A Squat, STUFT Snacks Lately and a Few Favorites

Happy hump day!

Want to see a cool way to squat?

Check this one out. I do this one pretty much every week at my BOSU class.

Squat down with one foot on the floor and one on the middle of the BOSU.

2014-02-18 12.58.12

Then extend your base leg keeping your chest up and lift the leg out to the side.

2014-02-18 12.58.18

Yep. We love it.

I’m back on the early morning treadmill running train over here. Thank goodness. It was about time I stopped sleeping through my alarm.

I’ve said it before, but I’ll say it again. It’s all about the Netflix for those early morning runs.

2014-02-19 06.57.28

I’m a week late watching this movie, but I forgot how cute it is.

I did 9 miles at an easy pace yesterday and 12 this morning at an easy pace also. (Today was split into two runs actually- 7 early morning miles and 5 a little later. Mommy duties and a class in between. Whatever works.)

We’ve been all about snacks lately. Maybe it’s a phase or something. Who knows.

Thought I’d show you some of them just because.

Morning snacks.

Egg white scramble with chicken apple sausage and kale and my favorite Scotty B’s bacon jalapeño  hot sauce.

2014-02-17 09.37.52

STUFT egg-rito snack for the road this morning. Pretty much the same as the scramble, but in a “rito”.

2014-02-19 08.05.22

Afternoon snacks.

I’ve been loving this combo lately. Carrots and SunButter.

2014-02-18 14.28.47

That combination also occasionally goes well with a Fuji apple and some chicken and more of that bacon hot sauce (you know, if dinner is just too far away).

2014-02-18 14.55.55

Oh and snacks are always better with a side of silly 4 year olds and some sunshine.

2014-02-18 15.05.10

Ha.

On special days, like yesterday, we go all out and visit the Farmer’s Market and the local Gelato shop.

2014-02-18 15.49.12

On not so special days, like today, we go with a little homemade protein almond milk ice cream.

2014-02-19 11.45.52

Oh, and I saw this on instagram the other day, so I had to make sure my next Quest Bar was going down like this.

Right? Baked in a banana with a little peanut free NuttZo and cinnamon.

Directions: Cut the Quest Bar and the banana in half lengthwise, pile on a little NuttZo, sprinkle with cinnamon, then put the Quest Bar slices on top and push down a little.

Bake on parchment paper lined cookie sheet at 375 convection for about 10 minutes or so.

Remove peel and transfer to plate or do whatever you want actually to eat it.

Mmmm hmm…

When you’re going to have one, you have to have it the right way. Ha.

Okay, so some favorites to leave you with.

Favorite choice I made yesterday was letting Joaquin talk me into an impromptu trip to the playground.

2014-02-18 13.26.34

High fives yo.

Favorite thing we did at the playground- a three person slide train. Which just happen to be the slowest train ever by the way. Ha ha.

2014-02-18 13.27.02

Favorite random instagram account to follow is this one- sphynxswag.

image

Seriously, love it.

Favorite new songs I used in my spin class this morning:

Best Day of My Life- American Authors

Man in the Mirror- Michael Jackson (Great for climbing. We did a standing climb with sitting and pushing a heavy gear on the chorus. Fantabulous.)

And finally…..

Favorite little thing I read yesterday morning.

2014-02-18 09.07.05

Don’t take the easy route because of a fear of failure, you need to follow your heart to be remarkable. And don’t just say you want to do it, DO IT!

2014-02-18 09.05.16

Hope you’re having a good week.

Enjoy your evening!

Your turn:

Favorite random thing from the past two days.

Favorite snack combination.

Favorite romantic comedy ever. (I need some new ones to add to my Netflix.)

Comments

Karen Atwood says:

My favorite snack lately is the pumpkin chocolate protein muffin you blogged about awhile ago.
    It is fabulous!! I get a lot of awesome healthy recipes from you. Thank you!!!

Carrots with SunButter is one of the best food combinations on earth!! They just go SO WELL together!

VIKKI MORGAN says:

Favorite thing in that past couple days was going to my first high school baseball game of the season last night.I eat carrots and Peanut Butter all the time too,,love the combination.. And my favorite romantic Comedy is How to lose a Guy in 10 days :) and fresh strawberries and peanut butter is pretty darn good too!

Peanut butter and chocolate spread on graham crackers! I could eat a million.

Allison says:

I must try your quest bar concoction!

Amy says:

So first if all that quest bar banana thing looks amazing….those are just so darn good.

Secondly, I was wondering what book you quoted the follow your heart from…I’ve been looking for an inspirational read. Thanks!

Heather Baedke says:

Hello:) I love snack plates!! I was wondering if you had any insights or your thoughts on the difference between the whole 30 challenge and the 21 day sugar detox? I have both books and agree with you that nutrition plays a huge part in recovering and healing!! I am not quite sure what the difference of the two and which would be better for feeling better.

Thank you!! Heather

The 21 DSD really cuts out pretty much any sugar. Very limited fruit. I can’t eat like that these days while I’m training, but it was a pretty good shock to the system to get away from overdose of sugar and artificial sweetener. I guess it depends on what your goals are. Same Paleo principles though. Does that help?

Favorite random thing – it FINALLY hit 30+ degrees here and it was sunny and dry. Of course, that’s all changing today lol.

Favorite snack combo – peanut butter with anything :-)

Favorite romantic comedy – When Harry Met Sally

Random…Hubby and I went out last night while the kids went to confirmation at church. Felt guilty for a second then looked at it as “couples therapy” (I swear we talk better when out and away from a couch/tv remote/laundry/dishes/ etc….) one margarita and my head was spinning…becoming quite the light weight.

;-)

Nicole says:

Favorite Random thing: Seeing so many puppies being adopted by the US Olympic team. So sweet!
    Favorite snack combo: Peanut butter & bananas.
    Some of my favorite romantic comedies: ‘You’ve Got Mail”, “About a Boy” (not really romantic comedy, but Hugh Grant is charming!), “As Good as it Gets”, “Notting Hill”, “Crazy Stupid Love”.

Love the “follow your heart” page. <3

Marie says:

What kind of gelato did you get?

Sweet sweet family time – LOVE!!!!

I think I gain weight just reading your blog even though it is healthy! ;)

Love the ending.. :)

aleesha says:

Favorite random thing: Creating a Bloglovin’ acct…..so cool….now all my favorites blogs are in one place :)

Favorite snack: Homemade chocolates. Ingredients….coconut oil, unsweetened cocoa powder, vanilla, maple syrup. I use a 1 part coconut oil, to 3 parts cocoa, a splash of vanilla, and a dash of maple syrup. pour into a cute silicone mold, and wa-laaa….chocolate.

Favorite romantic comedy: Here are a few of my favorites:
    Crazy, Stupid, Love (Steve Carell, Ryan Gosling)
    What to Expect When You Are Expecting (Jennifer Lopez, Cameron Diaz)
    I Don’t Know How She Does It (Sarah Jessica Parker)
    Life As We Know It (Katherine Hiegl, Josh Duhamel)
    Did You Hear About the Morgans. (Sarah Jessica Parker)

Aleesha- I kid you not I just put almost all these movies in my Netflix Queue after reading this. And….. I MUST try that chocolate. It sounds magnificent!

Allyssa says:

I tried that banana Quest combo the same day as this post!!! It’s DELICIOUS :)

You and your crazy snack creations are amazing! And how awesome are carrots and peanut butter. They are so so so good! Nom Nom!