Rainy Day Comfort- Skating and Spaghetti Squash

The last two days I’ve done runs on the treadmill. Yesterday was 10 miles

2014-03-01 12.35.26

while finishing this movie.

2014-02-27 08.59.51

Such a good movie by the way.

This morning I ran 16 with a little iFit video through Stockholm.

2014-03-02 09.21.07

I lost track of how many times I stepped off the treadmill. Seriously. I could not get my head in the game. Oh well, I made it through.

2014-03-02 09.21.242014-03-02 09.25.13

Yep, went with the purple today and a couple Parenthood episodes.

2014-03-02 09.23.48

So it’s been raining all weekend here. Pretty much the first storm we’ve gotten all winter. I actually love it. Well, besides the fact that we have a leak in our roof. That’s not good, but it’s fun having some rainy weather.

Certain things are just much more fun in gloomy weather.

Certain things like a family trip to the ice skating rink. I’m not going to lie, I’m awful at ice skating. I’m more of a wall hanger type. But I put on a brave face for the kiddos yesterday.

What do you know, turns out Judah is just like Mama.

2014-03-01 13.41.032014-03-01 13.45.462014-03-01 13.44.032014-03-01 13.57.14

He wanted no part of letting go of the wall and when we were half way around on our one and only full lap he wanted to quit and go back. We didn’t, we kept going, but it took us a LONG time. Oh and yeah, Grandma came too. She was our cheerleader.

Uncle Kevy and Papap pretty much showed us up. They’re the pro skaters.

2014-03-01 14.34.092014-03-01 14.07.40

Once we scored one of these things we were all smiles. Yes, WE friends.

2014-03-01 14.03.36

Joaquin on the other hand passed up the wall right away and can skate better than me. Yes, this was only his second time ever.

2014-03-01 13.57.28

I kept trying to get Judah to take another lap with me without holding the wall and everything. He wanted no part of that. He stayed in the learning area and stuck to going back and forth with the little helper thing. I figured I’m a lot like that too. I don’t like trying new things I’m not good at, I’d rather stay in my comfort zone. I wish I wasn’t so hesitant about trying new things sometimes. That’s how life is though for a lot of us, yes?

Some other things that are better with rainy weather.

This wine that went down last night,

meatza pizza that also went down last night

and fires in the fire place.

Kitty likes to warm up his manboobs. Ha ha.

Okay so, comfort food. When I think about comfort food I think about mac and cheese. I’m not quite sure why. When I was pregnant I ate it all the time. A whole box at a time. The whole box is only one serving anyway, isn’t it? Ha ha.

Well, the other night I was craving a big bowl of mac and cheese.

So I threw together a little paleo version made with spaghetti squash. My concoction used nutritional yeast instead of cheese and it came out better than I thought. The idea came from my non dairy “cheesy” sauce I used to make all the time.

Here’s how it went down.

I took roasted spaghetti squash. Forked it into a pot on the stove. Added a little unsweetened almond milk (like a couple tablespoons) and all of these ingredients.

Cholula, Trader Joe’s Everyday Seasoning, garlic salt, somek ghost chilis, nutritional yeast

I didn’t measure anything except the nutritional yeast. I put in three tablespoons of that because I wanted it to taste extra “cheesy”.

I also added roasted broccoli and a can of salmon.

It was one big bowl of dairy free, grain free comfort goodness.

IMG_2804IMG_2809IMG_2810

Don’t get me wrong, sometimes you need a big bowl of the real stuff (my personal favorite is Annie’s white cheddar whole grain shells while the boys love eating macaroni and cheese like this).

But…….

I do have to say that this was a pretty darn good substitution. It will be happening again very soon.

Enjoy the rest of your Sunday.

We have mounds of laundry to tackle, books to read and Judah is going to “conduct” us in a little family yoga session. Should be pretty awesome.

Ice skating- love it of hate it?

What’s your favorite macaroni and cheese?

What food do you crave when it’s raining?

Comments

LOVE that movie Crazy, Stupid, Love. Mostly because I am in love with Ryan Gosling. Awesome runs – sometimes the mental game is harder than the physical one (ok, all the time ;) .

Have a fab night!

Not gonna lie – I love KRAFT Mac & Cheese!!! It’s been awhile since I made a box of it but…..
    I’m looking forward to spring and rainy days compared to snow/ice and the days we are having now.

elizabeth says:

Love ice skating, I used to get lessons for my birthday. I liked it much more than roller skating. I’m surprised you are awful, because you are good at teaching gym classes and other stuff. I can’t do anything fancy, but I had a lot of fun zooming around the rink. My favorite thing was watching my dad try and ice skate, Ha! Some people never get comfortable on the ice.
    I used to love Kraft mac and cheese, I was allowed to eat it on nights that I had a babysitter, but now I don’t really like it. Annie’s or Kraft might me okay on top on a salad or mixed with veggies or something. I used to hate it when my mom put hot dog slices in my mac and cheese and I have to say I would not like your canned salmon version, but I’m not a seafood eater. Enjoy the rest of your weekend! Glad to hear you liked your yoga class, do you think you will start teaching yoga someday?

steph says:

wow, i was JUST about to look up a spaghetti squash mac and cheese recipe for dinner tomorrow!
    thank you!

Meagan says:

I’ve always thought Ice skating would be THE perfect first day.

I like ice skating, but I’m not very good at it and I don’t go very often. There was a phase in 5th grade where I was determined to take lessons and be a figure skater. Ha!

Homemade is always delicious when it comes to mac and cheese. But every once in a while I have to splurge and have some velveeta shells.

I like any and all comfort foods when it’s raining. And hot chocolate.

I am going to try this spaghetti squash mac and “cheese” business asap. I agree Annie’s is the best, it makes you feel decent about eating mac and cheese from a box right? Lol!

I loved it when I was a kid. Now I absolutely dislike any thing COLD related so guess what?! I don’t like to ice skate either. HOWEVER, if I could go indoors and then leave knowing I would go into a warm car, see green grass, and not have to dress like I am leaving the Alaskan Tundra then maybe I would try it again.

My poor kiddos…..I am sure I will be paying for their therapy in the future…..as they try to explain to their therapist why they can’t leave the house during the winter…CuZ It’S COLD!! DUH!? (Then again maybe they will all move south and I can stay with them! ;-)

I picked up that same bottle of red from Costco 2 weeks ago. I haven’t opened it yet…That spaghetti squash dish looks AMAZING…

YUM! I need to try your “mac” and “cheese” haha!!

Karli says:

Yum I am definitely making that Mac!!

Bridget says:

Oh Uncle Kevy, good to see him!! I tried Apothic Red wine a few weeks ago, thought it was really good!

Caitlin says:

Love the running gear!! Love running because it makes me feel active!

Hollann vrooman says:

I would say shoes are my favorite piece of work out gear. The crazier and brighter the colors the more I want to run.

Amie K says:

Yes to skating. When I was in high school, my friends ani would go ice skating every Friday night. I love to skate. We would go roller skating every once in a while, but we loved ice skating better. We were all sporting a Dorothy Hamel hair do (wedge) mostly we skated in an indoor rink, but we would frequent a couple outdoor rinks also.
    I must say, I love to see all the shoes you blog about.
    I have never really liked spaghetti squash. I don’t know why. I like all other squash. I use zucchini like pasta for Italian like dishes. Your Mac n cheese looks great. Interesting cheese idea.