A Song, Something You Must Try and a Little Inspiration

Hello friends!

Random STUFT happenings as of late coming at you this fine evening (or day actually since you’ll probably be reading this tomorrow).

My favorite job has been in full effect over here. Less time working, more time with my main men. Win win.

Yesterday I got a little help from them when we decided to go exploring to keep breaking in my new trail shoes.

2014-06-16 11.22.002014-06-16 11.19.43

Yes, the whistle is a must and yes, a certain someone always gets distracted. I wonder where he gets that.

2014-06-16 11.19.50

We stayed on the pavement for the most part and probably made it just about a mile round trip. They sure decided to pick up the pace though when the finish line ( otherwise known as my dirty car) was in sight.

2014-06-16 11.30.34

Funny guys.

I’ll get in one more trail run with the shoes before writing a review, but so far they’re pretty awesome.

I taught a super sweaty spin class yesterday.

New song on my playlist (thanks to the Muppet Movie Soundtrack we still have on repeat daily over here) is We Built This City.

Not this version, but you’re welcome.

We did a hill climb to the song, added gear and pushed the new gear seated and then picked up the pace and got out of the saddle for the chorus. It’s a good one and I totally plan on using it again tomorrow morning.

Oh and one of my favorite stretches after class is this hamstring one.

2014-06-16 12.51.10

I guess you can’t really see it, but foot on the bike, lean forward with your knee just slightly bent. Good stuff.

I taught a few classes last night also.

Three outfit changes throughout the day. Lots of sweat and smiles.

2014-06-16 18.33.37

Yep. I love my Mondays.

I’ve been digging fresh basil lately.

2014-06-16 19.55.28

That’s my personal plant thanks to Andrew. I’m so spoiled.

Last night I made a meatza pizza out of a turkey burger and make up a couple Portobello mushroom pizzas also.

2014-06-16 20.09.562014-06-16 20.09.02

They were absolutely delicious. Seriously, you can make pizzas out of anything.

Today the basil went on a huge bowl of air popped popcorn.

2014-06-17 14.01.57

Oh heck yes. If you haven’t tried adding fresh basil and balsamic vinegar to popcorn you must try it. I also added garlic salt and crushed red pepper, but those pretty much go on anything and everything around here.

Yes, I will say it again, you need to try this.

My run this morning on the treadmill was a little tough to start, but fabulous to finish.

2014-06-17 07.38.06

Did the whole 11.11 on purpose for good luck and all.

Also told myself this was the last time I was going to wear these shorts from Target that I bought in the 90’s.

2014-06-17 07.38.20

I mean seriously, I need to get rid of them already, but props to Target for making shorts that last over ten years.

I had a few thoughts this morning about my run because, let’s be honest, getting up at 5:00 am in the morning to get on the treadmill is not fun sometimes.

But…..

the process and the journey of living your dreams and putting in the hard work to get to the destination, well, that’s just one heck of a glorious feeling.

Every early wake up and every little step gets you a little closer to your true potential. You never know  just how much you were made for unless you put yourself out there and go for it.

So with that, here’s some other inspiration I found just this morning on instagram. I love instagram by the way. It’s my favorite.

2014-06-17 05.33.55

(from @runtrimom)

I totally think of the boys when I want to quit.

2014-06-17 07.43.19

(source- @nycmarathon)

Will do. I only know how to do things with baby steps anyway so it’s a darn good thing they get us somewhere.

Enjoy the journey friends. Whatever yours might be.

2014-06-17 07.50.08

Do it.

Good night!

What small steps are you taking towards a goal?

Feelings on fresh basil- what do you like adding it to?

Oldest pair of workout shorts or pants- go.

Comments

Apryle says:

I admire how you post daily devotions and you favorite passages on some posts. I have two young kids and have been praying about how to care for them and return to work and restart my career. I feel very blessed to be able to have the choice to stay home with them, but the idea of a full fledged adult career is captivating. Much to my dismay and surprise, I feel I have received an answer to my prayers. The answer has been given to me and even though it is not what I want it is to stay home and be a mom, at least for the next few months. I tell you this because my steps toward a goal didn’t work out the way I thought they should. I feel like I have been told that I and my momness (yes I just made up that word) are very important and my kids need me to be someone or something RIGHT NOW. This is more important than any personal goal I have been working towards. To some this may sound weird and to other moms, well, I know they are in the same boat.
    Basil! I love basil, on EVERYTHING!
    My oldest pair of workout shorts are awesome and nothing will make me get rid of them. EVER.

