Warning: Declaration of StatigramWidget::widget($args) should be compatible with WP_Widget::widget($args, $instance) in /var/www/app/wp-content/plugins/instagram-image-gallery/plugin.php on line 0
I Couldn’t Keep Up and Sweet Dumpling Squash

I Couldn’t Keep Up and Sweet Dumpling Squash

Well hello.

Happy Friday? How’s your day treating you so far?

I had another early morning running appointment with the doctor today. Yep, same time and same place as our last one.

Naturally I slept in past my 5 am alarm and was in a bit of a frantic state when trying to get out the door. Nice.

As soon as I got on the road I realized I forgot coffee. What the? Who forgets coffee before an early morning run? It’s only like the most important thing.

I made an emergency stop for an overpriced gas station coffee.

photo 1

And might I just add that gas station coffee is NOT good. Maybe I was at the wrong place, but it was hard to choke down. They fool you with the “cinnamon” description.

Anyhoo..

Only got there 15 minutes late. I was feeling a little off in the car. I had a hunch it was going to be a bit of a rough run.

We set out about 6:25 am.

photo 2

Gorgeous right?

Well, it was just one of those runs. I wasn’t feeling that great from the start. Couldn’t really do my job of entertaining Coach Jason that much since I was struggling. I actually kind of feel like I was a Debbie Downer a bit. Poor guy.

I did a good job of keeping my phone away though since I got yelled at the last time for taking pictures. I snuck one in at a bathroom stop though.

photo 3

Through a ziploc baggie. Not too shabby.

I do have to say that I really like running with someone else. I never really get a chance to do it, But, it just goes by faster. I wasn’t too much fun to be around today, but it’s nice just passing the time with someone else.

Jason does his long runs by time. He knows the pace he runs, so he sets out for a specific time rather than keeping track of miles on a GPS. Pretty cool. In fact I wish I could do that, but I have no sense of what kind of pace I’m running at or how to keep a steady pace.

My runs are pretty much the opposite.  I’m one that likes see those mile numbers. I set out to do a certain number of miles and tell myself it doesn’t matter how long it takes me, I’m getting those miles done. I guess the two of us make a good team.

We ran together 18 miles. Then he asked if I wanted to pick it up.

Um, no. It just wasn’t happening today.

I told him to go ahead without me since I had to do a few more miles than him anyway. He had a set time of 3 hours (about 20 miles) and I had to run 22 miles. He asked about 3 times if I was sure it was okay if he left me. I said yes.

photo 4

See ya. See him there in the green shorts? He left me in the dust.

I humbly put my happy face on and trotted along.

photo 2

The last four miles were slow and quiet. No music. Just thoughts.

photo 3

I got to run by a few new things though.

photo 4

I finally made it back.

photo 5

Not the run I wanted to do as my last really long run in my training plan for the MCM Marathon, but oh well. photo 3

That happens. I’m just thankful I made it. It’s actually pretty much a miracle that I’m able to run this much right now, so I’ll take it.

Oh and hey, yes, that’s coach Jason in the background kicking it in the bay with his ice cold water.

photo 2

I took a couple minutes to out my feet in the water before heading home.

photo 4

Was secretly hoping for a mini pedicure to magically happen at the same time. Ha ha.

Funny that now as I sit here I’m thinking that I should’ve picked up the pace or I should’ve done a little better. Why do we overanalyze like that? Why are we so hard on ourselves sometimes?

Silly silly.

Let’s focus on something fun now.

Like a new squash.

Ha ha.

I found these last night.

Sweet dumpling squash.

Obviously I just did what I normally do with all squash.

I cut it up and roasted it.

These squash are pretty small. The skin is edible just like the skin on kabocha squash.

It’s not as “dry” as the kabocha when roasted (at least the one today wasn’t).

It has a sweeter flavor. Similar to acorn squash. It reminded me a lot like a delicata. Creamy, corn-like flavor.

I roasted half of it plain with just a little pink sea salt and ate it with a “clean out the fridge” type egg scramble.

Yeah, I pretty much threw together anything I could find with my eggs- pork, cabbage and Costco kale salad.

I roasted the other half of the sweet dumpling squash like a roasted kabocha boat.

I stuffed it with some roasted Fuji apple slices and had some sweetener free roasted kabocha and a no grain apple microwave muffin to go with it.

Today’s topping were coconut butter and Artisana cashew butter.

Okay. I’m off.

I won’t bother you with daily nonsense over the weekend, but I DO have two very important recipes to share with you.

Which one do you want first?

