Core Move, Random Thoughts, Snacks and Living Life

Why hello.

A couple of treadmill runs have gone down the past few days. Ten miles yesterday, ten miles this morning.

I’ll spare you sweaty pictures of myself on the treadmill (you saw enough of those in my recap post), but I will show you that I found my Flat Bart. That was kind of exciting. He was in the treadmill console all along. I found a nice new spot for him.

2014-02-04 10.05.39

That guy makes me smile.

This morning was a really early run. I was on the treadmill by 5:20 am. Wish I could pull that off everyday, but getting out of bed that early just doesn’t happen sometimes. I swear that’s the hardest part.

I decided to wear the Wave Hitogami shoes for a little speed work since I keep hearing all the buzz about them and I only tried them once so far.

2014-02-05 05.31.03

I did 3 sets of 8 minutes at AT pace with 2-3 minutes of recovery. So far I really Iike them (the shoes, not the speed work). They are definitely more of a minimalist shoe, so they take a little getting used to. I’ll do a review once I get a couple more runs in.

I ended up changing shoes for the last couple miles since it was my second time running in them.

2014-02-05 06.37.19

Which, by the way, funny thing, Amazon sent me an email today with some shoe recommendations they thought I might like.

image

How did they know?

Ha.

Yesterday in my BOSU class I did a move I learned at IDEA World this past summer. I had totally forgot about it, but after we did it yesterday I remembered just how awesome it is.

Hollow man on the BOSU.

2014-02-04 12.55.20

Your lower back is supported a bit and you extend your legs out as you lean back. More advanced version is to put both arms over your head and just hold. That’s a killer. Modified version is to bend your knees a bit and make it smaller.

2014-02-04 12.53.36

It can also be done on the floor. I think I first saw the hollow man move on a Jillian Michaels video years ago.

Speaking of, I didn’t watch any of The Biggest Loser this season. The finale was last night and I didn’t watch that either, but there’s a lot of talk about it.

I just saw this article on E! with this picture. People sure are voicing their opinion on the winner.

Rachel Frederickson, Biggest Loser

Oh and the early bird movie today was this one. Cute movie. So sad about Philip Seymore Hoffman.

2014-02-05 07.03.07

One quote that really stood out today was this one:

It’s not about what happened in the past, or what you think might happen in the future. It’s about the ride, for Christ’s sake. There is no point in going through all this crap, if your are not going to enjoy the ride. And you know what… when you least expect something great might come along. Something better then you even planned for.

Irving Feffer

[source]

I like the message, not exactly how I would word it, but I like the whole “it’s about the ride”, “enjoy the ride” and “when you least expect it something great might come along”.

If you’re not enjoying the ride and what life has to offer, what’s the point?

Random things I’ve been snacking on. Note- snacking. I eat three big meals a day, but sometimes need a snack or two in between or on the run.

At home:

The new unsweetened mocha and cinnamon roasted plantains.

2014-02-03 14.49.182014-02-03 14.49.27

A roasted kabocha boat or two.

2014-02-04 11.12.32

On the run:

Chicken sausage and spinach STUFT egg-rito.

2014-02-04 11.00.38

Cinnamon roasted kabocha and some chia shots.

2014-02-04 13.31.30

What are you snacking on?

Yesterday, I had a thought after a bit of a rough morning. First of all, when you put your life out there for the world to see, you’re going to get attacked at times. That’s just the way things go. You can let it get to you or you can use it to move along and be a better person. It’s always a choice.

It’s also always a choice whether to sit and use time writing about what you want to do or what you should or shouldn’t do, or just get the heck out and do it.

Yesterday I decided that it was more important to LIVE life than to write about it. Brilliant, yes?

The boys and I took a day to just be in the moment and have a fun afternoon.

It was the best decision ever.

Obviously it started with a Starbucks cheers.

2014-02-04 13.19.48

Or two.

2014-02-04 13.20.12

We heard that the first Tuesday of every month you could get into the San Diego Botanical Gardens for free. We are all about free entertainment over here so we ventured out.

It was a blast.

2014-02-04 14.09.182014-02-04 14.16.102014-02-04 14.19.122014-02-04 14.19.382014-02-04 14.27.352014-02-04 14.27.512014-02-04 14.29.092014-02-04 14.30.292014-02-04 14.34.222014-02-04 14.46.192014-02-04 14.49.112014-02-04 14.53.262014-02-04 14.56.542014-02-04 15.00.102014-02-04 15.01.03

Yep. Best afternoon ever. Coolest tree house ever. Thumbs up times a million.

We’re already planning on being there next month on the first free Tuesday.

And to top it off, we even had a fire in the fireplace. Second night in a row.

It really is the simple things sometimes.

A certain someone really appreciates them too.

2014-02-03 21.14.56

Okay, I’m off.

We’ve got big plans tonight to attempt Nordstrom Rack shopping and Costco in one big trip. I’m not going to lie, I’m a little worried, but I’m going to make sure to “enjoy the ride”. Ha ha.

Have a great night!

Did anyone watch The Biggest Loser finale? Thoughts?

What’s your favorite movie quote?

