Ready For A Monday, a Little Racing Sign-Up Binge and Running Motivation

Oh, why hello.

Happy Monday.

Sunday’s Workout:

12 miles on my old rusty treadmill at home. About an 8:20 pace for most of them.

2013-11-03 11.12.58

I hadn’t planned on doing that many but once I was on there I just kept going. It felt good to run and I was just so darn inspired by everyone who was running the NYC Marathon.

Dang, I really want to run that someday. Adding it to my bucket list.

Um, and yeah, seeing all the marathon pictures on instagram also kind of threw me into a race sign-up binge.

Not really what I had planned for Sunday evening, but sometimes you just have to give in.

Ha.

Before I get to sharing the race registration damage I did, here’s just a few other random things that went down yesterday.

I may have consumed my last kabocha in the house sweetener free roasted kabocha style along with roasted plantains (and coconut butter and chocolate NuttZo),

I have no plans on buying any more this week. I’m going to see just how long I can go without any in the house. Living dangerously.

I didn’t do too great with the whole Grain Brain Challenge thing yesterday. In fact, to be honest, I just didn’t do well at all. It was just one of those days.

One really fabulous snack I had though was this pack of wasabi cashew crunchies I got from Sprouts recently.

Um, yeah. They were awesome. They also had sugar in them and are not Grain Brain approved (as were quite a few other food choices of mine). Oh well. That’s what Mondays are for, yes? Time to regroup a little bit.

Speaking of, there’s a new 21 Day Sugar Detox starting today. They have a lot of communication and support on the 21 Day Sugar Detox Facebook Page. You can also sign up for the daily emails here and/or download the six page daily success log (which is new).

It’s a good time to bite the bullet and take it on before the holidays and all.

It was great to be home for a change on a Sunday. The boys and I took full advantage of having time to just hang out around the house.

I lost count of how many “knock knock” jokes we told and they were very excited to show me their new tricks on the swings.

2013-11-03 14.43.07

We were so busy just spending time together that I didn’t feel like doing anything great for lunch for them. They love these quesadillas from Trader Joe’s so that’s what I slaved over. Ha ha.

It was just one of those days.

The cute Abbie, who I ran with for most of the MCM Marathon, sent me this picture her mom took of us in action during the race.

photo

I’m not sure what mile we were at, but I’m not looking like I was having much fun. Abbie looks pretty happy though even though I know her poor legs were hurting. She’s darn tough. Actually, the closer I look at this picture, Abbie is the only one who looks like she’s enjoying herself. Ha ha.

So yeah, speaking of races, I had a little, um, shall we call it “binge”, on signing up for a few races just now.

Just trying to extend the whole STUFT Mizuno Mezamashii Month a little more.

Here’s what I’ve got going down on the schedule.

We’ve got a HUGE weekend coming up.

Disney Wine & Dine Half Marathon with FItFluential and Mizuno.

image

I’m not going to lie. I’m nervous. Like really nervous about this one. I’ve never done a Disney Race or been to Walt Disney World. Eeeekkkkkkk!!!!! If you have any tips, please share. I’ll take any advice. Seriously. Am I supposed to dress up all cute and Disney-like? Run is costume or something? Help me!

Big Sur Half Marathon on Monterey Bay 11/17/13

image

Athleta Iron Girl Del Mar Women’s 10K 12/8/13

image

Carlsbad Marathon 1/19/14

Mermaid Half Marathon San Diego 2/8/13

image

*If you want to run with me (pretty please come and run with me), use code stuftmama10 for a 10% discount to register here.

And…….

Boston Marathon 4/21/2014

Woo hoo!!!!!

Not on the schedule, but I’m dreaming BIG about doing another Runner’s World Challenge event. I already miss it. I especially want to do the Disney Dopey Challenge 1/10-1/12/14. Also dreaming about the Boston 2 Big Sur Challenge and being able to do the full Big Sur Marathon since I had to pull out of both races last year because of my injury. I’ve got some making up to do. Chances are slim to none, but I’m a big dreamer and that won’t stop me from giving it my all to try to make it happen.

And…….

here’s a little Monday running motivation to share.

The other weekend at the Runner’s World Festival where we ran the Runner’s World Hat Trick, Altra put together a really cool video titled “Running Is…….”.

We had to write what running was to us. I’m in the video right at 1:11 talking for like 2 seconds. I’m sure you can guess my answer. Ha.

Here’s the video.

What is running to you?

Oh, and not sure if you saw all this Runner’s World article on people getting to run on a treadmill at Ryan Hall’s Olympic pace.

People Running Ryan Hall’s Marathon Pace on a Treadmill

Pretty cool set up. Here’s this video sample of it in action.

How fast is that?

Dang I want to try that. I bet I’d last about 30 seconds or so. Ha ha.

And finally friends…

There’s NO failure as long as you keep moving.

[source]

Not to say that some steps we take might be the wrong direction, but there is no failure. Just life lessons and opportunities for us to grow.

