Keeping it Real Friends

The funny thing about the blog world is that you can pick and choose what to write about and what to post. Obviously you want to try to show your best self, but I just can’t be one of those people that doesn’t share my struggles and/or fly my freak flag. Sometimes I wish I could and that I this could just be my forever happy place, but that’s just not real life.

So I put it all out there. Sure, there’s haters out there who really like to kick me when I’m down and write mean things, but for what it’s worth, I hope that in being real and honest I’m at least helping a few others along the way. We all have our issues. I mean heck, if you’re not struggling with one thing or another in life, well, you’ve got it made.

Speaking of struggles, I could sure use some help with how to handle a little not wanting to sleep in his own room or bed issue we’ve got going on over here. Getting woken up 5 times a night and middle of the night tantrums are just not going to fly. I hope it’s a stage and I can’t figure out if it might in some way have to do with Kitty being gone or if it’s the hotter weather or what.

Anyhoo….

I haven’t talked running or workouts for awhile because I’ve just kind of been hanging on. I can’t remember the last time I did any speed work. My foot is feeling okay, not 100%, but not bad so I’m just trying to play it safe for the time being.

So let’s see….

Yesterday’s run was a little late getting started, but I had some Orange is the New Black watching to do.

2014-07-21 07.46.422014-07-21 08.54.252014-07-21 08.54.34

I taught a spin class in the middle of the day yesterday. The class act that I am forgot socks. Luckily I found some old ones buried at the bottom of my gym bag. Lovely.

2014-07-21 12.56.33

It was a wet one. Actually, spin classes always are.

2014-07-21 12.55.52

I did get some new tunes though that I’ve been using so I’ll share them with you (and what I do with them) tomorrow.

2014-07-21 12.56.09

Today’s run was a rough one. This whole sleep thing is really catching up with me. I’ve been wearing my new iFit Active band and it tracks your sleep. Last night looked a little like this.

2014-07-22 07.38.15

Not good. Not all my fault either. There were some things going on outside and my little man was up needing to use the bathroom a couple times.

(I’m not sure how it tracks my sleep. Does anyone know how these gadgets do that?)

I pushed through today’s run though. I decided to set a goal for a change.

2014-07-22 07.48.19

I finished off my Orange is the New Black DVD around mile 4.5 so threw in an oldie, but a goody. SATC Season 2 to the rescue.

2014-07-22 08.27.45

It’s always nice to beat a goal, right?

2014-07-22 08.54.30

I started out at 8:00 minute mile pace for 3 miles, then 7:30 pace for 3, then 7:19 for 1 and then 7:00 for the last mile. (These are all approximate because I can’t remember details.)

I had thought about putting it off until later today, but I’m so glad I didn’t. It’s darn hot outside and I can already tell it’s going to be one of those days that I just can’t get enough coffee. Ha.

2014-07-22 08.55.23

I have a class to teach in a bit. I love that teaching classes forces me to do cross training. I really think cross training is key.

While we’re talking running I found these two articles last week that I thought I’d pass along.

Seven Ways to Improve Speed Without Increasing Mileage and Three Key Workouts to Do Every Week from Run Competitor.

Here are some other life happening that have been going down.

The boots are back for the hot weather and the gym. They’re just taking turns with them I guess.

2014-07-21 13.03.44 HDR

I was desperate yesterday on the way to teach my evening classes and found this Larabar in my bag.

2014-07-21 16.00.04

It was a little smashed, but it saved me.

I randomly roasted some Frieda’s polenta last night along with roasted zucchini. I just topped everything with coconut oil, Italian seasoning, garlic salt, garlic and parmesan.

Then I roasted it at 450 for about 15-20 minutes. (I didn’t set the timer, but it was just enough time to jump in the shower and give the boys a quick bath.)

2014-07-21 20.02.42

They were a hit with the men for dinner. Dipped in ranch or marinara. Mmmm hmmmm…

We’ve been on this French toast kick lately.

I usually make it this way when I make it for the boys, but we just went the regular route the past few days. If you’re on Facebook, you saw that at least I tried to be cool by going Mickey Mouse style.

I can’t take credit though. This little gem from Walmart helped me out.

My French toast has looked a little like this.

I topped it with Betty Lou’s Just Great Stuff powdered peanut butter mixed with unsweetened almond milk and homemade chia berry jam.

Oh man it’s so darn good.

Oh and I had a question about what I topped my new peanutty pumpkin dip with after I posted this picture with the recipe.

