It’s a Bit Chilly Here in DC and I’m Running on Emotion

How are you?

(I had every intention of getting this up earlier today, but it just didn’t happen.)

So, yep, I’m in DC. It’s a bit chilly here friends. Seriously. Right now I have a few minutes and am huddled in my bed with my Mizuno Compression pants on sipping some tea and Beavis, I can’t get warm. I’m a little worried about tomorrow. I wonder if I should run in a full body suit. Hmmm….

Anyhoo…..

Started carbing up on the way to the airport yesterday.

Oops. A little too close for a selfie. Ha ha.

Speaking of carbs, I mentioned that I brought some with me in my last post. I choose the easiest ones to pack of course.

Roasted purple sweet potatoes

and a no grain plantain cupcake loaf (just doubled the recipe).

I was a little worried how they’d do on the flight in my small carry on bag.

2013-10-25 12.11.46

Okay so not so small. More like 4 bags in one, but fit like a glove under the seat. Ha ha.

One in flight picture just because I took it.

Well, my baked goodies made it and I was back to my usual travel antics last night once I finally got to the hotel.

Yep. I picked up a quick dinner from downstairs and then did the whole pajama eating in bed while watching Modern Family reruns. Friday nights are getting crazy.

Purple Pro Compression (I wore them for the flight too) to go with my purple sweet potato.

He he.

This morning we were up bright and early to meet the rest of the Runner’s World Challenge crew for a little shake out run.

2013-10-26 07.14.57

I’m not going to lie, I totally felt like I was part of the cool club meeting the Runner’s World staff in the lobby to catch a cab to the run. Just trying to fit in. Ha.

Obviously I noticed pretty quickly that a couple of us had great taste in running footwear.

2013-10-26 07.25.10

Runner’s World had a cute little set up with some treats for the challengers at the meeting place.

2013-10-26 07.56.482013-10-26 07.31.292013-10-26 07.29.22

Oh, hey, look who I just happen to bring with me in my pocket for the run. And he had the nerve to beg for snacks before we even started running. Funny guy.

2013-10-26 07.30.02

Ha ha.

Dang, it was cold out there. I was very thankful I decided to wear three layers and that I got these BioGear BG5000 compression pants from Mizuno just the other day.

They were a life saver this morning

2013-10-26 07.33.47

and right now actually since I’m currently still wearing them.

It was cold, but man was a beautiful morning.

2013-10-26 07.33.592013-10-26 07.33.292013-10-26 07.34.32

Oh hey, you know, just hanging with David Willey, Runner’s World editor-in-chief, Mark Remy, author of the always entertaining Runner’s World column “Remy’s World” and Megan, Runner’s World reporter while waiting for the real Bart Yasso to show up.

2013-10-26 07.31.062013-10-26 07.36.01

I also met the nicest fellow RW Challenger Susie who’s running tomorrow.

2013-10-26 07.58.11

Bart got there and I’m pretty sure he was excited about my little coach friend I brought along,

2013-10-26 07.55.26

Then he gave us one of his welcome talks.

2013-10-26 07.59.37

See. He was cold too.

Jen Van Allen, who is seriously amazing and takes care of every single person who is a part of the Runner’s World Challenge (from the first time marathoners to the experienced speedy ones), gave us some motivational words of wisdom also.

2013-10-26 08.01.27

Oh and before we took off on our run, I found my long lost pal Robert (attempting to chase him down the entire race last year at the Runner’s World Half Marathon got me a PR).

2013-10-26 07.53.45

If I feel up to it, I might try to chase him down tomorrow too, but I doubt it. He’s darn fast.

We set out for three miles.

2013-10-26 08.05.03

You’ll have to excuse the black spots in the pictures. My hands were barely functioning and there was no way that glove was coming off.

2013-10-26 08.10.092013-10-26 08.11.462013-10-26 08.13.512013-10-26 08.19.292013-10-26 08.20.042013-10-26 08.20.132013-10-26 08.20.18

David Willey was kind enough not only to stop and take a picture with me during our run, but to also point out all the amazing historical spots along the route. I learned a lot in just 30 short minutes.

2013-10-26 08.21.002013-10-26 08.26.322013-10-26 08.29.05

WE made it back and I had to take another picture with both my coaches together.

2013-10-26 08.39.34

I’ll recap the rest of the day later, but since I was supposed to post this about 7 hours ago, I’ve leave it at that.

Right now it’s time to make sure I have a plan of action for tomorrow, get out my race outfit and get some shut eye.

One thing David Willey told me earlier today was that last year he ran this race on emotion, rather than long training runs. It’s the only race he’s done like that, but he said it was an awesome experience.

I have a lot of things to run on and for tomorrow……

but I have a really strong feeling that my overwhelming emotions of just being here (I’ve already almost cried like 5 times) and being physically able to run, to live my dream, to praise the Man above, to have this opportunity to give it my all for my main men and the rest of the family that have made sacrifices for me to be here……

will be my driving force.

