A Little Monday Motivation

Good morning! Happy Monday!

I made a very small dent in the tax situation over here yesterday. It’s going to be a week long job I’m afraid. However, I did get quite a few other things done while putting it off like organizing the pantry, vacuuming the house, lots of laundry, cleaning out closets, etc.

Ha. Nothing like avoiding taxes as a little motivation to get everything else done.

Speaking of motivation, I don’t know about you, but I could always use a little extra motivation to work towards my goals especially on a Monday morning since it’s the start of a new week.

I thought I’d share where I’m getting my motivation today (besides the whole tax avoidance thing).

First off, my Saturday night last weekend looked a little like this at the hotel.

This weekend it looked a little like this in the comfort of our house on the couch.

Turkey taco salad with roasted asparagus, cassava “fries” and lots of guacamole.

So let’s see, motivation talk…….

I always get motivated when I look back at pictures from a race.

I got this one in an email the other day from last week’s race.

Kristin_Michele

I love this picture for so many reasons. I love it because it was NOT my best race, far from it actually, it was a struggle and I was not feeling well, but in the end I finished with my friend Michele and that’s what matters. It’s the friendships you make and the accomplishments you achieve that matter. Just crossing that finish line is fabulous. It’s not always about the time. It’s about pushing through the tough parts, learning from experiences and coming out a stronger person in the end.

Um, and yes, that is the best photo bomb ever by Alysia Montano by the way. I may have to frame this. Ha ha.

And yet another picture from last weekend that I just now got my hands on thanks to Brian.

photo

Now that’s just fun. Ha.

Check out this ASICS LA Marathon recap video. It really captures all the race excitement. I’m actually already looking forward to next year.

You may have noticed my new BFF in there. Yep, Deena is so inspiring. The most inspiring thing for me is that she’s a mom and is 41. She got third place last year at the ASICS LA Marathon when she was 40. She’s just awesome.

I saw this on instagram the other day also.

image

[source]

Not sure if you can read the comment since it’s so small, but this awesome lady, Nuta Olaru, was leading the Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Washington DC for a few miles Saturday and she’s 43. Obviously I had to look her up and found out that she won the Big Sur Marathon last year when I was there.

I don’t know, women who are older and still running and racing like crazy motivate me. I’m just about 15 years past my prime, definitely not the fastest and I’m finding that it’s harder for us in our late 30’s to recover and what not, but there’s nothing that says we can’t give it our all still. Right? There’s still some fight in us. Who knows what the future holds.

These inspirational ladies just rock.

You know who else rocks?

Dulcy. She ran the STUFT 60 Challenge with us as part of the virtual team and she completed her first ever marathon over the weekend.

first marathon  March 16, 2014

Oh heck yes. Congrats lady!

And people who run for others and make running meaningful, well, they motivate just about everyone.

Tiffany is running the Illinois Half Marathon for an autism awareness organization called Hope Helps. She has a fundraising page set up here if you’d like to donate to the cause.

image

She’s asking everyone to just donate $1.31.

And if you’re local and you just want a little 5K race to run in a couple weeks as some motivation, the Carlsbad 5000 is coming up on March 30th.

C

I’ve heard a lot of good things about this race, but have yet to run it. That’s going to change in two weeks.

They even have a Junior Carlsbad for kids and I know two 4 year olds that are super excited about that race on Saturday, March 29th.

Oh heck yes they’re running it and they just might be sporting these same outfits they wore at our last race.

2014-02-16 06.01.112014-02-16 06.01.15

Ha ha.

In case you want to join us for the event, you can register HERE and use the discount code MAMARUNSCBAD for $5 off.

There are a bunch of different races and times including a wheelchair invitational and a People’s Walk. Pretty cool that there’s a little something for everyone.

image

Code: MAMARUNSCBAD

Discount: $5

Carlsbad 5K

Registration Closes March 23

I’m registering for the All Day 20K where you get to run four of the 5K races back to back. How awesome is that? It should be pretty fun.

And just one more little piece of motivation for your Monday also found on instagram here.

