The Last Breakfast- Going Green With STUFT French Toast

Workout so far today:

Two mile run on the treadmill because I didn’t get to the gym in time to fit in my run I was supposed to do with my training plan. Oopsies.

Taught a BOSU class.

Hoping to fit in a short run once it cools down a bit.

Oh my goodness, my stomach is in knots because preschool starts tomorrow.

The boys are only going two half days a week, but I’m just not good with change. I can’t believe their growing up. I’m worried about the schedule, what to pack for food, the money, and well, you know, everything moms like to worry about.

Lovely.

Did a little school supply shopping last night. Highlight of the trip was finding this pretty awesome fire truck just sitting by its lonesome in Target. You better believe we helped ourselves to ride on that thing. Ha ha.

So I’m pretending today is the official start to September. I hope I’m not the only one.

9/3/13- That’s a good “starting” date for a lot, yes?

I have a list of a few things with that starting date at the moment.

I’ve been slacking on the home front with breakfasts for the boys. I used to be so creative and make them so many fun things.

This morning it was time to take it back. I’m going to do my best to prepare meals and snacks at home to help steer clear from processed and packaged foods for them. I don’t want their body getting to used to it and I’m already noticing that they are loving the Pirate Booty (and a few other things) a little too much. I really haven’t been good about making sure they get their vegetables either and just yesterday Joaquin spit out sweet potato and said he didn’t like it. What? Red flag. Who doesn’t like sweet potato?

So today we went for a new toddler friendly version of mean green French toast. This version uses real eggs and has not only spinach in there, but zucchini too.

Awesome, I know.

Here you go.

I used my NutriBullet to blend all the ingredients together. Worked like a charm.

Not to brag or anything, but these cool plates were pretty much licked clean this morning.

How fitting that the boys then decided they want to dress like this for the first day of school tomorrow.

Nice.

Not that you care, but my breakfast was green too. Check it out.

Egg whites and shredded zucchini cooked in coconut oil with a little Trader Joe’s Everyday Seasoning and some ghost pepper salt. Then I added some organic spinach and Scotty B’s bacon jalapeño hot sauce to the plate. Oh and heck yeah, that’s the no grain seedy bread again. I made another loaf that came out a bit better so it’s actually a good thing I’m a slacker and held off on sharing the recipe.

Yep. It’s just that much better now. My friend gave me the idea the other day to mash up an avocado on toast and then sprinkle some Slap Ya Mama on there.

Brilliant.

Gotta love green breakfasts.

Also gotta love the very first homegrown spaghetti squash the hubs brought home.

Aren’t they beautiful?

Okay, back to trying to get these little guys (and myself) ready for the first day of preschool tomorrow.

No grain seedy bread recipe coming soon.

Seriously.

I’m not the only mama nervous for preschool to start, right? Why is it such a big deal?

Have you ever tried green French Toast?

Is today your official start to September also? He he.

Comments

I feel your pain and stress with the whole preschool thing – I sent my “little” boys to middle school & high school this year!!! (there were tears, on my part after drop off the first day!)
    I hope that preschool is great for the boys and for you!!!

Oh MY Gosh…I cannot even remember the start of preschool…..that seems like eons ago. My oldest is in 11th, then #2 is in 8th and the babe is in 5th grade this year…..my LAST year of Elementary school…YEA!

But, that just shows how much older I am than you. ;-) ;-(

I am also the mom who NEVER cried when their kiddo started kindergarten or got on the bus for the first time….I was probably pushing them up the steps…ha ha! (My neighbor was a bawling fool so I will always remember that I didn’t shed a tear) However, wait until they graduate and I hear the “graduation song” and I will probably be a crying pile of tears.

I guess certain milestones affect people in different ways.

Aw. Good luck sending your boys off to preschool. I don’t like change either. I always cry on the last day of summer break, and I always feel crappy the first day back at school. Yes, I am a big baby. I remember though, when my mom dropped my off for kdg ( I didn’t go to preschool) I cried for like the first week. Guess it’s ingrained in my brain to dislike the beginning of school.

Love your spaghetti squashes. I have/had a garden full of them this year. So. good. I actually just picked a few, had to rescue one that grew into the reach of the chickens. Have yours started laying yet? Mine finally started about 3 weeks ago, and they are doing a great job :) Hah.

Jill C. says:

Oh, I can’t wait to see their first day of school photos! I think they would really set the tone for the rest of the year if they showed up in Toy Story garb ;)

Diana says:

Green French toast looks weird, but sounds yummy. I’ll have to give it a try for me (since there are no toddlers around to eat it for me).

Sept. 3rd is definitively the start of September. You and count the holiday weekend! I gotta get back on track with my eating this month. There have been too any sweets and carbs around here lately.

My daughter has worn leotards, tutus, cowboy boots, princess outfits–you name it—-to school. That girl has a style of her own (and still does) :)

Hali says:

You’re amazing for feeding your boys green french toast! They are going to be the best eaters ;-) GOOD luck sending them off to pre-school, I am not a mama yet, but I know my Mom cried when I started school & I am pretty sure I will do the same! Today was back to work for me and I start school (post-bac program) next Monday… LOTS of changes this month and I am nervous! Have a great week!

Tess says:

The boys will have a blast and you’ll be a very proud, but teary, Momma and that’s O.K.!!!!!!!!!!!!!

meredith says:

Oh you are so not alone in feeling sad to send them 2 days a week. I was crushed to start my son in preschool – to the point where I tried rationalizing not sending him. But it was so good for him and definitely the right decision! It is hard to adjust to because we are so used to having them with us all of the time, I remember he was my little buddy and I took him out for lunch every day and missed him so much as I ate my Panera lunch without him. But rather quickly one adjusts and when the school breaks come, you say, “Ugh when does school start again?!”….I should add in that my son had difficulty adjusting as well at first and used to ask the director to call me because he needed to leave to run errands with his mother…now he can’t wait to get away from me.

sofi says:

Good luck to the little guys on their first day of preschool! They are so cute.
    Thanks for the great idea with the French Toast, will try it with my kids, maybe I will call it Incredible Hulk Toast, since it’s a nice shade of green :)

Natalie says:

Good luck to your boys and huge hugs to you!!

My daughter started kindergarten yesterday!! She was soooo excited. Daddy on the other had was crushed, haha. I held it together because I knew she would be ok.

They will do well in preschool and it will be good for them, but watch for catching colds and stuff from the germs. That’s the down side. Today I took the four grandkids on a “field trip” after school – to the airport, we rode the sky train back and forth, went into the airport terminal, and went to the top of the parking lot (9th floor) to watch planes take off and land. Then more riding the sky train (between parking lots and terminals). Then to Costco so each could buy a book and then have pizza. I am pooped! Love your blog.

That french toast looks so cool. Like camo!

1. [...] Buzz Lightyear or Woody just yet. We have to suck up to the teachers a bit first before we let our real family freak flags [...]