2013-10-26 08.20.29

I don’t care about my time at this point. I just want to finish and be able to say that I’m back in it. I want to show hip dysplasia who’s boss. It can slow me down, but it can’t stop me.

As Jen Van Allan said earlier today to all of us challengers, it doesn’t matter what the time clock says, when you cross that finish line you will forever be a marathoner. It’s your victory lap to celebrate all the miles you’ve done this far.

Time to celebrate. Time to conquer weekend number two of STUFT Mezamashii Month.

Let’s do this MCM Marathon.

Good luck to everyone else racing out there. Give it your all.

And heck, if you’re not racing, well, just give life your all.

I’ll see you on the other side friends.

A huge thank you to Runner’s World, the Runner’s World Challenge and Mizuno for giving this crazy mama such an amazing opportunity.

Mizuno PicMonkey CollageChallengeSideBySide35

Comments

Oh friend, I’m so happy for you! You will do great tomorrow! Get some rest and I can’t wait to hear how it goes! xoxo

Go Mama!! It’s going to be great!! Can’t wait to hear all about it.

Laura P says:

Good luck tomorrow, can’t wait to hear how it goes!

Courtney says:

Goid luck! I know how you feel about the cold- ran MCM a few years ago and I was freeeeeezing at the start! I jumped around a lot to stay warm and called it my warm up! Have a great run, enjoy the amazing history and sights along the course. Can’t wait to see how amazing you do!

Jennifer mykytiuk says:

Oh man your pictures are amazing and make me so want to run it! Drew Cary ran MCM a few years ago and got hypothermia at the end. I am so excited for you! I am getting emotional just thinking about you running a marathon again!! I will say a little prayer for you in the morning. Good luck and have a blast! Can’t wait to hear all about it!

Karlie Cunningham-lloyd says:

Goodluck and remember the advice you gave me….. One step at a time!

Love this….so much emotion in it…but, I absolutely LOVE that you got BART Y. to take two photos with flat Bart….and his facial expressions on the photos are too cute…like he is kind of proud and happy to be holding flat Bart.

Kristin you are a hoot…I see why they love ya too…for many reasons!

erin says:

erin says:

Good luck tomorrow-can’t wait for your recap:-) I know you will be fabu! You are SO amazing and inspiring-I just finished my first last week and WOW is all I can say crossing the finish line was the best feeling ever:-) you got this-and I did channel my child birth pain in the last few miles to put my current pain in perspective, it worked pretty well:-)

Kelli says:

This is beautiful! I am rejoicing with you! So glad you are able to be there and punch hip dysplasia in the face! You got this…keep running :)

Smiling over here reading this. So happy for you girl! You work hard and you reap the results right? Hugs pretty lady!!

Tess says:

Best Wishes and Enjoy the experience!!!

As always, your gratitude for the run is so inspiring! You’re running right now, and I’m sure you’re CRUSHING it!! Can’t wait to see the recap!!

Wishing you a wonderful run this morning! I hope it was a bit warmer or at least that you adjusted to the temps here on the East Coast- even I was freezing Friday and Saturday but felt a bit more used to it this morning. Can’t wait to hear how the marathon went for you!

Amy Zirkle says:

Hope you are having a grand time in DC and enjoying the glorious – albeit chilly – weather!

jrm says:

Good luck tomorrow! Have you thought about wearing a hat? I have no idea how that would feel for the duration but it’d keep you warm.

By now you have already finished your race – I hope it was awesome (and pain-free!). Can’t wait to hear all about it!

I hope the race was a success and looking forward to hearing your recap….What a beautiful day you had! XOXO

Hannahp75 says:

Congratulations on the MCM! I really needed to read this and thank you for it. I ran the Chicago this year and it was my first marathon. A month out from it, I had peroneal nerve palsy and ended up with foot drop-complete paralysis. I still muddled through the race. Tanked pace and time. But I was so thankful I was able to be a part of it. Reminds me to go back to why I started. You know, I still don’t consider myself a runner. I know it’s weird. But I always associated a runner to be born that way and can run at the drop of a hat. I can’t. Every step and every mile is run because of God and unless I’m in that place from the beginning of the run, I won’ t make it through. Thank you for writing and sharing your thoughts.

I reading Jesus is Calling as well!!!! I love it!!!!

Susie says:

Kristin! So glad you made it home safely and I am so so glad to have met you this weekend! I would love to freeze my patootee off with you anytime!

1. [...] I won’t get all sappy, since I feel like I’ve done a little too much of that lately, but I ran on emotion (Just as the wise David Willey suggested) today. That’s for [...]

2. [...] first wore them here when I was in DC with the Runner’s World [...]