Boston 2 Big Sur Challenge Complete- A Dream Come True

Holy smokes.

I’m not ready to write a full recap just yet, I pretty much just said everything on my instagram post.

Right now I’m trying to let it all sink in a bit and not cry.

Friends, we did it.

2014-04-27 10.26.51

This will be quick, otherwise I’ll get all sappy and emotional and stuff and you all don’t need that right now, especially so soon after the 2014 Boston Marathon recap.

So a lengthy recap will be on the way later, but I just need to tell you that today has been amazing.

2014-04-27 06.41.24

I got to run the race I had only dreamed of running.

I now know exactly why the Big Sur Marathon is on the Forbes Top Ten Marathons Worth Traveling For list.

Truth be told, I wasn’t entirely sure how things would turn out today, I didn’t really have any time goals or anything set which was good because I conveniently left my GPS charging at the hotel. I’m so smart sometimes.

I really wanted to just run and take it all in.

That’s exactly what I did.

I was smiling from ear to ear pretty much the whole race (with the exception of that rather long hill up to Hurricane Point- that’s no joke). Seriously, the whole race I just kept thinking to myself how blessed I am.

Last year I wanted this so bad. A year ago I was told many times to find another “hobby” and a few doctors told me that people with my hip dysplasia problem couldn’t be distance runners.

It’s a good thing I don’t listen.

In this post from last year I wrote these exact words:

“Phew. I’m 99% sure I’m forgetting something, but seriously, the Big Sur Marathon is REALLY on my bucket list now. I WILL be back for the Boston 2 Big Sur Challenge next year.”

This year I did just that and was back for the whole Boston 2 Big Sur Challenge.

image

This year I ran my heart out.

2014-04-27 10.06.27

This year I was and still am overwhelmed with gratitude.

This year I got a marathon PR by 2 seconds (3:17:43).

I had said last night that I was particularly excited to cross that finish line today. It was a huge dream I wanted to accomplish and there were quite a few bumps in the road getting here today, but I knew if I set my mind and heart to something that it could happen.

And it did.

And at the finish line I cashed in on that tweet from my man Bart Yasso.

2014-04-27 10.07.44-2

There was also a very special someone waiting at the finish line for me.

2014-04-27 10.08.51

Yep.

I’m not alone this weekend. My main man who puts up with way too much to even list on here was there. He may have missed me crossing the finish line because he claims he was reading my blog at the time, but hey, he was there. From the moment I started the race today I could not wait to see him at the finish and give him the biggest hug ever.

None of this would be possible without him. He is my rock and my support and although he is not really a huge fan of running and racing and currently says he has shin splints from walking to the finish today, I can not thank him enough for being my life partner along on this crazy ride.

And with that, I’m going to enjoy the rest of the evening with him.

Let me just say though before I go that no dream is too big.

Don’t listen to anyone who tells you that you can’t do something. Prove them wrong. If it’s in your heart, you can do it.

2014-04-27 14.25.01

It takes work, dedication and a lot of sacrifice, but just like my man Ronald Miller from Cant’ Buy Me Love says, “You can do anything you want. Anything you put your heart and mind into.”

And you know what? Sometimes you’re capable of even more than you think.

2014-04-27 14.27.21

And you know what else? The MAN above just does NOT give up on you. Time and time again I have made some pretty dumb decisions. Time and time again He keeps giving me another chance to get it right.

Huge hugs to all of you just because I feel like giving you all one.

I’m just going to pretend the feeling is mutual.

See you soon! Thank you for your continued support through all of this.

It’s YOUR turn to dream big!

Comments

Soooo proud and inspired of and by you. <3

That’s amazing! Congratulations! I’m so glad you had such a great race, bask in the glow of your accomplishment and maybe have a treat or two 🙂

Rene' says:

Awesome, Awesome, Awesome! Enjoy your evening!

Dani says:

NO DREAM IS TOO BIG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations and thank you for being a source of inspiration. AMAZING!!!!

Kristin says:

Kristin, I can only hope that someday I can do exactly what you’re doing right now. I have no idea how you do it, you’re like superwoman (; I’m injured right now and you give me hope that I can get over it and come back better than ever just like you did. You’re such an inspiration to me, congratulations on the marathons! Boston was an incredible experience for me as well. I hope you enjoy some recovery time now!

