Do More Good In Life and Running and the Perfect Baked Eggs

Wednesday Workout:

Ran 2.5 miles on the treadmill.

Taught spin.

Ran 5.5 miles on the treadmill.

Really, there were people in my class, but I’m not quite ready to fly that freak flag and take pictures of myself while they’re on the bikes. I don’t think any of them even know I write a blog. Ha ha.

That workout this morning was not my plan. My plan was to run 6-7 miles before my spin class and then be done. But, I was running late (that’s weird) and didn’t get time to fit it in.

Ran about an average 8-8:20 pace for most of the miles (if you care).

Got home and did my PT exercises while my kabocha was roasting. For some reason it’s so hard for me to find the time to do my PT exercises. So silly, but I’d so much rather be doing something else.

Anyhoo…

Wasn’t sure if I was going to write a post today. I have mixed feelings about it. I didn’t want to blab about the usual randomness. I want to take the day to honor all the heroes that helped with the tragic event 12 years ago, pray for people who lost loved ones, be thankful for life and all of God’s amazing gifts and show gratitude for the blessings we have right now.

You know what else has been on my mind?

The need to do more good. I’m really feeling like I need to do more things for other people. To help others. To give more.

Running is selfish.

Sure, it’s my therapy and it’s my thing and I love it. I live it.

But….

my family and friends make a lot of sacrifices so that I can live out my passion. I take a lot from others. It’s time to give back.

There was a time when I told STUFT Daddy I was going to start running fast enough to bring home some money from some races someday. Well, I don’t quite think things are going to pan out that way now, but that’s darn okay. I’m just happy to be back running.

And, well, I’m feeling like I really need to use the gift and the fact that I can run again to serve others.

To do something good.

Something good and big.

You know?

Like this lady.

@RUNEMZ

image

SHE IS AMAZING!

Seriously.

Starting tomorrow night at 8 pm she’s starting a 24 hour treadmill run in San Francisco to raise money for education in India.

Just darn awesome. Find out more how to donate here.

Way back when, the boys and I did the Silver Strand Half Marathon for Amelia.

We raised money to help give Amelia the gift or hearing. (She has since gotten the surgery and has been making amazing progress.)

I want to more of that. Not pushing the stroller as that is just not happening these days, but I CAN run for a cause.

So…..

I’m searching for one. If you know of any organizations or have any ideas feel free to send them my way. Email me kristin@stuftfitness.com .

In other random STUFT news (I’ll keep it brief, but just can’t help myself).

It was harder today to leave the boys at school than it was the other two days last week. I don’t know why.

They refused to wear matching shirts and yes, I did neglect to run a comb through their hair this morning. I did not neglect to send them to school with some hard boiled eggs though in their lunch. Ha ha.

STUFT Daddy said I can’t send hard boiled eggs with them, but I said they needed protein. I only sent the white parts anyway since the boys don’t like the yolks. I bet I’m making a lot of friends there.

The afterschool toddler snack of the day was this.

I know, not the healthiest and they had to eat their fruit from their lunches first, but it’s called mush. Graham crackers in a bowl, add milk and “mush” it all up. Grandma introduced the boys to it (thank you?) and now they beg for it regularly.

I needed a pretty hefty snack this afternoon because I was dragging.

I had banana soft serve (frozen banana blended with unsweetened vanilla almond milk) topped with my cinnamon roasted coconut chips, mixed nuts and a banana nut Quest Bar that I cut in pieces and roasted on the pan with the coconut and the nuts.

Yep. Darn good idea and it was delightful. So delightful that I’m putting one more picture of it on here.

You’re welcome.

I’m pretty pumped about the new Runner’s World for this month. It’s the special nutrition issue. I’m hoping to get a chance to read it tonight. We’ll see how that goes.

Oh, and I’ve run out of quite a few of my Penzeys Spices so I’m making a wish list in case I get to make a special trip there anytime soon.

(instagram)

Since I mentioned that I sent the boys to school with hard boiled eggs, I better tell you that I perfected my baking of them.

Place eggs in a muffin tin. Bake them at 375 convection for 25 minutes.

Perfection. Now if I could only figure out how to peel them easily. Got any tips?

Have a good rest of you day.

Any charity or event ideas?

Would you send your kids to school with hard boiled eggs?

Have you ever had mush?

Have you ever had a baked Quest Bar?

Comments

I have never heard of mush before! Sounds interesting! Your boys look adorable! I can’t wait to follow RunEmz journey! I can’t imagine 24 hours on a treadmill! The longest I go on a treadmill is maybe 3 hours and that is ENOUGH for me!

lindsay says:

do good, yes. i love this. all of it. remember that we need to pass that good along. love you!