We can always find our way back to the right path. Sometimes it just takes a little longer than others.

2013-11-03 19.45.17

Have a good one!

Anyone have the 21 Day Sugar Detox Book or doing the detox starting today?

What was the best snack you had over the weekend?

Have and Disney race tips or advice? (I’m so nervous!)

What’s on your race schedule?

Comments

I wanted to do a Disney World race but got sold out! You will have best time. Disney can be a bit overwhelming but whenever I go, I go with the mindset of – this is a vacation, I don’t need to get to everything and I try to pace myself. When my son was young, it worked fine since he didn’t know what he was missing if I chose to skip something lol. Just try and relax and tell yourself you don’t need to see everything immediately. In my opinion, as long as you hit Magic Kingdom, you are golden.

Though I don’t think it’s required, I know if I ever do a Disney race I will totally dress up. Here are some easy ideas you could throw together this week:

I have a 10k, a few 5k’s, and then am looking into spring half marathons. Don’t think I can swing a trip to the West Coast in Dec. or Jan. to join you for any of those races. Wish I could!!! 🙂

Awesome schedule! I have one half on my schedule and nothing else. Apparently planning a wedding has interferred with planning my races 🙂

You are bringing the family right? Don’t just do rides….make sure you check out the time of the shows too. We saw Mickey’s 3D show at Magic Kingdom (I think) and it was fun….the Beauty and the Beast show was amazing. And I hear if you go to Animal Kingdom their Lion King show is WONDERFUL!!

The actors are top notch..and even the parades that come through two times during the day are great….yea, we loved it all which is why we are going back January 15th!!! So much to see and do you just can’t do it all but then you can come back!!!

Bethp262 says:

Disney races are a blast! I have done a bunch of them. I do not dress up for them although it is so fun to see all the people that do! I am currently registered for the Dopey Challenge. Can’t wait! I have done the Goofy before (the half and the full) and it was awesome. (Just hoping my hip cooperates—still dealing with something there…grrrr!)
    Your race schedule looks fantastic!

Dulcy says:

I’m starting the detox today,p! Also good luck on the no kobo ah…I finally got to try one they are yummy!

Erin says:

I am beyond jealous of your race schedule! I really wanted to sign up for a half at the end of this month, but with something going on with my knee I don’t think that will happen. There is a half in February (brrr) that I am going to sign up for and another full in the spring, though I haven’t decided on which one yet. Enjoy all of your racing, especially Disney!

Danielle says:

I love how you go into this big deal about resting and treating your body like you were in an accident etc etc……and then you essentially run a half marathon on the treadmill. LOL.

Oh Danielle- well, I did rest for 6 whole days. I know it may come across weird and I hadn’t planned on running that long. It just felt good on my legs. My mileage for the week was less than 1/3 of my normal. I’m trying. Lots of my friends raced both marathons two weekends in a row. I bet they’re hurting a bit. 🙂 Happy Monday!

I have always wanted to do a disney race! Every time we see them at a marathon expo I always tell my husband we need to do one of them, but we have never done it! Will love to hear what you think of it!

Ashley L. says:

Awesome! I would LOVE to race binge, but I’m already in Ironman training mode….

I am running Carlsbad, too! How fun!

My sister-in-law is running the Disney wine and dine weekend this weekend and I know she doesn’t dress up. I think the dressing up has been said to be for “the less serious runners,” haha. Have fun!

I saw that video and I’m sure there is no way I could hold that speed for any amount of time. RAGDOLL! I have a client going to the wine and dine. Now I wish I would have signed up to do it with her so I could see you! I hope you have an amazing trip! You will do great! xoxo

Natalie says:

I’m running a half in Ft. Lauderdale this weekend. I am also running the Asheville marathon in March. I would love to come and run the Mermaid half with you! That would be so much fun!!

Jillian says:

I’ve run Tinkerbell and the dumbo double dare, and ‘dressed up’ for the dumbo. They are just fun and I just tend to try to enjoy the whole experience. Here’s what I did for the disneyland half and 10K (but I didn’t do anything special for tinkerbell): http://instagram.com/p/dtE9dUoh1x/ and http://instagram.com/p/dqrKdYoh4w/ (peter pan and wendy). Fun fact – those mizuno sayonara’s made their race debut that day….may or may not have been inspired by you to try them out. 😉

I’ve got Ragnar trail vail lake in 2 weeks. I’m pretty excited for that. Enjoy your upcoming races!

lacey says:

Im running the Holiday Half in Portland in Dec. Im super excited. They say that there are carolers that line the course and they give you soup and eggnog at the end, how fun!!

I have never ran in a race at disney but I do know that if you are going to spend time at the parks with your family it is worth it to buy the meal plan. I have heard from my sister and friends that it is more than worth it!!

