Warning: Declaration of StatigramWidget::widget($args) should be compatible with WP_Widget::widget($args, $instance) in /var/www/app/wp-content/plugins/instagram-image-gallery/plugin.php on line 0
AbX it, the Biggest TJ’s Bill and a Food Prep Snack Combo

AbX it, the Biggest TJ’s Bill and a Food Prep Snack Combo

I was back teaching boot camp yesterday morning. It was a little rough after the racecation, a long day of travel and a craptastic night of sleep.

We powered through the STUFT 10-1 Triple Threat Workout but forgot to time it again. Oops. We also ended class with this combination chest and core move on the Abx by HumanX that I thought I’d share.

2014-09-06 09.15.31

Take the resistance band around your back under your arms and hold the handles in front. Wrap it around until there is some tension on the band. Lay back on the AbX keeping your core engaged and pulling your belly button in towards your lower back. Your head stays in a neutral position while you extend your arms and take them from the side to the front to complete a chest fly.

2014-09-06 09.16.03

It’s a good one. We like to multi-task.

Since we didn’t have any food after being gone a week I had to make a quick stop at Starbucks on the way home.

2014-09-06 09.49.20

I tried the egg white spinach feta wrap for the first time and it was delicious.

2014-09-06 09.58.25

It was smaller than I thought it would be and I could have easily eaten another one, but it did the job to hold me over until I did some grocery shopping.

I actually have a week’s worth of dinner menus planned for once. I’m kind of proud. I don’t have anything new and exciting on the list, but do have a couple old favorites:

Salsa Chicken

Mom’s Tortellini Soup

Dang I really need to update some dinner recipes.

Anyhoo….

I tried to get everything at Trader Joe’s rather than making a few stops at different stores. A couple of new finds and highlights from my trip there were these:

organic mixed baby kale,

2014-09-06 11.32.42

Brussels sprouts stalks

2014-09-06 11.37.35

and delicata squash.

2014-09-06 11.39.35

Oh heck yes.

*Shopper tip- when they sell produce at a fixed price per squash (or apple, onioin, banana, etc.) like they do at Trader Joe’s, always find the biggest one so you get more for your money. You’re welcome.

Um, so yeah, I spend roughly $230 at Trader Joe’s. We will not be running out of food anytime soon. I’m kind of embarrassed, but also impressed that I fit everything in those small carts they have there. Good thing they don’t have Costco size carts. I’d be in trouble. Ha.

The first dinner I made for all of us was homemade pizzas. I made some cheesy rolls for the boys, but added pizza sauce so they were pizza rolls instead. The boys were all about helping and rolling up their own.

I know, I was impressed with their skill too.

My veggie pizza did pretty well

and this wine helped with the whole trying to adjust from being home from vacation thing.

2014-09-06 18.40.38-1

Today was the last official day of rest so I made use of my extra time with some food prepping for the week.

It was over 90 degrees out so naturally I decided I should bake bread and try a new version of No Grain Seedy STUFT Bread.

My not so smart decision paid off though as this new version was a success. Recipe coming soon, but only after I get a race recap up. That’s the deal I made with myself.

Oh and I came up with the perfect snack combination.

I’m sure it’s no secret, but SunButter and dates are marvelous together. I made quite a few of these little gems by cutting the dates and filling them with SunButter.

I have them wrapped in twos in the freezer for easy snack grabs. I’m sure it would be 100 times better with chocolate chips stuffed in there too, but we don’t have any at the moment.

The sky was beautiful earlier tonight.

2014-09-07 18.50.21

Not quite the Kauai sunset, but if this is the view I see from my driveway when I’m standing there with my men all I can think about is how grateful I am.

2014-09-07 18.55.25

Things are going to be a bit different here. Intentionally slower as we’ve brought the island time back home with us and I’m going to work darn hard to keep it here.

We’ve got a long journey ahead with quite a few things, but I saw this awesome reminder from CocoaVia just at the right time today.

2014-09-07 07.47.04

It’s all about taking one step (even if it’s a super small one) and one day at a time.

Have a great start to your week! I’m hoping to get on the treadmill to start the day and I’m pretty sure my legs are going to be in shock. We shall see.

What’s the most you’ve ever spent at Trader Joe’s? Please oh please let there be at least one person who has spent over $200 so I don’t feel that bad.

Did you do any food prepping? If so, what? Dinners or snack or both? I’m working on both, but I’m a work in progress obviously.

Comments

I don’t have a TJ’s near me, so I have (on a couple occasions) spent $200+ to stock up on things until my next trip. My friend actually told me they now have cookie butter ice cream. Good thing that wouldn’t last the 1.5 hour trip home….
    I do try to plan out what I want to make for dinners/lunches, as I pack my lunch every weekday now that school is back in session. I would love to get over my crockpot fear (that the house will burn down) this year so dinners are made by the time I got home, but we’ll see. Haha.

stacey says:

I make your original STUFT seedy bread on an almost weekly basis! I slice it up and freeze it for work breakfasts – I toast the heck out of it with some protein powder or peanut flour mixture to make a “schmear”. YUM! Can’t wait for this new version!