Jill A says:

You are amazing! Congratulations for the PR and most importantly for completing something you were told you couldn’t. Thank you for being such an inspiration!

Meagan Madere says:

Holy cow. YOU ARE AMAZING! Congrats on both marathons!!! I can only imagine how you are feeling right now 🙂

GREAT JOB, Kristen!! Looks like an absolutely amazing course. Enjoy your evening with the Hubs 🙂

Emz says:

Way to go rockstar!!

Laura P says:

Wow, congrats on the awards!! So glad your husband was able to be there with you!

Erica says:

Gahhhhh!!!! Congrats

I love all of this! You deserved such an amazing day – as a friend, a woman, a runner, a mother, a wife and a dreamer! Xoxo

So amazing, Kristin!! Yes- I’ll gladly give you a huge. 🙂 What an awesome accomplishment, especially that you were able to overcome the hip issues and prove everyone wrong. And a new pr on such a difficult course, less than a week after Boston? I am in awe!

Melissa says:

Holy smokes! What a great race for you! A PR and awards, too! Amazing! I’m going to keep you in mind during my first half-marathon next Sunday!

Allyssa says:

I LOVE your blog and you are such an inspiration!!! CONGRATS 🙂

Susan says:

So inspiring to this 53 year old coming back from a nagging injury! Wow! I read your blog and I feel like I CAN do a half marathon again,,and maybe even a full marathon! Thank you for sharing all of your journeys ! I am taking it slow and steady, but so motivated to keep going!
    Thank you!! And a huge congratulations!

Congrats!!!!!! Amazing job! Kick back and relax with your main man. You earned it!

Mallory says:

I remember reading your blog last year and you being so bummed about not being able to run this race, but congrats on not only a PR in this marathon but completing Boston. Boston was an amazing race to be a spectator at and I am sure an even more incredible to actually run it. Congrats!

chaminda says:

Awesome, Awesome, Awesome!
    Congratulations on amazing job!

Brittnee says:

I had goosebumps reading this post!!! You are such an inspiration!! I love that, “no dream is too big.” I am running my first marathon this weekend, and after training for one last fall and getting hurt, I didn’t know if I’d ever get my dream, but I never gave up. Reading your blog when you were going through your injury gave me hope that I could come back strong as well. Not as speedy as you of course 😉 Congratulations on two incredible races!!! Enjoy your time with your family to celebrate and take it all in!!!! You deserve it!

Congrats! I was suppose to be there this year running the marathon! My sister Lacey was there running. Did you see her?
    She did the B2B last year but only did Big Sur this year! I know that was a big deal for her, so I know how excited you are of this accomplishment. Great job! I hope to see you at another race sometime soon!

April says:

Congratulations on your accomplishments, there are not many people out there that can set such an enormous goal…and achieve it in just one year. You are truly an inspiration Kristin. 🙂

Jenny says:

Awesome!!! And you are right….and I love to hear it. The man up above it AWESOME!

I’m going to say this again – you are truly incredible!!!
    Way to go with a PR!!
    Mostly, I’m just so happy for you and the fact that you accomplished this huge goal.
    And, I’m sort-of laughing about your husband and his shin splints from walking to the finish that he missed while reading your blog – he sounds like my husband:) I’m glad that you have such a huge supporter and that you are spending the evening being with him!

This post just gave me the biggest smile!!! So happy for you.

J @ semplicemente ... J says:

Can’t wait for the complete recap. Would love to be able to travel for more races. Hopefully soon! Congratulations!!

Wow so amazing! Awesome job!

Sherry says:

I am so happy for you! And I love your faithfulness in our Heavenly Father. Your line about Him not giving up on us- made me cry! Thank you for reminding me of His grace and loving actions!

Michelle says:

CONGRATULATIONS!! So happy for you!

