Weekend Highlights and What I Eat Before a Long Run- The Plantain Egg-rito

No running Saturday. In fact, not much of anything and it was pretty darn nice.

Workout Sunday was a bit scattered. I got a very short easy run in first thing in the morning and then another one in late in the afternoon on the treadmill while I watched a Gossip Girl episode. Some days it’s all about just fitting it what you can when you can, right?

photo 4

(I’m not letting this pair of Wave Sayonara shoes outside yet- they’re too pretty and clean. Does anyone else do that?)

Andrew and I went to a charity benefit dinner Saturday night with his family.

photo 1

I don’t dress up very often. I think I wear the same dress 99% of the time actually. It’s only 6 years old. Ha ha.

Someone asked recently if I eat dessert.

Yes, yes I do. Not real dessert all the time, but when I do it’s usually with family when we have a fun event going on or something. I figure that I make them suffer enough with bloggy stuff, so I try to keep my phone and camera away when we’re all spending time together so not much of those eats make it on here.

I snuck in a picture Saturday night at our event though.

photo 2

Sunday was all about spending time with the boys. We organized a bazillion toys (tried to anyway), took loads of stuff to Goodwill and a major highlight of the day (besides wearing Daddy’s flip flops),

photo 3

was that we found 3 chicken eggs.

photo 1

That’s right. 3. We’re raking them in these days. Ha ha.

I guess some of us have mixed feelings about it.

photo 5photo

Yes, miraculously all three eggs made it in the house and safely to the fridge.

Another highlight of the weekend was this bargain.

photo 3

(instagram)

Oh heck yes, we stocked up. Thank you Sprouts.

And you should know that there are no more of these cookies left in the house.

They went quick.

So my go to pre run meal lately.

So I guess some runners can have coffee and head out the door for a long run without eating anything. That’s not me. I pretty much need to eat a little something before any kind of a run in the morning, even if I’m doing it first thing and I’m not running too far.

Lately I’ve been eating the same thing before every long run.

It’s a plantain egg-rito.

Weird, yes, I know, but it has a lot of easily digestible carbs, protein and fat and so far it’s been working for me. If I don’t have plantains, I do the same thing with a banana.

Here’s how it goes.

Plantain Egg-Rito

Heat 1-2 teaspoons of coconut oil in nonstick skillet.

Add a plantain (or banana) sliced lengthwise in pan with a little cinnamon.

Let it get a little brown and soft, then flip it over to cook other side.

Add 1/2-3/4 cup egg whites (or 1-2 eggs) and a little more cinnamon.

Turn over and cook the other side again to make sure eggs are cooked and the plantain (or banana) gets a little caramelized.

Place on a plate and fold it over. It’s not about looks, it’s about taste.

It takes just a couple minutes to make this.

Here’s what it looks like.

Why yes, more often than not it gets burned over here. And yes, I know this does not look that great, but I’m usually whipping it together at 5 am before heading out for a long run so I really don’t care about the appearance.

I’m getting pretty darn good at scarfing these down on the road.

I’m not sure how easy it will be to whip up one of these when I’m traveling to some races in a couple weeks for Mizuno Marathon Mezamashii Week, but I’m sure I’ll figure something out. Hmmm…..

Okay, let another week begin.

Holy cow.

Do you eat before a morning run?

Do you have a go to meal you eat before a long run?

Did you find any great bargain over the weekend?

Comments

I MUST eat before I run. I must eat basically within an hour of waking up since I always wake up starving. I usually go with oatmeal mixed with berries and/or banana with or without peanut butter (depends on my mood). I occasionally switch it up but then I question why the heck I did that. lol

No bargains here…..except I did get some free Panera Bread bagels from a guy at work and when I brought them home the kids were all over them….did I let them just have them? NOooo, I made liver for supper instead and told them IF they wanted a bagel they MUST eat liver. DONE! All 3 ~ even picky 10 yr. old boy~ had liver for supper. ;-) (And a bagel for dessert. ha! )

Side Note: Your name came up in conversation yesterday too….my girls and hubby volunteered at the Twin Cities 10 mile and Marathon with the CC high school team….one of the lead ladies running the marathon passed with …..according to the girls….”brown crusted and runny stuff down her leg and it even stained her shorts!!! It was gross mom!!”….hahaha!! Which made me think of you and when you may put on a boys pull-up before a marathon….so I shared that “I guess she forgot her pull-up.” The girls were all shocked that a woman would wear a pull-up running!!! hahaha!