That there is a little protein dark chocolate sauce, chocolate NuttZo, peanut free NuttZo and that coconut peanut butter.

That’s a Tuesday morning wrap.

I have a giveaway coming up next, so had to get all the STUFT life stuff out of the way.

Have a wonderful Tuesday!

Any tips on the whole sleep situation with the boys? There’s got to be a good book on it out there or something, right?

What’s the last random thing you’ve found in your gym bag?

Do you know how those bands track sleep? I’m so curious.

Comments

From what I recall with my son who didn’t stay in his room the entire night until he was over 4 1/2, it was all about not giving in. Show them they must stay in their room or at the very least, not to expect you will weaken and allow them into your bed. One night I placed my son’s sleeping bag on the floor of my room and told him that if he is looking to come into my room from his, he can sleep on the floor. Not my bed. He came in one night and never again. That is exactly what got him staying in his room, not waking me up, for the last several years.

Veronica says:

All three of my kids did that. It can be extremely exhausting. We did the sleeping bag thing on the floor and eventually it just stops. I wanna say they did it through 1st grade or something crazy like that. Hopefully you’ll find a trick to end it sooner! 🙂

girl.. i’m still trying to figure out the sleep thing.. lol! I’m so sorry people have been kicking you when you are down. Sending you lots of love friend! xoxo I love that you are REAL.

Linda says:

It is a crappy stage. My daughter just turned 5 and has slept great and then gone through the wake up many times a night. Sometimes it is because of a scary show or movie. Planes may have a part in it. She hasn’t seen it but from what you said that would do it for her.
    It will get better. I find tough love and talking it through during the day help but stink for us parents .
    Hang in there. Ask him lots of questions about why and emphasize it is his job to get a night sleep. I ask my daughter how she’d feel if I screamed and woke her up every time it woke up. She got that.

elizabeth says:

Just ordered a spriralizer through your amazon page, can’t wait to make Tutu’s green bean recipe with spiralized zucchini, have you made it lately?

If it makes you feel any better, I have a 3 month old.

I miss sleep.

Sheena says:

Oh man, I would love to see what my sleep actually looks like since I’m constantly exhausted and wake up so many times throughout the night!

Are you still coming up this weekend for the race?:)

Random thing in my gym bag…hairclips. Oh! So that’s where they all went?!

The sleep thing? No advice here…..I thing its just a phase like any thing else that kids go through. Our daughter #2 could sense a rainstorm coming 30 minutes away when she was about 8. She would tap me on the shoulder saying “It’s going to rain” like I needed a weather report at midnite! I would tell her to go back to sleep and within (what felt like seconds but probable 5 minutes) she was back tapping me and saying “It’s lightening now”..OK back to bed….then, “It’s thundering” OK back to bed…..and finally “It’s raining!!!!” Great, now go back to bed! 😉

It was a rain ritual for an entire summer!!! Talk about exhausting…you would think I would have learned but back and forth and back and forth she would go. Unless, she fell asleep with us b/c the rain was sooo loud she couldn’t take it.

Finally, she just grew out of it I think. THANK GOODNESS!!!! And of course, now we have already commented that if she wanted to sleep with us she could and she immediately replies, NO WAY! My bed is much better! HA! Kids!

Denise says:

If you figure out how to consistently get a good nights sleep with two kids….. PLEASE share!! My boys are either wandering into our bed or I calling for me in the middle of the night and I end up falling asleep in some crazy position in their bed with them 🙁 It really doesn’t make getting up early for a run easy!! Good luck !!

Oh man, that is one thing I have yet to do. Fall asleep in their room. Thank goodness. I’ll let you know if a magic answer comes to me. Ha.

Haters gonna hate, and people will say mean things. I know it’s so easy to let it get you down, but stay strong, and keep doing your thing. You have definitely inspired me (as well as many others).
    Ugh. That sounds terrible. It’s a huge reason I don’t know if I want kids. I like sleep. And I would love to know how that thing tracks your sleep….fascinating.
    Right now my gym bag is pretty empty as I had to recently clean it out. Usually I just find tons of safety pins. Not as exciting as a larabar.

Cindy says:

I have twins as well – they just turned ten. I have to say the only thing that worked for us is no giving in. We leave a small light on in the bathroom (not a nightlight, but a small light with a 20 watt bulb on the bathroom counter) – once they were old enough to go to the bathroom on their own, the ritual was for them to get up and go potty on their own and go back to bed. If they came into our room, they were put back in bed and we left immediately. If we caved and gave in, the cycle started all over again 🙁 If I recall it took about a week and no more issues. We did not do the sleeping bag thing – it’s hard enough to find adult time with kids, having one of the floor guarantees it’s even harder.

