Rest Day, Rock ’n’ Roll Discount and a Slaw ’n’ Oat Banana Bread

Hello! Hope you had a great weekend.

Um, totally random, but this has been on my mind all week……..

I just have to say thank you for being here, for reading and putting up with the STUFT crazies. I’ve been trying to get back to your comments, especially the ones from the race last weekend, but it’s hard. I read every single one, but getting back in a timely fashion is just not my thing.

So, I just really want to thank you for the all the congrats from the race and for the comments that are left here everyday. It really is a blessing for me to hear about YOU. I mean, you hear enough of my nonsense, yes?

Speaking of races, in just 5 days I’ll be doing the STUFT 60 Challenge treadmill thing. I’m trying to not think about it at the moment so I’m not nervous or anything, but I got my cool shirt in the mail over the weekend.

Cool, huh? Runners who signed up for the virtual race with me will be getting these too. And, really, I had to laugh that Chick-fil-A is a sponsor when I got the shirt. It’s a sign. I still need to get there to try it out after the long line last week. Ha ha.

I updated the page with a few more virtual runners who will be doing their thing with me Friday. Yay!

And while we’re talking races, just thought I’d add another one to the schedule.

885x500-sd13-save-the-date

Oh yes, I’m running the 2014 Rock ‘n’ Roll San Diego Marathon and ½ Marathon To Benefit The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society® June 1, 2014.

I think you should run it too if you’re local. He he.

Here’s a discount code so we can “rock” together.

MAMAROCKS

*Code valid for $10 off the Full or ½ Marathon until May 25, 2014 at 11:59pm PST. Register here. (Prices go up this Friday. Just noticed that.)

So….

Today was a rest day and let me just say, rest days are NOT overrated. Sure, yeah, I have to talk myself into really doing it, but heck once you get the hang of it, it’s fabulous.

We did some baking of course (in our pajamas). That’s what we do on rest days. We were out of eggs and needed exactly two for our bread baking.

Luckily a couple chickens pulled through for us.

2014-01-26 09.19.03

It was our duty to put those eggs to good use.

I was planning on making gluten free STUFT green banana bread, but I was out of a few things like spinach and brown rice flour. Then my back up plan was to make STUFT CHO muffins. Well, we didn’t have kale or whole wheat flour either.

So….

I subbed in some broccoli slaw, all purpose flour and oats and what do you know, we had ourselves some pretty darn tasty banana bread.

We also felt the need to put the frother to good use and make sure it could really whip up some good foam to go with our bread. I went with a new unsweetened mocha

while the boys just had foamed milk.

Everything is better with a little foam and a straw, right?

Before I share the bread recipe I should tell you that we did get out of our pajamas today and I did leave the house.

I had to deposit some money, but made a quick little stop.

2014-01-26 17.41.26

I’ve only done this once before back in October, but it was time to try it again. Nancy does good work.

2014-01-26 17.39.16

Okay, so I was going to give you the pasta dish recipes from last night, but I changed my mind. I do that.

This bread earlier today was such a hit I’m giving you that recipe instead.

Okay? Okay.

Here you go. Yet another people pleasing banana bread recipe. You know, just adding to the list.

You won’t be disappointed.

Mmmm hmm…

I wonder how long it’s going to last in our house.

And, I’m off to bed. I’ve got an early date with the treadmill and my workout is already written down in my notebook from yesterday. Woot.

And yes, I figured that since we have one more day of leftovers from the pasta dish last night, that gives me one extra day to get the recipe on the blog. Good logic, right?

Have a good one!

What was the best part of your weekend?

Does anyone else think frothed milk is so much better for some reason?

What’s your favorite bread to bake?

Comments

Jillian says:

Thanks for the code! I’ve been meaning to sign up for the RnR sd half….just been putting it off.

mp says:

The best part of my weekend was FINALLY getting to use a massage gift card from Christmas. We usually make Banana Bread around here, but Pumpkin is good too. I am not really into all that frothy milk type of coffee drinking. I just like coffee.

Pumpkin bread for sure….its always so moist but doesn’t last more than a couple of hours around here with 5 hungry mouths. ;-)

Best thing about my weekend was definitely Owen’s swim meet Friday night! He had one before that I missed due to work so this was the first one for my eyes. And it gets HOT in there…lesson learned …wear layers! I am not complaining I love a good sweat at a pool any day over being cold at a hockey game or something.

His races went down like this: 50 Freestyle 9-10 yr. olds…1st place, 100 Freestyle 9-10 yr. olds….2nd place and 100 Medley 9-10-11-and 12 yr. olds…..3rd place. (Btw Owen is 10….He was ecstatic with the results and so were we!!) ;-)

Joy says:

That orange tank is gorgeous! What a great shirt to run in.

My favorite bread to bake is Banana Chocolate Chip bread.

Best part of my weekend was a great 8 mile run on Saturday and spending some QT with the husband. I also took some time on Sunday to relax and refocus on some things – looking forward to see what this week brings :)

Best part was just being back home! I was on vacation for 10 days and nothing feels more amazing than coming back home to your own space and routine! I received a frother in my swag bag at Healthy Living Summit and I LOVE frothing my chai tea lattes!

Allyssa says:

For sure banana bread is my favorite to bake!!! And I used my frother this morning as well (to help keep me warm after having to brave the blizzard we are facing in MN) as well and I must agree that frothed milk is much better :)

Best part of my weekend was definitely catching up on some much needed R&R.

And I have never had frothed milk OR baked bread. Clearly I am missing out because they both look awesome.

Thanks for the discount code! I’m thinking of signing up for the Dallas one and maybe this will light a fire under my butt to just do it. LOVE frothed milk. I need to pick up one of those things from Bed Bath. This bread looks SO darn GOOD!

lynn says:

I suggested a frother to my girlfriend for Christmas (for her husband to buy her as she has everything!) She raves about it. Says best gift she ever got. She uses skim milk and it works great.

Courtney says:

I already signed up for the RnR SD marathon at the RnR Phoenix Expo (was supposed to run that one, but couldn’t due to a concussion). I’m sure i’ll be in a few corrals behind you, but if I see you I’m totally going to say hi! :)

Lanna says:

Thank you for the code! I’m moving to San Diego next week! I’m sooooo excited! Hope to meet you at a race! :D

CUTE TANK!! Man, all the running! ;)

OK, that bread looks delish but for me – I just love bread period.. and cookies! :)

Best part of weekend – weather & cookies. :)

Best part of the weekend was picking up my new treadmill!

I like to make banana bread, though I did make a really good cranberry orange bread after Thanksgiving last year.

Emily says:

Just wanted to let you know how much I enjoy reading your blog every day. It’s a treat :)

kandy says:

Thank you so much for the registration code!

Emily Q says:

Hey! I will be running 20 miles on Saturday for Sixty Feet as a training run for the Hyannis Marathon thanks to your heads up about the organization!

Corrina says:

I think I’m running RnR SD too! The 1/2…I’m excited to have a race to train for again. Although I need to go to PT for my piriformis first I think!

Sheena says:

I really want to do RnRSD! It was my first (and 3rd) 1/2 marathon, when I was still living in San Diego, and since I moved from there in July 2012, I miss it so much!! It’s just not in the finances right now :(

lindsay says:

can i come run with you? how fun would that be?!! some day

1. [...] going. I signed Alan up too, so it was not a cheap endeavor, though I did get a discount code from Kristen. Still, I spent just shy of [...]