A Few More Highlights From the ASICS LA Marathon Weekend

Good morning!

Whelp, yesterday’s race did not go as planned. There were maybe about 6 miles that did, but the rest of the race was a rough one for me.

That’s okay though. It’s all part of the journey and Michele and I fought hard (without any tears even though we sure felt like it) to just get to that finish line and crossed it together.

2014-03-09 11.03.33

I’ll recap the actual race in a bit, but have just a few minutes before I need to hit the road and face some fantastic LA traffic, so instead of dwelling on on my not so stellar performance, let me just show you some more highlights from the amazing weekend.

IT HAS BEEN INCREDIBLE.

We stayed at the amazing The Fairmont Hotel in Santa Monica.

2014-03-08 08.48.05_thumb

The hotel is super fancy. It’s the home of the second largest fig tree in California by the way.

2014-03-09 17.04.09

My favorite thing in the hotel room was this little espresso machine.

Oh heck yes. I’m sipping one right now in fact.

I had a little patio

and the view wasn’t too shabby either I guess.

2014-03-07 17.17.402014-03-07 17.17.45

Ha ha.

Upon arrival here we got a special ASICS box.

Inside the box was a limited edition  pair of shoes made specially for the 2014 Los Angeles Marathon.

The GEL-Lyte33™

and a super cute hoodie.

We had a great time going through the expo really quickly the other day.

2014-03-08 15.10.23

They had the treadmill challenge set out in front.

2014-03-08 15.09.47

Cute Jackie gave it a shot and made it 45 seconds.

2014-03-08 16.10.05

I was so tempted, but I would’ve pulled something I’m sure. I told the guy I’d come try it after the race. Funny, huh? Obviously that didn’t happen.

Anyhoo….

Here’s some expo fun for your viewing pleasure.

2014-03-08 15.22.17

Yep, finish lines just can’t stop us. Ha.

Dunkin Donuts coffee seemed to be the biggest hit, but the line was too long.

2014-03-08 15.47.27

Instead Monica and I found a super big shoe

2014-03-08 15.48.55

and visited our friends at the Pro Compression booth.

2014-03-08 15.53.042014-03-08 16.26.14

I stopped to pick up at 3:15 pace bracelet from the Clif Bar pace team. Good thing I did that since I was right on target yesterday. Ha.

2014-03-08 15.55.25

They had all the runner’s names on the wall. I was too lazy to search for mine, but hey, I found an “s” and my last name is Stehly so close enough.

2014-03-08 15.59.54

Oh and I freaking LOVE The Nutribullet.

2014-03-08 16.07.32

Mine at home that I won at this race last year has been having a few issues lately. I was hoping to get a replacement.

Want to see the best thing we picked up at the expo?

2014-03-08 17.13.07

Right? Coolest shirts ever for the boys.

2014-03-08 17.24.20

Dang I can’t wait to see them. Here they are in case you miss them too.

2014-03-08 17.44.17

I’ll recap the actual race and race morning in a bit, but even though the race didn’t go very well, ASICS sure took great care of us with a little VIP party action at the finish.

2014-03-09 15.31.18

(from instagram– @stuftmama)

While we were in Santa Monica we had to do the whole walk down 3rd Street Promenade thing.

2014-03-09 16.35.26

Obviously Starbucks was involved.

2014-03-09 16.22.42

Heck yes I went for my old favorite (minus the sugar free sweetener) and heck yes I got to hang with these two awesome people (Michele and Brian).

2014-03-09 16.24.07

Oh and Brain informed us that on race day you’re supposed to keep wearing your medal all day. I was not aware of this fact. We made sure to do it though.

Okay, well, I hope you have a fabulous Monday. Race recap and post race festivities coming soon.

Favorite Starbucks drink?

Do you wear your medal all day the day of the race?

Comments

Sounds like an awesome race weekend! We all have tough races – you powered through and that is all that matters 🙂 enjoy some R&R and recovery!

Jessica says:

I do wear my medals all day after a race! I even wear them during my naps after the race! It’s always interesting to wake up with a medal around my neck! 🙂

That sounds like it was an amazing weekend!!!!! (yes…I am slightly jealous!!!)
    You guys did awesome and I am so glad you had fun!!! Those LA shoes are super awesome too…it sounds like they treated you amazingly :). Now rest up and recover time :)!!!!

Amy H says:

Wow, great weekend overall! Sorry your race didn’t go as well as you hoped – but was this really a goal race? It seems like you have a lot of races on your plan for the spring and it didn’t seem like you really tapered, so maybe this is more of a “quantity” then “quality” year? Are you planning on really going for a big PR at one of the races? (I think you should give it a try and really see what you can do…but probably just because that’s my approach.) Whatever you do, remember that you did just run a marathon and that you need to recover!

