Good Behavior, Red Cups, the Dentist and a Trader Joe’s Find

Happy Friday!

I’m so darn thankful for a Friday that didn’t involve a long training run or traveling across the country.

Speaking of, I’m trying to really rest while I can since there are some big things coming up in the near future I need to be sure I’m ready for. Gotta be smart (or try to) while I can, yes?

I had a prolotherapy treatment appointment early this morning so I got out of the house a little early so I could go for an easy 4 mile run close to the doctor office. (Confession- we were also out of milk at home so I knew it was best to get out of the house ASAP before everyone realized that.)

I woke up hungry and took a random snack of leftover pork from yesterday and an apple for the road. Not the easiest to eat, but kind of a fun combination to tide me over until breakfast.

2013-11-01 06.33.03

It was nice to just be out to run without any time or mileage goals. I had about 40 minutes so just jogged around a bit and took some fun pictures.

2013-11-01 07.20.362013-11-01 07.25.362013-11-01 07.26.342013-11-01 07.49.172013-11-01 07.50.082013-11-01 07.50.412013-11-01 07.51.48

Does it feel like we just went on a run together? Ha ha.

So yeah, I had my final prolotherapy appointment today. It was kind of a follow up after my 8 treatments. I can’t believe my first appointment was at the beginning of June and I couldn’t even walk without pain. Crazy how far things have come since then.

After my last two less than comfortable injections, my doctor turned me loose saying “one your own good behavior”. I warned him that I do not have a history of behaving well, but I’m working on changing my ways.

One thing he did say to stay on top of was taking glucosamine supplements. He specifically recommended these DONA Crystalline Glucosamine Sulfate tablets that I bought from Amazon.

I will do as he says.

I felt bad about the whole not having any milk in the house thing so made sure to come home bringing goodies for the family.

2013-11-01 09.07.51

I tried the new Thanksgiving Blend instead of my usual Venti Americano. Not sure that was the best choice. I wasn’t hugely impressed. But, it was fun drinking out of the first red cup of the year.

I know, crazy right? The red cups are back! What the?

Went for the normal egg white scramble with spinach at home with some sweet dumpling squash. I microwaved it instead of roasting it to save some time. Again, not sure that was the best choice, but oh well.

2013-11-01 09.42.51

Not that you care, but we all went to the dentist today (everyone except STUFT Daddy).

First we sold all our Halloween candy from last night. Wait, not all, most of it. We picked out a few of our favorites to keep around.

2013-11-01 11.05.29

Our dentist pays pretty well, $1 a pound and sends the candy to the troops.

2013-11-01 11.08.30

We took our earnings and then put on a brave face for cleaning.

2013-11-01 11.10.322013-11-01 11.42.332013-11-01 11.39.56

We survived, thank goodness. I’m not sure if it was the big bucks,

2013-11-01 11.12.162013-11-01 11.12.41

the TVs in the ceiling

2013-11-01 11.41.032013-11-01 11.39.53

or getting to pick out a toy from the toy chest afterwards.

2013-11-01 11.57.51

Ha ha. Good times.

We made a pit stop at Trader Joe’s on the way home.

We still needed milk and some more “green balls”- these spinach and kale bites that the boys love and a brussel sprouts stalk.

2013-11-01 12.52.03

We may or may not have caused a minor stalk falling issue as we were trying to find the one with the most sprouts on it. Oopsies.

I was super excited when I spotted these bags of shredded collards.

2013-11-01 12.19.57

Not sure what exactly I’m going to do with them yet, but everything is better when it’s shredded right?

Okay, enjoy your weekend! Make sure to find time to rest, relax and be in the moment with the ones you love. Those are our big plans.

Well, that and a date night tonight with Modern Family, fish tacos and a lot of date night guacamole. You know, the norm. He he.

Good luck to everyone running The New York Marathon this weekend!

Have you had your first red cup yet?

What are your plans for the weekend?

Any favorite recent finds at Trader Joe’s?

Comments

Ashley says:

Always love reading your posts (especially since the food pictures make me drool every.time.—will you come drive 30-45 minutes every day for me to make me breakfast?! Hah kidding!)

Had my first red cup today actually, and scored some boxes of pumpkin bread mix from trader joes this morning 🙂 love the smell of pumpkin!

Have a blessed weekend!

I haven’t had my first red cup of the season yet, but it is coming VERY soon!!

