A Zoodle Topped Pizza and a Bolt to the Q

Playing hooky is really my favorite. I’m going to start doing it more often. It’s definitely not good for the wallet of the self-employed, but it IS good for quality time with the family and a full on toy organization sweep and purge of the house. Yeah, that was fun and was pretty much the majority of my day today.

Let’s just talk about fun stuff though, shall we?

Like zoodles. Even better, zoodles on pizza.

I made homemade pizzas Saturday night. If you haven’t found these frozen organic pizza crusts at Trader Joe’s by the way, you really need to.

I’m a big fan. I’m also a big fan of adding fresh basil and homegrown chilies to pizza. Check out these beauties (ghost chili and jalapeños).

I thought I’d get creative and add zoodles as a pizza topping also. Best idea ever.

One pizza for STUFT Daddy.

One pizza for yours truly.

I had all the goods on there: sweet chicken Italian sausage (also from TJ’s), zoodles, mushrooms, olives, tomatoes, onions, jalapeños, that whole ghost chili (it was a hot one), nutritional yeast, Italian seasoning, roasted garlic, crushed red pepper and fresh basil.

It will so be happening again at least once this week.

This morning the boys and I decided to run the Bolt to the Q Kids Fun Run. The main event was a 5K and all the proceeds went to Ryan Matthews’ non-profit foundation.

The Chargers and Ryan Mathews presented the event in conjunction with Kaiser with proceeds benefitting the Trish & Ryan Mathews’ Door of Hope Chest, a non-profit foundation which through the Salvation Army, provides resources for homeless mothers and their children.

[source]

We skipped the 5K, but showed up just in time to pay our entry fee and get in line for the kids run. Luckily it wasn’t too crowded and we found our way pretty easily.

2014-07-20 09.11.11

We bumped into our friend Alicia and her cute boys right away.

2014-07-20 09.10.30

Since we registered for the race about 10 minutes before start time they were all out of the kid shirts, so we got hooked up with two of the women’s 5K ones.

2014-07-20 09.12.16

The boys didn’t seem to mind.

We saw our friend Rudy. The boys look for him at every race. Sometimes they see him, sometimes they don’t. Ha. It was our lucky day.

2014-07-20 09.14.51

It really wasn’t crowded, but since the race was only a 1/2 mile long they did wave starts by age. I tried to convince the boys to run with the 5 year olds, but they weren’t having it.

“We’re 4!”

2014-07-20 09.15.28

We didn’t have to wait too long though.

2014-07-20 09.23.312014-07-20 09.22.552014-07-20 09.23.37

The winner of the 5k was there to send us off.

2014-07-20 09.24.26 HDR

Since this was the boys’ 6th official race, they were all business and knew the drill.

2014-07-20 09.25.402014-07-20 09.26.042014-07-20 09.26.14

Judah always likes to stay close by, while Joaquin likes to speed up ahead. The same thing happens every time.

2014-07-20 09.28.19

There was a bit of a hill just past the halfway point.

2014-07-20 09.29.26

It was then we needed just a short walking break.

2014-07-20 09.29.57

As soon as we saw that tunnel (and the Charger Girls) we picked it back up though.

2014-07-20 09.30.51

I think Joaquin might be able to teach me a thing or two about negative splits actually. He definitely doesn’t take after me. Ha.

2014-07-20 09.31.33

We finished at the 50 yard line in Qualcomm Stadium. That was pretty cool.

2014-07-20 09.31.46

These guys sure finished strong.

2014-07-20 09.31.51 HDR2014-07-20 09.31.52

I always get a little teary-eyed. You know, those proud mama moments.

Maybe they were trying to impress the ladies.

2014-07-20 09.32.08

Ha ha.

2014-07-20 09.34.412014-07-20 09.34.49

Thumbs up yo.

2014-07-20 09.36.22

We had to get at least one picture with a Charger player. Who can name this guy?

2014-07-20 09.37.59 HDR

It was the perfect way to spend the morning.

We went on the lookout for post race treats. We couldn’t find any, but the 5K had been done for while so a lot of people had headed out. I promised I’d make French toast for them once we got home.

Pre race there had been a lot of talk about the cheerleaders and the really cool Charger Girls.

When the photo opportunity presented itself though everyone decided to be shy.

Enjoy.

2014-07-20 09.51.462014-07-20 09.51.512014-07-20 09.51.542014-07-20 09.51.59

I should be thankful right?

