Running the Same 5K Four Times is Pretty Fun and What I’m Learning

Who knew, right?

I really wasn’t sure how the day was going to go down today at the Carlsbad 5000. I’ll spare telling you about the night I had before the race. Believe me, you don’t want to know. But, all the events of the morning ended up being so much fun.

From the start of the first 5K

2014-03-30 06.56.33

to the finish of the fourth one,

2014-03-30 09.52.51

it was just awesome.

I met some really great people, and if you follow on instagram you saw I got to hang out with the amazing Deena Kastor again and even got to watch the elites run and witness a new American 5K record set by Bernard Lagat.

Here’s my attempt at getting a picture of the elite male winner for you.

2014-03-30 11.28.11

No, that is not my hand.

I am short, it was crowded and he was too fast.

2014-03-30 11.28.12

You can see his foot there if you really look hard.

Again, that is not my hand.

Oh and you should know he ran the 5K in 13:11. Yeah. Craziness.

It was such a fun event. I have so much more to tell you about it and I want to be sure to not leave anything out.

Although the races this morning went well, I’m still fighting some bug that’s trying to bring me down over here so rest and feeling better is a priority at the moment. A full recap will be on the way shortly.

I’m learning (slowly) to be smart about things like that. It takes time friends.

Speaking of time, I read this the other night from Jesus Calling and it was the perfect reminder.

2014-03-29 22.13.11

Live one day at a time. If something is not on the agenda for the day, let it go into His care. There will be a time for everything.

I tend to treat every great opportunity as if it’s the last one I’ll have. Truth is though, maybe the timing just isn’t right at the moment for certain things. If it’s something that’s meant to be, well, then the timing will be right when the timing is right. Yes?

I have to remind myself of that often.

Okay.

I’m off.

Sweet dreams! (Or sweet awakenings if you’re reading this in the morning.)

Ever run a race more than once in the same day?

Have you ever watched elites run in person? Dang they are FAST.

Learn any life lessons this weekend?

Comments

Mackenzie says:

I’ve never ran two races or more in one day. Only training runs. But I’m eagerly trying to get to the Heartbreak Hill Runners World weekend and do the five and dime! I live in Missouri so I’m just trying to find decent plane tickets to get there.

I love volunteering for larger races to watch the elite runners and everyone else cross the finish line. I enjoy handing out the medals to everyone after their hard work!

Tess says:

Ha! I’m short too. I know the feeling of missed views because of someones body parts! Hope you feel much better very quickly!!!

Runner’s world five and dime :) Starting the second race in one day was hard enough- I can’t imagine having to start 4 times!! I’m so jealous of your weather. The half I ran yesterday was miserable- cold, pouring rain all but 3 miles of the race…I couldn’t even feel my hands to take pics afterward- we headed straight to the car!!! I watched the elites finish once when I DNF. It was pretty cool watching them in person.
    I hope you take some time to truly REST so you feel better, friend. :) Have a great week!

I love it when daily devotions seem to be talking exactly to me, my life at the moment, and what I may be going through. This devotion seems to do that often…its great!

Looks like a great day….we finally had a 60 degree day here yesterday….LOVELY!

You’re crazy … in the best way possible :) . I can’t wait to hear more about it, because I can’t decide if running a race 4x would be a fun challenge or drive me bonkers (probably both). I saw a video recap of Lagat’s race … WOW!

I have never run more than one race in a day, but I hope to one of these days. I did run a 10k last year and then ran another on my own after for a long run, but never two races.

Great job!! I can’t wait to get back to racing VERY soon. I am still coming back from injury so I am not there yet but getting there slowly!

OMG I just laughed so hard at that hand!! For a quick second, I got really worried that you had arthritis at such a young age! HA.

Hope you are feeling much better today – I know that Monday’s are full of classes for you!!!
    13:11? That is insane? So cool that you got to witness a world class runner smoke a race!

Amy H says:

Wait, you ran the 5K 4 times? That seems kinda crazy to me! I’m assuming you did it because you needed to get a longer run in, but I would have raced once (hard!) and then just done a long run afterwards, otherwise it isn’t even a race, you’re just running with a number on. But maybe that’s just me?

I watched the streams of the elite races – they were awesome.

Good grief that is fast! I couldn’t even imagine! Congratulations on your runs! I hope you feel better today. xoxo

Lesley says:

Sounds like a great run! Thanks for sharing your devotion. So many times we see how things affect us and brush off the fact they can affect someone else too. I’m glad you shared as it made my day and I’m sure many others. I am so anxious about a big race for me this Sunday and I will be retreading this all week. Thanks.

I kept asking you how you were feeling & you did not answer me..did you know I would scold you for doing those races! ;) I did not do a thing for 8 days when I got sick! I hope you feel better Kristin BUT if you don’t PLS PLS rest that bod!!! :)

Lanna says:

Thanks for sharing the devotion! :)

The line in the last part of your post, “a time for everything, and everything in its time” is exactly what I needed to read today! It is so true and exactly the perspective I need to have with some of the decisions I’m making right now. Thanks so much for posting that! Hope you feel better soon.

1. [...] have a little special something for you. No, not a race recap from yesterday yet, but there’s something huge and important going down this week in the land of Love Grown [...]