They’re ten??? Please tell me it gets easier. We’re trying to get them to go potty on their own. I need to get a nightlight. 🙂

• Cindy says:

It gets easier I promise!! Now the issues are fighting :). Seriously, skip the nightlight, go to target, and get one of those little lamps that you can put on your bathroom counter with a 20 watt bulb. It gives off just enough light so that it eliminates the need to switch the big light on and off. For whatever reason when the kids thought that the light was on (by having that little lamp) they stopped coming and getting us to go to the bathroom. For about $15, worth a try! The other thing we did was “camping” with mom and dad as a treat. Every once in a while we would let them put their sleeping bags on the floor in our bedroom as a special night or a treat, maybe kind of like you do your campouts in the back yard? They still ask to do now – every two or three weeks they camp out with us. Hang in there!! I say that as we start on a major remodel on our house – we’ve just collapsed our living space into two bedrooms downstairs, and in another month have to move the whole family into a travel trailer in the backyard for six months or so. Marathon season in the south is dead winter, so I am sure I will be looking forward to those long runs as an escape!

Sorry you haven’t been able to get sleep. Max was the worst with sleeping throughout the night, but for us, it was his tonsils that were the problem. I actually had a pallet by our bed for him to just come in and sleep on until he was in 3rd grade. Seriously, I needed sleep and he just couldn’t sleep through the night. In 2nd grade, we found out his tonsils and adenoids were rotten and needed to be removed. That was mid to late 2nd grade. So, once he was all healed and sleeping better, he finally stopped. I know this is no help to you, but the pallet saved my butt for getting some sleep. Hopefully you guys get things settled soon. xoxo

Kristen says:

I tend to think that these sleep things are just phases. I even take it a step further and figure that whenever someone says they came up with a solution (myself included) what really happened is that the phase ended on it’s own but we’re giving credit to whatever we tried last. This too shall pass.

I don’t have kids at home, but I get anywhere from 7 to 11 of them (2 and 3 year olds) down for nap every day at work. The key for them seems to be having a routine. We have the same music on every day, and they know if they don’t sleep, or wake up early, they are expected to stay on their mats and are allowed to read books quietly. I think the key is consistency, and maybe a little tough love. But, again, I don’t deal with the nighttime, so I’m sure it’s different.

I don’t have a gym bag, but I was pretty excited to find a granola bar in the bottom of my purse after my long run the other day. It was a little squashed as well.

I haven’t figured out how those things track sleep but I know that since I’ve started tracking mine (January), I’ve only gotten over 5 hours about 4 times – oops!!! I can’t even blame it on the younger members of the family – all me!!!
    I love that you keep things real over here – sad that people have to be mean about it – your blog, your place to share!!!

Anastasia says:

Sorry to hear that your son is having trouble. It was about this age when my son had a similar issue. He was terrified of someone (never knew what) and wanted to sleep either in our room or in his closet. So we weighed the options and let him sleep in his closet with the door open. It made him feel better. He slept there each night for about 2 months. Then one night he saw a spider on the floor and decided that bed would be safer. I remember how exhausting it was and that we all had disrupted sleep for a few days until we figured out a solution. Have you tried a night light or his own flashlight? I also resorted to sprinkling “monster repellant” with a water bottle. If you can hit upon the cause, you should be able to come up with a temporary solution that works for everyone. Best of luck!

Lindsay says:

Do you think you could take a week off from working out? I’m thinking your adrenals might be burnt out friend and you need some sleep. I wish I could come babysitt. But you know i am always here. Try to rest. And I know adding extra b vitamins from nutritional yeast helps babies
    Sleep through the night when nursing moms eat it. Maybe add it to the kids dinners??

Meagan says:

For the boys, I’d look into seeing an ND who can do some homeopathy and other therapies that would be VERY helpful for your little men!! And they’d enjoy it!

Karen says:

I think the sleep thing is a phase, as many things are with kids. My kids are all grown, and in hindsight, the best sleep came in the elementary school years and middle school years. (Sleep for both parents and kids). Once they hit high school and start going out at night, you don’t sleep well for entirely different reasons. I really enjoy your blogs and am inspired to move more in my life and eat better. Haters are gonna hate and don’t let it get to you. Let it go off your back like water off a duck’s back.

