Warning: Declaration of StatigramWidget::widget($args) should be compatible with WP_Widget::widget($args, $instance) in /var/www/app/wp-content/plugins/instagram-image-gallery/plugin.php on line 0
Oh the Wind… TCS New York City Marathon in the Books

Oh the Wind… TCS New York City Marathon in the Books

Hi!!!!!!!!

Obviously a full recap will be on the way because there is just way too much to tell you about the TCS New York Marathon.

But, we made it (yeah, you and me because you take this journey with me you know).

I had a few doubts when we started getting high wind advisory emails in the middle of the night and contemplated deferring my race until next year, but I decided it was time to face fears. Just like CocoaVia (the official sponsor for this trip) says:

BzRpOtTCAAAogl7

I fear a lot of things. Running in the wind is one of them. I don’t do wind, I do most of my mileage on a treadmill for goodness sakes so my “wind” is the fan. I knew I was in for it today.

I was by myself a lot this morning at the starting village since my friends were assigned to different areas and everything. It was a good character building experience in so many ways.

It was cold. It was especially cold while we were waiting around for over two hours to actually start the race. Oh man. I did my best to keep it classy though.

2014-11-02 08.39.43-1

Um, and yeah, you know that when you’re actually inside the port-a potty and can still feel the wind that the wind chill is truly an issue.

I actually ended up running the entire race without music or looking at my GPS. It wasn’t planned, but I didn’t want my phone to die and knew I wanted it at the finish for pictures and in case of emergencies or anything. I did run with my new earphone in one ear, but it was all for show. I also lost the other one that was tucked in my shirt in the wind. Lovely.

I did manage a couple pictures right at the start and even a video for you though.

2014-11-02 09.48.27

This was taken just minutes before I was fearing for my life because of the wind. Oh my goodness, it was insane and I seriously thought it might throw me over the bridge. Definitely not my favorite.

Besides not being able to feel my fingers or my toes and the whole wind thing, I really felt great the first 20 miles of the race. I just couldn’t stop smiling and wanted to pinch myself, but my fingers were numb and not cooperating. Ha.

I stopped three times- once to turn my phone off and put it away, once to take my pants off (A nice policeman had to help me by the way) and once to take off my jacket.

The last 6 miles were a tough struggle mentally and physically. I was prepared for that since this has been just one heck of a tough couple of months and my training has been all over the place.

But, I truly felt I gave it what I had left in me.

2014-11-02 13.20.37

This was marathon number 11 for this year and it was epic.

I RAN THE NEW YORK MARATHON!

2014-11-02 13.39.41-2

Holy dream come true.

My body and my head are ready for a break and this marathon was the best way ever to turn over a new leaf and take some time to really figure out some life stuff.

After the race I got a taste of one of the most frightening (and expensive) petty cab rides ever.

2014-11-02 13.57.31 HDR

I was so cold though it was worth every penny to get back to the hotel as soon as possible.

2014-11-02 14.50.50

So much more to come friends, but I have a limited amount of time in New York to see and do everything possible, so that’s what I’m off to do at the moment.

My finish time today was 3:31:44. I was definitely hoping for a little better, but given the conditions and everything else going on I’m okay with it.

2014-11-02 15.15.16

It gives me some extra motivation for true rest and some bigger goals for next year.

One deep thought before I go.

Face your fears and do what scares you and challenges you.

I hate the wind and the cold and avoid both like the plague. I had no choice but to face them today and heck no it wasn’t fun, but it’s over and in hindsight it wasn’t THAT bad. Everyone out there tackled it head on.

Just do hard things friends. You CAN do them. Go for it. Face your fears.

Yes? Yes.

Okay.

Time to hit up the town. I’ve got to find a cool place to have a martini Sex in the City style like Kim suggested. Ha ha.

Comments

Mindy says:

Holy cow! You did awesome! Congratulations. I just LOVE reading your blog. You are the only blog I follow, and I just love how you always keep it real. It always puts a smile on my face. You rocked it. Enjoy your time in NYC!!!!

PS – So glad to hear that one of your stops did not include getting sick 🙂

Tracy Levine says:

Congratulations!! You are so freaking amazing Kristin!! You really inspire me to face my fears. Enjoy the rest of your trip and have a safe trip back home 🙂

You go girl! Awesome and congratulations! XOXO

Heather says:

Congratulations! Awesome job. My husband and I watched it on tv.
    Enjoy the city

Awesome job! Was thinking of you the entire time because it was just so windy and cold out there that I give everyone that ran today major credit dealing with those conditions. I hope you get a good taste of the city today, so many good foods and places to recommend I wouldn’t know where to start!