The best PB2 chocolate chip cookies ever

or

the ginormous, healthy, no grain plantain cupcake?

*Don’t forget to enter the Reebok Nano Speed shoe giveaway!

Do you ever feel like you could have done better after a hard workout or run? Or had to tell someone to go ahead without you?

Do you like to run alone or with someone else?

Have you ever has sweet dumpling squash?

What recipe do you want first?

Can I ask any more questions right now?

Comments

Ashleigh says:

Definitely going to have to check out that squash! P.S. Your name should be Squash Mama!

Erica says:

Major mileage!! I want that cookie recipe!

Definitely the cookie recipe!

I like both—running solo and with someone. The trick for me is finding someone to run with that isn’t too fast or too slow! And I’m equally guilty of over analyzing my runs….and it’s usually negative self-talk. I hate that!!

Congrats on your long run!

Samantha says:

Cookies! Have a nice weekend. 🙂 Sam

Well, yes the cookie one although the other looks great too! I love that the squash gave such specific cooking directions on its label. I need that on all veggies please. 😉

I tried eggplant roasted for the first time yesterday….just so so….as I was eating it I was actually thinking I like beets better than eggplant. Totally different but have the sort of same purple color…oh, so random.

Oh, what I wouldn’t give to be able to run 10 miles pain free…its been raining here for the past two days and I feel like I must have arthritis in my hip (self diagnosis of course) for no apparent reason my hip was aching on Wednesday…but Thursday it started raining and its ached and rained ever since. Isn’t that a sign of arthritis ? Or old age?

Have a great weekend!

Love the randomness. He he. Darn it I want you to be able to run pain free too Kathy. Sending healing vibes your way. Darn hips. Have a good weekend!

Sometimes those runs happen…but you kept on and finished, and that is what’s important. I’ve told my friend to go ahead before. I try not to do that unless it’s really necessary, but, when it is, I don’t mind doing it. No shame. I wish I had some cold water to stand in after I run….that looks awesome!!
    Running with others for long runs is a must. Sometimes I appreciate my alone time, but running with others always makes it go faster. I’ve never had that squash, and of course I want the cookie recipe first!! 🙂

Jessica says:

Did you run 22 miles on an empty tummy? The furthest I have run is 6 miles so I don’t know anything about long runs, but that seems like it would be really hard!

Candy says:

Cookies please and thank you.

Bridget says:

What!??!? You did this run and then washed 40 people’s dishes??!

Natalie says:

I ran a 20-miler this morning and then proceeded to beat myself up because I had to run/walk the last 4 miles. The sun was brutal today.

I do 90% of my run solo but I enjoy the company of another person. It definitely helps pass the time and miles

MILF Runner says:

Given what you’re dealing with regarding the hips and prolotherapy saying anything disparaging about having run 22 miles is pure insanity and I can refer you to an excellent mental health professional.

I’m guessing your fatigue might be related to long-term lack of sleep which you mentioned the other day and what seems to my untrained but very experienced eye to be a lack of real substance in your diet. Squash and egg whites aren’t going to keep you going, lady. Not just as a runner. I have some ideas if you’re open to suggestions. You need to be feeling good from the inside out and really nourish your whole self. Wishing you the best!

Oh my….. I didn’t mean to say anything disparaging about having run 22 miles. I’m beyond thankful and blessed. And believe me, I eat my fair share of goodies other than squash and egg whites, I’m just usually with family and they aren’t big fans of me whipping out my camera to take pictures of food. They’re not big blog readers if you know what I mean. And…. I’ve finally been getting lots of sleep and man is it making a huge difference. 🙂

Diane says:

OK- been wondering this for a while…when you roast a squash, how do you do it?? In the oven?? Your recipes totally inspire me! I’m just an awful cook and would probably burn half the stuff I try 🙂 Congrats on the long run!! Gas station coffee is the worst!! UGH!!

I honestly have been trying to be easier on myself. I go out for my weekend runs & my plan is just to do it like always.. lately I have been slower & not because I am trying to be but that is the way it has been ending up & I am fine with it.. I just am glad I am out there & I take what I can get. I am not training for anything so… but as I get older & older, I just want to do what feels right vs. pushing myself all the time which I have done most of my life in the exercise realm.. I need to step back a bit.. does not mean I am not kicking it hard in the gym.. but outside on the weekend,, just tasking what I get & if it is fast or slow, I am fine. 🙂

Elizabeth says:

Remember when I introduced you to s.d. Squash like a year ago?? Hugs. E

1. […] taking it easy today after yesterday’s long run, but I did take some fun new HumanX AbX training toys to […]