What’s your favorite free local place to hang out?

Comments

Rene' says:

I did not watch the finale, but I saw the pictures and read a few articles about it. I don’t know how I feel. I am not a huge fan of the show anyway. I don’t know if they are really teaching these people how to lose weight in the real world. It is one thing to be on a ranch and exercise 6 hours a day and have someone preparing your food, but you do have to go back to living in the real world. I just don’t know how realistic it is.

Ashley L. says:

Not too sure what I think about the whole Biggest loser thing. I don’t watch the show. However, even though she looks really skinny, I read she is only 5’3″. So, I have no clue really. I just hope she is healthy. I think she looks good. Anywho….I didn’t know the Botanic Gardens are free on certain Tuesdays! Yay! I’ll have to check it out. :-)

elizabeth says:

I don’t watch the Biggest Loser, but I watched a clip of the finale and I think the winner looks great, why were Bob and Jillian so surprised? What do you think? I hope she is living a healthy life, exercising and eating right, and can continue with what she’s is doing. I think its weird that a thin person is seen as bad. I am tall and thin and may look too skinny to some people, but I am very active and eat well and am strong and healthy.

I didn’t see the finale, but my co-worker was telling me about it this morning (she felt the winner looked unhealthy), I do worry that some people may take the weight loss too far into being skeletal. Sorry you had a rough day yesterday, I watched your interview and thought you were awesome! Great job, btw!!

Michelle Kim says:

I watched the finale just now on Hulu… kind of shocking. I think it was a bit too drastic, but she won. I’m pretty sure her weight will go up to a healthier one, now that the competition is over (though I guess it’s hard to tell if she’s unhealthy just by looking… but unfortunately, she looks kind of sickly). I was rootin’ for her, and I’m glad she won! Perhaps that’s how most people will looks when they lose almost 60% of their weight o__O

VIKKI MORGAN says:

If them boys get any cuter,,,I might just die…lol Looks like ya’ll had a blast!!!

I honestly didn’t watch it so I can’t really voice my opinion on it. I guess there is so much that goes into weight loss that you would need to know in order to judge if it is “healthy” or not.

20 miles in 2 days after running 37 last weekend!? Wow – you are AWESOME!

Amie K says:

First of all, let me say, I have lost 140 lbs, so I know what it’s like to be obes e and struggle and overcome. I stopped watching Biggest Loser because I just felt like it was so unrealistic, so manipulated by producers. TV shows are trying to make money off the viewer. I felt I was not seeing the whole picture of these contestants. I have respect for the contestants and trainers, but I soon saw the show as entertainment, and I was not being intertained,, was not learning much, and just not having time to watch.
    My opinion.

Lisa says:

Got my Core Power package today. Just wanted to thank you again. I have already used the ball to do some crunches. And can’t wait to use my mat Friday in class at the Y. Drinks are great too… You can pass it on to your “Core Power” people that I love the stuff!

Angelee says:

I just smiled a big ol goofy grin….. As I clicked onto your blog to read this post, the notification popped up that you “liked” one of my photos on Instagram. I’m gonna guess it was the meatza pizza! I might have a new obsession.

mp says:

Did I miss something? Are we supposed to know what this person said to you? I guess if you put yourself out there you have to take the good with the bad. Not everyone is going to love you, and honestly who gives a s***t? In the end you do what you do for YOU not everyone else. That being said those B Gardens look fun. We spend ALOT of time at our surrounding libraries. “Life moves pretty fast. You don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.” – Ferris Bueller
    This is just one of the many 80′s quotes I love. Kind of an 80′s freak over here ;)

Robin Senne says:

You are so fabulous! Such an inspiration and for the past three years I always look forward to reading your blog posts. I did watch the biggest loser this season for the first time. I was very shocked when Rachel stepped out on the stage for the finale. But, if I put myself in her shoes I can understand what might be going on in her mind. This world can be a cruel place and the mind can play tricks on you. I pray that she finds her faith and trust in God completely to restore her health if it has been damaged. Keep running and being the squash lover you are! :)

I didn’t watch the BL finale.. or BL at all. Maybe I should. Today seems like a good day for a Starbucks date with The Reds!

Sarah says:

It is sad that she has become such the topic of conversation around the country. I hope the producers and coaches are in tune with whatever went on with her. And it is sad that there is so much scrutiny whether you are over weight or too thin. But like you say, that is what happens when you put yourself out there. I just hope she is not paying too much attention to the media because that could be very detrimental.

Favorite movie quote from A League of Their Own: “It’s supposed to be hard. If it wasn’t hard, everyone would do it. The hard… is what makes it great.”

I forgot to comment on you 37 mile treadmill accomplishment! WOW! Congrats to you doll.

Michelle says:

In the movie “42″ about Jackie Robinson, his wife tells him, “If they knew you, they would be ashamed.” The people who criticize and misunderstand you don’t know your heart, and don’t always realize how destructive their comments are. I don’t know what kind of criticism you’re getting, but I think you did a great thing! Just bless those who “curse” you and pray for those who show you hate–I know from personal experience that it does wonders, maybe not for them, but for ME.