A Soap Sale and My Least Favorite Fortune

I got to run outside yesterday.

Before I even started my run my Nike+ told me I had run my fastest marathon ever.

2014-05-23 08.47.47

Now that is fast. Ha. I’m not sure what happened. I guess I never finished my run the last time I used it on Monday and it was still going while I was driving home or something. Not sure I’ll ever be able to beat that time though. Watch out Deena Kastor.

Speaking of, here’s a cool little article from Competitor Group where Deena talks about her recent record breaking and the Boston Marathon.

Interview with Deena Kastor

It’s always inspirational for me to read about older runners and runners who have kids.

Back to the run. I have to schedule my outside runs in advance and usually only get to do them once or twice a week. Yesterday I wanted to get in a double digit run before the race next weekend and STUFT Daddy doesn’t work Fridays so it was pretty much my only chance.

The weather was perfect.

2014-05-23 10.02.55

I ran a hilly route. I could definitely tell I haven’t been running hills as much as I should lately.

About seven miles in I realized I really had to pee and I had a blister on my toe. That wasn’t fun. I thought I might to squat on the side of the road or something, but just kept running and it went away. It made me think though, what do you do if you have to pee in the middle of a long run and there aren’t any bathrooms? I have yet to ever have to go on the side of the road or anything, but I bet there are people out there who do, right? Have you?

I had set out for 14 miles, but miscalculated and ended with 15.18.

2014-05-23 11.15.26

Never sweating without a Halo. Ha ha. Seriously though, that sweat band makes all the difference.

2014-05-23 11.16.37

I forgot to start my Mizuno Baton until I was about 2 miles in, but I still made a little over $13 dollars for Back On My Feet.

2014-05-23 11.18.33

I had my new recovery drink immediately afterwards (with spinach instead of kale).

2014-05-23 11.25.52

Totally random, but when I’m running less that 16 miles I usually run without my fuel belt. No water or anything.

Let’s see, just a couple highlights from the busy day afterwards.

We were out of hand soap and toilet paper. Not a good combination. Talked the family into stopping at the mall really quick so I could stock up. Huge sale at Bath and Body Works friends.

2014-05-23 13.34.452014-05-23 13.34.53

We will not be running out of soap any time soon.

2014-05-23 18.03.17

And really, the sale that they have going on this weekend (online and in stores) is awesome. I got an email with a coupon code for 20% your entire purchase. If you want me to forward it to you email me (stuftmama@stuftfitness.com) and I’ll send it to you.

We hit up a buffet for lunch.

2014-05-23 13.54.56

We definitely ate our money’s worth.

I’m not too sure about the fortunes though.

Joaquin got a good one.

2014-05-23 15.02.04

Mine, well, it was not really my favorite.

2014-05-23 15.01.20

Right? I’ve seen poor fortunes before, but this one may top it. K.M.S.? Maybe it’s a sign.

Costco on a Friday afternoon on Memorial Day weekend was not the best decision, but we powered through.

I only have two highlights to show you.

They have this rotisserie chicken meat again. Love to freeze this in baggies for individual servings.

2014-05-23 15.45.14

And since my jalapeño plants haven’t gotten any peppers yet I had to stock up on these.

2014-05-23 16.02.15

Ha ha.

Okay, time to do the boot camp thing and then we have a retirement party for a very special lady.

Have a great day!

Questions for you:

Have you ever had to pee on the side of the road or anything in the middle of a run?

Have you ever gotten a weird fortune?

Comments

I have never peed on the side of the road (or anywhere outside) – I have serious issues and am sort of a prissybutt!!!
    Enjoy your holiday weekend!!!

Awesome run! I just got finished running outside and it is the PERFECT temperature! I have only peed on the side of the road I think MAYBE once. Usually I try to find somewhere to stop if possible, or a port-a-potty

Marianne says:

Oh….I will pee whenever, wherever! My running buddies back in college actually called me “one who pees in bushes”. Find a semi-secluded place and enjoy the relief. I also run with a few tissues 😉

Hyla says:

I’ve never had to make a road-side pit stop, fortunately, but I hate having to pee when I’m running!!! haha
    Have a great weekend!!

That fortune – I saw on IG – cracked me up!!!! What is that all about!

Well, at 56, I can tell you all about having to go to the bathroom while I do my outside run!!!! No matter how many times I go first… it is so hard in old age.. 🙂 I was better when I was young.. things change Kristin, be prepared! 🙂

Mollie K says:

where do you get those giant tubs of jalapenos!! YUM!!! and I love that brand! Costco?! Have a great wknd 🙂

natasha says:

I will pee anywhere with no shame. Except for the few times someone just happened to show up right behind me before I noticed. Ah…the lovely moon glow (: People always pretend they didn’t notice. Ha! I’ve also peed into cups in my car. No shame, no shame.

Funny story…I was camping and hate port-a-potties so one late night i peed outside and the next day was covered in poison ivy. Let’s just say I had to scratch in private and was terribly uncomfortable for days if not weeks. Moral of story…Ugh…always look down to check where you are about to pee and don’t use those leaves to wipe (:

Totally peed behind a bush on a loney trail today. First time ever. Felt like a rite of passage or something

Pam says:

On the subject of Costco.. Can you post a pic of the spicy carrots that you referenced a few weeks (or so) ago… I want to know what to look for.

Oh my I will pee wherever, no shame. The stories I could tell you. I even have a friend that pooped her pants mid run, thankfully she was by herself. And no, this “friend” is definitely not me.

Melissa S. says:

I have been close to peeing, or, er, you know but have been able to make it home or to a bathroom.

I could not find the chicken at Costco to save my life!!! I will have to go to the other one by my house to look. I was so mad that they didn’t have it 🙁

Sam says:

Men definitely have it easier where peeing on the side of the road is concerned (men have it easier in a lot of ways…) I have never had to relieve myself during a long run (I think that running does something weird to my fluid balance) but I CERTAINLY have had to make use of the bushes many time while I have been out on my bike for long tours. I’ve also pulled over on the side of the highway on the way up to the ski area early in the morning several times. I think the combination of coffee and spandex makes emergency pit stops much more necessary. Luckily I’ve learned to realize that looking ridiculous is a small price to pay for bodily comfort :).

I also don’t take gus or water with me for anything under 14 miles….too much trouble.

Lisa says:

During marathon training my long runs were significantly shortened by the several stages of needing to pee in an isolated place.
    1: Denial (miles 2-4) – Nooo! I can’t need to pee already…..If I wait will it go away?
    2: Acceptance (miles 4-6) – Okay, this is happening. Lets find a quiet field with a non scary fence and no spectators, guard dogs or bulls.
    3: Relief – OMG I’m so happy I do not need to pee anymore. Yay! All is well in the world!

Usually at this point many miles have been ticked off so less time left for boredom.

I have recently learned that peeing on a run can’t hold a candle to peeing off the back of a speedboat in croc infested waters. I will never complain about jumping a fence again!