Good times. We’ll be back to “bolt” again.

2014-07-20 10.09.44

Hope you had a great weekend!

After playing hooky, now I’m playing catch up a bit this week with some giveaways and such. Stay tuned!

Oh and in our cleaning today I found a Flat Kitty laying around. Anyone up for doing a little Flat Kitty tribute post for Kitty Friday? I think I’m finally ready. Dang we all miss that guy.

I’m serious, I’ll mail a couple packets of our Stehly Buffalo Jerky to the first person who can name our Charger friend and his position in the comments.

Comments

Marsha says:

Did you get the Vegetti? I call it zuchetti. My new pasta love. I love that your boys run with you now. Yes! The return of Flat Kitty for a memorial tribute! Sorry… I’m a Saints fan! ha! I dont know who that palyer is, but my sister probably would. I’m scared to eat jerky… :P

Melissa Sherman says:

Looks like so much fun! Is it Seyi Ajirotutu…wide receiver? Haha I asked my brother soo I may have cheated:) sorry! And he wasn’t sure if that was him or not! Looks like a wonderful weekend!:)

Susan says:

I am on the east coast-a Redskins fan, so not sure who the Charger guy is. Race looked great! I am totally up for a Flat Kitty Friday-I have a lot of Flat Kitty pictures from Europe. My Flat Kitty is very popular at the school I work at , and he even has made a friend-Flat Ducky!

I think all football players pretty much look a like so I have NO idea (and kind of bummed b/c hubby isn’t here right now to ask him) and I LOVED the jerky!!!!

Looks like a fun race but no treats??? I would have been a tad bummed.

Allyssa says:

Your twins looked like they had such a blast at the run! It’s funny that they got shy around the cheerleaders ( I bet they will be quite the ladies men when they get older)!

As for the football player I believe it’s Seyi Ajirotutu and he is a wide receiver for the Chargers.

I think a tribute post for Kitty on Friday would be lovely!!! I’m glad that things are starting to get back to normal a little bit more for you and that you are able to enjoy some quality time with your family! :) Also can’t wait until you post that recipe for the dip!!!

HAPPY MONDAY, love your blog :)

Bridget says:

darn! I wanted that jerky!!!

Denise says:

We did the finish at the 50 at the Patriots stadium, it was a blast. My boys LOVED it and I love when we can run as a family :) I need to try some of that jerky!!

K, can you eat a ghost pepper straight up? maybe give Adam on Man v. food a run for his money. Speaking of run(ning)…look at my boys running into the stadium! Such great form! Looks like you guys had a great time! Yes, save these pics for when they are teenagers and had a chance to (flirt) hangout with SD cheerleaders! lol… stay blessed K!

I can. These ones this year are particularly hot though. Ha. I’ve been wanting to call that guy for awhile. DO you have the hook ups? Ha. See you this weekend!

Living in New Orleans, Im a Saints fan, and so Im gonna guess Steve Williams event though I think it is Seyi A. I saw a few others commented it was Seyi and thought I would throw another name out there to better my winning chances- because we r crazy for jerky in this house! lol

Love it! So awesome that the boys are racing right along with you now :) Great job, mama!

joy says:

yes!! please do a flat kitty tribute post on Friday!! I have been obsessed with sphynx cats for a few years now and I always loved it when you posted pics of him. I am so sorry he’s gone. I lost one of my cats a few months back from cancer so I feel your pain.

natasha says:

Seyi Ajirotutu? Wide Receiver is my guess.

And yes, yes, yes a Flat Kitty tribute I still have her pic on my desktop image (:

I can’t believe you can eat a ghost chili like that. I think I would die.

Looks like you guys had a great day – I love that the boys run with you! :)

Oh – so much fun!!! Love the pictures of the boys running and posing (or not) with the cheerleaders!!

Kasey says:

Ladarius Green, tight-end?!!!

Or G-unit, the rapper!! Lol

OH MY – the boys!!!! Crack me up!!!!!

I hope you can do a tribute & be OK – HUGE HUGS!!!!!

Ugh…I’ve been a giant blog-slacker lately!!! Finally catching up!! Yay…so great running into you at the Bolt to the Q! I didn’t realize you guys had just signed up that morning! When do the boys turn 5? They did great!! I’m hoping the more we do stuff like that, the more they’ll be excited to do it. Definitely not something I ever experienced growing up :)