Michelle says:

Kristin, you are so incredibly talented and humble! We all believed you could do it–please take time to savor your success. Thank you for sharing the ride with us and letting this slow poke live vicariously through your accomplishments!!!
    Michelle, triplet mom from Irvine

Apryle says:

I could feel your heart in this post. I am so happy for you! It warms my heart more than I can express to hear of someone leaving it ALL out on the road and finishing a race (or should I say races) triumphant! Congratulations!

Shay says:

CONGRATS! That is just so amazing and inspiring!

Theodora says:

CONGRATS! Amazing work.

Jen says:

I’m guilty of never commenting on your posts unless it’s a giveaway (hey I’m a busy girl, a full time biomedical engineering student, marathon training, working, and a new puppy owner) but you’ve always inspired me to be myself and embrace waving my “freak flag” high. Your posts are real and honest and I have a ton of respect for you. Congratulations you truly deserve it, love yourself more every day and keep doing what you’re doing because it brightens my life, and I’m sure many others.

Chrissy says:

Congrats! You are awesome! I can’t wait for the full recap. Amazing that you got a PR without your GPS.

You inspire me. I have a half marathon coming up in less than a week. I am no newbie to distance running, but this is my first half marathon after having my 3 month old. I feel strong, but I am still super nervous. Thanks for giving me the pep talk!! I am going to rock it out 🙂

So amazing, Congrats, lady!

You are amazing friend!! SO proud of you and excited for you!

Yay! So super excited for you. Such an amazing achievement. Beyond amazing.

Congrats on a PR!! You have come SO far in a year!!

lexa says:

Congratulations on the PR!!! You look so happy. What a difference a year makes.

Oh….so sweet….seems like a very he artful and heavy heart run/weekend for you!!

Denise says:

Congratulations, such an amazing accomplishment . I LOVE how positive you are & how you look at the big picture and see the good in it. I’ve been in a negative mood lately, especially about running, and you make me realize I need to work on changing that. THANKS !!

Colleen says:

SO HAPPY for you!!!!!!! You are an inspiration lady! THANK YOU and way to go!!

Nicole says:

You are so awesome!! Plain & simple! Congratulations!!!

Smitha says:

You are pretty freaking awesome! Way to go lady on that shiny PR! And consider yourself hugged by me!

MILF Runner says:

So impressive! Go YOU!!!! I think it’s great that you’re still running since it is what really makes your heart sing. As someone with hip dysplasia who DID just have a very young hip replacement surgery, I feel compelled to share with you my understanding of this “beast”. Staying strong and active is super important. Keeping your hips strong and balanced will prolong their healthy functioning. The high-impact nature of running will, ultimately, cause wear and tear on your hip joints (age and time just DO) and the dysplastic nature of your hips will accelerate that degeneration. The doctors say “best not to run” because they don’t want this to happen to you as a young person…not because they’re meany-meany-jellybeanies. A hip replacement is a big deal. And while they are very advanced and life-transforming, the implants do have a lifespan. Once that lifespan is at an end, a revision is necessary. Revisions never work quite as well as the first surgery…they just don’t. Once that revision has been lived out, another revision is necessary. Again, not going to be as awesome as the one previous. As a young person, you would be looking at more than one revision in your lifetime. I say these things not as some sort of scary cautionary tale, just giving you the facts from the other side 🙂 Good for you for keeping active in the way that makes your heart sing. I stopped running, thinking it would help prolong the inevitable, and that was a big mistake. Huge congrats on your PR and grabbing that Boston-to-Big-Sur goal!

Jennifer says:

Congrats on the PR!!!! You are sure speedy! I am so happy your husband was able to make the trip with you!

Tracy says:

Congratulations, Kristin! You rock!!

You are amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sam says:

You are so incredible and such an inspiration! Rock ON!

What’s next on your list of amazing achievements to conquer? 🙂

Bridget says:

shin splints, too much!!!

1. […] not quite ready to write a full recap about yesterday’s race just yet. It’s going to be all emotional and stuff and I’m just not ready to go there yet. Hope […]

2. […] went for a little test run later on. My first run since the Big Sur Marathon Sunday. I had my friends […]

3. […] rough, but I’m not surprised as that was my third weekend in a row racing and after the whole Boston 2 Big Sur Challenge I think my body needs some down time. I just couldn’t pass up the opportunity to race where the […]