Surviving Bart’s 800s and Some Random Tuesday Things

Whelp.

Let’s see here.

I decided my Monday afternoon needed a little Halo Handful matching and brightening up yesterday before teaching some classes.

No, I did NOT let it all hang out by only wearing that orange Handful bra. Covered it up with my new favorite Reebok tank.

No one wants to see this outie belly button (that Joaquin has so eloquently referred to as a “penis” before) and lovely diastasis doing burpees. Ha ha.

Last night I had to make cinnamon roasted coconut chips again. This time I added some nuts again and an apple and added my favorite cocoa powder.

Put them on top of some banana soft serve because I really felt like eating them with a spoon.

I also ate it in bed while doing work and watching the Chargers lose. Let’s not talk about that though.

Last night I got this email from the Runner’s World Challenge.

I’m in week 10 of my MCM training plan and today was the first time I had to do any kind of repeats. I’ve heard about the Yasso 800s before, but had never done them.

I’m not going to lie, I was a little nervous (okay, maybe a lot). tried to come up with a few excuses in my head, you know.

Eventually I got to the gym and on the treadmill. And guess what? I made it. Didn’t get the full 9 miles in like I was supposed to as I got a late start and had to teach a short BOSU class right afterwards (yeah, that was fun).

But….. I survived. They actually go by pretty fast, but thank goodness there were only 4 of them. I felt like barfing at least twice and regretted my spicy breakfast almost immediately. I also admittedly stepped of the treadmill a few times during the recovery jogs. Oopsies.

It was hard to run fast. It’s been at least a good 6 months since I’ve done that. I’m sure I’ll be feeling it a bit tomorrow.

And Beavis, I made the mistake of getting on a treadmill that automatically starts a cool down once you’ve been on it for 58 minutes. Sometimes I love that, today I didn’t. I had to restart it to get another cool down mile in.

Oh, and totally a side note, but really, it chaps my hide that cardio machines always overestimate how many calories you burn. Not that it matters that much, but if people rely on them they should know that they lie.

(Picture from Monday’s run.)

Okay, I totally have a lot I wanted to write about, but I’m tempted at the moment to try to go to Farmer’s Market really quick while Mom is hanging with the boys to scope out a few goodies.

So……

here are just a couple of random things to leave you with.

We’ve been slowing down and getting a few extra snuggles in the morning the past two days.

Still doing the slow down challenge and have to take advantage of the mornings that we can. Tomorrow it’s back to preschool for week 2. (I will try to not post pictures, but I’m not making any promises.)

We’ve been eating Trader Joe’s guacamole like it’s going out of style lately. Seriously, good stuff.

I’ve had the same turkey taco salad lunch for the past three days in a row.

Today it was followed by cinnamon cocoa roasted kabocha with all the usual fixings.

I’ve been trying to not post kabocha pictures lately, so I’ll just show you this one of the perfectly roasted piece (in case you’ve been missing them).

And this one from this morning of some pretty cool kabocha secret spy goggles.

So, with this little reminder from the boy’s devotional…..

I’m off.

May you trust, fly, run and walk.

Have a great Tuesday night!

Have you ever done Yasso 800s or any kind of speed work?

Do the calorie counters on machines make you mad too or is it just me?

Is there something your family is eating a lot of right now?

Comments

Hey Kristin! I have been reading your blog & Instagram for a few weeks now but have yet to comment. I just wanted to say you seem like such a kind hearted, sweet person. Your dedication to a healthy lifestyle and running is very admiral. I love all of the pictures and good ideas you write about! Have a great evening girl!

Oh Liz- thank you so much!!!!! You are way too kind. I keep saying I’m going to stop writing about random things, but I can’t help myself. Ha ha. Hope you’re having a great week!

This is the first time I am (trying) to do different kinds of speed work (thanks RW challenge) and Yasso’s are my favorite. And YESSSSSS I agree about stupid lying calorie counting on machines. I paid good money for the thing….why can’t it just tell me the truth?! Ugh! :) Congrats on completing your first Yasso workout, though.

Diana says:

Those calorie counters on the machines are just there to mock me! I had been out of the gym for a week (since I messed up my foot running), and when I got back yesterday, I forgot to bring my heart rate monitor. All I had was what the machine told me, which was total crap! I don’t believe you machine.

Erica says:

Way to push through it!!! Yes, the calorie counts on the machines make me mad because I know there are people who truly take that to be the truth! Love the bra. We’re starting to eat more soup!

Yes! I did Yasso’s last week in fact – 6 of them. They are TOUGH! But a great workout! I thought I was going to vomit by #6! And to think you are supposed to be able to complete 10!??! Yeah I have a ways to go….. Great job!! I also hate when I forget to set the treadmill at the gym on marathon mode and it cuts off at 60 mins – thankfully right now I am stuck to my home treadmill and it just keeps going!

Jill C. says:

So, how are the boys enjoying school? Still doing great? I’m eating a TON of peanut butter over here. I guess my body is craving protein. I don’t mind seeing as how peanut butter is my favorite food ever.

I am loving avocados…avocados….avocados!!!

And I am loving that new orange Handful…I actually looked on the website for it and didn’t see the color as an option do you know if its being sold in stores or on a site somewhere? thanks!

I HATE the automatic cool down treadmills. No matter when they come on, I always feel like it is too soon :/

WooHoo – great job on the Yasso 800s!!! I try to occasionally do speed work just for fun and to make sure I still can!!!

Yes, the calorie counters on machines really bother me. My clients always think they burned more than they did, and I feel like Debbie Downer when I have to break the bad news to them. I’d like to go through my gym with a roll of black electrical tape and cover up those calorie displays!
    Nice job on the workout! I always find the first speed workout after not doing any for a while a bit rough. Watch – you’ll be knocking those repeats out with ease in just a few weeks!

Courtney R says:

This comment doesn’t necessarily go here, but I just wanted to thank you for this blog! I’m a college athlete and you’ve really made an impact on my diet and exercise. It’s been two years or so and I can’t help but read this daily! Thanks for inspiring me and being a great mother that I hope to be someday :)

Courtney- well, a comment like this can go anywhere. :) He he. Thank you so much for saying that. It means a ton. It’s such a blessing to have people like you out there reading this silly stuff. I have no doubt you will be an amazing mother someday. HUGS!

My kids have the same devotional!

Beth says:

That turkey taco salad looks so good. What’s in it? Also, where do you find your squash? I can’t seem to locate the kombucha squash anywhere!

Squash from Smart and Final or Sprouts. Salad- taco meat cooked with taco seasoning, romaine lettuce, tomatoes, onion, seasonings, hot sauce, guacamole…. I think that’s it. ;)

Michelle Kim says:

Aww crap! Does that mean the calorie count on my Garmin is off, too?? I just did a 10+ miler with 50 minute fartlek and it said I burned over 1200 calories. Guess I can’t pig out as much as I planned, hehe.

Purelytwins says:

way to go girl!!

love the orange handful bra, we must get one!

I love orange on you & you look amazing in your workout pic!!!!

OK, you know I love the family pics – so cute & the IG ones too!!! Slow down – so needed! :)

Bridget says:

Oh if you do not post 2nd week school pictures of your tyrants I will boycott this blog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!