Self Talk, Some Eats and Running Shoe Mileage

There was a lot of self talk this morning going on around here.

Judah was playing hotel and talking to himself, He may have been trying to order room service at 6:00 am or something, I’m not quite sure.

I was talking to myself to try to get motivated to do the run I had planned out.

I had a little speed work on the schedule since I haven’t done any since the race and today was at least a couple days out from the STUFT 60 Challenge, so I thought I’d give it a go.

I was not a happy camper about it. I thought about modifying it a bit, doing the math in my head, etc.

Then the self talk started:

“Girlfriend, what are you doing.”

“Just do it”

It’s not THAT hard.”

“Come on girl.”

Yes, these were all said out loud and there may have been just one not so appropriate one thrown in the mix, but as far as we and the new charts are concerned, we use nice words only.

Well, the talking worked. I got through it.

2014-01-27 08.54.17

I did a couple warm up miles and then 3 sets of running 8 minutes at AT pace with 2 minutes of recovery in there. It was not fun. I did a few easy miles after to get to the double digits. Eleven was the lucky number of the day.

Rumor Has It was the movie that helped passed the time.

2014-01-27 08.54.33

How cute is Jennifer Aniston by the way? Dang I miss my US Weekly.

Anyhoo..

It felt so good to be done. And yes, I was wearing the oldest Handful Bra I own. I save the new ones for being out in public. Ha.

2014-01-27 08.54.282014-01-27 08.55.06

You can usually always get through it and push past that wall. Some days it’s a lot tougher than others, both mentally and physically, but heck, if you can get through those tough days, the good days will just be that much better, right?

I’ve been eating the same things in the morning lately.

Scrambled egg whites with coconut oil and either spinach or kale with turkey sausages.

I’ve also been having a baked purple sweet potato and a roasted plantain with cinnamon and coconut butter, coconut oil and PB Free NuttZo pretty much daily.

So darn good.

The boys have been eating the same thing a lot lately too. That Slaw ‘n’ Oat Banana Bread.

Oh, so I don’t know about your gym, but one of the ones I teach at has really stepped up their game with the free magazines they have available.

2014-01-27 13.05.02

Ha ha.

I taught a few classes at the gym tonight and had to stuff my face with this meatza pizza made out of a turkey burger, a few zucchini pizzas and some roasted purple brussels sprouts while parked on the couch writing this.

I guess you can’t tell that they’re purple when you cook them as long as I do. Oops.

I recently got a few new pairs of Mizuno shoes to add to the rotation,

like the new color of the Wave Sayonara that came out recently.

Have to love that it says this on the back by the way so you want to pass people in races. He he.

So I finally decided it was time to keep track of the mileage I put on a pair of shoes. I  always say I’m going to do that, but then I get lazy.

Here’s how it went down the other day.

I taped an index card inside each shoe box to record the miles.

(Check out my photo bomber. Nala usually never shoes her face.)

I also labeled the bottom of the shoes.

I’m hoping this little system will work.

I wear different shoes depending on if I’m doing a short or long run and if I’m on the treadmill or running outside. Not sure if that’s recommended, but it seems to do well for me so I’m sticking with it.

Yep, that TM is for treadmill.

I honestly have never recorded how many miles I’ve put on a pair of shoes before. Weird too since I run so much. We’ll see just how many good miles I can put on these.

Generally speaking, they say you can put anywhere from 300-500 miles on a pair of shoes.

Here’s a good article I just found from the Mizuno blog about how many miles to expect from a pair of shoes, what to look for to know when a pair is worn out and how to extend their life.

RUNNING SHOE DURABILITY: HOW MANY MILES CAN YOU EXPECT AND HOW TO EXTEND THE LIFE OF YOUR RUNNING SHOES

Whoa, there’s lots of good information in this article. In fact, I just learned the midsole is the most important part of the shoe.

Check out what the article says about figuring out if your shoes are worn out.

To determine if the midsole is worn out, flip the shoe over and press a thumb on the outsole and upward to the midsole. It should be relatively easy to see the midsole compress into the compression lines. But as the midsole breaks down with wear, the midsole will compress less into these compression lines with the same amount of pressure. When the midsole shows distinctive compression lines, it appears brittle which is indicative that the midsole is shot to the point where there’s not much cushioning left. Time to buy another pair.

Two other ways to determine shoe life are even simpler. All of a sudden, a normal run results in post run aches or soreness that ordinarily wouldn’t be present. Also, if the shoe feels much firmer than it did a month ago, that’s a sure sign it’s losing its ability to cushion.

Experienced runners usually have an approximate idea of the number of miles they get out of their shoes and are keenly aware of any change in cushioning. It’s always a good idea to monitor your mileage on a pair of shoes (so you can approximate when they begin to break down). A good tip is to either note in your training log when you first begin wearing a new pair or write on the tongue or the midsole of the shoe the date you begin wearing the shoes. By calculating the number of miles you run per week (or month), you will have a good idea of how much accumulated mileage you have on a particular pair of shoes and once you approach the 350-500 mile threshold, can estimate the amount of shoe life left.

I’m going to have to try that midsole test tomorrow. Hmmmm….

Okay, well, since I’m focusing on sleeping like a boss this week to get ready for Friday, I’m off to bed.

Good night!

Eeekkk…. STUFT 60 Challenge is in 3 days! There’s still some jars of chocolate chunky NuttZo to be claimed. He he. And if you plan on joining us on a virtual run, email me what you’re doing. I’ll add you to the list.

Do you ever talk out loud to yourself when you’re working out? Do you have anything particular you always say?

Do you keep track of how many miles you put on your shoes?

Can you just tell when your shoes are worn out?

