A Humbling Lesson From a Toddler- Don’t Forget to Wave

Happy Sunday friends.

Workout:

11 miles on my old trusty home treadmill early this morning.

Totally forgot to check the totally time, but ran at 8:20 pace for about 6 miles, then 8:00 pace for about 3, then 7:47 for the last two.

I do know though it was perfect timing to watch the movie Bachelorette.

And since it’s Sunday and all, I might as well confess that I sometimes (like last night) skip taking a night shower and sleep in my Handful bra so it makes getting on the treadmill early in the morning a little easier.

Another bonus about running at home, wearing only a bra and hiking your old Target running shorts up as high as possible (over the belly button like Steve Urkel) since no one can see.

Random, but does anyone else have a vein that pops out on their forehead too? Ha ha.

Coach Jason wrote a little recap of our run from Friday. It’s on his website here. Kind of funny to read his thoughts on our little run together.

Also, just a note, that he’s running the New York Marathon this November for the American Cancer Society. Today is the three year anniversary of when his mom passed away from cancer, so he’s running in her memory. It’s always nice when a race (and running) is so much more than just running, when you’re doing it for a cause that’s truly meaningful to you or that you’re passionate about.

If you’d like to support him, here is the link.

Speaking of running for a good cause, RUNEMZ completed her 100 treadmill miles and then some during her 24 hour treadmill run. I caught some of the live streaming online and it was darn amazing to watch.

She’s even been active on instagram (@runemz) since she finished. Crazy. She should be in bed just having people wait on her and bring her food and stuff, right?

Even though her run is done, you can still donate for her cause too (education in India).

And, speaking of doing good, after I wrote this post, I got an email about this amazing organization called Sixty Feet. I’m looking into how I can work with them as they help imprisoned children in Africa and just reading about it has touched my heart in a major way.

It’s time I put this darn miraculous recovery to good use. There’s a reason I can run again and I’m pretty sure it’s to help others, not just myself.

Okay, moving on.

I forgot to show you the fourth day of preschool photo. So sorry. For those of you who come to the blog only to see Kitty or the boys, here you go.

We sometimes learn the most humbling life lessons from our kids, right?

Well, we learned a pretty good one the other day around here.

One of our guys is a very early riser.

He’s really big on helping early in the morning with coffee, lunches, you know, all the fun stuff.

He’s also REALLY big on saying “bye” and waving to Daddy as he leaves for work.

Every morning he waves from the window as Daddy walks to his truck. He waits there every single day.

Well, the other mornings things were a little crazy around here. A certain someone forgot keys and was running a little late and had a lot on his mind.

He walked right on by straight to his truck without stopping to wave.

I’ve never seen Judah so sad. He cried. He said Daddy forgot to wave and didn’t say “bye”. We both watched him pull away and drive down the street. He couldn’t see us. He had no idea.

Obviously we called him right away so we could say “bye” over the phone.

To top it off the next morning when I was leaving to do my early long run, I told Judah to wave to me from the window instead of outside, and he said, “Don’t walk by like Daddy did.”

Oh my heart. Poor guy. I told him that we won’t let that happen again. And goodness gracious we all feel so darn bad about it, it definitely shouldn’t happen again.

Obviously the whole situation not only makes me a little choked up, but made me think a bit.

So, my deep Sunday thoughts.

There are a lot of people, loved ones and a really big Man above that waits for us every single day.

They watch, they wait. Not just for us to wave “bye”, but for us to give them some time and attention.

We go through life busy. Going from one thing to the next. Thinking about work, rushing from place to place while they wait for us. While HE waits.

We need to make the time to not just wave, but to sit and spend quality time together. With family, with loved ones, with friends, with HIM.

However that time happens to pan out. We just need to be in the moment.

Have fun together. (Sometimes it’s in the kitchen in your pjs with some squash.)

(Not bad photos for a toddler, huh?)

Play games.

Read.

Have quiet time.

Our favorites are this book every morning and this toddler devotional every night.

Give thanks and start listing One Thousand Gifts.

Slow down.

And remember, time is love.

Hope you find the time and remember to “wave”.

Comments

Karen C. says:

Candy Land rocks!
    So does reading to your boys.
    And the things that hurt your heart when you think about them now still hurt your heart when you look back and they are all grown up.
    Sometimes it’s hard to remember that it is all of the little moments that make the very best memories.
    You are doing an awesome job.

That is so precious! I think it is a great reminder that we should all remember not to get too caught up in life that we miss out on the small every day joys! It’s amazing what children can teach us!

