Just One of Those Weeks, Planks and a Quest Creation

Hey!

So, yeah, now that it’s Wednesday and I’m still in a bit of a funk, I think it might just be one of those weeks.

Everyone has them, right? You just really don’t feel like doing anything. Work, laundry, working out, cooking, etc.

Maybe that means I need a vacation. Wouldn’t that be nice?

Ha.

Anyhoo……

Tuesday Workout:

Taught a BOSU class.

Ran 3 of the slowest miles in my life later on at home on the treadmill. I was supposed to do 7 miles with 4 of them at tempo pace. That just didn’t happen. It was just one of those days.

Wednesday Workout:

Taught a spin class.

Ran 9 miles on the treadmill afterwards. I think it was around average 8:10 pace or so. Slower at the start, then sped up a little each mile. It was tough. I worked hard mentally to just get in the running zone.

Random side note- those stupid calorie counters are so off. I wore my Polar RC3 GPS for my spin class and my run and the calories were still lower than what the treadmill said for my run only. Someone should really fix those for the poor people who rely on them.

Another side note. Yep, my race tag is still hanging tough on my Mizuno Elixirs. I’m going to see how long I can keep it one there.

And thank goodness for treadmills with TVs and Kelly and Michael and The View. That’s what saved me this morning.

So a few things have been going on over here that have needed a little more time and attention.

Yesterday I got to hang out with a close friend who I hadn’t seen in about 6 months. The boys were with us, but I figured we’d still have some quality mom to mom time to catch up and chat.

Things didn’t go quite as planned.

That right there is a toddler tantrum at it’s finest. In public. That’s how he rolls. At least he was wearing a helmet. Ha.

Oh my poor friend.

And this has been happening more often than it should with our other child.

He is supposed to stay in his bed all night. Lately sometime around 3 in the morning he comes in and refuses to go back to his room because he wants to “sleep on the pillows”.

Today is preschool picture day. This morning I finally decided to run a brush through their hair. (First time since school started. Mom of the year over here.)

Obviously we had to take pictures on the way to the car.

Obviously it did not go as smoothly as planned.

Obviously he didn’t see that coming.

Lovely.

I really hope they’re on their best behavior while at school.

So, yeah, things are just not really going as planned this whole week and I’m struggling a bit, but hey that’s okay. You do what you can with what you’ve got, right?

Yesterday, I may not have fit in the run I was supposed to, but I did do quite a few planks both in my BOSU class and afterwards.

Planks are one of the best core strengthening exercises you can do. They strengthen the rectus abdominus (the "six-pack muscles"), transverse abdominus, internal and external obliques, hips, and back. Yep, pretty much all your core muscles.

And, if you do them on a BOSU they’re just that much better.

If you need a modification you can always do planks on your knees and then build up to doing it on your toes.

Side planks are really great too because they target obliques and get more into the lower back. They also help strengthen the shoulders a bit.

You can modify the side plank too by putting your bottom knee on the ground. You can also make it more difficult by lifting your top leg.

Got 3 minutes? Do 1 minute of each plank.

Got 6 minutes? Do 2 minutes of each one or go through twice.

Just do what you can do. Your core will thank you.

Not sure if you’ve heard the news, but the new Quest Bar flavor is available today. Online only.

My absolute favorite Quest Bars are the Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough flavor (I like to bake them), but they do have sucralose in them. Sucralose doesn’t bother some people, but others stay away from it. I’ve been doing my best to stay away from it and most other artificial sweeteners ever since the whole STUFT detox thing.

This new Double Chocolate Chunk Quest Bar is sweetened with stevia and erythritol, NO sucralose.

I got a couple of sample bars send to me to test out so the pressure was on to create something really great.

I did my best.

I made some STUFT Quest Ball Cookies. (You know, because we’re all about STUFT balls here lately.)

I took a Double Chocolate Chunk bar and formed it into two little balls with a thumb hole in each one.

I baked them on parchment paper at 375 convection for 5-6 minutes.

Then I filled the holes with peanut free NuttZo and coconut butter.

I know, right?

The best protein cookie balls you’ve ever seen (and tasted).

They were a little crispy on the outside, but soft on the inside.

So cute. So scrumptious.

So nutty and delicious.

Good stuff.

Some people have asked where I buy Quest Bars. I buy them online here (*affiliate link). I’ve compared prices with other online retailers and they’re pretty much the same. Customer service is great from the direct site though and shipping is super speedy. I usually get my order the very next day.

I know they sell Quest Bars at GNC stores though too.

Okay, well, time to get the boys from school. We’re going to attempt to do some fall decorating today. We’ll see if that goes as planned. Something tells me it probably won’t.

Ha.

Have a good one!

Do you do planks?

Is anyone else in a bit of a funk this week? Or dealing with toddler tantrums?

Have any Quest Bar creations you want to share?

Comments

Jill C. says:

I’m definitely in a funk. I’ve just been SO tired in the early afternoons, I’m having a hard time falling asleep and then am struggling to get out of bed in the morning. I also feel like my stomach is an empty vessel; I’m so hungry even after a meal! I think it has to do with the weather change. I can’t wait until I adjust.

