It’s a Satchel, Core Work and a Vega Cake Batter Protein Smoothie

I got a late start to the morning. An extra hour of shut eye was more important than getting on the treadmill at 5:00 am.

I eventually made it on for a quick little run to start the day though. Since I wasn’t running outside I thought I’d pretend that I was. I went for a little Heartbreak Hill action with the iFit.

2014-08-26 07.44.45

It was the best of both worlds. Rerunning the last 6 miles of the Boston Marathon course while watching Parenthood.

2014-08-26 08.27.16

Oh that Citgo sign…….. I felt like I Was looking at that sign forever during the actual race this past year. It was a fun little change up to my run this morning.

2014-08-26 08.36.46

Maybe tomorrow I’ll find a Hawaii course to run to get ready for this weekend. Eeeekkkk…..

These guys are getting more high maintenance by the day. I think it must be an end of the summer thing. Everyone’s getting ready for school to start again. But, we are soaking up as much time together as possible.

2014-08-25 10.54.13

I’m not sure what your daily outfit essentials are these days, but lately ours have been these.

2014-08-25 11.54.39-2

The necessities- cowboys boots, Hawk Bear and a “satchel”. Yes, Daddy made sure to let him know that it should be called a satchel. Good stuff.

HumanX is the official sponsor for the Kauai Marathon this upcoming weekend. I use their products when I train clients and in my boot camp classes.

A really good area for runners to focus on is core. Sometimes not enough time is spent doing core work.

Core work is important for runners because it helps with proper form and biomechanics and helps with injury prevention. Having a strong core can improve overall strength, power, speed, quickness, agility, coordination and balance.

You know, to be honest, I never really sit and do core work at home. I do make sure to do at least a couple minutes of core specific work at the end of every class that I teach (with the exception of my spin classes) and try to incorporate the core as much as possible throughout class.

Even if you only have a few minutes to get a little core work in, sometimes that’s all you need.

A plank is a great core exercise that doesn’t require any equipment and you can pretty much do anywhere. I also really like it because there are so many variations you can do. I’m a fan of adding anything to make it a little unstable. It makes you work a little harder and is a great way to change it up.

Here are some ideas to change it up:

Put your hands or forearms on a bench.

Lift one arm in front and hold. Repeat on the other side.

Lift up one leg and hold. Repeat on the other side.

2014-08-18 19.26.37-1_thumb

There really are so many options. I did a post on planks with a video here if you want some more ideas.

Two things I always have with me at boot camp are the speed rope and the AbX.

2014-08-23 09.14.03

This past Saturday we did these tuck extensions on the AbX and they were just awesome. They can be done on the floor with a mat or towel under your bum, but the AbX just makes them that much better.

2014-08-23 09.10.46 HDR_thumb2014-08-23 09.10.57 HDR_thumb

When doing core work, you want to keep a neutral spine and I always tell people to think about pulling their belly button in towards the lower back. Your head should always be neutral also.

Here’s a super short video so you can see the move in action.

Before I go I must show you this.

2014-08-23 12.39.49

This is a Vega Sport cake batter protein shake. I made this over the weekend and it was darn fabulous.

I modified an old recipe a bit.

2014-08-23 12.41.22_thumb

Yes, yes it is.

Oh and today is the last day to enter the Halo GIVEAWAY.

Enter here.

2014-08-23 09.38.46 HDR_thumb

Have a great day!

What’s your favorite core exercise?

What’s your favorite smoothie?

Comments

Sam says:

Never leave home without cowboy boots and a satchel! That photo of your guys is just too adorable.

I’ve been trying to add in some more core work lately. I’m trying to do five minutes five days a week. I love planks! That “up and over” variation in your video is brutal, I guess that means it must be effective :) . I’m also a fan of locust pose (supermans) to hit the posture muscles in the lower back.

HaHa – love the boys outfits and accessories!!! One summer Hunter (I think he was 3 or 4 at the time) wore gloves all the time!! It would have been fine except he still needed help getting his fingers in the right spots – about 100x a day!!! All I can say is good thing I had wine at the end of the day!!

Lauren says:

Question for you. I have twin boys who just turned 1. At this stage, the only time I can run is early in the morning while they’re still asleep. They can’t entertain themselves for very long, and they’re also really attached to me – so it wouldn’t work for me to watch them if I was on a tmill. I’m curious, on a day like today when you shut off the early morning alarm, is your husband or someone else around keeping an eye on them, or are they OK on their own for an hour?

Great question! When they were that young if I chose to sleep in, my only option was stroller running with them later. Now that they’re 4 1/2 I can let them watch a show while I’m on there. I’m only comfortable if it’s an hour or less though. If the hubs is home and is entertaining them it’s a different story.

• Lauren says:

Thanks! We are still in the phase where I drag the exersaucers into the bathroom so I can shower, so it’s nice to know things get easier!

Sadly here in Canada running with them in a stroller is only feasible June-September, so I haven’t gotten one. We do have on in LA when we visit my family, though, and it certainly makes the logistics easier when you can bring them with you!

Erika says:

I just love old school bicycle, but with straight legs. Does that even make sense? I’ve been making smoothies lately for after my runs with frozen berries, milk, protein powder, and today I threw in a cocoa via sample I’ve had FOREVER! Thought I’d give it a try since you rave about it ;) . Guess what…I loved it! I need to buy a jar. Hope amazon carries it!
    Picture are too cute! Love it!

I pretty much don’t like any core specific exercises. That probably means I need to work on my core some more. Planks are my usual go-to when I’m feeling like I should do some core work.

My smoothies are usually dependent on what I have in the kitchen. There’s usually greek yogurt, berries and a banana involved.

Stability ball plank – rollouts…
    Stability ball plank – reverse leg lifts
    Hanging toe touches

go do it now! =)

Courtney R says:

I have been doing Pilates with a megaformer machine for a few months now and it is the most UNBELIEVABLE core/total body workout I have ever done in my life. I wanted to share it with you because I know you’d absolutely love it!!

Deb E says:

Mountain climbers seem to get my core and I think they’re fun.

Yay! My Yasso prize pack is coming tomorrow via UPS and is a big 5 lb box! Looking forward to the stylish T-shirt and sunglasses, as well as great Yasso bars. Thanks again Kristin!

1. [...] must say, our outfit choices are getting better by the day. Today the boots and the satchel were back, but the snorkel came out [...]