed to do a short easy run yesterday, but my body and brain were tired. I’ve been subbing extra spin classes this week and I think that and lack of sleep on top of adding more running miles got to me a bit.

I was grumpy yesterday. Irritable and short tempered with the kiddos. Not good. So, I didn’t run. I taught my two classes, did my PT exercises and that was it.

I have a longer run planned for today. For once, I was smart and figured that it would be better to rest up for it. I need to remind myself daily that I’m just easing back in. I’m a little nervous, yet excited at the same time about the longer run. We’ll see how it goes.

Let’s talk food, yes?

I’ll for sure be making some different STUFT egg-rito versions this weekend. I have to try one with a little kabocha in it right? I want to go the whole cinnamon and fruit route. Oh, the options. He he.

I needed coffee yesterday afternoon in a bad way.

I didn’t have time for any, so I grabbed this Larabar really quick instead.

IMG_5236.JPG (2)

It wasn’t too shabby. I still like Cashew Cookie and Blueberry Muffin ones better though.

No pictures of dinner. You’re welcome.

But lunch, well, you’ve got to see.

I know, right?

It just kind of randomly happened. I was craving one of those Costco precooked grass fed burgers and was going to use some romaine instead of a bun. I was also planning on having a STUFT size portion of roasted jicama chips with guacamole on the side.

Then I had an idea.

If this restaurant can make a jicama burrito, then for goodness sakes, I can make a jicama bun.

Especially because I happen to have some ginormous jicamas at the moment.

IMG_5106.JPG (2)

That’s a pretty darn good price, isn’t it?

Basically I followed the exact same directions as jicama chips, only with bigger round slices of jicama.

Here you go again, just in case you haven’t made the chips yet (although I don’t know why not).

Pile it high with whatever your particular bun desires

and make it into one heck of a STUFT jicama bun burger.

Yep, there it is.

Now that’s a good looking bun.

My sister-in-law told me they make taco shells with jicama too. I’ll be adding that to my list of experiments to try. Ha ha.

Happy Friday!

What are you looking forward to this weekend?

Does anyone have a long training run to do?

Jicama thoughts- love it, hate it, eat it raw, dip it in salsa, any experiments with it?

Comments

rachael midura says:

Have you ever had the coconut cream Larabar? That is my favorite by far, so yummy!
    I have never tried Jicama but you have me intrigued. What would you liken it to as far as flavor/texture goes?
    I had next tried kombaca before reading your blog. I enjoyed it but haven’t taken to at your level:)

Oh yum! My store doesn’t even sell Jicama..so I’ve never ever had it before; I really want to try it now though..I wonder how I can get my hands on some hehe.

Lexa says:

I ended up with an egg scramble instead of the egg-rito. I guess I need to keep making it until I master it because it was so yummy! Looking forward to meeting my Mom for an overnight camping trip and I have a 9 mile run tomorrow AM. I hope the humidity breaks because it was 81 with high humidity at 6AM this morning.

morgan says:

this weekend the red salmon are running in the river so we are filling the freezer! smoked, whole, canned – it is all going down around here BUT I have jicama on my list for the store tonight! I think some hickory smoked jicama chips (just set it in the smoker next to the fish right?!!!) would be amazing with a nice icy cold home brewed glass of kombucha at the end of a long day. the best part about our Alaskan summers is the 24 hours of daylight, fish & family- we only have a few months of it & I treasure every moment :)

I still haven’t tried Jicama – better get on that!

I’m looking forward to NO SET PLANS. for the first time in I dont even know how long, there is nothing this weekend that has to be done at any certain time, no place I need to be and its a fabulous feeling!

Jicama is good, I had a really good Jicama slaw once~ which reminds me I should try and make that.

Hi – found your blog the other day looking for blogs by running mothers. Love your blog! You are a great example of all you can accomplish fitness-wise after having kids (I have one on the way so I’m looking for reassurance!).

Jicama bun? Now that is creative! Lemon wasn’t my fave Larabar either. But I do love the cherry pie & the original. Addicting. Meal replacement, too. Which reminds me, gotta get some for my LONG run on Sunday. Well, long to me. 17 long miles to be exact. or maybe it was 16.5. that 0.5 makes a HUGE difference. haha.

Maureen says:

So I tried jicama years ago and hated it because it tasted like dirt, but that was when I still got “healthy” lunches at Taco Bell. Now that I eat lots of food that tastes like dirt and I like THEM, I think I need to try jicama again. And I REALLY need to try your buns {hee hee}.

Krista K. says:

Hi there!
    I’ve followed your blog loosely over the past 6 months or so and I think you’ve really taken your injury in stride considering your awesome performances in your races this past spring. It was always encouraging for me to see an athlete stay so positive throughout the healing process. I’ve never commented, but I felt compelled to after seeing this post and a few pictures on your instagram account. I know you’re an experienced runner and your readers don’t see the entire picture that is your life, but I hope you consider what message you’re sending people when you go out and run 11 miles while posting that you ‘don’t want to push it.’ As a runner myself, easing into running again after an injury (especially one that takes months to heal) takes a lot more time than just a few test runs. I just hope you aren’t setting yourself up for injuries in the future. Like you’ve said, you took advantage of the fact that you could run when it was easy, but don’t jump so fast into it now that you’re cleared to run, that you re-injure yourself.

Oh Krista-
      I did not mean to send that message at all. The only reason I feel able to run that far is because of all the cross training that has kept me going these past few months. I’m sorry if I’m giving anyone the wrong impression.
      Thanks for comment. I just addressed your concern on my post. You’re right, not everyone sees the whole picture from IG, so I will keep that in mind and I’m off to rest now for the next coupe of days to really evaluate how I feel.

• Krista K. says:

Thank you so much for your response to my comment and I truly hope it didn’t come across as rude or ugly. I know you’re not obligated to justify or explain every choice you make to your readers, but I appreciate your willingness to address concerns! Keep doing what you’re doing and I pray that your training continues pain and injury free!

LOVE this idea and I’m totally going to have to give it a try! My fridge is basically empty at the moment, so a trip to the store is happening either way. :) Putting it on my shopping list as we speak! XOXO

You are so creative!!!!!!!!!!!! I have not had jicama – more than I can count! ;)

LOVE your outfit at the beginning of the post!! YES, be careful & don’t re-injure! :)

nick deck says:

what an awesome way to ditch the bun, wrap, etc! So many of my clients ask for a replacement to starchy buns, and this looks fun, definitely going to try it.