The Best Morning Read and How My Boys Eat Fruit

Happy Sunday!

I realized today that Sundays at home when I’m not racing and/or traveling are truly a gift. They’re like a little gift of time and I love them. Yes, yes I do.

I did the elliptical for a bit and then did a little trail exploring with the boys. The rest of my working out has been practicing the dance moves Judah’s been teaching us and a little cleaning cardio. Easy day.

Speaking of dancing, last night we had yet another dance party around here.

2014-06-28 20.57.022014-06-28 20.59.14

Family style obviously.

Oh and my first ghost chilies of the year are finally showing up. I’m pretty pumped.

2014-06-28 19.35.26

When I was getting out of bed this morning Judah reminded me I had to read “God’s Book” (Jesus Calling).

This was the perfect thing to read this morning.

2014-06-29 08.01.57

I mean, really. Perfect.

My thoughts first thing in the morning are always anxious ones. I need to work on getting into the right frame of mind first thing. Such a great reminder, yes?

Other highlights of our day so far have included finally getting some chicken eggs.

2014-06-29 12.10.372014-06-29 12.11.38

Today we got three. Things are looking up.

We’ve also been eating quite a bit of fruit today (and popcorn) among other things.

I’ve been eating that Vega protein dark chocolate sauce on apples lately. So darn good with a little peanut free NuttZo in the mix too.

2014-06-28 13.22.24

So darn good.

Yes, so we’ve been big on pushing the fruit eating around here. Our favorites lately are homegrown grapes, cherries and Fuji apples.

The boys are now asking to have me cut the seeds out of cherries.

2014-06-29 08.28.35

I mean really. There are a million other things I’d rather be doing with my time. I’m trying to teach them how fun it is to spit out the seeds, but it’s taking longer than expected.

I swear I saw a cool thing that takes the seeds out of cherries at Bed, bath and Beyond or something. Is there such a thing? More importantly, is it worth it? Someone help me.

And the only way they like apples is like this.

2014-06-29 14.35.43

Wait, there’s a cool apple peeler thing too out there, isn’t there?

Hmm…….

One last thing I saw on instagram today that I have to pass along from Steve Maraboli.

2014-06-29 10.23.39

[source]

Love everything about this quote.

It’s not what we say or write or say what we’re going to do, it’s what we ACTUALLY do (especially when no one is watching) that is our true character.

LOVE.

Oh, and there’s just a few hours left to enter to win the USA Halo Headband. I want to make sure the 4 winners have them by the 4th! ENTER HERE if you haven’t yet!

Enjoy the rest of your Sunday night!

See you bright and early tomorrow morning!

Does anyone have an apple peeler or thing that takes pits out of cherries? Is there even such a thing?

Any inspirational reads from the day?

Comments

Laura L says:

You need a cherry pitter! I got one at Bed Bath & Beyond that does four cherries at a time. It’s genius

Whoa those ghost peppers!!!! Will you throw them straight into your egg scramble?! And we got eggs one time from a neighbor that had laying hens. The eggs were all kinds of color!

Your goal should be just out of reach, but not out of sight.

And…don’t worry be happy!!!!

elizabeth says:

I had a cherry pitter, but I passed it on to a friend, since I don’t get cherries very often here. It worked well though, especially if you want to pit a bunch at a time.
    I just made the chocolate sauce and its really good! I don’t usually like sauces that include protein powder, but I used GRowng Naturals choc powder and it worked fine, I think because you add 2T cocoa and only 1 T prot powder. I didn’t eat it all because I was afraid all the cocoa might make it hard to get to sleep and I want to get up early for a run in the morning. Have a good night!

Erika C says:

Funny! Pitting cherries is the last thing I want to do also, but the twins love them so I’m trying to teach them to just eat around the seed. Maybe by the end of summer… I’m off to BBabd Beyond to buy a coffee grinder. Can’t complain, it lasted 16 years! Guess a cherry pitter is on my shopping list too! Ha! Is the name of you daily readings Jesus Calling? I’d like to purchase it. Seems like a great thing to integrate into my mornings with the kiddos.

elizabeth says:

I know you usually make up your own recipes, but I’ve made this hummus, which uses 1T hot sauce, a couple times and thought you might like it, http://ohsheglows.com/2013/10/04/no-meat-athlete-buffalo-hummus-recipe/.
    I use less salt, less tahini and more lemon, water instead of oil and Cholula for the hot sauce.

Yes, I have an apple peeler…I think I got it from one of those home parities….”Tastefully Simple” or something like that??? I must say we use it a lot….at the beginning the kids loved to watch the apples being peeled just to eat them ~ hubby cannot peel an apple without butchering the thing to death so the peeler was/is a miracle machine in his eyes and the curly peel is very “appealing” ….no pun intended!!

I showed Jordan your ghost pepper plan – he thinks it’s awesome and is wondering why I can’t grow things.
    I don’t have a cherry pitter but here is a link for one that will make your day much easier!!!

SamanthaK says:

Ghost Pepper? I’m going to guess those would make a green bell pepper taste like an apple?! ha!

I have an apple peeler/corer/slicer from Pampered Chef. I think I have a love hate relationship with it–when you have home grown apples, they can be odd sizes and shapes so they don’t work too well in it. If you have more uniform shaped (read: store bought) apples, it works pretty slick. Your boys would probably enjoy peeling their own apples with something like that.

Also–thanks for the mental reminder that I should dig out my devotional book I received as a gift and start reading it!!

i love, love , love that quote. I pray that the gospel is preached through my behavior… however, sometimes i know the exact opposite is preached…

Jill Morris says:

I have a cherry pitter and it’s fancy and works…but then I read the other day you can use a plain ol’ straw. Genius. I’m trying that pronto!

Holly B says:

Try spiralizing your apples with the spiralizer you use for zoodles and I bet the boys will eat them with the skin on! Use the big blade for wider slices and dip in peanut butter 🙂

LOL I saw that cherry photo on IG and was wondering if you purchased them like that! Unfortunately no tips for either fruit! My sis hated the apple skin and I was the weirdo that loved it so my mom would peel it off and give it to me. Hey, no wasting 😉

1. […] bracing myself for one heck of a crazy busy day, but keeping in mind that brilliant reading from yesterday. Oh and thanks for some of the cherry pitting suggestions. There are actually quite […]