I am obsessed with planks…although I don’t look nearly as good doing them as you do!

morgan says:

I know its not funny to say your kiddo with the helmet made me laugh.. so I won’t say that 😉 so I will just say that these boys make my day smiley! and I CANNOT wait to get my hands on one of those new Quest Bars! Just used up the last Cookie Dough one (much to the chagrin of my hubs who thought he had dibs on it!) make tiny little “cookies”, oh and since this is a book comment- planks are the best! I love doing them in Bikram- the little sweat drops making Rorschach like blots on my towel make me smile (I know I weird!) sorry you are “funk-y” but your post brought me out of my afternoon funk so thanks 🙂

I am so jealous you got to try that bar! I burned the crap of the Banana Nut bar last night. Thought of you.

Candy says:

I just love you! Oh, and I am glad I don’t have a toddler anymore. But, 14 year old tantrums aren’t fun either. LOL. Love what you did with the Quest bar. I love the CCCD one baked, too. I just ordered the new DCC today. I am going to make those protein balls for sure. I made chocolate cherries with a brownie one and some frozen cherries and a little greek yogurt the other day. YUM! Planks rock, is it possible that a person doesn’t have abs, per se? I have been working on this body for 2 years. I feel and look great, flat stomach no ABS! anyway just complaining. Keep up the awesome work of loving and living.

Oh man, I can’t imagine 14 year old tantrums. Ugh. Your chocolate cherry creation sounds fabulous!!!! 🙂 The whole abs thing. Sometimes genetics come into play. 🙂 I’m jealous of your flat stomach. Have a good night Candy.

Apryle says:

I am glad to hear planks are such a good all around exercise. I have been doing them more lately and they sure are hard! It is not ever fair how relaxed and serene you look as you do them on a ball! I am sure I look like I am going to pop a vein in my forehead.
    I have been hearing from a lot of my mom friends how their preschool/kindergarten age kids are having melt downs right and left this past month. We have all decided it has to do with school and being over tired. It has happened with both of my kids but I think it will get better after they get more used to their new schedule. Good luck 🙂

I had “one of those weeks” last week… Never fun. Hang in there

I really despise side planks to be honest. They just feel…awkward. And hard!

Those quest bar creations looks AMAZING! I agree they need to fix the treadmill calorie counters! I have a simple polar heart rate monitor and when I have worn them they NEVER match!

Allyssa says:

I LOVE planks! I have used the BOSU but I have only used the flatter side of it, so I will have to try the other way! I’m sure it’s way harder! I also tried my first Qwest bar today and it was sooo delicious! I had the banana nut one, OMG!!! I’m in love 🙂 I didn’t know you could bake them! That seems like such a great idea! I can’t wait to see other recipes using those bars!

Erica says:

You know I’m so with you on struggling with running this week! Hopefully next week will be better! Ahhhh toddler tantrums, nothing like them. What do you think of Jenny on the view? I think I like it!

Amy b says:

Everything at gnc.com is 30% off today plus additional savings if you are a gold card member so it’s a great say to stock up on quest bars. Vita cost.com also has great prices on a box of bars plus one of the best prices on Nuttzo.

Kelly says:

Ugh, I’m in a major funk this week. :(. Thank you for your blog and positivity. Can we keep running until we get somewhere happy? 🙂

I do planks all of the time, and now I have started to modify them by added weights to my back! In fact, the plank was one of the few ab exercises I could continue doing the entire way through pregnancy, and one of the first you can do after delivery (regular crunches can be counter-intuitive for bringing your ab muscles back together at first, but the plank is generally a-okay!). YEAH PLANKS!

Nicole says:

I teach BodyPump and I hadn’t taught a class that incorporated planks in about two-three months. I brought them back about 3 weeks ago and whimpered my way through it the first two weeks. Teaching it this week (Tuesday, Wednesday), my abs felt strong for the first time in awhile! It just takes a little bit of time and repetition! (Like so many things in life, right?)

Michelle Kim says:

Totally going to do some of those bosu plank exercises 🙂
    And yeah, I’m having one of those weeks when I don’t want to do anything… low mileage… but I think it’s my body recovering from traveling last weekend. I know the workouts and energy will come around again. Have a good rest of the week!

Amie says:

Oh my gosh I can’t wait to try the new Quest flavor! I’m obsessed. I love doing planks- they are pretty much the only core exercise I do because I hate sit ups, haha

I am totally having one of those weeks and BEYOND READY for the weekend and a better next week. I know life could be a lot worse, but I’m over it. I almost do planks every day, they are SO GOOD for you. I need to get to the store this weekend to restock on kabocha and plantains. 🙂

Weeks like that can be tough – I guess it makes the less hard weeks seem all the better. Hope you get out this weekend to enjoy some beach solitude & renew!

Now OMG on that recipe! I have trouble with the sugar alcohols so the sucralose one is better for me… I can do the sugar alcohols but have to be minimal! 🙂

1. […] here for the original blog post from STUFT […]