Comments

Tess says:

LURVE the shoe collection…..All I can say is WOW!!! I try to stock up on the Mizunos but by the time I’m able to buy a new pair the old ones are worn flat out! You are a rock star with the speed runs. My speed runs average 9:13 and I’m dying…….All I can say is WOW!!! Have a super day ;)

marti says:

Have you ever tried using logarun.com??? You create a profile and youcan keep track of your workouts…and the mileage on your shoes. Its awesome and I’ve been using it for years now!

To keep track of my shoe mileage, I have a list of my shoes on my computer. Every few days, I update the list with the miles that I’ve run in my shoes. At the top of the list, I keep the date that I last updated the list. Works for me! Looking forward to reading about you upcoming challenge!

I don’t run enough to keep track…but, the best indicator usually is when I go to buy a new pair and they FEEL SO MUCH BETTER than the old pair I had been wearing. Ooops! I probably went too long before buying the new pair.

I am a BROOKS gal though and I keep hearing about their new Transcend coming out Feb. 1 ~ I am waiting to get that new shoe right now. ;-)

mp says:

I usually tell myself that I can do anything for a half hour. I always end up doing the whole run and then some. I know my shoes are done when my legs start hurting. It’s not the best way to go about it, but it works.

Melissa S. says:

I use a Nike GPS watch to track my runs and it also tracks mileage on your shoes!! I love it :)

I am always talking to myself during my runs. I’ve been doing that a lot lately since I have been stuck on the treadmill for the last 2 months. Too cold and icy here in the burbs of Chicago to be outside. Boo.

Amy says:

Hope there will be a taper starting soon? Eek!

I am pretty bad at the whole making sure I do not do too much mileage on my shoes thing. However I can start to tell when I need some new ones, usually cause my body starts hurting somewhere it shouldn’t!

Becca N says:

How do I register for the virtual run?

elizabeth says:

I don’t understand the “midsole test”, do you? I can’t press my thumb into the outsole of my Glycerin’s and see any compression line, in fact, it doesn’t compress at all. I finally got a new pair of Brooks Glycerin after a year, I’m sure they had more than 500 miles, so I must keep better track of the miles on my shoes. I’m glad I don’t have as many shoes as you, that would be hard to keep track of.
    I wish Mizuno worked for me, I just spent a couple weeks trying the Wave Rider 17 and they felt great except there isn’t enough cushion for my metatarsals, such a bummer. The Sayonara also felt great on, but I know I would have the same problem and don’t want to develop a neuroma or something.

I haven’t done the test yet. I don’t quite understand either. I’ll get back to you. :)

SethMizuno says:

Hey Elizabeth!

I’m Seth with Mizuno Running! Bummed the Wave Rider did not work well with your running. At Mizuno, our shoes are a bit firmer than other brands.. and your go-to shoe the Brooks Glycerin is for sure nice & soft. A better option for you in the Mizuno lineup would be the Wave Enigma 3, or for the max cushion in Mizuno…. The Wave Prophecy!!

I understand that pushing the midsole to test can be hit/miss… a much better judge is after around 350+ miles, try on a fresh pair of the same shoes. If you get that “WHOA!” feeling… than you probably are due for a new pair.

Thanks!
      @SethMizuno

Holy wow! Look at all those shoes – I am so jealous! Great way to keep track of your miles. I don’t really keep track of my miles though I have an idea – I go off more the tread and how worn they are looking.

Apryle says:

When I am really struggling to get up a hill or finish a run I always whisper to myself, “Of course this is hard! If it was easy, everyone would be out doing it!”
    I keep track of my shoe mileage on an Excel spreadsheet. But I can always tell when my shoes start to feel a little “flat” and that is always around 450 miles. I have always worn Asics, but just switched to Brooks so it will be interesting to see if the Brooks last as long.

Erica says:

If mizuno ever asks if you want a free pair and you don’t…I’m always here ;) Just FYI haha. Way to rock through it!!!! Those free magazines look pretty sweet- bet they didn’t last long.

Natalie says:

I keep track of my shoe mileage on the Strava app. It’s awesome. Whenever I get aches or pains on an easier run I know that’s it is time for new shoes.

I’ve never tracked mine (too lazy!!) – I do rotate around between several different pairs and I can usually tell when a pair needs to be “let go.”

Allyssa says:

This is a random question but do you have any recommendations for a good heart rate monitor without a chest strap? I had one that didn’t work well and I’m looking into getting a new one. I’m trying to gain muscle and want to know where my heart rate is at during my workouts and then the amount of calories burned so I know how to refuel more properly!

And I definitely have had to talk myself into working out! I usually remind myself of the yummy breakfast I get to have afterwards!

Ren says:

Have you ever tried logging your miles/shoes online? I use http://logyourrun.com/ and it’s AWESOME. You can input all of your shoes and just select which shoes you ran in from a drop down menu when you put in the mileage you ran. It’s really cool to look at the week/month/year reports to see your totals and averages. AND, if you do keep track of your shoes, it’ll give you a warning when a pair is getting close to needing replacement. I love it!

i never track the mileage, but I try to rotate them on a consistent basis. I’m actually due for another pair, since I also want to start training for some 1/2′s this Spring. I’m kind of making it excuse to force me to travel more, because gosh darn it, life is too short. Amazing that you can do 11 miles on the treadmill.

I do keep track of mileage… started doing it when my running shoe situation was getting out of hand, i.e had way too many shoes. It was easy to keep track in my mind with one pair, but not with 7 you know.. so I made a little excel file, and yes, I update it regularly…. I am kind of embarrassed to admit this!

MILF Runner says:

Better watch out…Hoarders might come to film your shoe collection ;-)

I can’t believe you ran speed work like that this close to your big run.

1. [...] I don’t have much else for you today. I’ve been eating the same things the past few days so nothing exciting to [...]