A Procrastination Dump- BOSU Move, Roasted Plantains and Chia Pods

Hey!

So yeah, there are few things I admit that I’m good at. But, well, this morning I’m going to toot my own horn and say I’m really great at procrastinating.

Yep. Last night I was procrastinating arranging my travel for some big upcoming races, which in turn is making me procrastinate about telling you about them. Lovely.

Why the heck does travel planning take so long by the way? It’s really not my cup of tea.

Anyhoo….

While I’m really great at procrastinating, my boys are really great at having to go “pee pee’” right when we’re all buckled in and I’m about to start the car. Seriously, they’ve got skill and this happens 90 percent of the time we’re trying to get somewhere in a hurry. You would think I’d learn a thing or two. Nope.

Workout Tuesday:

Ran 7 miles on the treadmill at around an 8 minute mile pace.

Taught a 45 minute BOSU class in a room where the air conditioner was broken. That was fun.

Best move of the day though was this one (although not the best picture).

Scissors on the BOSU.

Try them if you have access to a BOSU, probably not with a phone in your hand though.

Speaking of BOSU, I just saw this cool BOSU video from like 2006, by the guy who developed BOSU and who I got my certification through.

These people do some pretty darn cool moves. Wow.

I’ve been wearing my Polar RC3 GPS a lot more lately because I can keep track of my running both indoor and outdoor and my other classes too. So nice to be able to keep it all in one place.

And love that you can see the different zones you’ve worked in. (Oh, and you can still get 25% off if you use the code “fitfluential” until the end of the month.)

I got this little tidbit of advice from my Runner’s World Challenge email tonight.

Your Workouts for Wednesday, August 28

Workout #1:  4 MILES EASY
Type: Run
Planned Distance: 4.0 miles
Description: Low-carb diets have become popular in recent years, but for runners, they’re not the best approach. Carbs are the muscles’ primary source of fuel, and if you cut back too much, you won’t have the energy to get through workouts. That doesn’t mean you have to eat pasta by the pound. About 60 percent of your daily calories should come from carbohydrates, and ideally, most of them should come from unprocessed sources, such as apples, oranges, berries, and carrots.
(Pace: 8:15/mile)

Two things that came to mind:

I’ve totally noticed now that I’m running again my body needs more carbs.

Love their suggestions about getting carbs from unprocessed sources, but they forgot a major one called kabocha squash. Ha ha.

Speaking of carbs though, as I’ve been needing more I’ve added something new to the mix.

Plantains.

Um, yeah, plantains are my new thing. Roasted plantains to be exact.

I know, weird right since I never roast anything. Ha.

Well, they’re awesome.

Lately I’ve just been slicing them and roasting them on parchment paper with a little Himalayan sea salt. Sometimes I put a little coconut oil on them, but I usually just roast them plain because I like them more on the dry side.

I set the oven at 400 convection and put them in for a bit.

Not totally sure about the time to roast. I like them a bit crispy. I’m guessing about 15 minutes or so.

They come out like little chips.

A little sweet, not too gooey, really fun to eat.

I think they’re just perfect actually (and I bet they’d go well with roasted jicama chips). I might have to try that one tomorrow.

In case you want to know a little more information on plantains, I looked it up for you.

image

[source]

This is a pretty cool site and I just now realized you can cook them when they’re green. Who knew?

Chiquita Bananas- Plantains

The other day I had roasted plantains in this salad. Yesterday I had them for breakfast with a kale and egg white scramble complete with a little of that no grain seedy bread and Organic SunButter. (Bread recipe coming soon. I can’t share the recipe until I share race news and make it once more to make sure it wasn’t a fluke. That’s my rule.) Oh, and an unsweetened almond milk mocha too.

IMG_6841_thumb2_thumb

Look at those roasted plantain beauties.

IMG_6840_thumb2_thumb

Oh my gosh, so I have to tell you about these pods just really quickly. Obviously I love The Chia Company and their chia shots. Ever since The San Francisco Marathon, I’ve thought of myself as one of their BFFS. I’m sure the feeling is mutual. Ha.

Anyhoo….

I found them at the IDEA World expo the other weekend, but the picture got erased from my phone somehow.

They had these new Chia Pods that everyone was sampling. I had heard about them before.

Naturally, since I’m obsessed with chia and feel like we’re BFFs, I begged to get some samples sent to my house. My begging must have worked and they sent me some to try.

How awesome, right? Only chia seed, coconut milk and fruit?

Not so awesome was the fact that they need to be refrigerated and I was unaware of that, so when I got the package last week, it sat unopened for a day or so on the shelf out of toddler reach.

That was not a great idea. When I finally got my hands on the pods I realized my mistake.

Luckily, they have great customer service and promptly sent me some new ones to try.

I got them today and did NOT make the same mistake.

I went for the vanilla bean one first.

Love that there’s a little spoon in there so you can take these on the go.

Also love that there are just a few ingredients. This one had chia, coconut milk, vanilla bean and cinnamon.

The other fruit flavors (blueberry, mango, banana) are the same with just three ingredients: chia, coconut milk and then the fruit.

So awesome.

The texture is a little gooey, but if you’ve made toddler chia jam, you know how the texture of chia gets when it sits in water.

Naturally I used it on top of a ginormous roasted kabocha boat.

I can’t wait to try the other flavors. And yes, I will indeed be begging for more pods very soon.

