A Fun Move, How the Last One Went Down and It’s Dean’s Fault

Did the early wake up call thing this morning, but had a bit of a rough time. Cut my run short at 3 miles to take a couple deep breaths that were much needed this morning..

2014-04-09 06.47.53

It was worth it just for a little sanity.

Taught a spin class this morning and then decided to revisit my old friends at the gym while I was there.

The stairmill

2014-04-09 09.42.35

and Kelly and Michael for an easy 20 minutes.

2014-04-09 09.46.56

I really like them.

Taught my BOSU class yesterday. Thought I’d experiment a little with a new move. I also made sure we did our one leg BOSU burpees again. Everyone was begging. Kidding. Kidding.

So here’s the move. One arm should press with leg extension.

Weight in one hand (phone in the other optional). Stand on one leg (same side you’re holding the weight), opposite leg lifted with knee bent.

Extend arm to ceiling for shoulder press while you extend your leg out in front. Hold for a couple seconds. Bring foot in and weight down and repeat.

2014-04-08 12.51.202014-04-08 12.51.55

Not an easy move to do on the BOSU. Definitely not easy to take a picture. On either side.

2014-04-08 12.52.212014-04-08 12.52.27

Ha. We just did a few on each side with a heavy weight. It was done very slowly.

This can be done on the ground also which will add that extra little core challenge by balancing on one foot. It’s still pretty darn difficult on the floor too.

Have fun!

So, I haven’t been eating kabocha that much lately. I kind of fell off that train after my stomach was sick the other week. Finally felt like having some again today and hey, wouldn’t you know I had one tucked away in the pantry.

It went down a little something like this.

2014-04-05 15.27.22

Sweetener free roasted kabocha (I chilled it in the freezer after I roasted it), topped with a little SunButter and then some protein almond milk ice cream. Oh heck yes. If it’s my last one, it’s going down the right way.

Okay, so totally random, but ever since the whole Dean Karnazes fridge thing I’ve been eating canned tuna and salmon like crazy. Not in the bulk amount that it looks like he does, but I did just restock at Costco today.

Anyhoo….

I’m not a mayonnaise fan. Never have been, never will be. Mom use dot make tuna salad with mayonnaise all the time when we were kids.

I never know quite what to mix with canned tuna or salmon. It’s usually just some spices, salt, pepper, hot sauce and sometimes pickle relish.

Well, the other day I combined these three things and it was marvelous.

2014-04-07 14.01.41

Trader Joe’s Hot and Sweet Mustard (also good on Hot and Sweet Salad Dressing), extra Spicy Mrs. Dash and canned salmon. I did not measure, just combined and mixed.

I had it on some whole grain bread the other day and then today before my kabocha madness I had it like this with some sriricha on top.

2014-04-07 14.06.22

Classy style on a paper plate.

I might need some help though since my pantry now has an overload of canned salmon and tuna. You can only make this and/or grain free salmon pizza crust so many times. Ha.

Anyone have any good tuna or salmon recipes or ideas?

What’s your favorite way to eat it?

Or other fun things to do with that Hot and Sweet Trader Joe’s Mustard? I swear Heather said she puts it on blueberries. What?

Comments

Lizzie says:

Mixing mashed avocado with tuna or salmon is delicious.

Sam says:

I LOVE canned tuna, it’s such a convenient way to get high quality protein and omega threes. If I’m in a rush I mix it with sea salt, lemon juice, olive oil, lots of black pepper, some Dijon mustard, and olives; I put that on top of some greens with balsamic vinegar and red onion and pretend I’m eating salade nicoise at a cute bistro in France.

When I have a little more time I like to copy the Italian tuna et tonnate. It sounds fancy, but it’s SO easy. You cook together onions, garlic, canned tuna, canned tomatoes, capers, and oregano. It makes a delicious sauce–I like it on top of store-bought polenta

Joe says:

I second mixing mashed avocado with tuna – I love that combo.
    I’ll also mix tuna with a bit of plain Greek yogurt or cottage cheese.
    Cottage cheese, chopped raw mushrooms & tuna is a favorite, even if it sounds weird.

I like tuna mixed with avocado, olives, tomatoes, pickles – whatever I have around that I can chop up!!

bethp262 says:

I love the salmon cakes recipe from “It Starts with Food”. I usually make a double batch then I have them for a few days to have with a salad or whatever. I make mine with a little more hot sauce than the recipe calls for (I’d imagine you’d like them spicier, too!) and no dill because I’m not a fan. :)

Erica says:

I need to try that mustard yum! Is it true that Michael is joining GMA? I heard someone say that. I love that you can take pictures while balancing on the bosu- extra core points ;)

Sherry says:

Salmon cakes are a big thing here in the south. Like crab cakes. Chopped bell pepper, onion, garlic, egg white and bread crumbs. If you don’t mind ritz crackers- crush those instead of bread crumbs. Pan fry in coconut oil or bake and broil last 5 mins to crisp up. I soemtimes add dill or fresh parsley and red pepper. Enjoy!

Erika says:

I loved canned tuna or salmon mixed with Trader Joe’s olive tapenade (refrigerated version)…so yummy!

I feel you on the just needing a little time to breathe and relax. I’ve been feeling like that a lot lately – sometimes we just need to regroup!

Meagan says:

I like Kelly and Michael too! It’s a great show, I can only watch it when I visit my parents though, cuz they have a TV ;)

Love Kelly Ripa. She has my dream job-chat for an hour a day in cute clothes with celebs? Heck yes.

I hate mayo too! I like to use NF Greek yogurt to moisten the tuna (along with some dill, onion powder, and pickles)

Melissa says:

Mayo is nasty mcnasty. I can’t even have it on the same shelf as my big jugs in the fridge. Ha.
    Avocado for the win. Or Greek yogurt.

Ooh, that mustard is going on my TJ’s list next time!

I love using mustard instead of mayo for everything! My deviled eggs are nice and yellow from the mustard, not yolks. Although I have yolks too!

Anyway, I used canned salmon to make coconut salmon cakes and love them. They are easy and you can use tuna too. Here’s the link to my recipe. If you try it, please let me know how you like it!

Meredith says:

I always go for the tuna/greek yogurt/dijon mustard combo

And i just got the Mrs. Dash extra spicy seasoning so I’m excited!

Speaking of sauces/spices.. my ALL TIME favorite hot sauce, literally like can’t substitute anything else is Melinda’s garlic habanero.. (this one http://hotsaucezone.com/product/melindas-garlic-habanero-pepper-sauce/) so if you have never tried it I recommend it entirely!!!! It helps that I’m a massive fan of garlic

Okay Meredith, too funny, because we LOVE Melinda’s. It’s the same as Marie Sharps and we had it in Belize with every meal. LOVE IT!!!!! I need to try out this garlic one though. YUM!

I would fall right off that BOSU! :) I am a major overpronator so.. ;)

You already know I love that TJs mustard AND have loved Mrs. Dash for years & years!!! I love the extra spicy – hubby, not so much! :)

Kristen says:

I have a major food aversion to mayo (as in please don’t put the jar in front of anything I might need in the fridge). I like to mix canned tuna with lemon juice and zest or chopped up pickles. If I use the pickles I’ll also add just a smidge of the pickle juice from the jar.