Have a good one!

haha it looked like one of the boys was about to throw down that egg!! glad all three made it back safely! :) :) when i was running, my go-to breakfast of long runs was oatmeal with nut butter, cinnamon, and honey! and bananas!

Erica says:

hahah- your boys crack me up. Their expressions!! Those shoes are pretty -don’t blame you for keeping them inside. We tried to organize Kay’s toys a bit this weekend too…ugh….time for a goodwill trip for us too.

MIZ says:

OOOH we have been all about the EGGRITOS lately—but sans plantain.
    must try.
    and then not run :-)

Allyssa says:

I hate getting pretty new shoes dirty! It’s one of the (many) reasons I hate running in the rain.

purelytwins says:

perfect way to enjoy eggs and plantains ;)

Lisa says:

Your boys are too hilarious.
    You and Andrew look like such a beautiful couple all glammed up!
    Oh yes on the bargains! I went to the market, and they were having kabocha squash 1/2 off!! You better bet I took 2 trips to my car to fill it up. It was slightly embarrassing but I don’t mess around when it comes to kabocha.

I found 6 cans of organic pumpkin at Costco for $7.99! :) I always eat oatmeal with fruit, chia seeds, and nut butter before long runs. Depending on how early my morning run is, I sometimes just chug some coffee, water, and head out the door, but this is only for shorter ones. I need to make this RECIPE. Going to pick up more plantains this week at the store. NOM NOM!

I always have PB toast before long runs and races. Shorter runs it really depends on time, sometimes I’ll have toast, sometimes a bar. But yeah, I gotta have something in my stomach! I wish I could be one of those people who could run on an empty stomach, but nope.

Best deal I got this weekend was at the San Jose RNR expo, I scored some jaybird wireless headphones for
    $40 off! I was so stoked cause I’ve been wanting these for awhile.

So have you eaten those fresh eggs yet?

No – I never eat before a morning run!
    In fact, I’m sort of freaking out about my race this weekend since it starts at 6 pm – not sure what I’m going to eat during the day to get ready!!!

Allyssa says:

I very much need to eat before I run, no matter if it is a long or a short run. I can’t eat anything too heavy though beforehand otherwise it doesn’t sit well in my stomach, depending on how long I wait before I run. I am so jealous of your chickens! I want some so bad! I’m glad your boys didn’t end up throwing or dropping them, I bet it would be pretty tempting for boys of any age haha

I like to have coffee and a few bites something – a banana, half a clif bar, a piece of toast – before I run.

Life would be no fun without real dessert! ;)

That Egg-rito sounds amazing!

O so don’t take new shoes out for a while cause I get them dirty in about 2 days even in the gym! ;)

Yahoo for desserts! I do love though that you try to keep the camera away for certain things!

Wow. I’m impressed that the eggs made it inside. With each shot I was expecting to see a broken egg yolk on the ground. Ha.

MILF Runner says:

I love getting my shoes dirty! Not wet, though. Do you ever eat the yolks? There’s so much good stuff in them! I no longer eat eggs. I found out recently that I am egg-intolerant which sucks because I love them. What do you eat regularly…that you don’t photograph? It seems like so many plantains, kabochas and egg whites! What do you do for variety? Why do you put cinnamon on everything? Do you ever roast chicken with your vegetables? I’m just super curious because I, myself, have a really monotonous diet due to a ridiculous number of doctor-diagnosed food-intolerances and -sensitivities and I’m going CRAZY!

I only like the yolks when they’re runny and for the life of me I can’t cook them well myself. LOL. I’ve never liked hard boiled yolks, even as a kid. Makes me cringe. Wish I liked them. I actually take pictures of things I eat regularly, but it’s the special occasion things that don’t really make the blog. I use a lot of cinnamon because I don’t use that much sweetener anymore.
      Darn food intolerance for you. I’m so sorry. That can’t be fun.
      What’s your favorite thing right now?

• MILF Runner says:

Roasting chicken with carrots and onion and zucchini has been enjoyable. Salads with leftover chicken, pumpkin seeds, avocado, tomato, grapes and “safe” dressing. I made gluten-free, egg-free, dairy-free, potato-free chocolate chip cookies the other day that were AMAZING. They looked and tasted and felt like the “real” thing! I think THEY were my favorite!

I read this post completely regarding the difference of hottest and preceding technologies, it’s awesome article.

1. [...] did my usual taking my time to get ready thing before leaving the house and headed out with my plantain egg-rito and [...]