It’s Not THAT Hard

With my training plan I had a 22 mile run to do this weekend. It happened earlier today. I did some major carbo loading all day yesterday with an entire roasted kabocha squash, some more plantain bread and cassava “fries”. Yep, all those in one day. Nothing new. Ha ha.

I’ll just show you just a few photos.

I’m on this cabbage wrap kick lately. Yesterday I wrapped tuna mixed with sriracha and Trader Joe’s South African Smoke seasoning.

Had to have some of that plantain bread and no grain STUFT seedy bread with avocado mixed with Slap Ya Mama seasoning since I’m also on an avocado kick lately.

Good stuff.

Dinner was a huge chicken salad with roasted burnt asparagus and cassava “fries”.

They were just as good as I remembered. I will also be making them tonight.

This morning I headed out for my run with a plantain STUFT egg-rito to eat on the road.

Plantain STUFT-rito: I cooked a plantain on the stove in coconut oil. Then added egg whites, pink sea salt and cinnamon.

I had my usual little guardian saying good bye and reminding me to be safe.

Hey, he even had his hot cocoa in hand. Pretty funny.

I decided to go back to the same place Coach Jason and I ran last week.

I was by myself today, but decided to just explore and try a new route as a little extra motivation.

I listened to random music this time as I think Jillian podcasts slow me down a bit. Ha.

The first mile of a long run is always tough. You’re trying to find your pace, figuring out how you feel, realizing you’re going to be running for a good amount of time, etc.

I usually go slow by myself and don’t pay any attention to time. Last week Coach Jason was asking me why and I didn’t really have a good answer. It’s not that hard to pick up the pace a bit. So I did a little today. Nothing too fast, still an easy pace, but it felt good to actually keep a pace rather than just trot along and find things to stop and take pictures of. Ha.

I did stop here because there were seals and it was beautiful. I had to.

And here.

Oh and here at La Jolla Cove because people were just walking out and snorkeling. How freaking cool, right?

I felt pretty good until about mile 15. Then I got really tired. I did however keep reminding myself that I was one lucky duck to be able to go out by myself all morning while my amazing husband watches the boys. And how lucky I am to go on a beautiful pain free run. I mean really, who do I think I am?

I really wanted to stop at about mile 18, but just focused on keeping my legs moving.

And, well, finally I hit that 22 mark and it felt so darn good.

My pace was pretty all over the place. Keeping a steady pace is definitely something that I need to work on, but when I plugged it into my plan right now my average was an 8:54/mile. That includes my stops.

This was my longest run in 6 months. Longest run since my injury. I’m one lucky lady.

Finishing always feels so amazing.

You know? You set out to do something. You felt like quitting. It’s not easy. But, then it’s over.

And you think, well, it wasn’t THAT hard.

So, yeah, I had a lot of time to think about that on my run.

I can’t really take credit for the statement “it’s not THAT hard”. It’s from the book It Starts With Food. I’m not sure of the exact wording at the moment as I can’t find it in the book. but something having to do with making the little life change, giving something up or making a smart choice now because in the whole big picture “it’s not THAT hard”.

They give an example that fighting cancer is hard. Dealing with death and sick loved ones is hard. And well, a lot of things happen in life that you don’t have control over and they’re hard. I’m just going to thrown one more in the mix- being a good parent is hard. Right?

But……

making changes and life choices to be healthier, or taking small steps to become a better person, or pushing yourself just a little bit harder,

well, those things are not THAT hard.

My sister-in-law and I were having this discussion when we were doing the Whole 30 (STUFT Detox) together. We were complaining about not having sweetener in our coffee and missing toast in the morning. Then we laughed and reminded each other that little things like that are not THAT hard.

Especially when those little things lead to big changes.

A little perspective, yes?

I took the same approach yesterday with my run. I figured I could pick up the pace a bit so I would have more time to get things done while the boys were in school.

Well, I did, and it wasn’t that hard. Sure, it was a little uncomfortable, but it really wasn’t THAT hard.

We also talked about it at the gym last night after my HIIT class. That class is never easy. Burpees are never easy, but when that 50 minutes is up and we’ve all worked up a good sweat and our legs are a little shaky, we sit and down and are proud of making it through and think that it wasn’t that hard.

It’s not just working out. It’s life changes too.

Behaviors are hard to change. Bad behaviors are really hard to change (I’m working on a few myself), but if you take them one step at a time and put them in perspective they’re not that hard.

If I’m being honest, I have tried a bazillion times to beat myself up. Not intentionally of course, just like self sabotage. You know, to be mean to my body so if I fail at something I have a reason for failing. That kind of fun stuff.

Seriously though, like I have tried a bazillion times to knock this body down, but it just won’t back down.

Either will the Man above. He won’t let me.

I mean I’ve don it all in the past- over trained, binged, not slept enough, ate all the wrong foods, heck, I even currently have darn hip dysplasia for goodness sake, but I have graciously been given the chance again and again to make the right choices. The chance to figure out that it’s not THAT hard to make life changes to be a better, healthier you. Both inside and out.

So, if there’s something you really want. Something you KNOW you need to do, but keep putting it off because it might not be the easiest thing, NOW is your chance to do it. Yes?