2014-03-16 07.39.02_thumb

Have a great start to your week!

What motivates you?

Is there a particular person or athlete you look up to and/or get inspiration from?

What are you most looking forward to this week?

Comments

NICE! Way to jump start the Monday morning!!!

Looking forward to????? THURSDAY ~ The First Day of SPRING!!! That means all of our snow has to melt by then right?! 😉

Wow! She is inspiring and gives me so much hope for the future! I always joke with my husband that I’ll never fully reach my running goals until I’m in my 40’s and that it’ll be too late – looks like thats not true!

What motivates me is trying to be better each day than I was the day before. I love working hard and following my dreams. I’ve focused more on what i love to do and making the most out of every day! I strive to become a better runner and go after those dreams every day!

Hyla says:

Yes!!!!!!! As I creep up towards 40, I find that the women that are closer to my age, even older, are such inspirations. Well said! Have a great week!!!

I can’t pinpoint one person that motivates me but that’s one thing I love about reading blogs. Seeing Mama’s with several kids, people fighting against adversity, people that are past their “prime” that are still rocking it make me want to push myself even harder! It makes me thing, if they can do it, why can’t I?? Thanks for sharing these motivational stories!

I’m turning 33 this week and it was making me feel old ladyish but seeing these ladies looking so fabulous and running and winning in their forties was a MAJOR MONDAY PICK ME UP!

Having a race to look forward always motivates, scares, and excites me! I also love reading and learning about different races but it does get expensive quick 🙂 Oh also new gear always motivates me!!!

Strong women definitely motivate me also! Especially mommas! I don’t know how you ladies do it all!

I love all these motivational shares. I totally need that on a Monday! It so important to have people who motivate you and drive you to move forward and be better.

Love your food pics they always look so darn tasty and make me hungry.

Have a great week!

What great motivation today!!! I love hearing about all of these 40+year old women who are still running such incredible times – makes me think that there is still hope for me!!

I hate tax season! 😉 Ya have no money & they still want to take money you don’t have – UGH! 😉

LOVE your race recaps of people – LOVE!

Those boys are always so funny in pics! Too cute!

Tara says:

I think Nuta lives near me…she’s at a LOT of the local races, way. in. front. She’s amazing. Of course, so is Deena, and she does live near me. I think it’s time for me to stop slacking in my age group. 🙂

I’m looking forward to spring break this week! I hope to get some good workouts in, to clean out the kids’ rooms (while they’re skiing – sneaky mom!), and to drink an adult beverage every day. Such a great goal, that last one.

Sam says:

I love hearing about athletes who are able to keep competing well into their “older years.” It keeps me motivated and looking forward to being able to keep doing the things I love to do for the rest of my life! Last summer I did a triathlon that had two competitors in the over 70 division (one male, one female). They both looked incredibly vibrant and strong up there on the podium.

Lately I’ve been super inspired by the athlete Tatyana McFadden. She was born with spina bifida and is a wheelchair marathon racer (her upper body strength must be RIDICULOUS). In 2013 she won the women’s division at the Boston, Chicago, New York AND London Marathons. She’s the only person (able bodied or not) ever to win 4 major marathons in one year. She’s also a paralympic athlete and just won a silver medal in Sochi for wheelchair cross-country skiing. Stories about overcoming adversity and turning into an absolute MONSTER competitor (and activist) give me something to work towards.

Finally, I love hearing about people who use their competitive-athlete-driven natures in the service of a greater purpose. Your campaign for Walk 60 feet was hugely inspirational :). I’ve been fundraising for the Seattle Humane Society recently and knowing that every training run is in the service of a greater cause really makes the effort much more rewarding!

Great post. Have a super week!

Kelly says:

Do you get your purple sweet potatoes locally (or just via mail)? What about Quest bars? While I don’t live in the San Diego area, I do live somewhat nearby (west of Palm Springs) and haven’t been able to find either anywhere… 🙁

A little of both for the purple potatoes but they’re out of season now. Boo….. Quest Bars I order directly from them. Cheapest and fastest shipping. 🙂