Erin says:

Hi Kristin! I’m new to your blog and I just had to comment on this touching post. I completely agree with everything you spoke about! I know I am just as guilty for not stopping to slow down, which is why I’ve recently started practicing yoga a few days a week to help me live more in the present and thank God for all that I have in my life. We truly have so much to learn from children. It really is the simple things in life, like a wave, that can really make a difference in someones’ day. I’ll definitely have to look into reading the book you have listed, Jesus Calling. I also wanted to add that I LOVE your recipes and have tried a lot of the breakfast muffins and protein snacks that you have posted. I was getting stuck in a food rut and these have definitely helped get me out of that! Lastly, thanks again for the helpful reminder to stop and wave :)

Hi Erin! Thanks so much for the comment. So glad you like some of the recipes. Oh man so I ever have to update them. There are so many lost ones floating around. I keep meaning to try yoga, but it never happens. Stretching is bad for my hip, so I’m a little scared anyway.
      Hope you’re having a great week and finding time to “wave”. :)

Diane says:

Love this one <3 Melts my heart…

Liz A says:

Thank you for the beautiful post and reminder to slow down (thank Judah for me too)! I’m super impressed you ran 11 fast treadmill miles, so happy your hip is healing. Hugs!

Aw, what a sweet boy. I’m sure Stuft Daddy felt horrible hearing that Judah was so upset. I think it’s important for us all to remember to make time for the ones we love. Time with loved ones is very valuable! On a happier note, I love the picture of you guys playing with the squash.

Courtney says:

We went thru the same waving routine at our house and it was a disaster whenever anyone left and forgot to wave. Tears, so many tears! I guess we should be happy they are still so sad when we leave soon enough they’ll be counting the minutes until they have the house to themselves I’m sure!

Jill C. says:

Man, I would LOVE to play a good game of Candy Land right about now! Going into Week 4 of law school has me wishing for simple, innocent fun :)

Erica says:

Kids are the best- they are such amazing reminders of how we should all act/be/etc etc. That story melted my heart. 11 miles on the treadmill? WOW. I just can’t – the treadmill makes me spin. I can’t imagine doing 100!!!!!!!!! Glad you had a nice weekend

I always find it humbling when one of mine mentions something or points out something that I never saw or didn’t realize I even did. (And of course, they don’t forget it)

It is good to stop in our tracks and reflect for a moment when that happens. ;-)

lindsay says:

yes yes! be funny and live in the moment! love it. and tell judah I’ll wave to him EVERY day, k?

You boys are the cutest. Kids really do have amazing spirits and can teach us so much, like appreciating the small gestures that we, as adults, often overlook and don’t think about. Emz is amazing. And so are you. So happy about your miraculous recovery.

Tess says:

Thanks for the reminder!!!!Have a fun filled week!

Thanks for sharing- so cute! I was reading this last night while hanging out with my husband and it made me decide to put the phone down and stop multitasking :) . Your post is still open on my phone this morning so I thought I’d let you know!

MIZ says:

ahh this makes me miss my little TORNADO of a TODDLER.

xo

Yes. All anyone wants to be is recognized and SEEN! <3 Great learning lesson! :)

Kelly says:

Thanks for the reminder! Isn’t it crazy how much wider our children are than us?

CMama says:

Bless your heart! Thank you for this. We are safe here in Colorado, but we were an island for some time on Friday due to the catastrophic flooding in our area. The wolf stayed away from our door and HE has given us the opportunity to take time with loved ones and to serve those much worse off.

Michelle Kim says:

Awww poor guy! It’s really interesting to think of how the small things can make or break the whole day for someone (waving goodbye). It’s all of those little moments that we forget about as we get older (and busier), but this was a great reminder to slow down, spend time with with our loved ones, and to give time to Him (instead of our leftover time).

Kelli Ushakov says:

Oh, your little man’s heart is precious! I’m obviously a couple of days behind (on reading your blog) here, but I am doing that same devotion! I actually did it all of last year, and loved it so much I’m doing it again. I received a different one for Christmas last year, but I just couldn’t part with this one. I’ll have to check out the one for the kiddos. :)

Denise says:

LIKE and LOVE….thanks for the wave Kristin! And good heavens pre-school!? I need to know where you guys are going….Olivia is right behind them! LOVE YA!
    d

So sweet – the wave story – yes, a lesson beyond the obvious..

Those are some sweet boys you have. And YES I do have a bulging vein on my forehead!!