It was SO windy today (I’m about 40 miles north of NYC), I can’t even imagine being out in it all morning and then running 26.2! Congratulations on the race and facing fears! 🙂

Have a blast in the city – the worst weather is behind you! 🙂

Kathee says:

That is my dream marathon! Although it did look chilly! I run in snow so cold doesn’t bother me but oh my gosh I hate the wind. ew. Great job!!

Amazing!!! Congratulations girl!!! Running in the wind is so not fun but you did it and conquered it like a beast!!! Have fun celebrating in NYC!

Molly says:

Way to go – awesome job! I love following your running adventures and look forward to reading the full recap 🙂

Sasha says:

So awesome!! Stoked for you! Congratulations!!!

Congrats!!!! Can’t wait to hear more about the scary cab ride. 😉

natasha says:

You’re terrific! It was so windy and cold today up and down the east coast…I dreaded even being out for my farmer’s market jaunt.

Don’t know if could have handled a race especially so early in the morning…but at least it was just in “time” for the time change.

Congrats…enjoy the break and rest for a bit!

Becky says:

Nice work! You did it! Bundle up and enjoy the city. Let’s meet for a walk in the California sun when you get home!

Fit Fun Mom says:

Congratulations on your race, in tough conditions no less!! My favorite part of your recap was the police officer helping you with your pants. We might need more details about that. 🙂 I just love how you embraced the experience of the race and the day.

Catherine says:

Fabulous! You should be so proud!

Erica says:

You are INCREDIBLE!!

I am in absolute awe of everyone who ran today. It was so cold and windy today. So much courage and strength friend. I’m so happy for you and this experience and enjoy NYC!

Katy says:

I have never commented before but have read your blog for two years now. This post gave me goosebumps and your words at the end could not have come at a better time for me. You are amazing – keep being you. Thank you for inspiring me to “dream big” and “face my fears” XO.

Bonnie says:

Amazing! Well done! Conditions seemed tough from what I’ve read but you DID IT! Easy for me to believe you’d rock it – you always do! – but you pushed through fear and through up and down training and life and all the rest like you mentioned…WELL DONE! Enjoy that martini!

Lanna says:

So great seeing you today Kristen! Hope you had a great race & fabulous time in NYC! Catch ya back at the West Coast!

WooHoo! You are always awesome in my book!!! I love that you faced your fears (wind sucks and cold wind is even worse!!!) and ran another great race!
    Enjoy your time in the city – hope you find a great martini – I will be watching your instagram:)

RFC says:

Congrats lady! The wind was wicked over here in Vermont yesterday as well, I was thinking of all of you in NYC!

Proud of you! I’m in PA and definitely felt that bite from the wind. I however cowered in my corner and didn’t squeeze my run in… I have to give you SO much credit for sticking to your goal and running that marathon. You rock, Kris!!

Erika says:

You’re amazing. Such an inspiration. Beyond the running, as a mom, I can truly say I’m inspired. Not by just what you do running. I’m a mom of three, work part time, train, try and keep a clean home and make good food for my family. It’s tough and you do amazing at it. Don’t ever let anyone tell you different. Enjoy yourself in the big apple today.

Mary Ann says:

Oh my goodness! I watched the TV coverage and couldn’t believe the wind that you and all the runners had to (literally) face! Congrats on an awesome job. Great job on sticking it out, finishing strong and encouraging the rest of us. Now……rest, drink wine, eat, repeat….rest, drink wine, eat, repeat.

Wow awesome! A marathon without looking at your watch?! I need to learn to do that sometimes!

Chrissy says:

Good job! I did a half yesterday, and even down in NC it was pretty cold and windy. I thought of you, and all the NYC runners when I was dying in the cold. We had a headwind both ways!! How can that happen in an out and back course?

Melissa says:

Congrats! It was definitely a rough day out there but congrats on toughing it out! It was so great to meet you!

Beth M. says:

Congratulations! Truly an inspiration!

You did great! I tracked you and a friend of mine in town, and you guys had very similar splits and seemed to struggle in similar spots, which was interesting and probably said a lot about the conditions and the course. It was a tough day, and you did awesome and should be proud!

Shannon says:

Oh my gosh, you are just so awesome and inspiring…congratulations!

Amber says:

So proud of you for not deferring! When in Rome, right?
    I live in MD and heard howling winds all night Saturday and Sunday morning -I could not IMAGINE running through it for 26.2 miles. Though I did watch the race on my computer, so I had an idea of the nasty effect the wind had on everyone’s times.
    Congrats on getting #11 in the books 😀

Joe says:

Congrats on running such a tricky race, given the winds! You are fantastic! Coincidentally, my time running the 2013 NYC marathon was 3:31:53! Virtually the same time! How cool is that.

Congratulations, Kristin!!!