Um, okay, really, I’ve got to get a move on, but just a few quick things.

- In case you love SPANX as much as I do, there’s a special on zulily today. You’re welcome.

- I’m pretty sure this is one of the best race photos I’ve taken. Same goes for that guy behind me.

image

[source]

- I’m also pretty sure I could really use some help with my running form. No wonder I have problems.

- And this is for Allison who left a comment about coming to the blog to see pictures of Kitty. I’m sorry that I’ve let you down as of late. Here you go, eye boogers, manboobs and all.

Have a good one!

Have you ever had plantains?

Have you seen these Chia Pods?

Do you ever buy your race photos?

Comments

kait says:

I LOVE plantains – I found this passion the past 3 weeks while trying the 21 day sugar detox. Plantain pancakes are possibly my favorite breakfast now – just blend a plantain with two eggs & some cinnamon – perfect pancakes!

I recently found dried plantains at TJ’s….they were relish! I can’t believe I never even thought to buy them and roast them myself. I will definitely be trying that.

Also, the CHiA Pods looks great…easy…Hmmm? I wonder if my girls would like them? They are picky when it comes to the texture of their food….and they did not get that trait from me! ;-)

Momma needs some plantains…. and chia pods. The Chia Co. is da bomb.

Although I’m pretty sure your post has an error:
    “Scissors by themselves are an awesome core move, but on the BOSU they are just that much better.”

Should be:
    “Scissors by themselves are an AWFUL core move, but on the BOSU they are just that much AWFUL.”

hehe. OK, I’m just being whiney because I’m feeling some from the other day. I don’t have a BOSU, but I’d really love one of those pink ones!

Have a great day!

Purelytwins says:

Scissors on the BOSU that looks like fun ;)
    yay for plantains- girl you know we love them!

Allison says:

And that picture is why I read your blog!! On cat picture days, I always send the link to my mother. As much as she loves cats, she just doesn’t get him.

Natalie says:

I need to try those Chia Pods they look delish and they are vegan!

elizabeth says:

I’m going to have to go back and read the post you wrote about your Polar watch, does it take your heart rate without a chest strap?

I finally bought a race photo, but only because it is a really good one!

I would love to try the Chia Pods! They look interesting – I don’t eat much chia now but it is something I need to incorporate more into my diet!

Michelle Kim says:

Never seen the Chia Pods, but I’m certainly intrigued! Looks really good as a gloop on top of roasted kabocha squash (or maybe sweet potatoes?).

Samantha L says:

Where do you find these chia pods?

Ali says:

I am sure this question has been asked before so I apologize. I see that you take the Chia Shots out with you. Do you mix them with anything or just shoot them straight up?

Plantains are the BOMB and thanks to Purely Twins for introducing me to them! They have shared so many creative recipes. I love my plantains on Chobani, Pancakes, Oatmeal, and basically EVERYTHING. Those chia pods look awesome. I’m going to check them out. Thanks! :)

Jill C. says:

That race photo does not even look like you AT ALL! Race photos are oh so fun, haha.

Diana says:

I love me some plantains, but then my family is Cuban, so it’s just a normal food to me! Try getting the unripe ones, slicing them thin (thin chips) then baking them. They make awesome chips! They are usually fried, but this roasted ones look yummy.

Bake them when they’re still green or a little yellow?

• Diana says:

While they are still green. This way you’ll get something a bit more like potato chips. I, sure you can do it with sweet ripe ones too though.

One of my favorite plantains recipes is tostones. You talk a green plantain, peel it (btw, peeling the green ones is a pain, but worth it,), cut it into about 2 inch chunks and fry them. Then you smash them flat, and fry again til crispy. They are so good. I wonder if that recipe would work baking them instead. I’ll have to experiment and let you know!

Yippee – I knew there was a reason that I was still up even though my alarm will be going off in about 6 hours!! I needed to see the scissors on BOSU!! Pretty sure that will be my 43 tomorrow – thanks!!!

I saw those chia pods at ExpoWest but did not try them… I keep seeing plantains all over the blogosphere so I guess I will try them eventually – I am just lazy & don’t want to cook or anything. ;)

OK, you make me want to try the BOSU scissor move since I do it on the floor but we shall see… :)

I’ve recently been obsessing over plantains too! I’m going to give them a try dry-roasted, though — yours look very good! I’ve been cooking them in a skillet with some coconut oil and then sometimes dusting them with a little bit of cinnamon after. Mmm, cocoa powder would be nice too. Just like you, I’m hooked in a very big way!
    -Emily K.

Tracy says:

On the chia front – this definitely looks like its worth checking out – especially with toddlers!

1. [...] called the move a scissor move on the BOSU - I’m not sure if I did it exactly the way she did but either way it is an incredible [...]

2. [...] and try something new. After all, there are so many possibilities. Savory squash, cake in a squash, chia pudding topped squash, squash drizzled with protein frosting, squash custard, squash brownies…the list goes on. And [...]

3. [...] cinnamon and cocoa roasted plantain with cinnamon roasted spaghetti squash topped with coconut butter and almond butter. It was [...]

4. [...] think my favorites are about done roasting in the oven so I can take them with [...]

5. [...] yeah, that was a pretty serious snack. Cinnamon roasted plantains, an apple, unsweetened dark chocolate, coconut butter and cashew butter. All the good [...]