Michelle Kim says:

Like I do with boiled eggs, maybe just putting them in cold water will help them to be more easily peeled later? Usually, I just run the water until it stays cold (instead of warm… since the eggs will be hot. Did that make sense? :P ). I think in Korea, they do something like having them sit in vinegar water.. but I’m not sure about that one.
    Then again, I’ve never tried it with roasted/baked eggs!

Laura P says:

I never heard of baking eggs like that before, interesting!

Sorry but the mush sounds gross! Lol. I love graham crackers and milk, but not in a bowl. But then again I also hate mushy soggy cereal, so there you go! :-)

Runemz sounds amazing!!

Kelli Ushakov says:

I just wanted to say THANK YOU. You are so inspiring. I am 44 and seriously overweight. On again, off again diets. I fell in love with the gym (weight lifting) about 4 years ago, but had to leave that gym, and just haven’t found another that ‘fit’ so well. I’ve been struggling with getting back into a routine, because, honestly, I just don’t lose weight. At this point, though, thanks to you, I’ve decided to commit to going back to the gym, just for the love of it and to make my insides healthier. I will never be small or thin, but I want to be around for my (5) kids and hopefully some grandkids one day. You encouraged me to get back to the gym and at least try to eat healthier. (I will also share with you that I did Jamie Eason’s 12 week challenge, and as of week 9, had not cheated, not even once and did every workout, drank the water, took the supplements, and I lost a total of 4 pounds…after 9 weeks…it was a bit defeating, to say the least). So….now I’m just going to focus on doing what makes me feel good, which is the gym. I just wanted you to know that you ARE doing good, by doing your blog. You have made a difference to me. Thank you! (I love reading about your life, and am always just amazed at what you accomplish in a day! ).

Kelli- Oh my word, oh my word, oh my word, I don’t even know what to say Kelli. This comment brought me to tears. Yes, everyone is different and it’s all about finding what works for YOU and doing what you LOVE. I’m so proud of you for deciding to go back to the gym. It’s so hard to get back into the routine, but hang in there. I’m emailing you. You’ve got this. Every step (even the smallest one ever) counts!!!!!

Lori says:

Hi! I also bake eggs (for my husband)…not sure if this will help but I bake them at 325 for 25 minutes and then refrigerate them. I just asked him if peeling is ever an issue and he said no so maybe the lower temp may work? Love your blog :)

Andrea says:

Fill the sink with cool water and roll the eggs on the bottom. This will cause the shell to crack and seperate from the egg. Then the shells will float to the top and you can scoop them out and toss.
    Easy Peasy.

I love what EMZ is doing – I should figure out a way to turn my birthday runs (also on the treadmill) into a fundraiser. Maybe when I do 45 since 44 is this weekend and I probably won’t get that plan taken care of in the next 3 days.
    I always peel my eggs under cold water – easy off!!!

Dulcy says:

Tip for peeling eggs….cool them in ice water then peel them in the ice water as well. If you use really fresh eggs it is the only way I found to not tear them up…by the way thanks for the tip on cooking them in the oven…hadn’t heard that one!

Love this Kristin!!!! YES, Emz – amazing – I would not even think about running that long course I am not a runner per say – I just run for cardio.. :)

Doing good is a good thing!

Bridget says:

My night is complete, a picture of the rascals @ school, WEEK 2!!!!! I’m with Andrew on the boiled eggs. Make sure you teach them to chew with their mouth closed. That stuff oozing out of their mouthes, half chewed, will not help them in the friends department. But it is a great snack!!

we have a GREAT cause for running for you to consider… I noticed that you “liked” a few of our posts on our fb page (runsixtyfeet) I’d love to share with you more about what we’re doing at Sixty Feet (www.sixtyfeet.org), to help the imprisoned (yes, I said imprisoned) children of Uganda. How do we do this? thru running, of course! I’d LOVE to connect with you about the deets.

you can connect with me via email: katieseevers@sixtyfeet.com

Dawn says:

I would not send my daughter to school with hard boiled eggs just because the can smell bad but that’s just me (she is grown now anyways).

I love baking my eggs but still have a problem with getting the shells off so my husband fixes and breaks the shells for me. I’m spoiled like that!

1. [...] trying to figure out a cause for running. How to do more. Thank you for the emails. I can’t wait to learn more about the [...]

2. [...] speaking of doing good, after I wrote this post, I got an email about this amazing organization called Sixty Feet. I’m looking into how I can [...]