MILF Runner says:

LOL…are you seriously going cold turkey on kabocha this week? Any DT’s yet? 😉

Abbie says:

Love the pic! I think I’m actually on the verge of giving a thumbs down in that photo…haha…but really. Add to your race binge: the Nike Women’s Half in DC in April! The lottery opens tomorrow–it’s the BEST.

To: Kristin Stehly #Marathoner / ACE #Fitness #Pro
    From: Darin Armstrong #TeamLIVESTRONG

***Special #FollowFriday #Shoutout To: @stuftmama #Marathoner / ACE #Fitness #Pro / @FitFluential Ambassador, @MizunoRunning Ambassador

Hello Kristin,
    The above is what your #Twitter #FollowFriday #Shoutout will look like this Friday should you do a ‘mutual’ following with me on twitter. If you want changes made above, not a problem. (‘Smart Individual Marketing/PR’)

Just a quick email to ask if you would be interested in a ‘mutual’ following on twitter that will benefit you. (Ex: I am providing ‘Anytime’ #RT’s for all #Ironman #Triathletes #Cyclists #UltraRunners #Marathoners #FitnessProfessionals who follow me on Twitter and have something important they want mentioned for support…Over 41K folks at your access…). I am currently following you now and am awaiting your follow-back…

All the very best to you & your family for the rest of 2013 & beyond Kristin. Look forward to hearing from you…

(PS. Kristin, should you follow back, I’ll be giving you a ‘Stand Alone’ #FollowFriday #Shoutout including your ‘website’ this coming Friday…)

Darin
    twitter.com/DarinArmstrong
    #TeamLIVESTRONG

kolya says:

So just curious…why the kabocha detox? I’m starting in full-fledged these days though I’m a newbie to now I”m a bit worried…Advice? Suggestions? Loving the red version lately and kabocha has left pretty much all other varieties in the “dust” though I”m having trouble lately finding either kind in these parts.

WOuld love some feedback if you have time….my expert buddy, obviously!

Tara says:

I don’t do costumes for Disney, but my best advice is to have FUN. Take pictures with characters, chat with lots of runners. The vibe is just all about fun, so go with it! Are you in Corral A? Then you won’t need to worry about crowds, which is awesome. I ran WDW in Jan last year and it was amazing, but more crowded. And I’m doing Tink *and* Princess this year…I might have a Disney race problem.

p.s. – if you’re in corral A, I’m totes going to stalk you and be all “omgi’mareaderandyou’reawesome”. Just a heads up. 🙂

Andrea says:

You are going to have the best time at Disney! I’ve run the Wine and Dine for the past few years and it’s my favorite race. I have always dressed up and this year I will attempt to be Belle. If you’ve never been to Disney and are bringing the family you have to see/do Toy Story Spin (Hollywood Studios), the Safari and Lion King Show (Animal Kingdom), SOARIN’ and Turtle Talk (for kids-hilarious) (EPCOT) and everything in Magic Kingdom.

No kabocha, girl?! I think we should all bet to see just how long it will last. 😉 Del Mar looks fun. I think the only ones, I am doing is the Holiday Half at Pomona Fairplex. I’m feeling a bit… minuscule now… Have fun at Disney World.

Betsie Eller says:

I’m doing the Disney wine and dine too! It will actually be my very first half marathon ever. Hope to see you there!

Jennifer mykytiuk says:

I have run two Disneyland Halves before and love them! So entertaining and fun!! I didn’t dress up before but I totally am this yr for the tinker bell in January! Don’t worry about it, have fun! Most people at there to have fun although I did PR both mes at Disneyland . I can not wait for tinker bell! Really wishing I had signed up for the princess half also in WDW to take the glass slipper challenge, but I missed it. I can not wait to hear about your trip!! So jealous!!

Diana says:

For the disney race, dress up have fun and take pics! (And say hi to me, it’s my first half–I’m forsaking out a bit!)

And the boys will love the parks make sure to do some meet & greets. Seeing them meet the characters is awesome!

Laura P says:

Looks like a great schedule of races. I want to do a Disney race one of these years. You will have a great time at the Big Sur Half – it’s a beautiful course and they have great food at the finish line. I really need to do that one again one year (maybe next year).

Ashley says:

I ran the Wine and Dine the first year it was held. It was a lot of fun. Not a lot of people dressed up–I think most people do that for the Disney Princess and other races. This one seemed more “serious” if that makes sense! 🙂 The one piece of advice I can give you is make sure you pick a meet up place with whoever goes with you. The year I did it, the finish was not well organized at all–total chaos–and it took me an hour to find my husband! And be prepared for a late night if you stick around to try everything!! Have an awesome time! I am jealous!

kari says:

Hi! I’m so excited to try the green banana bread…I know my kids will love it. Do you think I can use regular or whole wheat flour instead of rice flour? Same amount? thanks!

Amy b says:

Disney lets you bring your own snacks in so we fill our bags with healthy options and then just fill up our water bottles during the day. We then treat ourselves to one meal out.