Michelle Kim says:

It’s unfortunate, but as they say… “hatin’ is the product of greatness”. I think you are great, and there are bound to be people who hate on you for that. Sorry to hear that there are people who would be that way, but just know that the majority of us think you are absolutely delightful. I am always motivated by your approaches to life and fitness 🙂

Bonnie says:

I love that you keep it real. You’re so relatable and yet inspirational at the same time! Thanks for sharing your life with us. 🙂 Sorry to hear about the sleep situation – sounds hard! Sleep is so key to living well… Sometimes I don’t think we realize how good/easy we have it (no animals, no kids, don’t have to get up early for work…) – I’m going to appreciate my rest tonight and pray for yours! Stellar run this morning, and always with the creative snacks – love them! Haven’t popped on in a while…good to check out your life and catch up. Lots of love from Canada!

i’ve always been curious as to how those bands track sleep too!

Sara says:

I’m still trying to get my 14-month-old to sleep in his crib instead of the pack and play in our room. Mommy fail. 🙁 He screams and screams and screams in his crib. Then I feel like I’m abandoning him. Ahh! And he’s getting molars on the top and bottom so he wakes up frequently. Good luck on the sleep 🙁

I love your blog. I sometimes forget to check in but lately I’ve been trying to really get into running (post baby) and keep coming back .That and I love some of the funky foods you post and how clean it is! 🙂 I went to our local running store to be fitted this weekend and I tried on some Mizunos and I thought of you! I thought HEY this is what Stuft Mama wears!! (I told that to my husband too, ha ha!) They didn’t really work for me, went with some Sauconys (apparently I roll my foot badly or turn it in or something. I also apparently turn my thighs and knees inward when I run…hmm) anyway, I can’t wait to test them out again today. Though I wish I had a fancy treadmill like yours!! 🙂

Sara says:

Oh and my husband bought me a Fitbit Flex. The sleep thing is freaky! I don’t know how they do it either.

Holly says:

There is no perfect solution for helping kids learn how to sleep on their own. But, I agree with those that talked about some tough love. There are also some fun nightlights out there (Amazon, Target)…some that shine something up on the ceiling (my kids have an underwater scene). For a while, my daughter listened to soothing music all night (Twila Paris lullabies was a sweet one). We’ve left a light on very dimly in an adjacent room (you can install a dimmer on any light switch!), or a “creepy” door closed. At the end of the day, most kids have to learn how to fall back to sleep on their own…it might mean a few really rough nights of crying or tantrums, but then suddenly, you will have a boy who sleeps all night long. Good luck…that is NOT a fun stage!

Lynn Pronger says:

I enjoy reading your blog every day and your antics with your family. I think you are an amazing young woman and please remember “the hater’s hate themselves”. Their lives are sad and pathetic. Your life is fun and fulfilling with the everyday issues of raising young kids. I love how you always make time for your boys and your discipline in your training for your runs. Keep up the good vibrations that you send out to those of us who appreciate it and ignore the rest. Much Love.

I have a FitBit and I have no idea how it keeps track of my sleep. Weird! And I am on vacay right now and my daughter has been sleeping so hard she rolls under the bed every night. So I am up all night fishing her out. We are at a lake cabin and the kids are on the floor. So even when she does sleep well, I don’t.
    And finally, I can’t imagine you getting haters. You are the best!

Jessica says:

Kristin – I just LOVE your blog and how honest and real you are!! We all have sleep issues at some point with our kiddos. I feel for you, we too have been there. Do you use music? I don’t know if it’s right or wrong, but we use it and it’s worked well. It will pass, hopefully sooner than later. Good luck!! I want a FitBit SO bad 🙂 Very weird, but kind of cool that it’s tracks your sleep too.

Michelle C says:

I totally feel your pain but in a different way. My 2 year old co-sleeps with us and he is in a phase where he thinks bedtime is optional. We start our bedtime routine of bath, book, and bed around 8:30 pm yet some nights it’s 11:30 before he finally passes out. I get him up at 7 am every morning and he takes a 2 hour nap at daycare, yet he will NOT go to bed any earlier. I get up most mornings and run at 5 and my hubby gets up at 6 as I come back in and he gets ready for work so I guess I am going to have to start getting him up at 6 when I come home from runs. Love these phases:)

1. […] dumped so much life stuff on you in my last post yesterday that I feel like it’s only fair to get right to the point this morning. So here we […]

2. […] refuse to bother you about the sleep situation, but let’s just say last night was not good and our little man called for reinforcements and sent […]