I go thru cycles of food prepping. Some weeks I’m really good with it, others not so much.

I don’t live near a TJ’s or Whole Foods (closest one is over 3 hours away), so I have spent over $200 on almost every trip we make there since I know it won’t happen again for awhile! Probably for the best I don’t live closer or it would likely happen more often!

Welcome back my friend! Can’t wait to read that recap. Try those dates and that bread. And of course I have spent over $200 at TJs. I spend $170 yesterday. Would have spent more but husband came with and put a damper on all my shopping fun!

Erika says:

Oh so easy to do. I think my max has been $185. Probably after a vacation as well when you come home to NOTHING! Ha! I meal plan for dinner. sometimes when I’m really on top of things I get all crazy and make tons of pizza dough, muffins, waffles, and pie dough. It all goes in the freezer for easy meals. If it weren’t so darn hot in SD right now I’d be baking up a storm. All this heat=lame.

Linda says:

Ha! We spent $230 at TJ yesterday and another $100 at WF!! And it’s just me & my husband. That said, a good $90 of TJ was wine. 🙂 At WF we got frozen calamari, scallops for a delicious Cioppino that we make in advance and then freeze portions. I do more of tht in the fall/winter when we are craving soups, etc. Last night my husband did a sauté of onions, peppers, zucchini, garlic and chicken mixed with rice. He’s hot 4 grab & go lunches that way! Can’t wait to see your race recap!!

Melissa Jo says:

We don’t have a TJ near us, so usually when I visit my Grand parents in Florida and stock up on the Cacao Nibs that are at the check out 🙂

Amber says:

Sunbutter & dates sounds SO GOOD. I’ve never heard of it, but now it’s on my to-do list to make & eat them 🙂
    I used to meal prep everrryyything, but now it’s just down to cutting & washing veggies for snacks. It’s still a huge help though!

Sam says:

That sky is BEAUTIFUL! I can remember that my mom used to make me dates and peanut butter for an after-school snack when I was growing up. She called them “snick-snacks,” (I have NO idea why). I bet the sunbutter/date combo would be even more delicious…I’m gonna make myself a few this evening: “snuck-snacks,” or “sunny-snucks,” maybe?

I try to make up a big pot of grains for my lunches and hard boil a dozen eggs for snacks during the week on weekends. I’ve cut myself off from going to TJ’s because I always end up spending at least $100 on dried fruit and nuts alone EVERY time I go in that wonderful, terrible place.

Welcome home!
    Pretty sure that I will give that move a try in the next day or two. I’m trying to rest my legs right now so that will be a perfect one!!!

I’m hungry now!!! 🙂 So hard to come back from Hawaii – I think you deserved that wine!!!

Looking forward to that bread recipe for sure!!! 🙂

I am broke so I can’t spend that much PLUS I don’t have growing boys like you! 😉

Your trip sounded perfect!!!!!

Tricia says:

My most expensive bill at TJ’s was probably around $50, which isn’t too bad. I wish I had time to meal prep last weekend but I was busy with runs and totally forgot! 🙁

Mandy says:

I’m so jealous that you got to go to Hawaii. I’m sure it was beautiful. I don’t do a lot of food prepping/planning, which is why I end up with massive amounts of nuts, seeds, dried fruits and crackers. I like “snack meals” like GoPicnic ones (need to start making my own, though…kinda like the DIY Lunchables, I need to make a DIY GoPicnic meal, LOL) <–have you tried those? They're DELICIOUS.

Anyway…I did have a question. I haven't been reading your blog for a super-long time, but I have read for a few months – why do you cook different foods for yourself than for your family? I'm really not trying to be rude – I'm just curious. It was just me & my mom when I was younger, so we basically ate whenever and whatever we wanted (no "traditional" or "family" meals), but all my friends with siblings always told me that the whole family always ate the same thing. *shrug*

I definitely relate to the whole back-to-exercising thing. I went on a cruise for 2 weeks and even though I walked EVERYWHERE on the trip, I didn't run. I tried running for the first time 2 days after I got back and MAN it was tough – used a very different set of muscles! Oh, well. I'm hoping to gradually build back up over the next few weeks to get back to where I was before. 🙂 Can't wait for your race recap!

Hi Mandy! I don’t always cook different meals for everyone. I only do sometimes when I leave out cheese and stuff for myself since I have issues with dairy. The men would not be happy if I made them my nondairy versions. Ha. Otherwise I try to make the same thing for all of us to eat together! 🙂 Hope things are going well getting back into workouts after your trip!

elizabeth says:

I’m going to CA this week, looking forward to picking up some treats at TJ’s.
    You mentioned you wear the wave sayonara for treadmill and racing only, why do you not like them for training runs outside?