How It Went Down- Preschool, Slowing Down and a Mocha

Well, since I’m on a race to see just how much I can get done before I pick up the boys in 45 minutes, this will be quick.

Dump style of course.

I’ll save my recent running and workouts for the next post if you don’t mind as I have a few running related things to discuss. I’ll try to keep that one on topic as I really can’t make any promises with this mess that’s about to follow. I’m a little scatter brained at the moment.

Ha ha.

First, before I forget. If you’re local There is a special blood drive tomorrow afternoon for avid cyclist Mark Olsen who was diagnosed with Leukemia in May.

Here are the details.

image

image

Just click here to schedule an appointment if you’re interested. (If needed use code sportrx .)

I’ve never donated blood before, but am looking into scheduling an appointment for tomorrow.

So yeah, the preschool thing. First off, waking up at 5:30 am has been a bit of an adjustment the past two days. For ALL of us. I’m sure we’ll get used to it, right?

Anyhoo….

If you follow in instagram, you saw the first day picture. If you missed it, well here are a couple more for your viewing pleasure.

IMG_7099IMG_7107IMG_7115IMG_7118

Stop it. NO, I did NOT cry. Thought about it, sucked it up though.

Their first day artwork.

Yes, those are self portraits. Don’t worry, I won’t tell them you asked.

Naturally we celebrated the first day of preschool by going to our favorite place.

And, already I was suckered into buying some yogurt drinks because some girl at school has one in her lunch. Really?

I will not disclose how much money was spent at Costco, but it was a large amount. And about 10 minutes after I finished unloading everything (talk about a workout by the way) I realized we’re have ONE roll of toilet paper left.

Lovely. Isn’t that how it always works though?

Last night I should have worked. I didn’t.

I looked outside and saw this.

Then I just spent extra snuggle time with the boys and actually read a little and went to bed at 10:00 pm. It was glorious.

So was this that I read from One Thousand GIfts.

Um, talk about hitting home.

This morning I saw some people on instagram talking about #slowdownchallenge13 . Obviously I decided to take a lesson from my wise friends Lindsey and Sarena and just slow down.

There’s this whole Slow Down Challenge going on and I’m so in. Like, really IN.

1 Busyness

Are you?

Day two of preschool took a little extra bit of caffeine in the form of an iced Americano before 6:00 am.

As promised, I will not show pictures of school days every day, but here are a few that made me smile this morning.

IMG_7148IMG_7149IMG_7150IMG_7151IMG_7153

I was freakishly tired this afternoon and had some Vega Sport protein powder that I got from the IDEA Fitness expo awhile back.

I haven’t had protein powder since the whole STUFT Detox thing, so decided to experiment this afternoon. The only sweetener the Vega protein uses is stevia extract. I love that everything in their products is plant based.

IMG_0387IMG_0389IMG_0390

Naturally I had to make a protein mocha with it.

It wasn’t too shabby. The protein definitely had a different taste to it, but it was good. I mixed half a packet with 1 1/2 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk, a VIA packet of Starbucks instant coffee and a little extra cocoa powder for fun.

In other news, the new mama and toddler friendly roasted vegetable the past few days has been roasted cauliflower.

I forgot how good it is with marinara sauce. And if I put enough olive oil and parmesan cheese on it for the boys, they love it too.

And, well, I’m off to teach a couple classes.

I’ll be back to chat running later.

Totally random, but I’m loving Kelly Ripa’s new hair cut.

So cute, right?

Anyone else need to slow down?

Comments

No…I have been slowing down too much I need to get out there and go…

Love the new haircut on her…but really don’t you think she could and would look good in any hair style?

kolya says:

Slowing down mentally the last couple days has actually helped lift my spirits….so hard to do and when I’m in the think of anxiety I don’t even realize it…ugh

Quick question…for your smoothies what kind of blender do you use? I need a new one but I want a small personal-sized one with it’s own take-it-with-me container. Any suggestions?

The pictures of the boys are too funny and cute! I can totally relate to your Costco/toilet paper issue… bummer. Love Kelly Ripa’s hair!

Jennifer G says:

They are too cute! Good job on not crying. I was a mess yesterday seeing my little guy getting on the bus to go to big boy school for the first time.

Totally relate to the kids needing a particular food because someone else had it. I was asked to get a different kind of string cheese. “The twisty kind. No, not just multi-color, but it actually has twists.”

Be careful donating blood (if they let you, since there is a weight minimum). Last time I donated, it was a heavy week of exercise for me, and it knocked me on my butt. I started feeling sickish that night (probably was brewing all week since I was overdoing things already), then by my 5k a few days later and half-marathon the following day, I was feeling awful. Ran them both anyway and it took me about 3 weeks to feel normal again. Lesson learned: it’s important to listen to your body and REST, especially when you donate blood. That was the only time I had such a problem.

Great quote about giving thanks! It’s so true.

I don’t know if I can donate with some other things I’ve got going on too. I need to find out. Thanks for the warning. I know, I may have to look into additional ways I can help the cause. We always learn our lessons the hard way, don’t we?

OMG. The boys looked TOO cute!! Big hug to you for not crying, friend. I am going to be a blabbering mess when it’s AJ’s turn! xo

lindsay says:

i’m so glad you are in! and i’m glad you are reading that book. It’s amazing, we just have to recognize where we rush life, the no need rush. ANd yes, i love vega! i use it in a pudding form though. It’s delicious.

love ya!

I just told my kids I wasn’t buying Danimals at Costco–they asked too!

adorable pics of the boys :)
    also….10pm bedtime is glorious. i try to be in bed at 10 every weeknight. it’s a great habit to get into

I either need to slow down or learn to survive without sleep!!!
    I wondered if the boys ever wear matching shirts!

meredith says:

Welcome to the world of the kids wanting to eat what the other kids bring. This is just the beginning, I hate to tell you that lol. Not only does my son want every chip advertised on TV and in his classroom thanks to the other kids, he wants the little snack sized bags versus when I try to buy the large bags (from Trader Joe’s which he can’t stand either just because it is “Trader Joe’s) and then I put them in baggies/ containers to save money. Yeah, he wants no part in that….and oh, I LOVE roasted cauliflower. My problem is self control around it, not that it is bad for you but it is bad for my stomach when you eat the whole head lol…Have you made the pizza crust? I think you have, I made it last week. Ridiculous.

Diane says:

Can I just say I love reading your thoughts everyday :) Been trying to slow it down myself, just seems like there is so much to do!! Seems like I live at Costco too! Totally trying that protein shake too, need one STAT!! Have a great Friday :)

Heather says:

The boys are SO CUTE! I don’t know how you didn’t cry, I would have been hysterical, haha. I absolutely hate it when I get home from shopping only to realize I forgot something crucial. Last week my wife and I went grocery shopping, planning to make spaghetti and meatballs for dinner, only to realize we forgot the jar of organic marinara sauce! My wife went back to the same store and the same cashier, who just laughed and gave her that knowing “I’ve been there” look. And I DO love Kelly’s new look!!! So stylish :)

Melissa says:

A caution about the blood donation: if you donate whole blood, your athletic performance will decrease a bit for a week or so. It’s from lack of hemoglobin. If you donate just plasma, I don’t think there’s an effect. Check out: http://www.runnersworld.com/health/blood-v-plasma-donation-runners I don’t want to say don’t donate, but be aware. :)

Elizabeth says:

Amen on slowing down and relishing every moment. In fact I have to watch my caffeine in order to slow down. Hugs! E

I LOVE the kiddo pics!!!! I am following the slowdown challenge – it is a challenge for me & I know I will do well some days & not so much others.. :)