Either for yourself or to be a better person for those around you.

Do it.

Don’t wait.

And when it gets a little difficult and you want to give up, remind yourself….

it’s not THAT hard.

Right?

Right.

Side note- I’m giving myself a little pep talk here too friends. He he.

Speaking of things that ARE hard though, have you been following the Valerie Harper story?

She was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer in January and was given three months to live. Well, she’s a fighter and is still going strong and is even doing Dancing With the Stars. Talk about inspiring. Talk about not giving up.

Whelp. That’s it.

Time to go.

Didn’t mean to get so deep on a Friday, but sometimes I just can’t help it.

Have a WONDERFUL weekend!

Is there something you really want to change, but you’ve been holding yourself back?

Comments

gina says:

going to run my first 12 miler tomorrow! thanks for the pep talk!

Jennifer G says:

Great post & thoughts!!

Also, great time for a 22-mi run! Wow!

Diana says:

Just the pep talk I needed! I’m gonna start a modified Whole 30 on Monday and I’m prepping for a half marathon. It’s hard, but not THAT hard.

Just what I needed! I NEED to keep up my long runs because I have a race coming up in October, but all I want to do is CrossFit. I need to get my runs in for the race—it’s not THAT hard :)

I’v been giving myself that pep talk too! And the one where I remind myself that I do this for ME because it makes me happy in the long run.

erigates says:

I loved this post-I do the same thing! On my long runs I tell myself to feel lucky to be out there, since I’ve experienced injury in the past and wanted to be running. Also, I always think of delivering my 2 babies naturally and think how HARD that was-the long run becomes easy in an instant, fun even compared to labor w/o meds! I just put in my longest run to date ( 20 miler) in preparation for my marathon in Oct. and I could not believe how I mentally could just repeat mantras and keep positive thoughts and I made it-I never would have even imagined running this far in my past-I was a sprinter in HS track. It was not that hard, you are right-it was doable w/ the training that I have been doing. Tomorrow I will set out for another long run and I hope I am able to keep this perspective. The feeling at the end makes it all worth it:)!

Holly says:

Hi,
    Just wanted to stop by and say how much I enjoy your blog. This post is JUST what I needed this morning. As I was reading through it, I was just smiling because I feel like He pointed me in this direction to come here to read this. :) AWESOME run! You ROCKED those 22 miles! And your son is adorable with his hot cocoa.

Holly- honestly comments like THIS are what keep me going everyday. Thank you sooooo much for stopping and taking the time to comment. He is pointing me in a new direction these days too and it’s so great to hear that He’s working in other people’s lives too. Hope you’re enjoying your weekend!

Liz says:

Way to go with the 22 miler! I did 20 yesterday for my Chicago training :) I loved this post. I try to keep that same perspective, especially lately, and I find it really pulls me thru what I think are the tough times. Have a great weekend!

I LOVE this post! 22 miles!? you Rock! I am in an injury prevention break right now at least for the weekend, but reading about other people’s runs really makes me motivated and focused! Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Tess says:

Thank you! I think we all have things that seem HARD until we get through them. SO I’m going to try to remember that WHILE going through them they are really NOT that hard!!! Happy, thankful weekend!!!!

Way to go on your 22 miler!!! I am so jealous of that scenery- I would have stopped to take pics of the seals too!! Thanks for this reminder…I thought about it a lot as I was running my 13.1 this morning (we ran the actual RW half course. fun times.) It really isn’t THAT hard. Although….I did have a lot going for me- great weather, great friends, great running skirt, legs felt good (thanks, strength/stretching class) But I do think there are some other non-running things I should try and apply this message to. Hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Not to be gross or anything, but how does the cabbage and squash not making you gasy? HA! I need to put more days in between my kabocha inhalation, because it makes me slightly gasy, but it tastes so darn good. Great job on the run and I love hearing how your runs are pain free these days. It makes me happy. Have a beautiful weekend! XOXO

That was an AWESOME post and just what I needed today :) Thanks!

I love the little one waving good bye! The whole post is great Kristin – so much to think about & learn from.. but I still go back to that one pic! :)

Bridget says:

Oh that is so funny reading this! We thought we were going to DIE drinking black coffee that first week! Hilarious! Then you think of people sitting for hours doing chemo treatments and you tell yourself “shut up!” Perspective.

Michelle Kim says:

Dang. Nice long run!! And all your healthy eats look so delicious. Have a good rest of your weekend!

Great post – I needed this last weekend before my birthday run which was HARD!!!

love this post!
    Just on Friday I posted about the quote “Do something today that your future self will thank you for.” I love that because, while in the moment, things may be difficult or undesirable to do, but doing it is exactly what we need to do, and then we’re thankful we did in the long run. Maybe it just all comes down to a bit of both self-discipline and self-love : )

Wow. Great post! I really like this perspective and it’s something that I keep in mind a lot too, although not in those exact words… but I will from now on because that’s just so dang precise and TRUE.

1. [...] you’re thinking of tackling starting tomorrow as a new goal or life change with the whole “It’s Not THAT Hard” [...]