Playing Hooky

Not sure about you, but I only played hooky from school once. I asked Mom’s permission first too of course for “senior ditch day”. That’s just how I was. Wait, I’m still like that actually.

Yesterday the boys were in need of a little extra attention and Mama love so we focused on that pretty much all day.

2014-07-17 09.18.15 HDR

We have been loving our pool time lately.

Oh and hey, our gym got some of these cool new belts.

2014-07-17 09.20.35

I had to try it out for a few running laps yesterday. I might be doing a little more of that this weekend.

I taught a couple classes at the gym last night and had a few thoughts along with this view on the way home.

2014-07-17 19.46.52

I feel like I’ve been working extra hard just to keep my head above water lately with everything. With that said, I haven’t really been doing that great of a job of it either.

I don’t know, I guess I’m just a little overwhelmed with life stuff. I’m sure we all are, but I usually let things build up until I have a breakdown and hit bottom. I really don’t want that to happen, so I’m playing hooky today and calling it a weekend.

I’m giving myself some extra time to rest, to spend more quality time with the family (we’re going to see the new Planes movie today) and to just get things in order.

So, here I go. Playing hooky. I’m such a rebel. Ha ha.

Enjoy your weekend friends.

I’ll leave you with a couple of my favorite inspiring things I found from the past couple of days.

It’s been almost six months since I did the STUFT 60 Challenge for Sixty Feet. It’s almost time to do something like that again to give back. I saw this tweet earlier today.

Gosh I love that quote.

Then I saw this awesome success story about a boy that Sixty Feet helped resettle.Here’s what they say about the story.

The work of resettling children is difficult and labor intensive. So when we have a story as inspiring and uplifting as Sampson’s, we can’t help but share it. Our gospel-soaked counseling program is seeing some tangible results and the response that Sampson has to it makes all the long hours worth while. The following account comes from our 2nd quarter report submitted to the UG government regarding our work in returning children to their families.

They do some amazing work over there in Uganda.

And again, thank you to instagram for these:

2014-07-15 18.51.08_thumb[1]2014-07-16 11.55.23_thumb2014-07-17 21.01.47

Anyone else ever feel like they just have to play hooky?

Comments

YES go relax lady you totally deserve it!! I never played hooky from school, but I do from work. I call it mental health days!

Sometimes, you need to rest K…don’t beat yourself up over it…
    and truth be told, you sucked me in after I watched the video of the Stuft 60 challenge. I was like, “whoa, who is this mama with the guns!”. hahaha… so blessed to have met you! Whatever challenge you do next, if there’s a way I can help or be a part of it, I’m in! Stay blessed Stay fierce!

Meagan says:

I am so thankful I found your blog. You have an awesome perspective, and share the most inspiring/encouraging things! I hope you have a nice hooky day and enjoy the time off :) we ALL need it at some point.

Hooky days are the best! You know, there’s so much truth to the fact that when we try to do too many things at one time, we don’t end up doing any of them well. I have to remind myself that over and over again, because I tend to overcommit myself.

Therese says:

I get like that all the time. That’s why my weekends are so valuable. Plus sometimes you need a ‘mental health day’ enjoy it. You will feel one thousand times better.

my grandma let me play hooky from school once in high school when my parents were out of town. it was the coolest/best thing ever! haha

I’m glad you’re giving yourself the gift of playing hooky with the boys :) . Like you, I only did it on senior skip day (and asked my mom’s permission – haha!), but I’ve done it in adult life a few times!

I feel the same exact way. This post is exactly what I am going through today. Thankfully it is Friday.

Wow sounds like so many of us are “going thru” this week! We played hooky today as well..hubby even took off a half day to come with us to the movies. Just saw How to Train a Dragon 2 today. We enjoyed it. I love the realness of your blog! Thank youfor your transparency..its not one of those blogs where everyday life is perfect and everyone has their i’s dotted and t’s crossed. But rather, real, relatable, faith-based and encouraging! Thanks Kristin. As a mom of 3 and a runner I respect and admire all you do for us , your readers and of course your beautiful family! May the Lord bless you in your comings and goings this weekend and give you peace and joy that only He can provide!

elizabeth says:

Ha! Spending the day with two 4yr olds isn’t my idea of playing hooky. that is hard work and always wears me out since I’m not used to being around little kids lately.

natasha says:

Absolutely…play hooky! I will miss reading your posts but know you will come back refreshed with an epic recap or new post. Enjoy!

I too feel that way lately. Now that the weather is so nice I think I can squeeze in and commit to so much more and lately just keep dreaming about taking a real staycation since I haven’t taken a break in years.

Thanks for the inspiration I may just take a good gander at my calendar this weekend (: Cheers!

I am so glad you are taking time off!!! You do so much as a mom & working mom!!!! We all need it. I don’t have half to do as you yet I am cutting way back on social media & Instagram & more… I have to.. I spent a lot of years trying to make it in the blog & SM world & now I need to focus on the health of my household & not ending up on the street! ;)

YOU DESERVE IT!!!!! NO GUILT!!!! :)

I am just like that! I think I skipped one day of class in college my senior year and that’s pretty much it.

I love that F Scott Fitzgerald quote!

I didn’t even get senior ditch day because I had to drive my sister to school (k-12) and bring her home AND we couldn’t skip basketball practice for any reason. I think I have made up for it with a few mental health days here and there as an adult ;- ) We all need it at some point and I’m glad you took the time you needed. Sounds like a great day :)

I love a hooky day with my baby girls. Or a hooky day from work with my running gals the day before a big running weekend!

Alexis says:

We went to the new Planes movie today, too. Playing hooky is necessary for good mental health, always good to break from social media, extraneous people and just focus on what makes you happy. Hope you had a great day.

We did ~ kind of ~ play hooky today. We drove about 90 miles to tour a college with our senior. It was fun, overwhelming, exhausting, and eye-opening ~ college life has changed a lot in 20 years! Enjoy your pool days, movie days and all your days with those boys….just as every one has told me and probably told you …It goes by fast and they will be seniors before you know it.

(First time ever I felt 45 and “older” remembering my college days long gone)

Tess says:

I’m so glad you CHOSE to play hooky before you HAD to play hooky! There is a big difference ya know ;)

Sam says:

Thanks for being so open and honest! Great thoughts, and great view. That F. Scott Fitzgerald quote is so spot on. He’s such a beautiful writer.

Is it really playing hooky when you are making a conscious choice to SHOW UP and be present to something greater than the original plan? I think they’re two sides to the same radical coin! Either way, have a wonderful weekend with your guys.

I never played hooky from school – my mom wouldn’t allow it but I’m a fan of it now for sure!! I hope you enjoy your weekend with your boys!!
    I just took this past week off (no computer for 5 days) and it was truly amazing!!!