Darn LeapFrog, Weekend Experiments, a Surprise and September Goals

Hey!

Happy September and hope you had a fabulous Labor Day Weekend!

I had every intention of getting a post up at some point over the weekend. I even got up at 5:15 Sunday morning to attempt it. But, well, this happened.

Someone saw Mommy trying to work on the computer and all of a sudden “needed” some new games to play on the LeapFrog.

And then someone else wanted to join to early morning party.

I played the good mommy card and traded in my blogging time for a little LeapFrog app time.

Let’s see. Workouts.

Friday was a rest day. It was marvelous.

Saturday I taught boot camp and went for an impromptu slow 5 mile run afterwards.

Sunday was a long 14 mile run. After our early morning together I got quite the send off.

And then on my run I had quite the view.

I also realized I never go fast on long runs. I know it’s mental and I probably can and should go faster, but unless I’m racing, when I’m going longer than 10 miles I don’t pay any attention to my pace and go super slow.

Monday I taught a 45 minute spin class and then hopped on the treadmill for 6 miles. I was really not looking forward to the 6 miles, but when I get that nightly reminder from my training plan it hold me accountable.

The treadmill was not my friend, but old episodes of Friends were.

Some random dinner experiments over the past few days. We made the Fiery Buffalo Burgers from the Practical Paleo cookbook.

They look like this in the book.

Ours went down like this- his and hers.

They were pretty good.

We also did the whole healthy chicken nachos thing, but modified a bit by cooking some chicken on the stove with this Penzeys Spices seasoning

and then going for more of a jicama nachos type thing.

Sprinkled some of that Trader Joe’s veggie mix we found the other day on there for fun and kicks too.

We had a quick little getaway to LA to what was supposed to be one of my dear friend’s engagement party.

But……..

instead it was a surprise.

How cool is that? Pretty brilliant if you ask me. I don’t know how they pulled it off, but no one knew.

It was an amazing time with some of our closest college friends. Obviously I’m not cool enough to have taken any good pictures of the beautiful bride or one with all my college roommates together to put on here. Oopsies. Oh well, if they’re smart they don’t read the blog anyway.

Here’s STUFT Daddy all dressed up nice though.

Aren’t weddings so much fun?

Working on some pretty serious September goals over here.

One of them being more on a schedule and daily routine. I’m going to schedule my “office hours” ahead of time so when I’m not doing work I’m in the moment as much as possible.

I also really need to be better about properly warming up before running and stretching afterwards. It takes so much more time, but I really need to make it a priority.

And I’m focusing on making some good family dinners. Not crazy ones, but ones that are healthy and that all of us can eat together.

Not sure if you’re into the whole sugar detox thing, but if you are, a new 21 Day Sugar Detox just started today. You can find a lot of information of the Facebook page here.

Oh, and I got this pretty cool article in an email from Jillian Michaels (not sure how I got on the list, but I get daily emails from her), but thought I’d pass it along.

How to Break Bad Habits

Some good info on changing bad habits. Dang, some are so hard to give up though aren’t they?

Have a good one!

What did you do this weekend?

Have you ever been to a surprise wedding?

Any September goals?

Comments

Surprise wedding, whaaaaaat?!? Wow, that is crazy…what a surprise!
    This weekend went by way too fast. I somehow made it through 11.5 slow, humid miles Sat. am…Sunday was more relaxing, we went out on the boat. Today I spent the day getting things done and dreading the start of school tomorrow.
    My September goals are to transition into my work schedule and still fit in my workouts (thanks, RW challenge emails for keeping me accountable!) and keep getting stronger. Oh…and to have a more positive attitude and just enjoy every day.

Aren’t the emails the best? Just had my first tempo workout today. It was a little rough. : ) Nice job on 11.5 miles Laura! SO fun having you as a challenge buddy!

Yum! The nachos and burgers look delicious! I think I might have to try the nachos this week :)
    Love that wedding idea—seems so relaxed and stress-free–no answering to others during the wedding planning!

What an awesome idea – love the surprise thing with a wedding instead of just the engagement party!!!
    I’m so glad that you are running again – I love to read about all the awesome things you do with your running career!!!

Bethp262 says:

Yes, I was to one surprise wedding. It was an uncle of mine, a second marriage for both so they didn’t want presents, etc. The guests were told it was to be a surprise birthday party! Very fun!

:) when ever I plan to get up early to do something…that is when everyone gets up early :) . Then when I need them to get up early…they all sleep in!!!
    I need to stretch better too!!!! i only make it a priority when I am close to an injury…bad idea!
    I haev never heard of a surprise wedding…that is crazy. My husband and I were only engaged for 2 months though :)

Jill C. says:

A surprise wedding?! I would be so stressed if I was the bride! I’m way OCD, though, so that ‘s just in my nature. My September goals are to stick to my half training, complete the 30-Day Arms Challenge, and to stay on top of work in law school! I love September and all the months after to Christmas; it’s a good time to be alive :)

A surprise wedding sounds like so much fun! Glad you had a great weekend, mine was just so-so.

Hali says:

WOW! A surprise wedding… that is awesome! I went to a regular wedding this weekend ;-) Two of my September goals: try one new recipe a week and go to bed 30 minutes earlier than usual!

meredith says:

A surprise wedding sounds so fun! I have never been to one but perhaps my next wedding will be one like that lol….Don’t you love when the kids need you at the very moment you are sitting down to get work done? My son is the same way, especially when I decide to talk on the phone. He may not have said a word to me for an hour, as soon as I get on the phone, he suddenly remembers I exist and he needs to talk.

MIZ says:

MY WEDDING WAS A SURPRISE ONE!
    shocking huh? ;-)

I think a surprise wedding would be really cool! And most of what I’ve read talks about the long slow run. I try to slow down for my long runs as well. But in the running coach class, there were discussions about plans that do incorporate tempos into the long run.

I can’t say I’ve ever been to a surprise wedding, but it sounds like a blast!

Michelle Kim says:

Yeah I saw on your IG about the surprise wedding! That is kind of a genius idea :D

So much to say but short of time – I LOVE the surprise wedding & of course family fun!