We are actually going to be traveling for the next TWO weeks. My husband has 5 residency interviews in VA and NC over the next 2 weeks so we are traveling all over the place. We leave early tomorrow and I think I am already tired before it has even begun! Wish I was running NYC though!

Tess says:

Yah Red Cup! I got the grande Thanksgiving blend too. And yeah I agree…..meh! Ethiopia Sidamo and Anniversary blends are the two I’ve had recently and really enjoyed. But I am all about the holidays so I had to give the Thanksgiving one a try. I’m glad all got the pearly whites cleaned. Don’t you just love to rub your tongue across newly dentist cleaned teeth. Great thing to do the day after HALLOWEEN!!!!!

Katie says:

i haven’t had my first red cup yet, although I did have Starbucks this morning. It’s still pretty warm in Orlando, so I went for an iced skinny vanilla latte 🙂 That’s so awesome that your dentist collects the candy – what a great idea!

Erica says:

What a perfect morning! I think its too early for the red cups! But im never ready for fall/winter :). Good job boys! I want to try those kale bites!!

lacey says:

our favorite goodies from Trader Joe’s is there frozen chicken fingers and there cinnamon rolls. I only limit myself to a quarter of one cinnamon roll because they are quite possibly the best I’ve ever had. 100 times better than pillsbury. I love shopping there but mainly all i get is stuff for my husband.

UGH…Red Cups go away…let me enjoy Thanksgiving and the preparation of being ~ in the moment ~ of being THANKFUL!

I can’t imagine running around so much cacti …. I would be concentrating on seeing or not seeing snakes too much though.

Today is the STATE CC MEET for my daughter and her team!!! Last year she went as a 7th grader (alternate) for the team but, this year she is top 7 and running….she just left to meet the bus and now its time to get ready and cheer her on. So excited!!! (We even relaxed last night by watching Prefontane…amazing guy such a sad way to end.)

Looks like it was a beautiful run! Love the cacti. I am running a half tomorrow-looking forward to it. 🙂
    I’ve not had my first red cup yet….not sure if I am ready for that. Lol. Guess I have to accept winter is coming!

Adrienne says:

No red cup yet! I am waiting for the first snowfall here in NY.
    Our orthodontist pays $2 a lb for the Halloween candy. My kids make out like bandits every year. Crazy!
    This just goes to show how much we over pay for a perfect smile.

MJ says:

Unfortunately, I had to give up coffee (ulcer) so my DH is on red cup duty. Usually Tgiving blend isn’t that great, it’s Christmas blend that can rock (or not, depending on year). I do wish they’d wait until after Tgiving to go red cup tho. One holiday at a time.

What’s in the spinach/kale bites? Are they gluten, grain,dairy free? Haven’t seen them near me.

Smart program by your dentist!!

Have you taken glucosamine before and found this to be the best? I’ve taken veg glucosamine (was avoiding iodine in shellfish type) and have started taking one that has MSM in it also. Can’t really tell if it helps me so I might be willing to try another. Also, my DH has osteoarthritis in his knee (and a bone spur) so anything that’s more effective might be worth a try for him. We both take so many supplements though, it’s hard to tell. What it costs per day to maintain me w/ all the meds/supplements I take is just astounding.

Shame when a fave food is just a little off (like your squash or my recent kabocha) – disappointing when it takes so much time and effort (and $) to shop for the good stuff and prepare it. Ah well.

MJ says:

Forgot to ask – what was your injury, and is it coming back? (is that why you’ve returned to prolotherapy – and would you say that’s helped you?)

Natalie says:

I had my first red cup this morning after a 3 mile run with some friends.

The hubs and I are having date night tonight and then football with the family tomorrow!

I love that your dentist buys the kids’ candy! Such a great idea.

I am so going to check out the glucosomine. I already take one with MSM & chondroitin but going to research yours! I know – spelling but too lazy to change – got to get moving.

Love the kiddos & the selling of candy to go to the troops – I hope they have good dentists over there! 🙂

Congrats on moving forward & try to be ob good behavior! 😉

Anita says:

Trading $$ for candy and shipping the goodies off to the troops? You have to coolest dentist! I walked past my first red cup of the season today … as tempting as it was I had to remind myself the ‘Bucks give me a uber yucky tummy for a day or two and I’m running a 10k tomorrow morning.

Casey says:

Just had my first red cup this weekend! Skinny Vanilla Latte 🙂

1. […] wheat pasta with our favorite marinara sauce, those “green balls” from Trader Joe’s, roasted cauliflower and ground turkey meat cooked with Italian […]