I have so many old items I wouldn’t know which one to share……I just can’t get rid of stuff until it has holes and screams “throw me away now!”

Little baby steps towards being a better ME. One that enjoys her sweet treats, doesn’t feel guilty about NOT exercising daily, is there for my kids however they may need me, keeps the house organized, husband happy, part time job in check, and do a little volunteering on the side to feel fulfilled in a completely different way. ;-)

Marybeth says:

You always talk about dreaming big and reaching for goals and all, but you’ve never said what your “destination” goal is. ??

Dolly says:

You know I agree with you Mary beth, I felt like I was being mean, but I don’t understand the constant high mileage that STUFT mama runs. I get that she has big dreams and big dreams take hard work…

I love to run, and sometimes it is hard to get started and I always feel good after I run. But, there are some days when my body is truly tired and I make my body rest, My legs then thank me for taking the time off.

I guess this blog doesn’t meet my needs. I admire STUFT’s speed and how well she performs with her constant high mileage. But, I had to take a step back from reading because I felt like I was being lazy and not doing enough training. What works for her, won’t work for me and vise a versa.

My latest goal is to run up all the hills I come to on my run. I am so mentally terrible at conquering hills, and it needs to stop! I just tell myself that no matter how slowly I’m going, eventually I’ll be at the top. Literally, it’s baby steps!!

Fresh basil is good on EVERYTHING. I like putting it on salads. And just plain with tomato and mozzarella. Boom.

I have an addidas shirt that is SO small for me, but I still wear it sometimes. It’s gotta be like 7 years old.

marti says:

I have to comment and say i always finish my runs on .11… no idsa why! Haha! Hopefully it is good luck!

Sherry says:

15 year old pair of Nike shorts! Comfy and love wearing them even though the look is so not cool. However, what I love about them is that they still fit after all those years — they might even be a little loose! :)

I have a few big goals in my head and every day my goal is just to progress. It doesn’t have to be a big step, or anything crazy it is just about putting one foot in front of the other and making progress!

Such cuties to go on that “trail” run with you! :) You always amaze me with how many classes you teach – I would be dead on the floor!!!

I can certainly beat you on old clothes!!! I have a couple tops that go back 15+++ years! :) I have stuff I just need to throw!

Sam says:

Fresh basil on popcorn? You are a mad GENIUS! ‘We Built This City’ is SO GOOD. I’ve totally seen Starship live (they played a free concert at the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk when I was in college), it was a blast! I hadn’t seen the muppet version yet, but I might love their rendition even more…I know what I’ll be listening to all afternoon, my lab-mates might not be too pleased :) .

I love the reminder about baby steps. Incremental progress is still progress! I’m troubleshooting an experiment at my work in a microbiology lab, which means doing the same thing over and over and over again, changing one tiny detail at a time (10 minute incubation or 20 minutes, 37 degrees or 30 degrees?). It’s frustrating while I’m in it, but the end result is worth it!

I can’t wait for some pro-compression action at the R’n'R sea expo!

Friend…I have 2 halfs and 4 marathons in a row. I chickened out of the Big Cottonwood full mary in september and opted to get my september full in Ventura. I decided to solicit training plans from IG =). I kinda love IG too. Did you see my dance video last week? today? lol… anyway, the baby steps is to stick to the plan. I decided to go with Pete Pfitzingers marathon plan. Last week I logged 37 miles. This week, 50, next week 54! So far so good. I’ve been waking up at 4am to get in the run before the heat. It’s awful here right now with summer. Basil on pizza for the win.

I think that we need to hang out!!! I want to take all of your classes and we can run together and you can show me how to make healthy food choices and wine!!! Oh, and workout clothes all day!!!
    (BTW – I’m not a creeper – I just think we would have a grand time!!)

Luna says:

mmmm… I love basil!!!I love “pesto sauce” as well. I was just thinking about making my own with nutritional yeast instead of parmigiano cheese…
    Oh, and this would probably sounds weird but, *nice teeth* :)