You’re totally right Amy. It wasn’t a goal race and I have a lot of the agenda. I am VERY thankful that I crossed the finish line and feel fine. I don’t have a big PR race picked out, but you’re making me want to choose one and really go for it. Eeeekkkk… it scares me. 🙂 Thanks for your comment. 🙂

Of course I wear my medal all day 🙂 I actually wish it was socially acceptable to wear the medal for 1 week post-race. Congrats on your race!!!

elizabeth says:

I’ve never used one of those Nespresso Essenza machines, how did you think it compared to your Moka Express?

Carson says:

I wear my medal if I go somewhere immediately after the race and am still in running clothes. I ditch it once I shower and change.

My fave Starbucks drink is a skinny vanilla latte. But I rarely get them because they are terrible for you and cost an arm and a leg. I much prefer my homemade black coffee.

I was at the same hotel as you but never saw you!! I ran the marathon too as my first, it was great, but yeah the heat was brutal. I crossed in just under 3:55, so I was happy with that. I actually got a little choked up as I saw the finish line in the distance. Sorry your race didn’t go as planned but I’m sure you did great and you didn’t get injured, so that’s a win!!

Oh and no, I didn’t know about wearing your race medal all day either, so I missed out! But we had to leave after we grabbed a bite to eat, as we had a long drive home.

Sounds like the VIP party was where it’s at!! Congrats!!

julie says:

I’m intrigued if the issue you are having with your nutribullet is the same one I am having. The four pronged blade attachment has come loose, so now it not only doesn’t pulverize ice fully anymore, it spews protein shake if I fill it more than 1/3 the way full (well below the “full” line) and has leaked into my motor making it disgusting. I was going to toss and write off nutribullet as a piece of crap, but I am thinking it is a manufacturer defect, as I bought it last summer/spring, around the time you got yours.

I haven’t been having too many issues, but is has leaked a few times. Might be user error on my part. You should see if they’ll send you a new one! IT should definitely be lasting longer than that.

Melissa Jo says:

Skinny Vanilla Latte, and I wear the T-shirt all day not usually the Medal

Beth says:

I’m from Boston and just ran the LA marathon this weekend too! I was hoping for a BQ but did way worse than I was expecting too. I had been training in the teens so my body did not like this heat! I was almost on pace through the first half but then once the sun came out I fell apart :-/ It was a beautiful course though despite the conditions. I guess this is what makes marathons so challenging! I actually feel a lot better seeing others feel the same way. Thanks for the inspiration!

That’s when we fell apart too. So sorry it didn’t go as planned Beth. Guess that just means you have to come back out next year. Or come out in June for Rock ‘n’ Roll San Diego!!! 🙂 Hope you’re recovering well!

I LOVE the Nutribullet. I was gifted a slightly used one from my aunt, and I didn’t think it would be that much better than the Magic Bullet, but it definitely is. I should review it on the blog because people NEED to know about this thing!

Sorry the race didn’t go so well for you, but it sounds like you enjoyed your time there!

So much fun Kristin & can’t beat that view for sure – perfect!!!! Great swag too!

OK – I did that treadmill challenge at Fashion Island & I am not even a runner!! OMG – scared the crap out of me cause when I stretch out my legs to far, I end up injured so I pulled up at 30 seconds – no way I was going to get injured to prove something! 🙂 Got a free pair of socks out it & a hat for hubby! 🙂

YOU did the treadmill challenge???? Awesome that you got socks and a hat. I was too scared to try it before the race. 🙂 Hope you’re having a great weekend Jody!

I agree with him. Wear the medal all day! My youngest daughter won her AG at her first race and got a second metal. She wore both medals all day and loved it when people asked her what they were for. I felt naked with just my one! LOL

I get a Skinny Peppermint White Chocolate Mocha with skim milk, no whip at Starbucks. Yummy!

Lately my favorite is not Starbucks (gasp) because they don’t have almond milk. There’s an awesome little coffee shop inReading Terminal Market (it’s like the Pike Street Market, but in Philly) that has the best almond milk cappuccinos, to which I add cinnamon and honey. Amazing.

I have only had a Starbucks once or twice and someone else ordered for me ha ha! I have never worn a race medal all day but I think it’s cool if someone wants to 🙂

BTW, I need you to be my stylist, I not only love your running clothes, but I have yet to see you in a ‘regular’ outfit that I don’t also love!

I definitely wear my medal all day – I earned it!

I rarely get coffee out, but when I do it is usually just a vanilla latte.

Seems like an amazing weekend. I totally stalked all your Instagram pictures.

You took some really nice pictures. I’m sure it was a great weekend even if the race wasn’t what you had planned for. Same as everyone else, right? Warm weather will do that.
    I really like that shirt for your boys, too funny.